• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Director's Cut" thing is the dumbest shit.

Really not sure whether ray tracing would be a good fit for Bloodborne. One of the issues that you can have adding ray tracing to a game that has artist driven lights is that it can really transform how a game feels so although I've seen games that have had ray tracing added which are technically better doesn't necessity mean that they're artistically equal.

Concern

Gears 5 had a directors/GOTY version at launch which was paid and no cheaper upgrade path

Except if you owned the game you'd only need to buy the dlc. No "upgrade" fee. And if you have gamepass its added to your game at no extra cost. But nice try.

Best part of all this is the same people shilling for this are the same ones bashing EA or anyone else who does the same thing lol. Its entertaining how much the goalposts are moved when it comes to Sony.

Friday Movie GIF

When I heard Directors Cut for Death Stranding I thought " Oh good, they deleted most of chapter 3 and those 3 hours of wasting my time between two lovers". For movies a directors cut is usually including new scenes, cutting out any unnecessary bullshit.

I don't mind the concept of Director's Cut / GOTY etc in general. What I do think is bullshi*t is like GoT where they delist the non-directors cut then jack up the price of the Directors cut as the only version available digitally.

Kojima dislikes the term, he has nothing against the re-release.

He doesn't like the term in particular for his game because it's not applied correctly. For Death Stranding he thinks it would be more appropriate to call this edition something like Extended Edition. Which is what it is. I think it's pretty much the same case for Ghost of Tsushima, but I don't know for sure.
I mean just like Yoko say that Nier replicant is a version upgrade.

Tschumi

The Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is incredible... so like, as a judge would say: "I'm going to allow it."

yurinka

It's only a marketing name for a reedition of a game adding its DLC, like 'Ultimate edition', 'Definitive Edition', 'GOTY Edition' etc. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a name.

Last edited:

Forsythia

What's worse is the "Gold Edition" or simply "Gold". It sounds ugly, the boxart is ugly and it just sounds like I've bought a cheap Polish budget game. Which is exacty why Sony chooses to use "Director's Cut" now, it sounds premium, even though it's essentially the same thing.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's especially funny in regards to Death Stranding, where everyone knows so damn well Kojima is behind it, I mean, the whole marketing campaign was about him instead of the actual game, and now they're releasing a "director's cut", implying that Kojima wasn't the game's director after all... DC, just as GOTY is IMO such a bad marketing name, for me personally Ultimate/Definitive Edition makes the most sense, it means the package contains the game and every add-on that's ever been released.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Did we had a problem with "GOTY editions" of games ?
Then why do we have a problem with Directors Cut edition of the game. They are basically the same thing with bunching all dlcs and selling as the FINAL version of the game.

The main problem, as stated by Kojima, is that those are not Director's cuts. They are ultimate edition or even GOTY edition with new original content, DLC. I actually think this name could reduced the sales, I mean, who would want to buy the same game with a few new graphical or Dualsense features for $70/€80?

There is actually new meaty content there (in the case of ghost of Tshushima) and they should market it.

Last edited:

fermcr

From a business stand point "Director's Cut" is a excellent idea. it sells more copies of the game.
If you want to blame somebody, blame the dumb gamers that purchase the same game over and over again (standard version, special edition, director's cut, anniversary edition, etc...etc...etc).

It's especially funny in regards to Death Stranding, where everyone knows so damn well Kojima is behind it, I mean, the whole marketing campaign was about him instead of the actual game, and now they're releasing a "director's cut", implying that Kojima wasn't the game's director after all... DC, just as GOTY is IMO such a bad marketing name, for me personally Ultimate/Definitive Edition makes the most sense, it means the package contains the game and every add-on that's ever been released.
I would prefer the car naming "Last Edition" or "Final Edition" for games with no more content or patches to come. Simple and clear.

Last edited:

SpokkX

The 60 FPS upgrade for Tsushima is free. Nice try though
That and god of war are the ONLY examples of a free 60fp upgrade

Uncharted 4, Uncharted lost legacy, Horizon ZD, Spiderman, Death Stranding? No? Some cost $, some are not even available

is there a reason you dont want to expose sony for this practice? Anything that connects you personally to Sony so you WANT to pay?

MHubert

Dumb as it may seem I think we have to agree to either shell out for some kind of directors' cut, GOTY edition or whatever edition, - or not getting post release content at all. Which is totally fair, honestly.

Last edited:

MHubert

That and god of war are the ONLY examples of a free 60fp upgrade

Uncharted 4, Uncharted lost legacy, Horizon ZD, Spiderman, Death Stranding? No? Some cost $, some are not even available

is there a reason you dont want to expose sony for this practice? Anything that connects you personally to Sony so you WANT to pay?
Don't you think it's more about accepting that you have to pay for stuff?

Ryugarr

Neo Member
Except if you owned the game you'd only need to buy the dlc. No "upgrade" fee. And if you have gamepass its added to your game at no extra cost. But nice try.

Best part of all this is the same people shilling for this are the same ones bashing EA or anyone else who does the same thing lol. Its entertaining how much the goalposts are moved when it comes to Sony.

Friday Movie GIF
Gamepass is also a subscription service you have to pay for monthly just to have it added to your game "at no extra cost" but okay lol.

