• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most poor and barebones start of a new-generation

Iced Arcade

PS5 is sold out worldwide.

How in gods green earth is that artificial shortages?

You can't find a console available to pre-order in any country right now.
I don't think it's an artificial controlled launch at all

BUT on God's green earth that's what a controlled launch is. you can't find consoles at launch or near it and it's "sold out". Then they slow release low a number stock and "it's sold out" is constantly in the headlines causing hype.

MHubert

Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

No new next-gen only EA games.

No new next-gen only Activision games.

No new next-gen only Ubisoft games.

And the list goes on and on.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.
This is how it has always been.

Is this your first new console launch, OP?

Last edited:
I don't think it's an artificial controlled launch at all

BUT on God's green earth that's what a controlled launch is. you can't find consoles at launch or near it and it's "sold out". Then they slow release low a number stock and "it's sold out" is constantly in the headlines causing hype.
Do you have proof of this?

MiguelItUp

Yeah, honestly this feels like the most lack luster one in quite some time. But I do kind of feel like this gen felt fairly similar as well. Just a whole lot of meh.

MilkyJoe

Actual launch games - take away the games that you've already played and both launches are pretty pants. But on refection, i would say there's enough to get a new console there

PS5
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Borderlands 3
Bugsnax
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Demon's Souls
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
DIRT 5
Fortnite
Godfall
Just Dance 2021
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
Observer: System Redux
Planet Coaster: Console Edition
Poker Club
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
The Pathless
Watch Dogs Legion

Xbox SX

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
Bright Memory 1.0 (Smart Delivery)
Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
DIRT 5 (Smart Delivery)
Enlisted
Evergate
The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
Fortnite
Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
Maneater (Smart Delivery)
Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
NBA 2K21
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Actual launch games - take away the games that you've already played and both launches are pretty pants. But on refection, i would say there's enough to get a new console there

PS5

Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Godfall

Xbox SX

nothing

if you want to play those games on that list you posted i think you need to buy a next gen console for 3 games so far.

DustQueen

Banned
It is also the most retarded promotion ever for the start of the new generation.
This time, for the first time since PS2 they actually have monumental jump in hardware capabilities and MS have like nothing to show at all and Sony games permanently stuck in PS3 era game design philosophy.

It is the worst way start what is actually, finally is the true next gen hardware.

We are finally not catching up to 2004 Half Life 2 n FEAR but actually can implement new game design ideas and complex simulations, ML n RT A.I n so on...

Last edited:
The problem is that dev costs are way to high, and a shitload of importance is placed on fidelity and resolution and risk aversion, so thats why we get boring ass games with no inovation and risk on the gameplay front these days, somehow i think that nintendo (god help me for saying this as a sega fan) will get the most creative and unique games both from first party and third party this gen. While the remaining two will just focus most on big AAA games that have the same gameplay as every other game the last 10 years

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
See, the only thing I find astonishing is that there are so many people upset about the launch games.

Neither manufacturer is blowing us away, but I have a back catalogue a mile long which in theory is now improved. Those games, remade on next-gen devices, would play barely any differently and, at a basic level, wouldn't look a mile different either.

Mix this in with the fact I've never seen a convincing description of what next gen actually is, and it's obvious what people are really doing is asking for developers to artificially block games from PS4/Xbox One just so it can be claimed as next-gen. For reference of the effect this has, go ahead and look at all the Miles Morales posts before it was confirmed to be cross-gen.

Games just aren't going to get that 2d to 3d leap ever again. Upgrades are iterative. That means almost by definition that the leap isn't so big it can't also be supported on older hardware.

I'm buying both consoles because I have a list a mile long of games to play on them. If there wasn't a single new release for the first 18 months, I still wouldn't run out of new games to play.

Maybe there are people out there who have extremely crap taste in games and can only get excited by half a dozen a year. Maybe they play everything they want to play immediately when it comes out. I just don't see that being the majority.

So you are buying a $499 piece of hardware to play old games a little bit better?

Upgrades are iterative because this generation sucks.

You can buy whatever you want, you are free to consume all the poor products you want if that makes you happy but it doesn't make them better.

