• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most poor and barebones start of a new-generation

SinDelta

In my eyes it much better than PS4 launch, Demon's Souls might be Remake of PS3 game but its faaaar better game than Killzone ShadowFall and Knack ever was.
Agreed on Demon Souls. It looks absolutely insane.

I'm hoping Vanilaware uses this new gen to make another excellent game.

Along with a remaster or two of their older games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade or GrimGrimiore.

Last edited:
Spiderman MM is a PS4 game, as well as Sackboy. All the rest in bold letters are NOT "launch" titles, as those are not available when the new console releases. They will come, sure, but not "at launch".

Are those games enticing? absolutely, but you'll have to wait several months to get them.

So... "console exclusive launch titles" on the PS5 side is Demon's Soul Remake, while on the XSX side is "The Medium" (iirc).

There: two "console exclusive launch titles" and 3rd parties galore.

Not that I'm complaining, but OP has a point: it's a very weak console launch from the software side. It'll take at least half 2021 for PS5/XSX to start getting interesting.

I've accepted and i'm over the whole cross-gen theatrics now

What matters to me is I'll have Demon's Souls, Spiderman, Sackboy and Godfall as new launch exclusives to play on my PS5. Most impressive lineup since, well, ever.

Last edited:

Ribi

I agree OP both console fans are trying to relive the past. One with remakes the other with current gen games that they didn't play before and somehow think they will now.

If you're solely buying an Xbox Series console it could be poor yes.

But if you're getting a PS5 solely/alongside it it's not a bad launch year.

It's not the best first year but it's a very good one.

• Demon Souls Remake
  • Spider-man Miles Morales
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Sackboy's Big Adventure
  • Returnal
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
  • Kena Bridge of Spirits
  • Godfall
  • God of War: Ragnarok
  • Stray
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Deathloop
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Final Fantasy XVI

Add solid third party titles launching throughout year one like Cyberpunk, Far Cry 6, Hogwarts Legacy, Resident Evil Village and Gotham Knights and you've got a pretty decent first year on next gen consoles.

It may not be the best first year or the biggest generational leap at first, but it certainly isn't the worst imo.

PS4 and XB1 had a pretty shitty year one imo compared to this.
"It's not the best first year" lol
We are truly getting spoiled as gamers
Look at the list you posted
We are getting R&C, Ragnarok, FF16, and Horizon in the same year
MM and Demon's Souls at launch
Potential sleeper hits in new IPs such as Returnal, Little Devil Inside, Kena, Destruction All Stars, etc.
If GT7 gets confirmed for 2021 that's another game added to your list
You also forgot Solar Ash and the inevitable TLOU2 Factions MP
That's not including 3rd party titles
The list alone far outweighs what the PS4 had to offer in its first 2-3 years
People will complain about cross gen but the best (significantly better) experience for those games will be found on the PS5
There is no way I'm experiencing Horizon and MM on the PS4 lol
Let's hope Ragnarok is PS5 exclusive and given SM's comments on how the PS4 limited them I think it will be
PS5 owners will be eating well from launch to the end of 2021

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
We need a return to the glory days

Z94JfBs.png

Wasn’t the PS2 released in 2000, so those games were literally like a year later?

I distinctly remember the PS2 launch lineup being complete crap.

Yoboman

Games take longer than ever to produce and ROI is harder as games get more expensive. Having a AAA exclusive out at launch is just not feasible.

They tried it last gen and Killzone and Dead Rising basically died as successful IPs, Forza had its worst ever entry, Ryse was awful. In fact the only games to find some success were smaller download games like Resogun and Killer Instinct because they were small enough to be complete and polished

Cross gen games with a focus on next gen, full scale remakes, shorter games like Astro etc. are a necessary compromise

NinjaBoiX

I bet most of the folk crying that there are no worthwhile launch games are the same folk who knew this full well when they rushed to pre-order so they can beta test the launch units.

More fool them.

stickinspokesmeme.jpeg

jigglet

Banned
Far from worst. Hell, it's far from bad.

Agreed. As someone that was hyped up to hell for Super Mario 64-2 and got Luigi's Fucking Mansion on GC for launch, I can say I've seen worse. LM wasn't a bad little game in isolation but jesus christ what a fucking trash game for a kid who had been hyped up for 5 years for 64-2 by Miyamoto.

