• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

this summer will be 3 years since fable teaser released , how can people hope a game is doing great when you dont show anything for 3 years

You know stuff like this happens with most games through development right?
And thats even if these clickbait reports are true to begin with.
yisus with these people. what have been saying repeatedly?.........

Xbox's Track Record

Development issues happens in any project.
everyone has devevelpment issues, or projects in dev hell and even canceled games. is not uncommon you know.

the issue here is Xbox's Track Record. that is all. i dont know why people have such a hard time accepting this.

and as i said already even in in multiple threads.

you can't blame the skepticism.

but lets end in a good note:

this year Xbox should show gameplay footage of:

Fable
State of Decay 3
Avowed
Everwild
Project Dark
and even release Hellbalde.

if MS do this i will not being skeptical or critical of Xbox in any of those games threads.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
hope GIF

the shawshank redemption film GIF

gothmog

Gold Member
I think that games will be announced even earlier for "staffing" reasons. See CDPR last year, Blizzard that annouced survival game etc. etc.

It's easier to draw eyes of developers to your game when they know what kind of game it is.
I think it's a bullshit excuse. HFR got developed without years of sizzle reels and fanfare, right? There are effective ways to attract talent without needing that. Recruiters exist for good reasons.

Godot25

Banned

Xbox's Track Record

everyone has devevelpment issues, or projects in dev hell and even canceled games. is not uncommon you know.

the issue here is Xbox's Track Record. that is all. i dont know why people have such a hard time accepting this.

Fable
State of Decay 3
Avowed
Everwild
Project Dark

if MS do this i will not being skeptical or critical of Xbox in any of those games threads.
Xbox's Track Record (Open critic averages for releases in last three years)
2021 - 89 (Psychonauts 2), 83 (Age of Empires IV), 92 (Forza Horizon 5), 87 (Halo Infinite)
2022 - 78 (As Dusk Falls), 83 (Grounded), 86 (Pentiment)
2023 - 86 (Age of Empires II: DE), 90 (Hi-Fi Rush)

So what is that "Xbox's track record" that you are talking about?
Because I see 1 game below 80+
2 games between 80-85
4 games between 85-90
2 games 90+

clarky

Gold Member
Fable
State of Decay 3
Avowed
Everwild
Project Dark

You'll not get even half of that. Avowed gameplay and Hellblade releasing maybe.

PD,Fable, Everwild, SOD3 are probably about half way through dev going off when they announced.

Ar¢tos

TBH, I'm ok with this not being released this year. I have been planning to buy a Series S for this but with PSVR2 coming next month wallet wouldn't be able to cope.
Better late and good than early and rushed.

2021 - 89 (Psychonauts 2), 83 (Age of Empires IV), 92 (Forza Horizon 5), 87 (Halo Infinite)

2 games between 80-85
4 games between 85-90
2 games 90+
DM me if you want to continue with this conversation .

Godot25

Banned
I think it's a bullshit excuse. HFR got developed without years of sizzle reels and fanfare, right? There are effective ways to attract talent without needing that. Recruiters exist for good reasons.
HFR is a sequel. Not exactly great comparison to "Blizzard new survival IP" or "reboot of Fable" or new CD PR studio in Boston.

clarky

Gold Member

2 games between 80-85
4 games between 85-90
2 games 90+
Didn't you get the memo? Scores dont matter, until they do.

Godot25

Banned
What is Hi Fi Rush a sequel to?
Oh. I thought are talking about Horizon Forbidden West.
Well. Tango is literally set up as an incubator studio for Japanese market. Also, HFR is smaller game (it costs 30 bucks) so we are talking about wildly different scopes budgets and number of devs.

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t really feel like that long these days. Same thing happened with Bayonetta 3, which turned out great. We also haven’t heard anything about Metroid Prime 4 in ages, for example.

All these games were just announced way too early.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Oh. I thought are talking about Horizon Forbidden West.
Well. Tango is literally set up as an incubator studio for Japanese market. Also, HFR is smaller game (it costs 30 bucks) so we are talking about wildly different scopes budgets and number of devs.
That's just a recent example. My point is the endless hype cycle can and should die. Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have mostly pivoted towards a new cycle of a small announcement followed by years of relative silence until just before release. In a world of all you can eat subscriptions and so many gaming platforms to choose from it's healthier to focus more on what's out rather than games that won't be out for years.

clarky

Gold Member
If you believe that CGI created by a third party animation studio is Fable, then I'm not sure what else to tell you.
Its fable related, which is not misleading in the slightest.

Unless your saying the fable announcement wasnt announcing they are starting work Fable ?

Game gets announced via cgi trailer, news at 11 ,thats never happened before.

Last edited:

Rykan

Not concerned about it just yet.

Fable was announced in the pre-launch period of a new console. This is when console manufacturers typically announce games long before they are ready, even when it's still in the planning stages.

You'll not get even half of that. Avowed gameplay and Hellblade releasing maybe.

