• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This tiny Xbox controller from 8BitDo is designed for Microsoft’s xCloud service

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

8bitdoxboxcontroller2.jpeg

Microsoft is planning to launch its xCloud game streaming service later this year as part of Xbox Game Pass, and accessory makers are getting ready. 8BitDo, a company that specializes in retro and modern alternative gamepads, has adapted its retro NES controller for Microsoft’s Project xCloud service.

The tiny Bluetooth controller is designed to be compatible with all Android smartphones and tablets, and it’s officially licensed as a compatible xCloud and Xbox controller. The built-in battery should last for around 18 hours, and there’s a USB-C port for charging. The controller even ships with a clip to attach to phones, with adjustable positioning.

8BitDo has worked with Microsoft to license this Xbox controller and ensure it’s fully functional with xCloud. There’s even separate software that will allow you to customize button mapping and adjust stick and trigger sensitivity. The controller supports profiles that you can switch between for custom button loadouts.

The $44.99 SN30 Pro for Xbox controller will be available on Amazon for preorder today, with devices shipping on September 21st. 8BitDo’s September launch date is unrelated to Microsoft’s own launch plans for xCloud as part of Xbox Game Pass later this year.

This is a true xbox controller? Is this now the best ”throw in your bag” laptop controller? Would it sync with the wireless adapter?

Birdo

Banned
Far too small to be comfy for more than a few minutes (Using the sticks).

People complained about the sticks on the SN30 so they made the SN30+ with handles.

EDIT: that photo angle makes it look smaller than the regular SN30 :messenger_dizzy:. Turns out it's the same size.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Far too small to be comfy for more than a few minutes (Using the sticks).

People complained about the sticks on the SN30 so they made the SN30+ with handles.
If you add handles to this, you might as well just use a regular Xbox controller and just buy the clip.

crumbs

Smaller than a Xbox controller, but I wouldn't call it tiny. It's a tweaked version of their Sn30 controller, so people should have a fairly good idea of the size.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Symmetric thumbsticks.🤮
Was about to say this lol

Love their controllers, I use them on my Super NT and they feel just like the snes originals. But twin stick in that size looks like it could be uncomfortable to be honest, although it’s pretty convenient for transportation.

Quasicat

It’s cute and all, but I use the clip that Microsoft was pushing for the regular Xbox One controller, when xCloud started its beta, and it’s awesome! I would love a Switch like device for xCloud since I like the bigger form factor. This just looks a little too small for me.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That looks super cute and really cool, but I'm still not sold on Xcloud or cloud gaming in general.

Arkam

A slightly smaller Wii Classic Controller? Interesting. Though I think the real friction (with game streaming) is with the price of the controller and need to go to store or order one online. Size (for most) probably isnt even considered. All that said. I really liked the Wii Classic Controller.

iu

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is a step towards where they need to be for portability. The clip-it-on-an-Xbox-controller looked ridiculous and was a no-go.

I can see myself actually using this, even if it's still a bit unwieldy.

Kuranghi

Symmetric thumbsticks.🤮

Why do you prefer asymmetric? Is it because your thumbs are at the same height (with left on the thumbstick and right on the face buttons) or because they are at different heights when you have thumbs on both sticks? Just curious.

Breakage

Controllers without hand grips make me uncomfortable. It just looks like something is missing.
It's probably because I started gaming with a PS1.

I'd buy it just to have it, not necessarily that i need it.

Good for portability which is the intended purpose i presume, also 18 hour battery life is really nice too.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I find the controllers that clamp on the sides more ergonomic than the ones that hold the phone above. This would include stuff like Ipega 9083S/9055/9087S, Razer Jungle Cat/Kishi, etc.

Rikkori

I like it, but unsure how comfortable it would actually be. Think I'd still just add a clip to my X1 gamepad for my phone instead.

Birdo

Banned
It's kind of huge that 8bitdo now make an officialy licenced controller.

They are such good quality that I'm shocked that it didn't happen sooner. Nintendo should have done it too.