Perrott

Gold Member
thats pretty awful, just saying.

fact is, most launches are awful though
Astro's Playroom its a platformer developed by the team behind the critically acclaimed Astro-Bot: Rescue Mission; Demon's Souls its a remake, yes, but a remake of one of the best and most influential games of all time, as well as the best looking next-gen title shown so far; Sackboy: A Big Adventure has a really talented studio behind it, Sumo Digital, and the potential to be the best game in the LBP series; and Spider-Man: Miles Morales looks great and millions will have a ton of fun playing it this holidays.

Four incredible games by four great teams - Asobi!, Bluepoint, Sumo and Insomniac - but no, launching with Killzone: Shadow Fall and fucking Knack would have been better, sure.

Or Resistance and Genji 2.

Or those PS2 launch games that nobody gives a shit about to even remember their names.

smh

I'm just losing so much interest.

When a remake like Demon's Souls and Halo Infinite, a game that looks like it could be a launch Xbox 360 game, are the only games to capture my attention, it really feels bare boned and bland.

Launch is pretty decent but I would look to the first year of the console. For x360, we had only gears 1 that was amazing, ps3 it wasnt until god of war 3 and metal gear solid 4 that blew me away which was two years after launch. For this past gen, the really good games came out in 2015 a year and a half after launch.
Now by the time nexy year, we would have a next gen final fantasy, god of war, horizon and a halo. I say thats better than previous gens by far.

Months of hype and talking up how huge it'd be if they were doing a Demon's Souls remake, another month or two about how huge it'd be if it's a launch game... now it's "lol the big game is a remake?" gotta love this forum.

Joey.

Z94JfBs.png

Oh god....those were good times. I've got my 2001 rose tinted glasses on right now but god I miss those days.

Anyways, this launch is far from 'bad'...Xbox has GamePass which is amazing so you'll have a big catalogue of games to play from, PS5 has Miles Morales and PS Collection, both have BC, then the three big multiplat games are: AC Valhalla, COD Cold War and definitely Cyberpunk 2077.

Yep this is easily the worst. Nothing interesting unless you like previous gen games with slightly shinier graphics and more pixels.

Edit: Unless you didn't have previous gen consoles, then it's interesting. Especially with gamepass.

Last edited:

Z94JfBs.png

That’s when Japan was at their strongest and on top of the industry. IMHO, I think gaming was definitely in a better place back in the PS2 era. I doubt the industry will ever get back to that at the rate we are going. I’m probably on the minority, but I really miss these days.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, but I agree, OP. There's something that feels off about this start of gen. No real hook to get you to want to make the jump. I see the whole "pre orders are sold out" thing as a possibly artificial shortage of supply to make the next gen look cooler then it actually is.
PS5 is sold out worldwide.

How in gods green earth is that artificial shortages?

You can't find a console available to pre-order in any country right now.

Tmack

What? Previous generations shit got released without people even knowing.... and the games, for a launch plattaform, looks stellar tbh.

And this not even factoring that for almost a year we have been plagued with a very complicated situation that could jeopardy everything.

Rockman33

Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

No new next-gen only EA games.

No new next-gen only Activision games.

No new next-gen only Ubisoft games.

And the list goes on and on.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.
Literally none of those studios you mentioned had launch games that were next gen only either. Not sure why it matters SO much to the community this time. Be patient, they will come...

cryptoadam

Banned
Theres nothing compelling unleas you need 4K and love reflections. Most games are cross gen and if you have a pro or one x your already punching up on resolution.

These machines wont show their worth for a year and in 18 months they will announce pro and slim versions.

Its an underwhelming launch and nothing thats been shown has said this is a leap. To untrained eyes and because trailers cheat with cgi and pc versions all games shown looked like current gen games.

Rickyiez

PS3 and PS4 had lackluster launch as well , stop pretending .

PS3
COD 3
Resistance
NBA2k7
Genji
Marvel UA

PS4
AC : Black Flag
Resogun
Knack
FIFA 14
COD Ghost
Killzone Shadowfall
Warframe
Trine
Battlefield 4

All of them were yawnworthy games that I wouldn't touch , except maybe BF4 . I didn't bought a PS4 until FromSoftware announced Bloodborne , and before the game was out , I only had Destiny which was freakin' boring . It was only until 2-3 years PS4 lifecycle that it has a proper library , so I'm not sure what's the rant about this thread is about .

Last edited:

NikuNashi

N64 we got 2 games and then a little trickle for the next couple months after. This launch gen is pure luxury by comparison.
One of those games happened to be one of the greatest games ever made and the first true leap to fully 3d polygon gameplay. It was an incredible generation leap from the SNES.

nkarafo

I agree OP. This doesn't feel like a next generation launch. There is no big game like the Mario 64 or Soul Calibur/Sonic Adventure type. It mostly feels like another revision of the existing hardware, like the PS4 pro/XBOX one X launch. It's almost like building a new PC, you get to play the same games at higher frame rate, higher resolution and slightly better graphics.

N64 we got 2 games and then a little trickle for the next couple months after. This launch gen is pure luxury by comparison.
Mario 64 alone dumps on every single game that ever launched ever since for any other console. You can't compare, this was a huge jump for video games.

Last edited:
It not that bad actually everyone will be playing Cyberpunk anyways it gone to dominate all till at least the end of 2021 so by than the other big hitters will be available.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

No new next-gen only EA games.

No new next-gen only Activision games.

No new next-gen only Ubisoft games.

And the list goes on and on.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.

Horizon 2 and God of war 2 come out next year man. They will blow us away graphically on ps5. They will be the showcase of graphically leap you want.

Your acting like the launch games are all we are getting the whole generation. Chillout and have some patience.

jaysius

Banned
Wasn’t the PS2 released in 2000, so those games were literally like a year later?

I distinctly remember the PS2 launch lineup being complete crap.

Z94JfBs.png

ACTUAL PS2 Launch Lineup(not launch window, stop moving the fucking bar FFS, OP is talking about LAUNCH DAY)
  • Armored Core 2
  • Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track and Field
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • GunGriffon Blaze
  • Kessen
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club
  • Moto GP
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Swing Away
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE Racer!

Last edited:

Z94JfBs.png
Didn't the ps2 launch with crappy Summoner and thats about it? Those games there weren't there at launch, but 2001.

This was the real ps2 launch lineup, not like your photo, but better than what is coming out now. It feels barren in comparison. Kinda makes me feel better for not being able to pre-order.
I built a new pc instead.

• Armored Core 2(Agetec, Action)
  • DOA2: Hardcore (Tecmo, Fighting)
  • Dynasty Warriors 2 (Koei, Action)
  • ESPN International Track and Field (Konami, Sports)
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding (Konami, Sports)
  • Eternal Ring (Agetec, RPG)
  • Evergrace (Agetec, RPG)
  • FantaVision (SCEI, Puzzle)
  • Gun Griffon Blaze (Working Designs, Action)
  • Kessen (EA, Adventure)
  • Madden NFL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Midnight Club (Rockstar, Racing)
  • Moto GP (Namco, Racing)
  • NHL 2001 (EA, Sports)
  • Orphen (Activision, RPG)
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master (Take-Two Interactive, Simulation)
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2 (Midway, Sports)
  • Ridge Racer V (Namco, Racing)
  • Silent Scope (Konami, Shooter)
  • Smuggler's Run (Rockstar, Racing-Adventure)
  • SSX (EA, Sports)
  • Street Fighter EX3 (Capcom, Fighting)
  • Summoner (THQ, RPG)
  • Swing Away (Paradise Golf in Japan) (EA, Sports)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament (Namco, fighting)
  • TimeSplitters (Eidos, First-Person Shooter)
  • Unreal Tournament (Infogrames, First-Person Shooter)
  • Wild Wild Racing (Interplay, Racing)
  • X-Squad (EA, Action)

Horizon 2 and God of war 2 come out next year man. They will blow us away graphically on ps5. They will be the showcase of graphically leap you want.

Your acting like the launch games are all we are getting the whole generation. Chillout and have some patience.
Wont matter if they don't get their damn manufacturing in order. The fact that myself and so many others couldn't even pre-order do to bloody asshole, scumbag scalpers and botters really pissed me off. Who knows how long supply will be constrained for. Remember the wii .. it was over a year before people could get one without resorting to inside deals and sleeping overnight somewhere.

GenericUser

I think many Demon's Souls fan would disagree OP. I also think the start is pretty decent, we get a more polished version of cyberpunk 2077. Not a true next gen game, I'll give you that. But should still be significantly prettier and pleasent to play (ssd loading speeds) then on the old consoles. PS4 launch was much worse, even the first year of the last gen was pretty dry. I remembering picking up a PS4 with Battlefield 4 and then basically played that non-stop until witcher 3 or so. Just because there were no other games that interested me at the time.

