• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the performance you can expect from Steam Deck

MikeM

Don't forget the FidelityFX should work on this. Given how small the screen is, you can afford to go lower down the settings to squeeze out more performance.

Denton

I don't look at it in those terms. I look at it in terms of what gets you the best value for money.
Ok, in that case desktop and laptop gives me precisely zero value for my use case of wanting a convenient handheld I can use anywhere.

Reactions: MrS

Thirty7ven

Banned
We will see, the thing will have extremely limited availability so there will be more than plenty of time to see how it actually fares with games out now, and games coming out in 22.

Fredrik

I don’t even know what to say, this thing is going to be awesome 👌

Biggest issue I can see is having to accept 30fps as some kind of norm. I know many GOTY games has been 30fps, so it’s hardly unplayable, but going back and forth between 100+ fps and 30fps is going to sting.

Astral Dog

Obviously this is not going to sell like those consoles. But the next switch will need to offer something better than this or at least this level of power.
No, it won't.

I WANT it to be powerful, but Nintendo knows how to maximize profits.

It doesn't "need" to be as powerful, but still im sure it will be a big leap over the current Switch, with some neat tricks.

Wasn't the Switch a big jump over the 3DS and Vita after all, with Nvidia on board im sure the next Switch is gonna be good. As long as you don't expect an Xbox Series S handheld that is 🤭

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
1) Learn grammar
2) Proton has very little performance cost, and in some cases games run better on it than on Windows, surprising as it sounds
3) You can install Windows and dualboot or just use those, if you want
Don't be condescending. He probably speaks better English than you do japanese or whatever.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
It looks great and will be amazing for playing indie titles but for AAA I would reserve judgement until it is out there in the hands of users. The biggest risk will probably be the community focus on performance and graphics. You just know that people are going to compare to PS5 and then gripe about the inferior graphics. I seem to remember that this is how it went with Vita at the beginning and it's how things are with Switch just now. Handhelds will always be a significant distance behind console and PC.

Kilau

Gold Member
I'm not convinced the Steam Deck will be any good at Switch emulation. Wii U could work fine but Switch is another story especially not having an nvidia GPU in it.

Mahavastu

My research conclusion is that it will hit PS4 level power on a handheld.

I assume the GPU performance will end up somewhere between the PS4 and the Series S. But instead of 1080p, the standard on PS4 the thing only has to render 720p (or even lower with todays upscaling), maybe also with 30fps, maybe with low settings (you can't see much on that small screen anyway). That will result in a pretty decent overall performance.
I guess the CPU is much faster then PS4 levels, which will make that thing somewhat "future proof". I guess if I would be a gamer playing on a handheld I would be very excited about that device :messenger_grinning:

What I personally have some doubts about is the size (it looks huge on some photos) and especially the battery time. If the battery time is too low it won't make much sense as an handheld.
I still remember when some here thought that Lockhard/Series S will be a handheld, I thought that having that performance on a handheld is impossible because it would suck up the battery too fast. The config of the Steamdeck is very close to the Series S... Lets see, if it suprise me here, I am really really impressed 👍

Last edited:

Fredrik

So the Steam Deck is truly for a niche audience then? Probably like 5-10 million people possibly would want to buy this at the current prices?
Can’t guess on any numbers but it’s definitely mostly for enthusiast core gamers like us, could be bigger if Xbox games run well on it, portable Gamepass machine, but Windows isn’t preinstalled and that’ll hurt sales from that perspective.

Neil Young

I swear, if you really think Nintendo or Sony or their fans are worried about this, you're absolutely delusional.
C'mon, the amount of concern threads and posts are off the charts. In this thread alone we have people telling others how they are allowed to compare the systems. Paraphrasing..."No, no, no, the deck has to be compared to the light version of the Switch. Because, you know, the dock. Therefore it's 200 dollars more and a complete rip off. (Imagines people standing and applauding)". In another thread..."People gave Nintendo shit for the screen on the original Switch but not the Deck, it's not fair!! (Imagines people passing out from such a well thought out argument)".

We all know why Switch/Nintendo fans are concerned. This thing does a whole bunch of shit the Switch can't do at a VERY reasonable price. Oh no, can't have that. So what do we get, endless concern posts. It's not just here. I read posts on another site where people were saying that being able to emulate Nintendo games on this thing is piracy and piracy will eat into Nintendo's profits preventing them from making new games. Pure transparent horseshit from insecure fans.