Ryugarr

Neo Member
The main problem, as stated by Kojima, is that those are not Director's cuts. They are ultimate edition or even GOTY edition with new original content, DLC. I actually think this name could reduced the sales, I mean, who would want to buy the same game with a few new graphical or Dualsense features for $70/€80?

There is actually new meaty content there (in the case of ghost of Tshushima) and they should market it.
I have never played GOT before. I had a PS4 pro but just never got around to it. I have a PS5 now and I bought the Directors Cut last night. The Directors Cut trailer sold me on the game easily. As someone new to GOT it was pretty clear what I was getting.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I kinda understand for big games, because the publisher want to release fast and stuff. But for a game like Death Stranding, which was focused on the fucking director, doesn't make any sense this cut

Concern

Gamepass is also a subscription service you have to pay for monthly just to have it added to your game "at no extra cost" but okay lol.

Yea no extra cost. Im not paying extra that month for it am I? Lol that wasn't the "i got you" you thought it was.

Continue defending Sony tho 🤣😉

RafterXL

I don't care what they call it, but this practice of making people re-buy ENTIRE games to get the additional stuff is straight up bullshit and Sony has been the worst offender this past year by far.

Just to be clear: if this was called "Death Stranding: Game of the Year Edition" we wouldn't be even talking about this, right?
Of course we would because it would be cheaper, or you could buy the additional DLC seperately instead of having to re-buy the entire game again.

Miles708

I don't care what they call it, but this practice of making people re-buy ENTIRE games to get the additional stuff is straight up bullshit and Sony has been the worst offender this past year by far.

Of course we would because it would be cheaper, or you could buy the additional DLC seperately instead of having to re-buy the entire game again.

Personally i don't agree.
I like the re-editions very, VERY much.

You have all patches included, you get all the content in one place, you don't need to download anything (so it's assured to be yours forever and not tied to an online account you have no control over), and you pay less for it if you can wait a couple of months.

Sure, you can also buy games at launch full-price, but that's your choice.
If you're not happy with your choice because there are better alternatives, that means you need to re-think your spending habits instead of attacking a good thing.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I think the idea is a trimmed down, more consumer friendly version is released, think of it like the publishers cut, which is different and typically shorter than what the director wanted.

The idea being that the director is usually mr artsy farts and includes a bunch of stuff for the integrity of the project, while the publishers and corporate big wigs like to trim that up to make it more accessible for a broader, less artsy fartsy audience.

I think all of that is lost now days tho. They just know releasigg by something and calligg by but a “directors cut” will bring people back to buy it agin or draw in those who didn’t buy it the first time around.

In the end, the publishers are just rigging the game and finding g a way to make more money. The directors cut is planned and isn’t exactly a directors cut, as they used to be

Sorcerer

Why doesn't Kojima just keep naming his "directors cut's" after Joy Divison/New Order albums like he did the with the respective Substance comps?
I know I saw a picture of Kojima sitting at his pc with the Joy Division Heart and Soul box set in a pic, so I don't think its a coincidence. So cool that he is a fan.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Director's Cut is just another way of saying "Goty", or "ultimate edition", or "definite version" or whatever.

If that meas having all content in one place (the disc) without having to download anything, like the latest Ghost of Tsushima version, then please, keep 'em coming!
Exactly. It's a way for a successful game to give even more content to those that enjoyed and/or loved the game. That's really it.

If you're not a fan of it, just don't partake. If you are a fan, then you're probably excited that there's a new version with some new stuff added!

If I love a game enough, I'm all for this. I want to support devs as much as possible if their project is incredible.

imissweed

Banned
Don't you think it's more about accepting that you have to pay for stuff?
I think it's about supporting the customers who already bought the effing game to being with. The millions of customers who have already supported this product by paying 60 dollars and continuing to release patches. The DLC is fine if they want to release it as a stand alone product but...and this is coming from a big PS fan who has now bought GOT twice at full price....the upgrade is very unsatisfying and I will think thrice about any more directors cut purchases.

imissweed

Banned
Cards on the table sucker punch. 15 hours tops of padded DLC. No new weapons, a charge for your horse....wow and horse armor. I like it but its very little meat on the bones. It was a good DLC.

Graphics upgrade...bah. little bump to resolution omg you guys really put in the long nights to achieve that one ha!

3d audio....buzzword marketing. Dualsense should have been automatically included with resolution bump for all GOT players. We already supported you greedy bastards. I have now spent $120 supporting you and after completing the DLC I have very little interest in playing. Oh the small bump in resolution looks good but really 10 dollars??? Just make a go fund me and save some class you poor souls.

MHubert

I think it's about supporting the customers who already bought the effing game to being with. The millions of customers who have already supported this product by paying 60 dollars and continuing to release patches. The DLC is fine if they want to release it as a stand alone product but...and this is coming from a big PS fan who has now bought GOT twice at full price....the upgrade is very unsatisfying and I will think thrice about any more directors cut purchases.
Ok, I guess the overall package being such a meagre upgrade is a fair point.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
‘Director’s Cut’ generally translates to: ‘give us more money for the same thing‘.

Very few of them are worthy. Maybe Blade Runner.
Blade Runner is so overrated, you give me 5 hours more of Blade Runner 2049 though and I'm all in.

Apparently there could have been 4-5 hours of that new Dune movie that's coming soon, but it's 2 hours and x minutes.

Top Bottom