• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those Who Bought Both: Which Do You Prefer (So Far)

Those Who Bought Both: Which Do You Prefer (So Far)

• Total voters
Didn’t vote - Target PS5 is supposed to arrive today, but FedEx tracking hasn’t updated since it left Texas on Thursday. Putting it away until Christmas anyway so not too upset.

Posting to say that the Series X is amazing so far - I was half way through Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on the One X and it’s just so much more enjoyable to play on the Series X. The speed of fast travel is much more of a QOL improvement than I was expecting.

Wife has actually dominated it though, playing Planet Coaster on GamePass, and she’s never shown any interest in gaming beyond Nintendo before.

DavidGzz

One thing that surprised me, I love the look of both consoles in person. In pics I was like the PS5 is hideous, but now I smile at the size but I love the way it looks standing up from the side. I have them both sitting at an angle cause they look nice that way. I've also never felt two consoles feel so premium. From how fast they load, to how quiet they are, to how clean the picture looks all of the time.

The fact that I got a new OLED for the first time(CX) a week before makes it all the sweeter. I couldn't be happier. Now at my computer desk I can have both consoles and my pretty beefy PC on and can switch between them all very quickly. No other launch has provided me with so much content. So many enhanced games in both sides. I know some people downplay BC but between FH4, Gears 5, Ori, Ghost of Tshushima, Days Gone, etc, on top of the new games, I'm in heaven.

Hostile_18

Banned
Ready to post my thoughts now, as I wanted a bit of time with them both.

Series X
+ Love Gamepass Ultimate
+ OS customisation is a great feature (got rid lot of the bloat)
+ Emulation of PS2, Gamecube and N64 at 4K 60+ is amazing
+ "Free" first party titles for subscribers.
+ Auto HDR works well.
+ Store Refund policy rocks.

- Light on the controller is far too bright in a dark room. Is it really only elite controllers than can be dimmed MS?
- Not a fan of the textured grip (like sandpaper 😂).
-1080p OS.
- Subjective but I don't believe the first party games are as good as the Sony Exclusives for me (still fun though).

PS5
+ First party games rock.
+ Best controller I've ever used.
+ My huge digital library has been brought over.
+ SSD is super fast.

- Coil Whine massive issue (3 PS5's had it).
- External USB SSD repair look in rest mode.
- OS needs alot of work from a usability standpoint (but is feature richer than the PS4 at this point).

As for which is my favourite it has to be the PS5 (minus the hardware issues) because at the end of the day that's where I can play my favourite games. But the Series X has so many areas it beats the PS5 it really should be commended. It's definitely a generation it's worth owning both IMO.

Will edit and reflect more positives and negatives as they occur to me. 😊

Last edited:

Loope

One thing that surprised me, I love the look of both consoles in person. In pics I was like the PS5 is hideous, but now I smile at the size but I love the way it looks standing up from the side. I have them both sitting at an angle cause they look nice that way. I've also never felt two consoles feel so premium. From how fast they load, to how quiet they are, to how clean the picture looks all of the time.

The fact that I got a new OLED for the first time(CX) a week before makes it all the sweeter. I couldn't be happier. Now at my computer desk I can have both consoles and my pretty beefy PC on and can switch between them all very quickly. No other launch has provided me with so much content. So many enhanced games in both sides. I know some people downplay BC but between FH4, Gears 5, Ori, Ghost of Tshushima, Days Gone, etc, on top of the new games, I'm in heaven.
You sure got the muscles to handle it. ;)

Zimmy68

I love both and it is neck and neck but the Xbox Series X Quick Resume is the game changer they promised.
I also love the backward compatibility of the XSX. I have one version of Borderlands 3 and AC Valhalla.
On PS5 I have a PS4 and PS5 version of Immortals Fenyx Rising, Borderlands 3, Spider-Man, etc.
I do love the Dualsense controller.

I have both. There's no comparison. PS5 has the better games, the better controller, more interesting new UI features and runs third-party games just as well as the X, often even better.