Banned
Why do you prefer asymmetric? Is it because your thumbs are at the same height (with left on the thumbstick and right on the face buttons) or because they are at different heights when you have thumbs on both sticks? Just curious.

both sticks should be on the top of the controller:
1200px-Nintendo-Wii-U-Pro-Controller-Black.jpg

that's by far the most ergonomically sound setup... BUT since people seem to be allergic towards trying something new, we're stuck with the Xbox/Dreamcast setup... where at least 1 of the 2 sticks is placed correctly.
and I take 1 correctly placed stick over 0 :messenger_squinting_tongue:

BTW. having the face buttons and D-pad on the bottom also means your thumb is naturally resting on them like they did while holding an SNES controller
Photo-2016-12-30-12-11-00_0229.jpg

this makes pressing the Left and Bottom face button simultaneously way more comfortable for example since your thumb is naturally slanted at roughly the same angle as the buttons on the controller are.
and on the D-Pad side, by having your thumb rest in the D-Pad at a ~45° angle you can roll your thumb way easier in fighting games, for people who use the roll method (some people move their whole thumb and/or press the directions with the tip of their thumb, but that's a pretty bad way to do things, especially in fighting games since it's way slower)

so I say, fuck the PS layout and fuck the Xbox layout...
ALL HAIL THE WII U LAYOUT!

I tell you, playing CoD Ghosts on the Wii U Pro Controller back in the day, was a fucking revelation! It was like finally using your hands correctly after using them wrong for 2 whole generations!

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

You'll probably be better off using the bigger 8bitdos with the grips. I have the original sf30pro and it isn't exactly the most comfortable when it comes to modern games that use the analog sticks (they are perfect for old school gaming though).

Also, aren't these controllers too small/light once you have a phone mounted to it? I only have the xbox controller phone grip and even that + an xbox one controller with my phone is a setup that feels very top heavy.

that's by far the most ergonomically sound setup... BUT since people seem to be allergic towards trying something new, we're stuck with the Xbox/Dreamcast setup... where at least 1 of the 2 sticks is placed correctly.
and I take 1 correctly placed stick over 0 :messenger_squinting_tongue:

BTW. having the face buttons and D-pad on the bottom also means your thumb is naturally resting on them like they did while holding an SNES controller
Photo-2016-12-30-12-11-00_0229.jpg

this makes pressing the Left and Bottom face button simultaneously way more comfortable for example since your thumb is naturally slanted at roughly the same angle as the buttons on the controller are.
and on the D-Pad side, by having your thumb rest in the D-Pad at a ~45° angle you can roll your thumb way easier in fighting games, for people who use the roll method (some people move their whole thumb and/or press the directions with the tip of their thumb, but that's a pretty bad way to do things, especially in fighting games since it's way slower)

so I say, fuck the PS layout and fuck the Xbox layout...
ALL HAIL THE WII U LAYOUT!

I tell you, playing CoD Ghosts on the Wii U Pro Controller back in the day, was a fucking revelation! It was like finally using your hands correctly after using them wrong for 2 whole generations!

...no. Most 3D games see you using the left analog stick and the face buttons most frequently. That is why Microsoft wisely placed them in the primary thumb positions.

The only time the right analog stick being in the upper position can be useful is with first person shooters which you shouldn’t be trying to play with a god damn controller anyway.

If you don’t have at least three sets of controllers you’re doing it wrong.

Mouse/keyboard for first person shooters, strategy, city builder type games
Xbox One style controller for all other types of 3D games
Wii Classic Pro style controller for 2D games.

Everything else is just not as ergonomic or precise as it should be. You cannot have a controller that plays both 3D and 2D games optimally. It is not possible. The location of the left analog stick and the d-pad will always be at odds with one another and one type of game will always be less comfortable to play.

ZywyPL

Banned

Finally someone other than me who thinks this is the correct way! :) PS analog layout is not comfortable for your thumbs, XB makes it better but only for the left one, dunno why they didn't put the second one in the same spot, especially when their 1st party games strongly rely on using both analog sticks...

Top Bottom