Fredrik

Since when did mrfunsocks become a sony fan? Pretty sure you got the wrong fans mixed up there buddy.
Concerns seems to come from all directions. It got me thinking though, Playstation fans should be excited now that Sony is releasing more Playstation ports on PC and don’t care if PC gets a day 1 release. Portable Horizon Zero Dawn and Kena! 👍

English is not my first language and this is written on a smartphone that wants to Auto correct it into a Similar sounding german Word. But feel free to continue being a grammer flamer in an international forum.

If you dual Boot Windows u probably have the best Indication for the Performance already, the specs, because your somewhat tech savy.

Your first post is borderline incomprehensible whereas this specific reply is clearly understandable. First language or not, you have just shown that with a bit more effort, you are able to competently write in English so that we can read you without having the urge to pierce our eyes with a screwdriver ;)

Akuji

Your first post is borderline incomprehensible whereas this specific reply is clearly understandable. First language or not, you have just shown that with a bit more effort, you are able to competently write in English so that we can read you without having the urge to pierce our eyes with a screwdriver ;)

well the second post was not on an phone that shows only the last few letters and "auto corrects" stuff left and right.
While i agree that my post turned out quite badly, theres another way to communicate that.

Especially since grammar was less of a problem then the actual spelling.

but whatever, i leave it as it is because otherwise the thread will get even more confusing to read.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it's doing a pretty impressive job for a handheld, but my biggest concern is that, since it isn;t really its own platform with the promise of a generation of support, that it won't be very future proof. It can run current games at an okay level of quality but as cross gen goes away and devs concentrate more on the high end it might get left behind.

Spacefish

Why do you game on PC? Cutting edge performance and M&KB controls...... This does neither when used as a handheld.
Not really, PC gaming is good because its highly customisable, has the best controller/peripheral experience of any console, has the largest library by far and is the cheapest to buy and play games once you have bought the system. All indie games are PC games by default, only a subset of the library is ported to console. It's perfectly reasonable to prefer PC even if you game on a 1080p screen, exclusively use controllers and don't give a shit about anything over 30fps, it's just a better experience all around.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I don't view it as a Switch competitor tbh. It's considerably more expensive than the Switch, and it doesn't play Nintendo games.
I just am going to get it to play all of my older PC games in my Steam library along with a few new AAA games and a bunch of new indies and early access games.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I don't look at it in those terms. I look at it in terms of what gets you the best value for money.
Don't think you are the target audience, then.

I already reserved one - might even get it before the heat death of the universe.

Should fill a nice spot between my main rig and my aging laptop.
And I switched to gaming on Linux years ago anyway, so it's not like I'll miss the few games that won't run on it.

iJudged

Banned
Ur Ranning the games native on Windows. The was they are Designed. Steam Deck User proton as a Layer for their linux base to run These games. Thetr will always be some Performance be left on the table.

I think steamdeck might be a bit fester but not massivly. Have mine on preorder. I think it will be great Hardware.
You ok, bud?

Dr Bass

Obviously this is not going to sell like those consoles. But the next switch will need to offer something better than this or at least this level of power.
I hope the next Switch will, but no, it really doesn't.

People do not buy a system because of perceived value of hardware. They buy because of perceived value of time spent on the software they want.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
tenor.gif
Is that legal?

yurinka

Ur Ranning the games native on Windows. The was they are Designed. Steam Deck User proton as a Layer for their linux base to run These games. Thetr will always be some Performance be left on the table.

I think steamdeck might be a bit fester but not massivly. Have mine on preorder. I think it will be great Hardware.
Or maybe in Linux it performs better because is running less crap in the background. In any case, Steam Deck is open to install Windows there.

We don't know how much the dock will cost. It's most comparable to the Switch Lite, exclusively used for handheld gaming. The Switch Lite is 200 bucks cheaper.
You don't need a dock for Steam Deck. You can connect it directly to a display using a USB-C to HDMI cable, or to charge it via USB-C connected to any standard smarphone charger. You can use a USB hub to connect multiple things, or if desired to buy any 3rd party dock.

Last edited:
Top Bottom