Topher

Gold Member
Not going to vote since I don't have an XSX. But I can add to those praising the DualSense controller. Previously, the Xbox Elite Series 2 on PC was by far my favorite controller, but DualSense has taken its place. It is all about the haptics. The difference is significant. Is it a slam dunk? No. I definitely miss the back buttons on XS2 and I'm wondering if/when Sony will offer the attachment like they did DS4 or better yet, offer an "Elite" version of DualSense. Then it would be a slam dunk.

D.Final

Banned
Not going to vote since I don't have an XSX. But I can add to those praising the DualSense controller. Previously, the Xbox Elite Series 2 on PC was by far my favorite controller, but DualSense has taken its place. It is all about the haptics. The difference is significant. Is it a slam dunk? No. I definitely miss the back buttons on XS2 and I'm wondering if/when Sony will offer the attachment like they did DS4 or better yet, offer an "Elite" version of DualSense. Then it would be a slam dunk.
I can't wait to try this Dualsense

Moogle11

Banned
I’ve had my PS5 since 11/28 and XSX since 11/30. I’ve enjoyed both a lot, but I’ve used my XSX a lot more and changed my vote (don’t think I posted) as I was preferring the PS5 early on.

1. Just more to play there right now as I didn’t play many Xbox games the past couple of years as I fell off using my PC for gaming. So there’s ton’s for me to play on Gamepass and got a couple of years for cheap.

2. Have the Elite Version 1 controller and vastly prefer using that to the stock XSX controller or Dualsense (like the Dualsense more than the stock XSX controller though). So that has me gravitating to XSX for multiplats. Paddles are a game changer with not having to take my thumb off the right stick as much.

3. Just prefer the UI and features on the XSX. Can customize things, quick resume is great, it works it’s my Harmony remote so it’s better for streaming apps etc. (been using it some over my AppleTV so I can use my Steelseries headset instead of Airpods and their short battery life when watching stuff while the wife is working in the next room).

So it’s looking like I may end up “maining” the XSX and mostly having the PS5 for exclusives and online co-op stuff with PS only friends (also have a Switch and Switch Lite). That’s how I was in the 360/PS3 era (though online stuff was also on 360 as my friends didn’t have PS3s). So I’ve kind of always preferred the Xbox UI and general experience, but like Sony’s first party games more as a lover of cinematic, narrative-driven games.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I haven’t used my PS5 in a month.
I use my series X everyday because gears 5 and gamepass (the medium, call of the sea and others) , the Xbox gamepad is important too

i will only use my PS5 for real exclusive games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I didn't vote because I don't have a PS5, but I love my Series X and I DO like it better than my Switch :messenger_beaming:

Aenima

Not voted cuz only own a PS5, but the PS5 is the console im most liking from the start. BC and 60fps helps alot in enjoying an earlier console much more.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Series X for me. Sea of Thieves @ 120fps seals the deal. I genuinely didn't think at the start of this gen that there would be as large a difference between 60 and 120 but I'm happy to be wrong.

I got my Series X on Friday so I can finally jump in on this.
I've always been a PlayStation guy first and foremost, but I've owned every console since the 6th generation (minus Gamecube) and have great memories on every system.

So far I actually prefer the Series X over the PS5 though that could change at any point.