Gloomnivore

If you took backwards compatibility away from Series X, it would be a strong contender for the worst major console launch ever. However, it does have backwards compatibility so there’s going to be more than ever to play on your new console. And if you look closely you’ll see a few more frames and pixels and some nicer textures here and there. Nice.

But is any of this exciting to me? Not at all. I’ve yet to secure a preorder for either console and putting very little effort into doing so. PS5 feels more like a proper next gen launch but the majority will end up happily playing COD and Cyberpunk 2077 on it. That’s what I’ll be doing whether it’s on an old or new console.

The most intriguing aspect of next gen to me right now is Sony’s Dualsense controller.

FrankWza

Cross gen games with a focus on next gen, full scale remakes, shorter games like Astro etc. are a necessary compromise

exactly, especially when you throw in next gen tech like RT. Launch games have rarely been able to show off what a system can do. In all fairness, until now that pretty much meant upping the graphics. Now, with SSD implementation, new controller tech, RT and new sound engines, you’re seeing at least 5 full length titles that show off what thePS5 can do.
Wait, Miles morales is only a 4-5h game???
only if Spider-Man took you 10 hours to complete. Because insomniac said half the size.

You guys wanted consoles more like PCs... well you got it... and are now pretending there aren't enough games to play because not enough games are exclusive to next-gen, that's not what being more like a PC is like. Being more like a PC means getting more bang out of new and old games, BC is a huge part of PC gaming, "next-gen" isn't a thing in PC gaming, you decide when to upgrade.

the_master

You guys wanted consoles more like PCs... well you got it... and are now pretending there aren't enough games to play because not enough games are exclusive to next-gen, that's not what being more like a PC is like. Being more like a PC means getting more bang out of new and old games, BC is a huge part of PC gaming, "next-gen" isn't a thing in PC gaming, you decide when to upgrade.
I definitely don't want consoles to be more like pcs, but production costs now are already insane, not sure we can keep going straight up

Dajjall

Banned

PS5
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Astro's Playroom
Borderlands 3
Bugsnax
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Demon's Souls
DIRT 5
Fortnite
Godfall
Just Dance 2021
Maneater
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Marvel's Spider-Man: Remastered
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
NBA 2K21
Planet Coaster: Console Edition
Poker Club
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
The Pathless
Watch Dogs Legion

Xbox SX

Assassins Creed Valhalla (Smart Delivery)
Borderlands 3 (Smart Delivery)
Bright Memory 1.0 (Smart Delivery)
Cuisine Royale (Smart Delivery)
Dead by Daylight (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
DIRT 5 (Smart Delivery)
Enlisted
Evergate
The Falconeer (Smart Delivery)
Fortnite
Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Gears 5 (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Gears Tactics (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Grounded (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
King Oddball (Smart Delivery)
Maneater (Smart Delivery)
Manifold Garden (Smart Delivery)
NBA 2K21
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Planet Coaster (Smart Delivery)
Sea of Thieves (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
Tetris Effect: Connected (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
The Touryst (Xbox Game Pass + Smart Delivery)
War Thunder (Smart Delivery)
Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition
Watch Dogs: Legion (Smart Delivery)
WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Smart Delivery)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Smart Delivery)
Yes, Your Grace (Smart Delivery)

So You are counting on games that You can already play on an Xbox one.

WildBoy

i think PlayStation is looking pretty decent, Dark souls, spiderman, Astro, Sackboy, they all look fantastic games.

R+c probably in first 6 months, destruction all-stars Feb, even rumors of God of war next year.

xbox on the other hand is an utter failure. if i was an xbox fan i would be Pissed at Phil spencer.

As a gaming fan I'm pissed at both. But not having halo is hurting MS. They clearly put all their eggs in that basket... However the Xbox fans play multiplayer games for years and they get support for years. Halo 5 is still fill of players and is arguably one of the best competitive multiplayer shooters out there. Sony's fan move From single player blockbuster to single player blockbuster - playing destiny, GAAS or free to play inbetween. I've been a primarily ps4/pro owner this whole gen and tbh nothing is making me make the leap to ps5 yet... Maybe once I feel their hd rumble and triggers il be interested? Cos for me demon souls is not it - no matter how pretty it is. It's still the game I cursed at when I had the Chinese import on ps3 haha.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I see this is OP's first new console generation.

