• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This might be the best chance Xbox Gamers have to get rid of paid online

There shouldn't be a single Xbox gamer that is content with Microsoft just walking back their price hike, they should be using this momentum and continuing to push Microsoft to drop their online fee like they did for PC players. Every Xbox gamer should be tweeting them, why are you charging me $60 to play online but its free for PC players? There isn't gonna be a better chance than now to do this, they already got people riled up and Microsoft even has another service to switch all the existing Xbox Live memberships to, you couldn't write a better scenario than what we have now.

Paying for online is a SCAM, it doesn't cost them millions and millions of dollars to maintain their servers. If it was how did Sony offer it for free for the entire PS3 generation when they are hemorrhaging money? How does Microsoft offer it for free to PC players if it costs them so much to maintain? Why has it always been free on PC? Cause it doesn't cost jack shit.

For the Xbox fanboys that are gonna come in here using the fact that Sony charges for online to justify Microsoft doing it, the only way this is going away is if Microsoft does it first. The one in the lead is always the least likely to throw away free money for good PR. MS are the ones that need the momentum shift and need to convince people to come over to their side. If you wanna tweet Sony too whatever go for it, but Xbox gamers are the ones that have the best chance to do anything about this.

Edit: Credit to Bernkastel Bernkastel

Last edited:
Yea I expected these type of replies, you can tell people, Microsoft considered this before many times, it doesn't cost them this amount of money to maintain servers, and this has already happened before when PC gamers did it, etc. console players are so used to getting fucked over by this scam at this point they can't even fathom a world where online could be free.

driqe

Yea I expected these type of replies, you can tell people, Microsoft considered this before many times, it doesn't cost them this amount of money to maintain servers, and this has already happened before when PC gamers did it, etc. console players are so used to getting fucked over by this scam at this point they can't even fathom a world where online could be free.
Unless you can somehow rally everyone and their dog to bully Microsoft this is never happening

No one is throwing away billions of free dollars.
There was a pie chart floating around here a few months ago showing the amount they make off online fee is a fraction of what they make from people buying microtransactions in online games and this is with only roughly 1/3 of their userbase paying for online. Can't remember if it was for Sony or Microsoft. Their subscription income goes down but their player engagement in online games and profits from microtransactions shoots up. I'll have to see if I can find that old thread.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be a single Xbox gamer that is content with Microsoft just walking back their price hike, they should be using this momentum and continuing to push Microsoft to drop their online fee like they did for PC players. Every Xbox gamer should be tweeting them, why are you charging me $60 to play online but its free for PC players? There isn't gonna be a better chance than now to do this, they already got people riled up and Microsoft even has another service to switch all the existing Xbox Live memberships to, you couldn't write a better scenario than what we have now.

Paying for online is a SCAM, it doesn't cost them millions and millions of dollars to maintain their servers. If it was how did Sony offer it for free for the entire PS3 generation when they are hemorrhaging money? How does Microsoft offer it for free to PC players if it costs them so much to maintain? Why has it always been free on PC? Cause it doesn't cost jack shit.

For the Xbox fanboys that are gonna come in here using the fact that Sony charges for online to justify Microsoft doing it, the only way this is going away is if Microsoft does it first. The one in the lead is always the least likely to throw away free money for good PR. MS are the ones that need the momentum shift and need to convince people to come over to their side. If you wanna tweet Sony too whatever go for it, but Xbox gamers are the ones that have the best chance to do anything about this.

a3W1qfW.gif

Astorian

There was a pie chart floating around here a few months ago showing the amount they make off online fee is a fraction of what they make from people buying microtransactions in online games and this is with only roughly 1/3 of their userbase paying for online. Can't remember if it was for Sony or Microsoft. Their subscription income goes down but their player engagement in online games and profits from microtransactions shoots up. I'll have to see if I can find that old thread.
No matter how much they make from MTX it still would be throwing away free money, and if the argument is that opening online play means more people will spend money on MTX then I disagree with that, I doubt the people who refused to pay for online are willing to spend money on MTX.

Soodanim

Such passion! Such drive! Such... an unrealistic thing to think it’s ever possible to make this dream a reality now. That dream died the day Sony started charging for online.

What are you going to do, storm the Microsoft equivalent of the capitol building and make them change it at gunfingerpoint?

mejin

FFS they just wanted to charge double the price....

You guys really believe MS is making huge profits with Xbox?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They got rid of paid online for f2p games making them offer the best deal for online console gaming. Coupled with free cloud saves I don't see them dropping paid online unless another platform does it first.
Dude, like you see, you are suppose to push back againts MS, because MS is clearly concerned about their public image. Not sucking their dick.

:messenger_bicep: will of the people vs some asshat at MS

MagnesG

Banned

It's not that big of a deal, that's why people didn't bother much.

Just sell off your Xbox or don't play online?

With them offering a service like GamePasd, there is no way they get rid of this. They need to cover losses and profit somewhere. Same for Sony, they need something to cover losses in case one of their costly AAA games fails to sell or or to help financing games production.
Both companies are subsidizing hardware. They need to profit somewhere else. Otherwise, they will both decide to pull a Konami.

Night.Ninja

Banned
It won't be free they are certain things I would expect to pay for like cloud save storage but I do believe it should be cheaper.

Ceadeus

People like you are why Microsoft and Sony get away with this scam.

If they would remove paid online they also would find another way to get that money back from another source, or another service. Their best bet might be to lower cost compared to the competition. It's my opinion though, reality of the industry is probably much more complicated.

Last edited:
Welp I tried 🤷‍♂️, people fucking brainwashed into accepting this shit.

People saying Microsoft would never do this, like they did with PC players?
People saying Microsoft would never throw away free money, then why did it come up over and over at MS?
Never have I seen a group of people so accepting of getting fucked over.

JimboJones

There would need to be major pressure from competition for this to become reality.
There is just no reason for Sony or MS to drop it. Sony was free the entire PS3 gen and it never forced their hand, what hope is there with Sony AND Nintendo now offering paid subscription services for online play.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, my friend.

Desudzer10

If anything ever happened they'd get rid of paid online services but keep gamepass as one and beef it up somehow(insert where's the beef meme).

But there is no chance of online services ever being free.

Remember when everyone used to laugh at PS2 & PS3 online for being a simple free offering that was nowhere near the quality of XBL, as the paid service from Microsoft ensured it was a higher quality?

Now everyone wants that same high quality service with all the benefits for free, when in reality you're more likely to get a free offering you used to laugh at instead.

Top Bottom