Series X
+ Looks: It's beautiful to look at, and blends in easily. They packed so much power into such a nice looking package, and it's not only smaller then the PS5 but more powerful at the same time. Shout out to the Xbox/Surface engineering and design teams.
+ Backwards Compatibility: One of the first things I did was download 4 BC titles (GTA IV/FFXIII/NG2/Portal 2) and it's great. I owned a Xbox One X for awhile so I know how Xbox BC works but it's just great to jump into GTA IV and just have a locked 60fps experience even if it's 720p (I recently played through the story on my PC before it took a shit and while I was playing at 1080p or above it just had these stupid stutters constantly and was jarring). FFXIII, Portal, and Ninja Gaiden all look amazing at 4K.
+ Forza Horizon 4 @ 4K/60: I just fucking love this game so much, and it just looks and feels so great on Series X. My Pc could do 1440p/60 with dynamic High settings but I much prefer this experience. It's one old game but man it needs a shoutout on its own.
+ Game Pass: This is such a great deal. I don't see how anybody could honestly disagree with that. Game Pass is on pc and yeah it's cheaper but it's sort of trash in comparison outside of a few of the big titles. I've never been one to play "PC centric" outside of LoL for awhile and flight sims when I was a kid so a good number of the titles don't interest me at all.
- No exclusives: As much as I love FH4 it would be nice to have something I can only play there. This is probably the biggest slight against it IMO. I never planned on getting the Series X since I have a PC so a lot of the new next gen titles I bought on PS5 which if I had known I would have saved a couple so I had more to play on here. I would have loved to be playing Yakuza 7 on Series X vs PS5.
- Headsets: As someone who has a PS5/XSX/Switch/PC it would be great to have a headset that works everywhere but Xbox uses some proprietary system for wireless so I would have to buy a new headset to have wireless everywhere. I'm looking at the Arctis 7X which works wirelessly on everything but I don't feel like spending another $150 right now.

PlayStation 5
+ Games: It has actual exclusives, and seems to match Series X in most 3rd party titles power wise. I'm not far in Miles Morales but it's good fun and the RT@60fps mode is great. Also shout out to Astros Playroom because that shit is one of my favorite games of 2020.
+ Controller: Dualsense is amazing, but I do miss the smaller size of the Dualshock 4. The Series X controller is smaller then the XBO which I really like but PlayStation went bigger which I'm not a fan for. I have normal size hands but I use a very light grip which made the DS4 great.
- Backwards Compatibility: It's nowhere close to Xbox but at least it's there. 1 you have to like go in some stupid side menu to get the PS5 version of a game sometimes which is fucking stupid and means you end up downloading the PS4 version by accident because it's all one icon. Series X is smart enough to know to just download the Series X version.
- Looks: I don't hate it but it's so fucking big. I get that the PS4 Pro was a jet engine and they wanted to make sure they made a quiet and cool system but jesus christ it's gigantic and hard to fit into a space. I got the digital (which I sort of regret despite being 90% digital) which does look better then the disc version but it's still huge and the fucking fins are dumb looking.
- UI: Yeah it's 4K but it's stupid. It takes so many extra steps to do something easy, and it's a step back from PS4 Pro in everything but looks IMO. On PS4 Pro and Series X I can just hold the button to turn it off but on PS5 I have to tap it and go to the right which is opposite of everything else. When I go to my library I have to scroll down BUT THEN BACK UP to cycle through sections, and it's the same with the store. WHY JUST WHY.
- I know this may not be everybody but I know other people that have it (Colin Moriarty for example) but my console doesn't connect to PSN until like 30-60 seconds after I turn it on.

I love my PS5, and as I said I'm a PS guy. Most of my gaming history is with PS, and I've always gone back to PS despite owning other platforms but at this point in time I'm voting Series X.

Hostile_18

Banned
Love all these posts because you know in most cases someone who has both is giving an informed opinion rather than pushing an agenda. Keep them coming 😁

Looking at the poll results about even, that's a great come back for Microsoft this generation and sets us up for amazing competition which always leads to great games/policies for everyone.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not voting, only got a Series S so far. Love quick resume, the SSD, the size of the thing and it looks 🔥 on my 24inch 144hz monitor.

The PS5 looks class. Can’t wait to try the DualSense on Sony’s first party. The size and shape of the console initially put me off, but the more I look at it in people’s homes; it looks like a stylised, small PC tower.

GametimeUK

I own both, but also own a capable gaming PC which is relevant as it impacts my Xbox experience.

I'll start with the PS5. It's an amazing device and I really appreciate the backwards compatibility and enhanced games. One shining feature of the console is the controller. When it comes to ergonomics I still prefer other controllers, but it makes a solid case to use a Dualsense in none competitive games due to the immersion if the Dualsense is used well. The PS+ collection has a great selection of titles to play. The user interface in general is fine, the console seems to have some coil whine, I don't like how it looks, but I also don't care how it looks. The consoles big feature is the software. Astro, Miles, Sackboy, Demon's Souls has been a very good launch line up that Xbox doesn't have an answer for. This console is rather bog standard in feature set and policies, but ultimately has the better "next gen" games.