Lol yeah I'm betting a lot of the people that think those were launch titles weren't around in 2000 when that console launched. The PS2 launch wasn't great either. SSX was it really. Timesplitters was possibly a launch title too I think?
  • Armored Core 2
  • DOA2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track & Field
  • ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • Gungriffon Blaze
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club: Street Racing
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball: Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Surfing H3O
  • Swing Away Golf
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad

SilentUser

Couldn't disagree more. That may be true for Xbox only owners, but far from it for PS fans. Great lineup, doesn't matter how hard people try to diminish the games ("oh it's just a remake", "just DLC" and bla bla bla). There are nice exclusives, plus tons of multiplatform titles incoming at the very beggining of the gen. Also, both platforms will come with robusts OS and nice backward compatibility, the later specially from MS.

Mmnow

So you are buying a $499 piece of hardware to play old games a little bit better?

You can buy whatever you want, you are free to consume all the poor products you want if that makes you happy but it doesn't make them better.
I'm buying two pieces of hardware because over 7 years, that cost is nothing and I'm not so hard up that that purchase is going to put me on the bread line. I'm sorry if $499 is a lot of money to you, but maybe then launch titles aren't your biggest concern?

Define old games. Something that's six months old? Something that's six years old? What if I haven't played them? What do you think would change if The Witcher 3 was out now instead of all those years ago? I'll tell you - the graphics would be nicer and there'd maybe be more on screen. Next-gen!!!

The fact you think either of these consoles are poor says a lot. Your expectations are too high, to the point where you haven't even tried to put into words what they are.

You're gonna have a really tough generation if you don't get used to the fact that these days, next gen is what you get when you have a cutting edge PC. Consoles are playing catch-up, and that's okay.

FrankWza

Couldn't disagree more. That may be true for Xbox only owners, but far from it for PS fans. Great lineup, doesn't matter how hard people try to diminish the games ("oh it's just a remake", "just DLC" and bla bla bla). There are nice exclusives, plus tons of multiplatform titles incoming at the very beggining of the gen. Also, both platforms will come with robusts OS and nice backward compatibility, the later specially from MS.

it’s bitterness. The people who are on the sidelines because they were shut out of a preorder are trying to rationalize not needing one and they’ve found a kindred spirit partner in the x people that have no games coming out for a year. If you have a PS4 or xb1 the new systems are guaranteed to play your current gen library. Trade in and sale prices of those systems won’t be higher thanthey are now. The next gen systems price isn’t gonna drop any time soon and PS5s first year+ is stacked. Waiting makes no sense unless you love all zenimax games besides deathloop and ghostwire. ;)

Aion002

Really? Didn't they sell like 5 million copies or less of the last game? 5 out of 100 millions owners is hardly "most", its 5%.

In this forum? Yes it is. Outside of it? I don't have the slightest idea...

You should read again the original question:

Why are they claiming this is the best launch in history? Demons Souls is the ONLYYYYYYY exclusive?

And my answer was basically: Because many love Demon's Souls.

It's funny, cause many are happy with Spiderman and Demon's Souls, but some... just can't accept that...

135.gif

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
well what GTAV is then or even GTAIV ? :D
Well, no. Those aren't literally the same map as their predecessor games, they're just set in the same city. Just like PS4 Spider Man isn't literally the same map as PS2 Spider Man, it's just set in the same city. If you're looking for an analogy it's kind of like how Crackdown 2 reused the map from Crackdown 1 and just changed some stuff. Except MM is a much better game.

At least sony has more of an excuse, considering they released some interesting triple A games this year.
Whats microsoft's excuse?

And on top of all of that, sony is still giving you more first party stuff.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
I've been asking this same questions to Sony fanboys and the question needs to be asked again after DA was moved to Feb today.

Why are they claiming this is the best launch in history? Demons Souls is the ONLYYYYYYY exclusive? What Microsoft has done is terrible for launch as well, but wtf is with the disparity in hate? They both have terrible launch lineups.
Nah, this whole "both launch line ups are shit" narrative that Xbox fans want to créate its not working, so stop wasting anyone energy and time, yeah, i know you have two ps5 reserved, you are not one of these (aka you are not fooling anyone) and relax my boy, u seen too upset

BlackTron

I don't think the situation is very conducive to dramatically new software technique that would really embrace the new hardware. It will have to catch up later. Don't forget COVID happened. They are trying to make sure the launch happens at all, not trying to give us the next Mario 64 day one.

It's my opinion that if the new games were TOO impressive, it would prematurely take the wind out of the sails of PS4's existing business. Everyone would just wait until more PS5 are available and drop last gen like a brick. They are phasing the systems in/out gradually.

the_master

I don't think the situation is very conducive to dramatically new software technique that would really embrace the new hardware. It will have to catch up later. Don't forget COVID happened. They are trying to make sure the launch happens at all, not trying to give us the next Mario 64 day one.

It's my opinion that if the new games were TOO impressive, it would prematurely take the wind out of the sails of PS4's existing business. Everyone would just wait until more PS5 are available and drop last gen like a brick. They are phasing the systems in/out gradually.
It is almost all the opposite of what you said :)

Covid almost did not affect game developement.
They would love to make the Mario 64 launch title but they failed.
They want retrocompat so new games can also sell in older machines with greater installation base.
They would love the next gen consoles to sell as much as possible

reinking

Gold Member
It's like some of you have never gone through a console launch. This is actually a decent launch for PS5. Xbox has new tricks to compensate. Not the greatest launch but not the worst.

Last edited:

Data Ghost

Its sad when the PS5 game I am most excited to play is a last gen expansion pack with ray traced reflections thrown in to make me go "Oooooooooo!"

Also, on that note, I think raytracing thrown onto every surface possible is going to get tiresome really fast.

BlackTron

It is almost all the opposite of what you said :)

Covid almost did not affect game developement.
They would love to make the Mario 64 launch title but they failed.
They want retrocompat so new games can also sell in older machines with greater installation base.
They would love the next gen consoles to sell as much as possible

I don't believe that game development wasn't affected.

I also know that they want next-gen to sell as much as possible, and that they will sell everything that they produce in the beginning. I'm pretty sure that PS3 sold every unit available at the outset. Doesn't mean they wanted PS2 to die overnight.

John Day

Eh, more games are coming later. I bought my ps4 a few months after launch, never bought a Pro. Had fun with it.

Simple.

Mochilador

I dunno. For a newcomer you have a shit ton of games to play if you count the whole existing library of each platform (they will also run and look better).
I really doubt that most people have played everything this gen had to offer.

OrtizTwelve

Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.

I feel the same way and so do a lot of others. This new generation does feel... barebones and not that exciting.

Maybe it's COVID, I don't know, but this is the first new console generation where I am indifferent, and don't see myself getting onboard for at least another year. What I see from both companies at launch this year is very lackluster.

I am in the group that believes the new generation could have waited until 2021 to launch. Covid has caused the current generation consoles this year to sell at record pace, so there are millions of new customers on current gen hardware with tons of games to play and games will be still launching on current PS4 and XBOX One consoles for the next few years.

I think the Sackboy game could be excellent.

The controls look tightened up significantly from that floaty mess... and no stupid sticker stuff, just a pure platformer. The visuals are cracking.

Last edited:
Those were "Fall and Holiday" exclusives, not day one. But dont wont to be obtuse, and yes, this is not the best lineup, for any console.
Anyways, theres plenty of good games to play..

You’re right, actually I remember Fantavision was one of the launch exclusives for PS2

Entroyp

I can’t remember a generation that was so stacked at launch, but I’m talking about the PS5 only... we all know how poor the XsX launch is compared to how good the xbone was.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Isn't it the opposite? They are enhancing a huge library if games on both consoles that you already own Seems pretty decent start to me.

There are also some pretty good games coming quick too.

I'm ok with it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
  • Armored Core 2
  • DOA2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track & Field
  • ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • Gungriffon Blaze
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club: Street Racing
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball: Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Surfing H3O
  • Swing Away Golf
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad
Yep, most of that is crap.

PooBone

Boo hoo. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time and it launched with even less.

Top Bottom