• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This year's county fair food fad - deep-fried Kool-Aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Time newsfeed: This Was Inevitable - Deep-Fried Kool-Aid Balls on Sale at California County Fair

QJd1i.jpg

This is America, the land our Founding Fathers built on certain unalienable rights—namely those of life, liberty and the pursuit of deep-frying everything we can possibly think of. Which includes, apparently, Kool-Aid.

An ABC News video shows a vendor at a county fair making the deep-fried balls of Kool-Aid. "Chicken" Charlie Boghosian starts by creating a thick, sherbert-like mix of the drink powder, flour and water. He then uses a ice-cream scooper to drop balls of the mix into the fryer. After a minute bobbing, he pulls them out, comparing them to doughnut holes. The cherry flavor really comes through, he says. At this point, one feels equally inspired to make comments about American-style ingenuity and American-style obesity.

This isn't the first time ole Chicken Charlie, named after the food trailers he trots around to California fairs, has gotten ink for his culinary experiments. One LA Weekly article calls him "the inventor of the deep-fried oreo" (though this seems like a controversial title, given that other people have laid claim to "beignets' country cousins"). The same story details his previous deep-fried feats:

In 2007, he gave the world deep-fried Coca Cola, frog legs, and Elvis' favorite peanut butter banana and honey sandwiches; in 2008, it was deep-fried White Castle burgers, spam, and pop tarts. This year, he did it again: a hot dog inside a hollowed-out zucchini boat, battered, deep-fried and served on a stick -- a creation he affectionately calls the zucchini-weeni; and a classic s'more, deep-fried in pancake batter.
That, folks, is a man living his version of the American dream. Oh yeah.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68EP0C9lzyU

Other deep-fried stuff this guy's trying out for the first time:

Deep-Fried Girl Scout Cookies — Thin Mints

Puts the iconic Girl Scout cookie into a sweet batter and a hot fryer. This revisits vendor “Chicken” Charlie Boghosian’s origins: He caused a fair-circuit sensation when he invented Deep-Fried Oreos. Oddly enough, deep frying Thin Mints — that minty, chocolate wafer coated in chocolate — steps this up from girly-fundraiser-cookie to man-diet material. Still, I’m Team-Samoas.

FryBQ Ribs

With a crunchy crust and as much meat as a scrawny chicken wing, the good parts of this dish are its spicy, albeit alarmingly pink, sauce and the bed of skinny fries underneath. This one gets by just because it’s in the taboo food group. “We want what we can’t have,” Chicken Charlie explains about our fascination with his fried foods. His grilled chicken-breast kebabs are big savory logs and his top sellers, though.

Deep-Fried Brownie

Like a pain au chocolat — except that croissant is fried cake and filled with a melted brownie reminiscent of Easy-Bake Oven dessert goo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Damn, I bet this tastes good. Fried oreos are fantastic.

Just don't pig out on this stuff. No worries then.

Dresden

Deep fried thin mints has potential. It'll be crispy on the outside, piping hot on the inside, all that mint turned gooey from the heat...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This actually sounds pretty tame compared to past deep-fried stuff. These are basically doughnut holes with cherry Kool-aid inside them.

FryBQ Ribs

With a crunchy crust and as much meat as a scrawny chicken wing, the good parts of this dish are its spicy, albeit alarmingly pink, sauce and the bed of skinny fries underneath. This one gets by just because it’s in the taboo food group. “We want what we can’t have,” Chicken Charlie explains about our fascination with his fried foods. His grilled chicken-breast kebabs are big savory logs and his top sellers, though.

Sounds AMAZING. We have a restaurant that serves deep fried taco's here and they are really good.

kamspy

When I worked at Hooters I deep fried the bacon in the morning because frying it took too long. No one ever noticed.

Dresden

XiaNaphryz said:
This actually sounds pretty tame compared to past deep-fried stuff. These are basically doughnut holes with cherry Kool-aid inside them.
Yeah, it doesn't sound that bad. It's not like he's deep-frying balls of chopped up bacon larded up with mayo.

Tobor

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's really not that big of a deal. It's like bread drenched with Kool-Aid and then they fry the bread.

You dudes never eat any fried foods? This is tame.

Pretty much. It's a Kool-Aid flavored doughnut hole. Even says it in the article.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
QJd1i.jpg

Oh Jonathan Frakes, what has become of you? You should be making First Contact II: Electric Boogaloo.

b1BXt.jpg

Mmmm, southern fried bacon.

The name alone sounds ridiculous, but
a thick, sherbert-like mix of the drink powder, flour and water. He then uses a ice-cream scooper to drop balls of the mix into the fryer. After a minute bobbing, he pulls them out, comparing them to doughnut holes.
does not seem very outlandish. It's just a type of flavored donut.

Azriell

This sounds really gross. Don't get me wrong, I love fried stuff, but this doesn't sound good at all. Comparing it to donut holes only makes it sound worse as far as I'm concerned. Donut holes are supposed to be chocolately and awesome, not fruity. But maybe I'm just closed-minded.

joelseph

Azriell said:
This sounds really gross. Don't get me wrong, I love fried stuff, but this doesn't sound good at all. Comparing it to donut holes only makes it sound worse as far as I'm concerned. Donut holes are supposed to be chocolately and awesome, not fruity. But maybe I'm just closed-minded.

Don't go to many bakery's? Make much toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom