• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor 3: Ragnarok Review Thread

?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Neophant

I'm a big DCEU fan but I am super excited to see Thor 3. Taika Waititi made my favourite film of 2015 with What We Do in the Shadows (second being Mad Max: Fury Road) and I'm OK with the Thor films. Thor 1 is underrated, with the pathos of Loki finding out his true heritage and Thor losing his hammer, and while Thor 2: The Dark World was very mediocre in my opinion, it did have my favourite Loki scene.

On one hand, I'm glad Marvel made it clear first and foremost that Thor 3 is going to be largely comedic. It gives me a set level of expectation that I wasn't comfortable with when I had seen Doctor Strange, which largely kept pulling me out of the story with it's constant one-liners, quips, and drama-breaking moments.

But on the other hand, I've been a huge fan of the Ragnarok storyline (having the Walter Simonson omnibus on a shelf just a few steps away from here), and I'm worried that I'll be disappointed with some of the ways that particularly storyline (don't want to go too heavy into spoilers in regards to big character moments) will be adapted. It's kind of similar to how I felt Marvel and the Russo Brothers adapted the Civil War storyline by Mark Millar for the movie of the same name, except that for the most part I felt they did it better.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that while I'm glad that Thor 3 is going for a more humorous, family-friendly and strikingly visual aesthetic, I'm also wary that the reviews make it seem like it's going to pander to the general audience. That instead of trying to make them care about the characters and their journey, it's going to be a path that leads from one joke to the next. I do have faith in Waititi being able to balance that fine line, but part of me remains ambivalent if his direction and sensibility will be compatible with how the Marvel films have been as of late.

Replicant

I guarantee you that the folks complaining about BvS Martha never knew they had the same name.

image.php

Budi

I've never been this excited about a Marvel flick before, well Logan is close. Doing something bit new and different gets me really curious.

Fhtagn

You guys forgot the mediocrity of The Incredible Hulk. At least Iron Man 2 has RDJ. I'm not sure what Incredible Hulk has going for it - if it has anything at all.

The opening half hour or so of this movie is solidly great on-the-run action/thriller territory.

Then it squanders it all and ends up mediocre. Also the CGI has not aged well at all, he looks like a giant sponge wrapped in rubber or something.

Still near the bottom of the pile for me, along side Iron Man 2 and Thor 2.

(And controversially Iron Man 3, though I think that’s the most YMMV film of the entire MCU; I can see why someone would have it as their favorite film in the batch, but just not me. Some of the jokey bits just don’t land for me and they go on for so long. The rest is good. I doubt anyone full on loves IM2 or TIH over the rest of the series.)

JayCB

Fuck yes! Thank god DC kept the legacy that is murderous Batman. Fucking blowing holes in people left and right...classic Batman.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is joyless Superman. Fucking letting his Dad die in a tornado left and right...classic Superman.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is dead Jimmy Olsen. Fucking getting shot in the face without saying a line left and right...classic Jimmy Olsen.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is an intimidating Joker. Fucking having forehead tattoos, making cat noises and adding nothing the plot left and right...classic Joker.

You know it's true.

Just think about it, a bunch of people go, "hahahaha they have the same name. What a stupid reason to stop fighting... now they're best friends! HAHAHAHA!"

But in reality they never knew that the mothers had the same name. Snyder teached a bunch of a comic nerds some info they never knew. Snyder one up'd y'all.

In short:
giphy.gif

You know it's true.

Just think about it, a bunch of people go, "hahahaha they have the same name. What a stupid reason to stop fighting... now they're best friends! HAHAHAHA!"

But in reality they never knew that the mothers had the same name. Snyder teached a bunch of a comic nerds some info they never knew. Snyder one up'd y'all.

In short:
giphy.gif
But why would that coincidence matter to either of them? It's an idiotic plot device.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You know it's true.

Now you are just getting sloppy.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is joyless Superman. Fucking letting his Dad die in a tornado left and right...classic Superman.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is dead Jimmy Olsen. Fucking getting shot in the face without saying a line left and right...classic Jimmy Olsen.

Thank god DC kept the legacy that is an intimidating Joker. Fucking having forehead tattoos, making cat noises and adding nothing the plot left and right...classic Joker.

