• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those disappointed by the Switch OLED should perhaps consider this..

Ryu Kaiba

The One X Player

Its a portable beefcake that can run a PC games pretty well, so it already has a large library of games
Its got a large 8.4" IPS screen 2560 x 1600 (but its not even OLED)
Its got a thunderbolt 4 port so it's able to connect to an EGPU and become even more of a powerhouse for desktop use.
And it can even run emulators all the way up to dolphin very well. (assuming you have a hard copy of said games you intend to play of course of course)
Price ranges from $819 up to $1500
Yeah its expensive, but if you're gonna complain that the switch is "underpowered" then be ready to pay up lol.

In all seriousness, I think it's a pretty neat device and love the portability and functionality of it but I don't know if it makes sense for anyone over a Switch or a Gaming laptop. what do you guys think?

jigglet

Banned
Looks like shit. Reminds me of my Microsoft Surface: jack of all trades, master of none. An interface not designed for touch so it makes a shit tablet. A big ass hinge and dense keyboard to act as a counterweight that makes the whole package way too heavy. A ton of other design quirks that makes it a meh tablet and meh laptop. This smells like the same.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If you’re gonna have a new console make it worth while, nothing about the switch oled (old) is better for the most part. What’s going on at Nintendo HQ?

Calverz

Looks like shit. Reminds me of my Microsoft Surface: jack of all trades, master of none. An interface not designed for touch so it makes a shit tablet. A big ass hinge and dense keyboard to act as a counterweight that makes the whole package way too heavy. A ton of other design quirks that makes it a meh tablet and meh laptop. This smells like the same.
The first couple surfaces were shit. Now they are the shit

Fbh

What is the battery life like?
Also it seems really bulky. The Switch is already too big for a portable device IMO, this is like twice as big. At that point and if I'm already going to spend $1500 I'd honestly just get a gaming laptop instead.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

If you’re gonna have a new console make it worth while, nothing about the switch oled (old) is better for the most part. What’s going on at Nintendo HQ?
It's pretty much just a refresh. To me it improves the initial design up to where it should have been at launch, getting rid of the massive bezels, OLED screen, ethernet built in etc.
Switch players want to play switch games…. How does this help them exactly?
But it doesn't play Nintendo's games. That's why I buy Nintendo hardware.
Well it can via emulators, apparently even Switch games.
EDIT: according to the video it runs some of them well but some say it doesn't but regardless you're correct I wouldn't purchase it for the purpose of Switch games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You can poorly emulate them with constant first-time stutters and graphical errors ofc! Silly Pagusas.

Yeah I agree, its not a good replacement for a Switch, great for Dolphin probably, but thats 15 year old HW. Paying nearly a thousand for mobile GC/Wii/Wii-U emulation seems mental to me though.

I keep checking in on Switch emulation and its always this:

"Now it runs at FLAWLESS 60fps at X resolution!"

Then I try it and it still has tons of first-time shader compilation stutter and I'm like how is this any different than framerate drops, in a way its worse because you can't just cap to a lower refresh rate/fps and keep it lower but at least constant. I can't be arsed with that anymore, I just wait for emulation to be "perfect" nowadays, its moving very fast so I can see it being as good as Dolphin in a few years.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I been looking at these handheld pcs, constantly trying to convince myself there's no need for me to get one. I still want one though.

I think the Aya Neo is the better option at the moment though. It's a smaller screen than the One X Player, but the One X Player will not be able to drive 1080p60 games on it's screen anyways, so you'll have to run at a lower resolution and because the screen is bigger, the pixels will look worse. The One X Player is from a seemingly more experienced company though, so quality overall might be better.

Alebrije

Those devices are cool but honestly I wont spend 800 to 1500 US on a portable that can not interchange sticks...once they start drifting you are done.

jigglet

Banned
I wouldnt know. I dont own one.

The hinge adds a lot of weight. And the tablet part is relatively heavy so they had to make the keyboard heavy too to act as a counterweight. So the whole package is really heavy compared to other modern laptops. It would be worth it if the tablet feature was good but Windows is SO bad as a touch-based OS. If you want a Surface get the one without the removable screen. That one is actually very good. The one with the removable screen is D tier level trash.

If you want a tablet just buy a regular Surface and a separate iPad IMO. Total cost is probably around the same.

Last edited:

Codes 208

“Price ranges from 819 to 1500”

no thanks, for that price I’d rather just get a legit gaming rig, not some gimmick

Ryu Kaiba

I managed to turn my Galaxy Tab s6 into an pretty competent emulation device which makes this even more unnecessary.

Karamina

Neo Member
I been looking at these handheld pcs, constantly trying to convince myself there's no need for me to get one. I still want one though.

I think the Aya Neo is the better option at the moment though. It's a smaller screen than the One X Player, but the One X Player will not be able to drive 1080p60 games on it's screen anyways, so you'll have to run at a lower resolution and because the screen is bigger, the pixels will look worse. The One X Player is from a seemingly more experienced company though, so quality overall might be better.

Don't buy it, is too expensive (around 800$), not that powerfull and buttons are crap. i'm waiting for the Aya Neo 2 with the next AMD mobile APUs.

and don't forget that Valve and Apple are interested by this kind of devices, i'm preety sure that Premium portable console will be the next step in Video Game, Microsoft should try something.

Corgi1985

Banned
Why is the defense always "you ain't getting a portable ps4 lol stop complaining." We don't want a powerhouse, just need enough power for steady 30fps on games that look like they came from the gamecube era.

Last edited:

recursive

Why is the defense always "you ain't getting a portable ps4 lol stop complaining." We don't want a powerhouse, just need enough power for steady 30fps on games that look like they came from the gamecube era.
Agree mostly but it's about time nintendo embraced last gen at least docked.

Bragr

Banned
PC games work best on PC, handheld PC gaming ain't to aim for. Nintendo makes games scaled to TV and handheld.

oagboghi2

Thank you?

Why is this so hard for people to understand.

Probably because that is what people are always crying for?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Boy you are in luck, Skyward Sword is already 60fps on Switch

Top Bottom