• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is "Ravenholm" - The Cancelled Half-Life Game from Arkane Studios

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A gameplay showcase of Arkane Studios' cancelled Half- Life game which was internally known as "Ravenholm". This footage was recorded on-site by Noclip while producing our documentary on the history of the studio which you can watch here: https://bit.ly/nocliparkane

This footage is being made public as part of Noclip's mission to document and preserve the history of video games.

0:00 - Introduction
5:10 - Chapter One: Breakfast of Champions
9:04 - Danny Context
10:46 - Chapter One: Breakfast of Champions (continued)
17:38 - Danny Context
18:36 - Chapter Two: Electrical Play
26:49 - Danny Context
27:52 - Chapter Three: Swarming
38:33 - Danny Context
40:27 - Chapter Four: Pitch Black
51:00 - Danny Context
51:34 - Unknown Chapter: Office Fight
1:02:16 - Outro / Credits

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
law and order crazy shit GIF

Plantoid

Sadly yes. Seems a lot of the talent in Arkane is gone. Between Redfall and the beyond-forgettable and bland rouge-lite that we got, I don't have any hope for this studio.
I need to update my definition of "beyond-forgettable" because I'm pretty sure that deathloop got a bunch of goty awards, also, you assume that redfall will be bad based on what? A cgi clip?

Last edited:

wipeout364

Is Deathloop bad? I’ve been playing it on and off the last couple of weeks and I am enjoying what I’ve played

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is Deathloop bad? I’ve been playing it on and off the last couple of weeks and I am enjoying what I’ve played

I think it's a good game, the issue is due to how over rated it is in the mainstream press this means there is a feeling of obligation to have the pendulum swing further back the other way to counter this so that it actually lands in the 7/10 game space it deserves, the only way to do that is to be overly negative about it, the worst game ever etc.

Or that's how people seem to take it anyway.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I need to update my definition of "beyond-forgettable" because I'm pretty sure that deathloop got a bunch of goty awards, also, you assume that redfall will be bad based on what? A cgi clip?

As we all know, if a game gets critical praise from gaming "journalists", that means it is a great time right?

Give me a break, warrior.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Doesn't look amazing, not their forte to be restricted to simple shooter mechanics, but it would have been a fun HL2 episode if finished and shipped.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You just posted made up BS about top talent departure from Arkane, then turned around to call someone a ‘warrior’? 😂

Made up? You do realize developers actively *did* leave Arkane. And that there is a current ongoing culture war within the company itself, right? This isn't "made up". This is confirmed. Hell, the brain behind Arkane's best games over the past decade just released his first game from his new studio, Weird West. A fantastic time as well, I highly suggest you give it a try.

But then again, this is *you* we are talking about Ozzy. You have a tendency to pop up to defend anything that is tangentially related to Microsoft.

Hell, the brain behind Arkane's best games over the past decade just released his first game from his new studio, Weird West. A fantastic time as well, I highly suggest you give it a try.

I played Weird West and if you told me it was developed by 6 random college students instead of the former head of Arkane, I'd believe you, no questions asked.

Edit: also he didn't create Dishonored by himself, he did it with Harvey Smith whose still there and about to drop Redfall.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Made up? You do realize developers actively *did* leave Arkane. And that there is a current ongoing culture war within the company itself, right? This isn't "made up". This is confirmed. Hell, the brain behind Arkane's best games over the past decade just released his first game from his new studio, Weird West. A fantastic time as well, I highly suggest you give it a try.

But then again, this is *you* we are talking about Ozzy. You have a tendency to pop up to defend anything that is tangentially related to Microsoft.

Folks leave every time. That’s a given. Your claim that ‘all the top talent left’ requires proof. Something you haven’t been able to provide.

Aside from the studio head who left - as he explained - to get back to small scale development (and whose departure interview talked extensively about how good a place Arkane was Post Bethesda acquisition), only a handful of folks have left.

DukeNukem00

Banned
I think Valve made the right call to cancel this one.

Yup. Half Life is such a briliantly and sublimely designed series; you watch a dev commentary or some deep analysis on the games, and there's so much intent behind every single minutia, behind every single element. So much thought and care behind everything. So much subtlety. There's a reason that there's gaming before and after Half Life. There's just nothing here on the level. Just a regular game. Though i do miss the Source feel and physics

GymWolf

Not bad at all, just inferior to previous arkane games and surely not a 9-10\10 game.

Level design still crap all over 99% of games on the market.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Folks leave every time. That’s a given. Your claim that ‘all the top talent left’ requires proof. Something you haven’t been able to provide.

Aside from the studio head who left - as he explained - to get back to small scale development (and whose departure interview talked extensively about how good a place Arkane was Post Bethesda acquisition), only a handful of folks have left.

Your modus operandi has long been to make up BS and then attack folks who refute it as ‘warriors’. Completely unsurprised that’s the tack you’ve taken here.
You don’t understand, the guy that left WAS Arkane

ShadowNate

This was very unimpressive overall. Needed more fresh locations, ideas (the electricity gun is ok, but this was done in Bioshock already, so nothing innovative there). Also better graphics, moodier lighting, etc. It doesn't look as something significant was lost by cancelling it.

Mahnmut

This was very unimpressive overall. Needed more fresh locations, ideas (the electricity gun is ok, but this was done in Bioshock already, so nothing innovative there). Also better graphics, moodier lighting, etc. It doesn't look as something significant was lost by cancelling it.
Don’t forget it’s in a ‘work in progress’ state and way before Bioshock

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Oh Ozzy, your continued need to push strawman arguments, project your own failings onto others, and constant need to defend the honor of a plastic box would be admirable if it wasn't so... sad.

Nowhere did I state that "All the top talent left". You do realize people can actively read the thread and see exactly what I posted, right? Here, I will even link it for you. Seek help. Just because I dislike the direction Arkane has gone and believe the brains have left doesn't' mean you can't still enjoy their content and think that Redfall will be a massive success. Put down your little console warrior pitchfork and actually play games, instead of tying your entire personality around one company that doesn't even know you exist.

Last edited:
We don't go to Ravenholm anymore.

We do get to play as Alyx in the Half Life Alyx VR.
I'm currently stuck in a room with Jeff, And not the Dorito Pope.

Top Bottom