PD,Fable, Everwild, SOD3 are probably about half way through dev going off when they announced.
see what i am saying? you are being skeptical as well or don't even have faith at Xbox showing gameplay for games that timing-wise, they would have something to show.

so please, drop the hypocrisy.

clarky

Gold Member
see what i am saying? you are being skeptical as well or don't even have faith at Xbox showing gameplay for games that timing-wise, they would have something to show.

so please, drop the hypocrisy.
What hypocrisy? Your asking for unrealistic things. ive just pointed out that some of the games you want gameplay for are a ways off.

If MS stick with the strategy then youll see games that will be targeting the next 12 months. Most of your list isn't. If they deliver everything this year and its decent, plus say Hellblade in Q4 why is that not enough?

Why do you want to see stuff that likely looks like shit because its a few years away? why are you not crying for a GTA6 trailer? or a factions trailer?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Studio who's made nothing but sequels to the same racing game for over a decade is taking a while to reboot a beloved fantasy RPG franchise. Colour me shocked.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Xbox's Track Record

Fable
State of Decay 3
Avowed
Everwild
Project Dark

How many games has Sony published in 2023 compared to Microsoft?

Vasto

3 years is like the half way point for AAA games but Matt Booty wanted to show it last year.

Last edited:
I don't have much confidence in this game being any good.

Playground is a very talented dev, but a wRPG is well outside of their area of competency. And MGS doesn't have the same culture of internal studio knowledge and tech sharing that publishers like Sony have. So the cross-pollenation of lessons learned and ideas from experienced devs like Obsidian aren't likely to be accessible to Playground Games.

Roxkis_ii

This thread is crazy. What's the line to determine weather someone has a legitimate concern or just attacking the brand?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Games take time. Things don't always go to the plan. Cyberpunk 2077 took like 7 years to make.
It's time for gamers to understand how development works.

NO! It wasn't a game 3 years ago. That's the truth. It has nothing to do with "development".

Neo_game

As other said these days 5-7yrs is normal for such a big project and moreover it is a RPG game. Not sure if they hired some proficient devs for this project some of them also left so I am not sure they can pull this off TBH. But they should show some gameplay this year. T10 have been making racing games for some 15years or so. It is going to be 6years for them before Forza7 was released and they are yet to show a proper gameplay video.

NickFire

They will do when they feel like it's ready.
Gamers these days are hostile to the developers. Look the shit 343i got from their community.
I agree some people are over the top with hostility. But why give a complete pass to the company who allowed false expectations to grow and fester? They announced it to sell stuff (hardware and subs) via hype. No problem with that, but the people who don't really pay attention got the intended impression that the game might be out within a few years of announcement. I think that was unfair even though I also think people should have known better.

If the reveal had been clear that it would be 4-6 years out, it wouldn't be an issue at all (but wouldn't sell stuff). If they had kept it quiet until they had a launch time frame in mind, there would be no issue at all (but wouldn't sell stuff yet). But let's be real. Creating fake hype is their MO in my opinion. How many years of empty promises do we need about "wait for E3", wait for next year, etc.., before a pattern becomes the MO?

Aaron Olive

Games take time. Things don't always go to the plan. Cyberpunk 2077 took like 7 years to make.
It's time for gamers to understand how development works.
Sometimes these projects take time. The Last Guardian was a PlayStation 3 game Revealed in 2007 and which took a development of 9 years finally releasing in 2016 on PS4.
TLG_screenshots_septpreview_09142016_01.jpg

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Seriosuly , in 3 years no news of the game other than typical PR bullshit like " the development is going great " or " the game looks great , playground is doing a great job "

Im a huge rpg fan ( fable is one of my fav series of all time ) and to not have any news on fable and avowed is killing me , Obsidian keeps saying soon for 2 years now

Not a word on the type of game it will be , what mechanics it might use , i understand that making cgi videos costs money but nothing is stoping them from releasing articles where they can talk about the progress of the game , if after 3 years you cant say anything that means that even now you dont have a clear vision of the game you are going to make , that means that you have no faith in all that work you have been doing and that it might be scrapped
I will play it when it's released. I have plenty of game to play.

I don't have much confidence in this game being any good.

Playground is a very talented dev, but a wRPG is well outside of their area of competency. And MGS doesn't have the same culture of internal studio knowledge and tech sharing that publishers like Sony have. So the cross-pollenation of lessons learned and ideas from experienced devs like Obsidian aren't likely to be accessible to Playground Games.

It is more of an action-RPG, unlike titles in the vein of ES, for example...I believe that they can pull it off. Late 2024/early 2025 release, maybe?

Umbasaborne

Banned
This thread is crazy. What's the line to determine weather someone has a legitimate concern or just attacking the brand?
I love sucking off massive corporations that dont give a shit about me. If someone has something negative to say about them, they’ll have to go through me first, seeing as ive built my online identity around them, and ill tell the mods

Last edited:
Top Bottom