• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This PS2-themed black PS5 goes on sale January 8, but you probably won't get one

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gamers have been crying out for a black PS5 ever since Sony first revealed the divisive two-tone design of the PlayStation 5, and it looks like they might finally get their wish.

A black retro-inspired PS5 console and DualSense controller are going on sale on January 8, with shipping scheduled for late spring 2021. The design reflects the look of the iconic PS2, which remains the best-selling PlayStation console to date with 155 million units sold worldwide.

The striking makeover is being handled by the SUP3R5 team, and isn’t officially affiliated with Sony, as you might expect.

Production is also limited to just 304 units, so if you want one, you’ll need a big slice of luck. Why only 304 units? Well, it's apparently a throwback to when the PS2 was originally released: 03/04/00. If you only want the DualSense controller, you might have a better chance as there are 500 units up for grabs.

A quick glance at the website’s product listing notes that the DualSense controller has to be completely disassembled during the conversion process, which means the standard hardware warranty provided by Sony is void. The console, however, will still be covered as only the side plates are being customized.

Of course, this fetching retro style design doesn’t come cheap. You’ll have to pay a premium of $99 for the DualSense controller (usually $69) and $649 for the PS5 console (usually $499). When you compare it to a garish gold PS5 that will set you back over $10,000, it almost seems reasonable.

MHubert

I am still waiting for a PSX themed PS5. Remember seeing a fan mock up after sony revealed the design and instantly fell in love. Will post a pic if I find it again.

Edit: Oh gawd
bfkaiugtmp451.png

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I still think the design is a joke, but it looks a lot better in black. For sure!

ethomaz

Banned
Original white and black are way better looking.

All black loses all the sexy charming of PS5.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I am still waiting for a PSX themed PS5. Remember seeing a fan mock up after sony revealed the design and instantly fell in love. Will post a pic if I find it again.

Edit: Oh gawd
bfkaiugtmp451.png
That looks way better than OP posted but the center should be black imo.

Last edited:

pr0cs

Black is definitely better but the console design is so fugly it doesn't help much.
Here's to hoping the slim/redesign is less hideous

Eternal21

I'm working on converting my PS5 to black version. I've already applied the center carbon colored skin:

Now I'm just waiting for these guys to release the covers:

People that like the white+glossy-black version have no sense of taste. This thing is fugly as fuck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom