• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the performance you can expect from Steam Deck

Ezquimacore

Banned
Some people are still doubtful about the performance of the steam deck for obvious reason, it's a handheld and we don't have benchmarks or videos demonstrating the performance. People that know about this kind of hardware are excited because they know what they can expect.
But this device is aimed to everyone, not only pc gamers or people that know about this kind of hardware. I have low budget pc that I move around with an AMD 3200g APU from 2019. That's Quad core cpu with only 4 threads and Vega 8 graphics using 16ram DDR4. Compared to the Steam Deck it's outdated in every aspect (CPU, GPU Architecture and Ram) But I wanted to show some videos to show you what cheap AMD apu can do without a dedicated graphics card. So actually imagine the Steam Deck with this performance x3 or x4 times better as a handheld device.

1. It's off screen because this apu only has 4 cores, not the best for multitasking while gaming.
2. these games are running at 720p, 768p and 900p
3. Some of the games are locked at 30fps because I prefer 30 fps than unlocked framerate (35-45fps)
3. Not a benchmark, just to show you that if this can run it, steam deck will run it WAY better

Assassin's Creed odyssey

Control

A Plague Tale

The outer worlds

Bayonetta 2

Breath Of The Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Persona 5

So yeah, this is my best argument of why a cheap handheld PC is exciting as fuck!

Last edited:

Akuji

Ur Ranning the games native on Windows. The was they are Designed. Steam Deck User proton as a Layer for their linux base to run These games. Thetr will always be some Performance be left on the table.

I think steamdeck might be a bit fester but not massivly. Have mine on preorder. I think it will be great Hardware.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Ur Ranning the games native on Windows. The was they are Designed. Steam Deck User proton as a Layer for their linux base to run These games. Thetr will always be some Performance be left on the table.

I think steamdeck might be a bit fester but not massivly. Have mine on preorder. I think it will be great Hardware.
You can install windows, that's the beauty of it.

Denton

1) Learn grammar
2) Proton has very little performance cost, and in some cases games run better on it than on Windows, surprising as it sounds
3) You can install Windows and dualboot or just use those, if you want

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This little device will be a game changer in the industry.

Mark my words.

Certain fans on gaf refuse to listen, though.

ComplexFemaleJunebug-size_restricted.gif

Its going to have great performance and be a great piece of hardware, you can smell the fear in the air with all the concern trolling over the last few days by sony and nintendo fans.

Next gen games will run on it

I think the funnier part has been the PC Master Racers trying to flex on a Nintendo system that came out in 2017.

judging tv land GIF by Teachers on TV Land
Driving Work Out GIF by Planet Fitness

I'll probably end up getting one and it's hella cute to see the console war flames rising again. but this time it's Steam fans 1 v X'ing Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft fans.

don't assume that english is everyones first language.

Half Baked Reaction GIF

Last edited:

LMJ

Its going to have great performance and be a great piece of hardware, you can smell the fear in the air with all the concern trolling over the last few days by sony and nintendo fanBOYSs.

Next gen games will run on it
Fixed that for you ;)

Oh and also, I get the "Nintendo fanboy" part (Switch and all), but why would Sony fanboys give a damn?

They don't play mobile anymore (the Vita looks like it was Sony's last venture in that area)

Akuji

1) Learn grammar
2) Proton has very little performance cost, and in some cases games run better on it than on Windows, surprising as it sounds
3) You can install Windows and dualboot or just use those, if you want
English is not my first language and this is written on a smartphone that wants to Auto correct it into a Similar sounding german Word. But feel free to continue being a grammer flamer in an international forum.

If you dual Boot Windows u probably have the best Indication for the Performance already, the specs, because your somewhat tech savy.

mansoor1980

English is not my first language and this is written on a smartphone that wants to Auto correct it into a Similar sounding german Word. But feel free to continue being a grammer flamer in an international forum.

If you dual Boot Windows u probably have the best Indication for the Performance already, the specs, because your somewhat tech savy.
neogaf international? i like that name , its the only logical evolution for neogaf

Birdo

Banned
Still don't think it will be anything other than a novelty toy for middle-class enthusiasts.

Why do you game on PC? Cutting edge performance and M&KB controls...... This does neither when used as a handheld.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
I think it will run many games well but maybe not so much as newer games are released targeting high end cards and new gen consoles. Control should be a very good test given how uneven the performance was on last gen machines.

spons

Gold Member

Wine is not an emulator and Proton not a layer in the sense that it adds something or is an addition to something that's already in place. It's an implementation of DirectX, just like drivers on Windows are. Nothing is emulated, nothing is added.

If the API is implemented correctly, games run well. Maybe better, maybe worse. When Proton is largely a finished product, the difference will be negligible to the end-user if even noticeable at all.

"Native" only makes sense in terms of emulation or virtualization. All this shit is directly hooked up to Linux system calls and various implementations of OpenGL, DirectX and Vulkan.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Still don't think it will be anything other than a novelty toy for middle-class enthusiasts.

Why do you game on PC? Cutting edge performance and M&KB controls...... This does neither when used as a handheld.
that's a myth, there is more people gaming on budget systems than people playing on high end systems. The most popular gpu on steam is the gtx 1060.

Ezquimacore

Banned
A handheld is not a PC. It have harder restrictions on power and thermals.
not the best comparison. Also the proton layer.

My bet is that it will perform worse that a lot of people think.
again, you can install windows, the architecture of the apu, components and software is a PC. Also look at this. This amd Apus are highly efficient.

Last edited:
It's only $50 more.

You say it doesn't play Nintendo games, but you and I know it very much will, heh.
We don't know how much the dock will cost. It's most comparable to the Switch Lite, exclusively used for handheld gaming. The Switch Lite is 200 bucks cheaper.

And while Switch emulation is a thing, it's a pain in the ass to set up and doesn't work properly half the time. It's not an option for 99% of gamers.

KAL2006

Banned
There are plenty of videos out there for Aya Neo and GPD Win 3 to get an idea of performance. Be sure to only check videos of these devices with standard clocks not overclocked. My research conclusion is that it will hit PS4 level power on a handheld. You can even do 60fps is you out graphics on low. It is basically game by game basis but PS4 level is the best way to describe it. That doesn't mean future game releases won't be working there are plenty of games that a cross gen in the future like Halo Infinite which will most likely run on this. It's next gen only games that will not be good for this device but with the amount of cross gen games and future indie, F2P and AA level games out and coming I think that's decent enough.

I think if anyone really wants next gen only games running in handheld is to wait for the next iteration by then I'm sure we will have a decent AMD solution for DLSS.

Same ol G

It's only $50 more.

You say it doesn't play Nintendo games, but you and I know it very much will, heh.
It's not $50 but $100 without a dock and even $200 compared to the Lite.
It's easy to compare to the most expensive model but if we are going to make that comparison compare it with the $649 model.
And yes it's more powerful but also twice the price.

Last edited:
you can smell the fear in the air with all the concern trolling over the last few days by sony and nintendo fans.
Oh, yes. This thing will totally kill off the Switch and PS5.

I swear, if you really think Nintendo or Sony or their fans are worried about this, you're absolutely delusional.

That said, I think this thing has potential. It will never threaten Switch. That's fine. It can do well enough, by a mostly different enthusiast audience.

Ezquimacore

Banned

I swear, if you really think Nintendo or Sony or their fans are worried about this, you're absolutely delusional.

That said, I think this thing has potential. It will never threaten Switch. That's fine. It can do well enough, by a mostly different enthusiast audience.
Obviously this is not going to sell like those consoles. But the next switch will need to offer something better than this or at least this level of power.

Ezquimacore

Banned
There are plenty of videos out there for Aya Neo and GPD Win 3 to get an idea of performance. Be sure to only check videos of these devices with standard clocks not overclocked. My research conclusion is that it will hit PS4 level power on a handheld. You can even do 60fps is you out graphics on low. It is basically game by game basis but PS4 level is the best way to describe it. That doesn't mean future game releases won't be working there are plenty of games that a cross gen in the future like Halo Infinite which will most likely run on this. It's next gen only games that will not be good for this device but with the amount of cross gen games and future indie, F2P and AA level games out and coming I think that's decent enough.

I think if anyone really wants next gen only games running in handheld is to wait for the next iteration by then I'm sure we will have a decent AMD solution for DLSS.
ps4 level but a better cpu, ram and gpu architecture. Add to that, games running at 720p will look great, that way people can use the power to maintain a solid framerate.

Denton

Hey OP, could you test even more games, like Cyberpunk and Kingdom Come? Just out of curiosty, if you have them.

Nobody sane thinks that - it can't kill anything when Valve is even barely able to satisfy demand - but the concern trolling is very much real.

FingerBang

This will offer portable current gen graphics at lower resolution, I don't understand why people are doubting that. And yes, you'll be able to do some 1080p gaming too at lower settings, or medium at 30 fps.

If you want a portable device for your PC games, it's going to be really good.

Not impressive. Would rather pay 2x the price and get a gaming laptop with a 3060.
I don't get this kind of comments. How do you play with your laptop on a plane or when commuting? How comfortable is playing with your laptop on a couch or on your bed? This is not a laptop. You know, you could pay less than a laptop and build a desktop! Well, not now, but you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom