• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the most poor and barebones start of a new-generation

.Pennywise

Banned
Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

No new next-gen only EA games.

No new next-gen only Activision games.

No new next-gen only Ubisoft games.

And the list goes on and on.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.

Without being a blind fan of either company, you can tell this is the less exciting new-generation in like.... a very long while?

Yeah, Xbox fans will tell you they've got the most powerful console with GamePass with 200 games and backward compatibility through 3 generations making the console launch with thousand of enhanced games day 1. While PlayStation fans will tell you they've got a remake and an expansion pack.

So, this is the start of next-gen? A remake/remaster of a 2 gen old game, an expansion (also available in PS4), and a bunch of backward compatible games? That's it?

No big new IP AAA from any of the two companies? Heck, not even a AAA new entry on existing franchises either with Halo Infinite delay.

Also, all this talking about the big jump in power and none made a proper game at least to showcase the graphical leap?

AND, NOT ONLY THAT, but also, not a single big multi game from the big gaming companies either.

No new next-gen only EA games.

No new next-gen only Activision games.

No new next-gen only Ubisoft games.

And the list goes on and on.

Be it because COVID. Because companies are afraid to leave last gen playerbase numbers. Because there's almost zero innovation. Because.... etc. Whatever the reason, this is the most poor and barebones new-gen.

Unpopular opinion, but I agree, OP. There's something that feels off about this start of gen. No real hook to get you to want to make the jump. I see the whole "pre orders are sold out" thing as a possibly artificial shortage of supply to make the next gen look cooler then it actually is.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
We need a return to the glory days

Z94JfBs.png

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Short Spider man game I'll prob beat in a day and a half is the biggest draw for me to the next gen consoles. Everything else will be better on my laptop.

Feels like if I really want to get in on next gen I would have to switch back to consoles full time or it wouldn't worth the 1-2 games a year.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There's nothing new releasing that I want to play so I'm going to wait. But a lot of people are happy with the lunch lineups so I hope they have fun.

Zog

Banned
Unpopular opinion, but I agree, OP. There's something that feels off about this start of gen. No real hook to get you to want to make the jump. I see the whole "pre orders are sold out" thing as a possibly artificial shortage of supply to make the next gen look cooler then it actually is.
People are excited to buy new hardware and don't really seem to care that one of the best launch titles is a PS3 game.

MayauMiao

I would not even mind to wait a year or two for next gen console. If it gets worse I may just go for Nintendo Switch.

If Cyberpunk had the next gen upgrades at launch that would probably redeem them by itself.

Still, Demon’s Souls and an upgraded Miles Morales ain’t bad. Games take a long time to develop now. And the first year of PS5 is looking very solid.

sircaw

Banned
i think PlayStation is looking pretty decent, Dark souls, spiderman, Astro, Sackboy, they all look fantastic games.

R+c probably in first 6 months, destruction all-stars Feb, even rumors of God of war next year.

xbox on the other hand is an utter failure. if i was an xbox fan i would be Pissed at Phil spencer.

When was the last actual must own next game launch game not on a Nintendo console. Was the last one OG Halo?

They nearly always start slow and if you are sensible its best to wait a year. More games then and probably the console is cheaper too!

teezzy

Banned
Had EA put a next gen version of NHL 21 on Series X and Halo not been delayed, I would've done my best to preorder a Series x. Those two and The Medium wouldve been a perfect launch for me. Hockey, horror, and Halo.

It's hyperbole, but still, it's not a full-length game, and it's built on an existing game.
The narrative of the OP is true if you are a XSX owner
Otherwise it sounds like a bunch of xbox fanboy talk
Spiderman MM is only a bit shorter than the 1st according to Insomniac
Spiderman MM, Demon's Souls, and other non-exclusives like Cyberpunk is way better than what the PS4 launched with
MM is also on the PS4 but I'm not going to play the vastly inferior version with those shit load times
It helps the PS5's first year release schedule is busy so I will most likely have a handful of games to play every month
My PS4 backlog also helps and I will be enjoy those near instant load times on the PS5
I didn't get a PS4 until 2015 and the PS5's first year alone is better than the PS4's first few years
I preordered the PS5 and I'm happy with all the games I will be playing when it arrives

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
We need a return to the glory days

Z94JfBs.png

I see 2 maybe 3 (depends if they'd bought ND by this point) first-party offerings on this list.

All I see here is sad evidence of how far Konami has fallen over the last 20 years.

Actually its odd how close Sony's announced PS5 line-up is to this: New GT announced, new (and exclusive) FF title announced. Ratchet+Clank isnt too far removed from Jak. They have a "new" DMC, more GTA, strong rumors of a Silent Hill reboot, Kojima seems aligned with them based on their partnership with DS.

I mean, that checks most of the boxes.

Last edited:

Concern

Its a shitty launch. Everything has been "wow look how fast it loads" or "look at my old games with a better framerate" durrr durr durr.

Its trash. All that power in these consoles and nothing to show for it. You know its bad when retards are warring over specs, bc, and load times. The special Olympics have been running this whole year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In all seriousness, this was the inevitable outcome of last-gen's shift to PC architecture.

With everything being backwards compatible, it's hard to draw generational lines. Both systems have games that will only run on next-gen hardware, but the vast majority of what has been developed for the new systems has been (smartly) made with the intention of also selling it on previous-gen hardware. COVID seems to have caused some pretty big pipeline issues, with hardware as well as software development - not too many people are going to get these systems on launch day and that means poor sales for hardware exclusive games - at least for a few months while supply lines catch up.

FrankWza

Since there won’t be a price drop for years, and most of these threads starters and posters are going to get one or both of these consoles anyway, the answer is...you couldn’t get a preorder. Plus PS5 first year is crazy...and it’s still gonna be hard to get. Best launch day/window lineup in 20 years for PS5. Better luck next launch or try eBay ;)

Last edited:
Isn't it pretty much the same map with new missions and sparkly new graphics effects?
if that makes fanboys sleep at night sure
I actually enjoy playing video games because I have games to play
Some people spend more time engaging in fanboy wars than actually playing video games

Last edited:
For some gamers in some platforms maybe. We all know the overwhelming majority of gamers play on a single platform, or preferred platform - which is why this sentiment is common place for some. We should be quite honest about that instead of spreading the pessimism around.

Definitely not for future PS5 owners.

Demon Souls Remake
Spider-man Miles Morales
Destruction All Stars
Sackboy's Big Adventure
Returnal
Horizon Forbidden West
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Godfall
God of War: Ragnarok
Stray
Little Devil Inside
Deathloop
Ghostwire Tokyo
Final Fantasy XVI

All of that in some fashion exclusive to the PS5 platform for Year 1. That's a monster 12 months + change. Like I always say.... if your preferred platform ain't delivering.... you have the choice to switch. Eat it, man up, and simply do it.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Disagree. Also i don't give any credit for recycling old games. I recognize that it's nice for them to be there, but i don't think they count towards a launch lineup. As such, i think you quote should mean "xBox have no flagship launch title and PS5 have a remake and a sequel". I don't really agree with that either but meh~

itsnotme

Are people literally forgetting the beginning of the generation we just had? Maybe it's hyperbole but it's getting out of hand now. The PS4 and XBO was awful Ryse and the worst kill zone to start off the generation (excluding year releases which we *suprise suprise* still have).

PS5:
Demon souls
Sack boy
Spiderman
Godfall
Astros playroom

XSX/S:

3rd party:
Cyberpunk, assassin's creed Valhalla, Watch dogs, COD + all the other yearly releases

How is this "bad" by any means when current gen and PS3 360 were all worse

jshackles

Spider-man Miles Morales
Sackboy's Big Adventure
Horizon Forbidden West
Kena Bridge of Spirits

All of that in some fashion exclusive to the PS5 platform for Year 1. That's monster 12 months + change.
Not to sound pedantic, but part of what the OP is arguing is that the next-gen lineup doesn't have a lot of games that are exclusive to next-gen. A few games from your list (which I've quoted above) are also coming out for PS4 and therefore aren't really exclusive to the new hardware.

Top Bottom