I recently purchased Xbox Series X and I must say it's a much better box in terms of how it looks, but once again I don't care how it looks. It's actually behind my TV out of sight. The controller is better in my hand, but lacks the feature set of the Dualsense. Backwards compatibility with so many Xbox, 360, One games AND the Xbox One controllers (yay for my elite controller) is the massive selling point for me. I have so many classics installed along with Retroarch for emulation. The store is much better, Gamepass is beastly so I have so many games to play that I haven't tried. The sour point is a lot is available on PC, bit on the flip side my console can be played easier in a family setting and I can cross save and continue gaming solo on my PC when I'm alone. Digital refunds for software should be standard and Xbox handles it well. I love auto HDR, 1440p output,Ori looks stunning at 4k 60fps (I hook the Series up to a monitor sometimes or my monitor PG279Q). So many 360 games and even standard Xbox games like SSX3 have had graphic enhancements. It's the ultimate backwards compatible console. No coil whine either.

In summary the console feature set of the Xbox is fantastic and so are the policies. As you can see though I have failed to list any exclusives and a lot is available on PC. VRR support is sick.

For Sony the games are just ultimately better and I think the games will be better throughout the gen as history will probably repeat itself. I just don't like the actual console as much as the Xbox with the Xbox features, but ultimately software is what matters.

Xbox for classic games, Sony for newer games, multiplats on whatever console digital foundry say runs better. It's a wrap. Both fantastic boxes. Gaming is alive.

waquzy

I bought both on launch day from John Lewis. Since then, I sold the XSX for a bit of profit. I kept the PS5

Mr.ODST

Have Both and love both,

PS5:
Pro's

- Has actual exclusives to play, Demon Souls, Miles Morales and Astro Bot look incredible
- Nice UI
- Dualsense is next gen and I hope it doesnt get too gimmicky but good use of it so far
- Card system can become quite useful but literally not used in many games

Cons
- Worst controller i've EVER had for FPS, literally put me off completely, not sure why
- Not really much else to play outside of DS, MM, AB
- Coil While
- Shape and Look of it
- Confusion on Next-Gen versions of PS4 games and how to get them downloaded.

Xbox Series X
Pro's

- Backwards Compatibility
- Ease of Next-Gen versions
- Controller with the added texture feels amazing
- Quick Resume
- Console looks great
- Make it VERY clear whats X/S enhanced
- MS cloud save system is incredible

Con's
- Connection issues
- Nothing to play on it outside of Xbox One games
- Terrible online playerbase if its not cross-play
- Didnt launch with Halo

I also have a Series S and biggest upside is that its literally my travel console, light and small, easy to carry and get those next gen load times at lower resolution.

Vote goes to Series X - Going to be amazing to see where both consoles are at in 2 years both are great machines.

Last edited:
i use my Xbox everyday. I think i've used my PS5 maybe 5 times. Im thinking of unplugging it for awhile. Its just taking up space.

This is mostly due to me also preferring Xbox over PS4. And PS5 is just a huge PS4. The Xbox ecosystem, consoles and controllers are just much better to me. So i end up playing everything on Xbox instead of playstation. Also storage space. I have like 188 games on xbox. And maybe 13 on PS5. Until Avengers gets good again, God of War 2 comes out and i have time to dive into Ghost of Tsushima. PS5 gonna be on the shelf.

im mostly playing Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Assassins Creed Origins and random sports games from gamepass. Since i mostly play shooters. The Xbox elite controller dictates that i play everything on xbox.

Ive had both since day one and its the PS5 so far.

PS5
pros
-new controller is fantastic, I prefer it much more than the cramped feeling of the elite 2.
-games now, played the shit out of Demons Souls and looks spectacular
-games that I want are coming in the recent future.

cons
-new UI sucks ass. Last gen was so much cleaner and it takes multiple steps to get anything done.

