• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Dark Souls ain't that hard really" and "Kena's bosses are easier than you think" crap really needs to end

tommib

Cry me a river that you had to try 20 times to kill a BOSS in a video game.
Isn't the whole point of bosses to be skill checkpoints on video games?

OP arguing the definition of video game tourists.
Yeah, basically this. Bosses are supposed to give you a hard time and be an obstacle. I spent weeks on Sekiro’s last boss and it was so rewarding to beat that fucker.

I have a job so I would come home and spend like 1 hour on him everyday learning the patterns. I get shocked when people say oh it took me like 5 tries. I’m like what? I do have a friend who never made it so I guess I’m not that bad.

There's a difference between something being impossibly hard and something that requires patience and persistence.

A game like Ninja Gaiden 2 on the hardest difficulty is almost impossible to get through because of the insane amount of shit the game throws at you at once (off-screen explosive shuriken throwing ninja's, I'm looking at you).

A game like Dark Souls simply requires you to learn how the game and the bosses work. After that it's not that difficult to get through, as long as you have some patience and learn from your mistakes.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I think the thing about Souls games in general (and also where this comes from) is that the bosses tend to be really hard when you first try them but then usually and MUCH easier later on when you know how to tackle. So people who have finished the game usually have no more problems with em whereas newcomes struggle. So I get both sides.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I spent weeks on Sekiro’s last boss and it was so rewarding to beat that fucker.

I'm sorry? Last boss in Sekiro? There is no last boss in Sekiro. You just have a nice little wander around a field for a little while, and then the game ends.

Yeah. I'm sure that's what happens - and that I haven't completely repressed the traumatic memory of countless attempts at a bitch hard four stage final boss, over the course of an extremely hot week in Sydney, where my brains and my soul boiled into nothing.

Last edited:

Akuji

Havent Played kena yet. Happy to hear its not so easy.

Dark souls has a certain difficulty but getting into the game is the hardest Part.ik bloodborne once you beat Pater gascoine or what his Name is, you have the roadblock already behind you. There are some tougher fights ahead but you will be off pretty well most likely

GymWolf

The only bullshit boss in kena is the final one, some of the others have a decent challenge compared to stuff like zelda or assassins creed on hard but they are not gael or kos, not even remotely.

What a strange topic...

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls is indeed not that bad... at least feels fair compared to what I've seen from Kena later bosses.
For Souls You mainly need to be patient. At least for 1 and 2. 3rd one is imo quite harder
Could have ended the thread right there tbh.

Souls 1 was deliberate. You play all the games that game after like Nioh etc, and that's where they ramp up the difficulty - sometimes arbitrarily. Even DS3 was flawed in that manner, because it took that style of enemy attacks and AI from Bloodborne but didn't give you the ability to reclaim lost health.

But Souls 1? Don't get greedy and you're going to be fine. It's very well balanced for the most part.

Soosa

Banned
What is this absolute horseshit?

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.

But dark souls arent difficult games if you dont make em like that, that is the truth.

Sure, mario 1 is difficult if you dont want to learn the rules and just walk into every pit and fall to your death.

Same with dark souls games, if you play them like madman they can be difficult, but if you spent the 10-30 minutes to learn the basics and play by the rules, they arent difficult.

Souls games can be super easy, or super difficult, like completing them with some random donkey kong drums.

But IMO the difficulty of a game is the lowest one available.

And on souls games it is playing as mage. I have played souls 1-3 + demons souls as mage only, so I cant say much about how they are with melee characters. But as a mage, first 10-20 soul levels are bit difficult, after that it gets easier and around level 40-50 as pure mage (add points to magic + attunement, nothing on else) you are basically a half god. yeah you die from 1-3 hits, but so do your enemies. even most bosses die from few spells.

I can honestly say that I have killed majority of bosses with first attempt, or it have taken maybe 2-5 attempts, and even those are mostly because I was impatient and didnt observe it enough.

And I didnt even google shit up, I just have this fetish to do the purest glass cannon mages on almost every game it is possible

And I can honestly say, that bloodborne is damn difficult to me, but it is also probably quite easy with right setup.

Guilty_AI

Gatekeepers-1.jpg
7ee.png

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I swear people who moan about Soulsborne difficulty are just impatient dweebs. There is not a boss or enemy in a Soulsborne game that cannot be defeated if you just take the time and effort to learn how they function.

The algebraic arithmetic for beating Souls games is literally:

If enemy does X, I do Y.

Very simple. But requires patience, concentration and resilience. Only a very few cases across entire series where things can get a little unfair… which is when you summon.

I often think that the shit Souls games get from some gamers is indicative of an entitled, lazy mindset towards gaming.

Bragr

Banned
I swear people who moan about Soulsborne difficulty are just impatient dweebs. There is not a boss or enemy in a Soulsborne game that cannot be defeated if you just take the time and effort to learn how they function.

The algebraic arithmetic for beating Souls games is literally:

If enemy does X, I do Y.

Very simple. But requires patience, concentration and resilience. Only a very few cases across entire series where things can get a little unfair… which is when you summon.

I often think that the shit Souls games get from some gamers is indicative of an entitled, lazy mindset towards gaming.
I don't understand how so many miss the point about this thread. This is not about complaining about hard bosses, it's about complaining about people who feel the need to go after people who find a boss hard.

Which is EXACTLY the sort of thing you do here, starting to complain about how people who "moan about Souslborne" are "lazy". You can complete Sekiro 3 times, but if you mention how a boss was hard, you are just a lazy weak cunt apparently.

It's simple to run a marathon too, but it's still hard.