GamingArena

Console gamers have to change their mentality, look at it form PC perspective i couldn't wait to get my RTX 3090 to play my library going back 20yrs new games will come eventually, but i'm more then happy to replay my older games at higher res and much better performance.
There is were Xbox is going of course new games will show up...

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Console gamers have to change their mentality, look at it form PC perspective i couldn't wait to get my RTX 3090 to play my library going back 20yrs new games will come eventually, but i'm more then happy to replay my older games at higher res and much better performance.

This is how I am taking it. Just moving to new hardware, with already a backlog and eventually will play the newer launch games for both platforms but definitely much more involved with demon souls, godfall on ps5 but still have backlog to finish ff7remake, ghosts, Nioh2. Xbox backlog is ridiculous due to Gamepass just a revolving door of games to play so I am excited for both with this mentality. plus I have my 200+ hours in mhw carries over.

Strong disagree. Miles Morales, little big planet, and demon’s souls are so much more exciting than Killzone and knack. I’m not even touching those launch games either until I get through cyberpunk.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
It feels more like the Super PS4 Pro and the Xbox One X+ are launching because thats what is actually happening

These consoles could be totally cancelled and nothing of value would be lost

Aidah

Yeah, I was really blown away by Knack and Killzone last time, and whatever PS3 had. Before that console launches were staggered, so not exactly "launch" as it is today.

Huge From/Souls fan, and Demon's Souls is the only From game I've missed. One of the best launch games ever as far as I'm concerned.

I'm also genuinely interested in a couple more launch exclusives. Interested in checking out the new controller, see if the haptics/triggers make a difference. Interested in checking out the new UI. Interested in seeing how much instant access changes things. Interested in trying out 3D audio. On top of that I'm interested in checking out a couple PS4 exclusives I've ignored via PS+ collection, and in seeing how my top 2 or 3 PS4 exclusives will run like on PS5.

As far as PS5 is concerned, I think it's one of the least barebone launches, despite me completely ignoring it for 3rd party content.

Last edited:

Aidah

ACTUAL PS2 Launch Lineup(not launch window, stop moving the fucking bar FFS, OP is talking about LAUNCH DAY)
  • Armored Core 2
  • Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore
  • Dynasty Warriors 2
  • ESPN International Track and Field
  • ESPN X-Games Snowboarding
  • Eternal Ring
  • Evergrace
  • FantaVision
  • GunGriffon Blaze
  • Kessen
  • Madden NFL 2001
  • Midnight Club
  • Moto GP
  • NHL 2001
  • Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
  • Q-Ball Billiards Master
  • Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
  • Ridge Racer V
  • Silent Scope
  • Smuggler's Run
  • SSX
  • Street Fighter EX3
  • Summoner
  • Swing Away
  • Tekken Tag Tournament
  • TimeSplitters
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Wild Wild Racing
  • X-Squad
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE Racer!
Not to mentions, the PS2 launched in Japan 7 months prior.

GV82

It’s like updating your p.c rather than a new console, is what it feels like for me and I am holding off as I’m undecided between a new console or p.c especially I’d need a new TV too as I have a 1080i TV from over 10 years ago 🤦🏻‍♂️

ReBurn

Gold Member
Agree. Microsoft isn't focusing on launch games as much as they seem to just be evolving hardware to enable delivery of gamepass. Xbox One X seemed to be where they started the strategy. What sucks to me is that Xbox One games don't always just get the benefit of hardware upgrades like PC games do. Console games tend to have fewer options to control graphics and performance features and many require patches (that will never come) to truly benefit from the new hardware. I wish more devs let console gamers choose how to use the power in the box like PC instead of locking games to one or two graphics/performance profiles.

Dargor

I would say the games are actually pretty good (demon's souls, wow!), better than some other gens in my humble opinion, what they actually failed at is in building hype.

Fuck, they could have been so much better at communicating shit, but they were caught up in this bunch of nonsense, not talking nor showing anything for the longest time. Now it is what it is, though I doubt it will matter too much in the end.

Greeno

literally nobody gives a fuck about any of those games. miles morales and demon's souls will prove worthy long-term for the brand.
I'm just saying that the launch lineups of current gen is not THAT worse than the next-gen line up (discussing only next-gen titles like Demons Soul). Basically, you had launch games that demonstrated how powerful the hardware at the time was (which is what launch titles should do). Killzone can be compared to many titles down the PS4 life cycle in terms of visuals.

Top Bottom