XSX
pros
-fantastic looking design, its very minimal but over all I like both, but don't really care what they look like anyway.
-flight sim coming in summer. Cant wait
-better UI but why only 1080p...
-you can purchase a 3 year warranty for $60 right from MS

cons
-lack of first party games now.
-not a fan of the controller
-gamepass overrated. But I want new games not old games so maybe it's not meant for me but I jumped in the cheap deal so I have it paid until dec 2023.

Moogle11

Banned
-gamepass overrated. But I want new games not old games so maybe it's not meant for me but I jumped in the cheap deal so I have it paid until dec 2023.
Yeah, I love Gamepass, but just because there’s a lot for me to catch up on. I only had an Xbox One for a year or so (around the time of Rise of the Tomb Raider, Halo 5 and Quantum Break). Sold it when I got a gaming PC since PlayAnywhere had started, but I ended up not really getting into PC gaming so the only Xbox games I played after that point were Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4 and Gears 5. So I have a decent amount to catch up on there between exclusives and shorter games like Man of Medan, Night in the Woods, Tell me Why that I wanted to play but hadn’t been motivated to buy as they’re so short. Also want to relay the Halo campaigns before Infinite, maybe replay Gears campaigns at some point etc.

Time will tell if Gamepass is something I want a permanent sub to, or if I just go to buying a month or three. When enough new things hit to make it worth it free my cheap couple of years are up. Will depend on them ace of new games hitting the service once I’m caught up.

In general I love the concept though and hope Sony and Nintendo do something simIlar at some point, even if it’s not all new games day and date and just more sooner than what PS Now has gotten so far. I don’t care to own games as I don’t collect and don’t replay all that often and I’m all about keeping costs down as I get older and more focused on my retirement accounts.

Series X by a mile.

Should have waited for the PS5 until there’s something I want to play (probably Ratchet), but oh well. Luckily could afford it and managed to get both.

Moogle11

Banned
Series X by a mile.

Should have waited for the PS5 until there’s something I want to play (probably Ratchet), but oh well. Luckily could afford it and managed to get both.
Yeah that’s my view as well. I couldn’t get into Demon’s Souls, so PS5 hasn’t had much I wanted to play after Miles Morales and Astrobot. I’ve been playing some PS4 stuff, trying to get back into Monster Hunter World as I just bought the Iceborne DLC—had sold the base game before it was announced, but it’s in the PS+ collection so decided to give it a go and grab the expansion since it was on sale.

To be fair, while I’m playing my XSX more, it’s also all old games (other than the Medium, and that was hardly a system seller experience). I just have a lot more last gen games to catch up on there and it’s cheap to play stuff I missed on Gamepass. If I’d been as caught up on Xbox games as I am PS4 and not had the indies and things like Doom Eternal on Gamepass that were on my list to get to, it would be just as unappealing as the PS5 line up for me right now.

I imagine this will be my last time buying consoles at launch. Hype got to me this time as I’d finally gotten a 4K/HDR TV and was itching for the new consoles despite knowing from many past launches that it’s better to wait a year or two for more next-gen exclusives to be out—even more so now with cross gen games being a thing.

But like you, I could afford it and I doubt I’d have held out for price drops or hardware revisions as I’d want the best version of things like Horizon 2 and Halo Infinite and next gen exclusives like Ratchet. So I don’t regret it and if anything it was more affordable last yean than this as I had some extra side income that I don’t this year and we got hit with some home repair expenses this year. So glad I got the TV and next gen consoles upgrade out of the way last year—-though I’d probably splurge for a Switch Pro if that’s a thing.

HoofHearted

Have both. Love both.

Agree with general consensus comments and pro/con points of those that actually have both.

Interesting the number of coil whine posts. My PS5 doesn’t have it. The one I bought for my nephew does. My XSX is dead silent.

Dual sense is evolutionary, not revolutionary. It’s annoying on some games so I turn off the features... Overall I still prefer my Elite controller.

I played PS5 more when I first bought it, now playing XSX more often. Will probably give Destruction AllStars a good run through because it looks like mindless arcade fun.

Neither system has a true “next gen” game in their lineups yet.

My PS5 tends to crash more. The OS UI is decent but buggy.