It's about integrity in comic book movies.

I really, really enjoyed BvS but the liberties taken with Bats were about the largest and most egregious since Burton.

I'm still uncertain why Snyder tried to use The Dark Knight Returns as a springboard for a new DC universe, especially considering the entire crux of Miller's work was that it was essentially an ENDING to the character.

Seems like he wanted to go from the ending and work backwards from it to the usual Batman again from the looks of things

Certain elements could have been handled better but I'm glad we got older meaner Batman at the end of the day

I liked that he was essentially one of the villains of the movie throughout most of it.

Budi

You know it's true.

What? So they are brothers?
8pTSVjV.gif

The Kree

Banned
You know it's true.

In short:
giphy.gif

It's meaningless trivia poorly disguised as a profound revelation. People recognize this.

Kaizer

Banned
You know it's true.

In short:
giphy.gif

"Hey guys, Batman & Superman's moms have the same first name! Betcha didn't know that huh NERDS!?!"

giphy.gif

NotLiquid

You know it's true.

In short:
giphy.gif

Davide

I'm still uncertain why Snyder tried to use The Dark Knight Returns as a springboard for a new DC universe, especially considering the entire crux of Miller's work was that it was essentially an ENDING to the character.
Even to someone like me who's absolutely a casual fan and the only Batman comic I've read is Dark Knight Returns, I was really confused by that too.

IHaveIce

Banned
I just want Marvel to respect their legacy. You never hear me whining about the Captain America movies, or Iron Man, hell, I didn't love Spider-Man but I could tell that it was a good adaptation of his early comics.

What people sometimes don't understand is that these movies are what is gonna be referenced when those characters are brought up. That amazing, amazing, amazing Ragnarok comic? It might as well never existed, because Ragnarok + Thor is now a silly buddy comedy, forever.

Lapping up to the people who are laughing at these characters and turning them into clowns feels unethical to me.

But what do I know, I'm a haterzz

Let it be known that a friend of mine linked me to this post and he is not even on gaf. He just found it and had to laugh.

And so do I, never change, pls

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh man this going to destroy Justice League

Critically, there's no question. Box office wise, they're coming off the Wonder Woman hype. And it's a live action movie called "Justice League." It should still make bank.

Though BvS underperformed and that should have been an easy $1b movie, so who knows?

I saw something on Twitter that WB is not doing a press junket for the movie, which is a bit worrying.

Buckle

Oh man this going to destroy Justice League
Would be pretty funny if it did (I'm certainly expecting this to be the better movie) considering JL is supposed to be their Avengers but I'm guessing Justice League will be fine as long as its not dog shit like BVS and probably has a chance at beating Ragnarok at the box office.

DC brand still carries weight even if WB have done their best to try to mangle it.

Critically, there's no question. Box office wise, they're coming off the Wonder Woman hype. And it's a live action movie called "Justice League." It should still make bank.

Though BvS underperformed and that should have been an easy $1b movie, so who knows?

I saw something on Twitter that WB is not doing a press junket for the movie, which is a bit worrying.

And surely you kept reading and saw it's because the press junket is on London...

This is why people thought Thor Ragnarok was 90 minutes. Repeating half-truths ain't helpful.

Shaanyboi

Banned
You know it's true.

In short:
giphy.gif

Does Spider-Man curl up and cry every time he meets Ben Urich on a rooftop?

Kinda dumb that the movie opens on 27th here in Swe. Stranger Things S2 and Mario Odyssey will keep my plenty busy that whole day and weekend.

Guess i will see it the week after or so.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Kinda dumb that the movie opens on 27th here in Swe. Stranger Things S2 and Mario Odyssey will keep my plenty busy that whole day and weekend.

Guess i will see it the week after or so.

That's like saying it is dumb to release it that weekend because that is when all the people will be going to Halloween parties.

JustinBB7

Just got home from a special premiere, movie is fun as fuck. Really enjoyed it. Trailer was pretty misleading at some parts actually! Which was good of course. Action was amazing and fast, and lots of comedy.

At the theater a guy told us no pictures/videos and then showed a security team with infrared cams to see if you were trying to leak stuff. Pretty cool to see.

Top Bottom