While not as pretty, the XSX OS and UI are much more stable and user friendly. A game crash doesn’t bring down the XSX.

Didn’t vote BTW.

I have both consoles.

PS5:

+Good controller with great haptics.
+I think the design is neat.
+Sony makes good 1st party titles.
+The design of the hardware should allow for some good gameplay experiences.

-I am not a fan of the UI. It is way too difficult to do things like adjust the headset chat audio. Finding friends that are online easily is also an issue.
-Sony policies from 'dumb' delivery and the anti consumer return policy stink.
-Hardware build issues mar the experience. Coil whine being chief among them.
-Still no way to expand the storage for PS5 games.
-Noisy optical drive.

XSX:

+UI is refined and intuitive. Friends lists and voice chat is easy to use.
+Console is whisper quiet. Even the optical drive is much quieter than the competition.
+Everything just works. When updating titles it's done automatically. Quick resume is an awesome feature.
+Superior backwards compatibility. Games always look and run significantly better than one older hardware.
+Gamepass is the best deal in gaming

-Controller is uninspired.
-The only platform with no exclusive games.

I think the XSX is the better experience right now. PS5 is still waiting for features it should have launched with. I like that the XSS offers a way for people with less money to still get into gaming and expanding the industry is good for everyone.

Cornbread78

Sigh. This is a tough one.

I had to stick with PS5, but this is the most I've ever played an XBox that I buy and I've been loving the experience.

It'll be amazing once this gen matures and there are more games to choose from on both consoles

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Since I have only turned my XBSX on a few times over three weeks and play the PS5 daily I am going to have to say PS5. It is my daily driver. I do not regret either purchase because XBSX will get here eventually.

RGB'D

PS5 definitely has more glam, and "wow" factor. Dual Sense is amazing. The size is great and I don't generally like PS controllers. I hope that the first party take advantage of the features because it is great. It can be a touch "much" at some points in Astrobot but is a really cool innovation. I do worry about the longevity of the controller a little. Miles Morales looks great and I am really excited for Spiderman 2, God of War 2, and Ratchet and Clank. HZD is decent fun so I will give the next game a try eventually. I really enjoy just swinging around and felt validated in my purchase after playing that. It definitely feels next gen. I did have some weird artifacting that makes me a little cautious for the consoles lifespan, and looked like GPU problems. SONY tech support helped me reinstall the OS (after I had already done it once, and tried different cables/inputs/TVs) and it magically fixed itself on the second go but I hope it doesn't creep back up. God it's so ugly though. I have it hidden on the back bottom shelf but it lights up like a Christmas tree and is so very white... I'm loving Miles, but don't see it getting more use until maybe Returnal(?) once I beat it

My Xbox Series X on the other hand was way less exciting at first. But damn if it doesn't hold up. The Xbox controller, although lacking in innovation is still the most comfortable, and best designed controller IMO. I have always preferred them (and grudgingly adapted to PS2/PS3/PS4 controllers over the years. But Gamepass/Xbox Ecosystem is fantastic. Quick resume is amazing. Auto HDR is amazing as well. I am a PC primary so naturally probably have an affinity for the Xbox ecosystem, but it is so convenient to just have my library available that performs vastly better, even if it hasn't been next gen upgraded. Above all, it is just solid. From it's minimalist form factor to having not a single crash or glitch, I have had a great experience with it. Not having Halo does suck, but Call of the Sea was a great surprise, and I finished Witcher 3, Doom 2016, and have been exploring Gamepass. Lack of first party output is a problem, but Xbox bleeds into my PC time with Gamepass, and I have spent entirely too much time playing Flight Sim, and Age of Empires II and III remasters on PC. I just started playing Cyber Shadow which is incredible. PC Gamepass is still is a part of my investment in Xbox Series X and makes my investment more worth it. This gen feels like much different approaches but this time instead of differentiating by a useless tracking camera, they have by making the best subscription service a integral part of the console and opened players up to flexible gaming in many avenues.

TLDR: Both consoles are fantastic. PS5 is more glamorous, but XBOX edges it for me because it's ecosystem and controller are phenomenal.

Top Bottom