Bragr

Banned
Why does it bother you that people don't find X or Y hard and voice their opinions? Why feel bad about someone being good at something you're not? People have different skills, it's not a big deal and it shouldn't hurt your feelings.
Imagine 2 guys who just lifted 400 pounds on the bench, and one guy goes "damn, that was heavy" and then the other guy goes "lol you fucking bitch that was easy, it's just lifting the bar you dumb fuck it's a simple process lol, learn to lift properly bitch lol".

That's what I mean, it's just this petty fucking attitude that Soulsborne players have, they think they are the shit. Just look at this thread, they are in full force in here.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What is this absolute horseshit?

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.
Time to git gud scrub

Belthazar

Imagine 2 guys who just lifted 400 pounds on the bench, and one guy goes "damn, that was heavy" and then the other guy goes "lol you fucking bitch that was easy, it's just lifting the bar you dumb fuck it's a simple process lol, learn to lift properly bitch lol".

That's what I mean, it's just this petty fucking attitude that Soulsborne players have, they think they are the shit. Just look at this thread, they are in full force in here.

No one should be called a bitch or a dumb fuck and that's not what necessarily happens when someone says a game (or anything for that matter) that is considered hard for some is easy for them. In your example, it would be perfectly fine if one of the two people is used to lifting that kind of weights and says "it's easy for me, you should train if you want it to be easy for you too".

Ellery

I see it as a good thing. What Miyazaki has created was the well needed wake up call for the entire industry to move away from being player pleasers in every single game making them as easy as possible to have a massive reach and since many gamers loved it the series became the defining influence for combat driven third person games. Pretty sure Miyazaki sees those games as satisfying and sense of rewarding accomplishment and not as difficult or hard. We were moving in a direction where button smashing was enough to apathetically walk around gaming environments killing time instead of enemies.

For the most part people that love those games ... well I don't see them being dickheads, but they do get quite annoyed when people ask to mutilate those games with easy options instead of them playing one of the other plethora of games available to play.

And one more thing. Don't let what others enjoy ruin gaming for you. Somebody else flexing shouldn't intimidate you.

Loope

Why does this bother you so much?
Well it's sort of agravating, when people boast about shit they can't prove. It's like kids in playground when they manage to overcome something and then can't stop themselves from telling everyone in the neighbourhood, except in this case we're talking about adults.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I don't understand how so many miss the point about this thread. This is not about complaining about hard bosses, it's about complaining about people who feel the need to go after people who find a boss hard.

Which is EXACTLY the sort of thing you do here, starting to complain about how people who "moan about Souslborne" are "lazy". You can complete Sekiro 3 times, but if you mention how a boss was hard, you are just a lazy weak cunt apparently.

It's simple to run a marathon too, but it's still hard.

No one ever drags anyone if they say they find a Souls boss hard. We just drag them when they moan about Souls being too hard. An important distinction.

I find plenty of Soulsborne bosses hard (see my above post about Sekiro) but I don’t moan about them. I don’t moan about the game. I accept it for what it is.

Quit whining, is all I say. Plenty of other games out there.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Gamers are like fishermen with the embellishments they tell.

If you listen to many literally, it's astonishing why most are not fighter pilots with the otherworldly reflexes they possess or in their local chapter of Mensa, showing off their logic and rhetoric skills. If you just use a pinch of salt in your food, it won't be as salty.

Your reading comprehension rivals your taste, sugar.
I read it just fine granddad. Go back to spamming gifs like your fellow kids.

S
Sounds like someone got Capra'd
I only played demons souls on ps3. Was shit, then played dark souls 3 much later, nothing changed.

Souls fans are truly the worst. Kinda like the games themselves. You all think it’s the hardest game in the world and anyone who dislikes it wants to like it, but sucks. There are harder games than souls in multiple genres.

The fans reactions have put me off the games as much as the games themselves.

No, it’s slow paced with the added element of character builds and immediately put me off. I got my ass kicked in Ninja gaiden initially too, but the difference is it was fast paced and actually fun.

J-Rod

I feel like it is a bit true for souls. Once you learn the invincibility timing from rolling it makes the whole game a lot easier. Also, you can over level and summon as another option.

Fake

Bragr Bragr
IMO reviewers are part of problem because when Dark Souls launch, they just called 'a difficult game'. They think everyfuckingtime a game beat them they came at the stupid conclusion of 'ow is a souls game'. Thats 'WHY' people mock them saying 'is easy'.

Now everytime a game is difficult those reviewers just call them 'Souls'. The term 'Souls' have nothing to do with difficult. There is a heavily art direction in those games and seeing USA/West making those stupid clones and be easily to be called Souls just show how people/reviewers get affected by 'Souls' franchise.

My suggestion to you is:
Stop raging, stop listening to people that call 'Souls', 'Metroidvania', etc... there is no 'high council' in game departament, reviewers and dumbs to think they can classify a game just because they're 'game journalist'.
Play the game, feel the game, grow da fuck up and make your own judgment. There is more about gaming than listening reviewers/streamers/metacritic, you're just forgetting..

Last edited:

GermanZepp

People find dificult diferent things. In fromsoftware games there are so many variables that every person will struggle on diferent situations.

I have seen dudes that have no trouble with boss fights and calling it easy because they reach the bosses overpowered with 20 lvls more after farming the shit out enemies and summoning bros to help them in the fight. 🤷‍♂️

I get the platinum in Sekiro and the first 3 to 4 hours of the game were the more punishing i ever experinced in gaming, beating Lady butterfly took me 1 hour and a half, ( it was my first boss) and Genichiro the first time took me 3 hours to beat. ( in my NG+ i beat it in my second try)

My conclusion on Sekiro is that it was hard for two reasons. 1- You begin with very low health. 2- You begin with little healing items. Forcing you to basically play making no mistakes. You could be beating the shit out of a boss but one mistake and your done.

Bloodborne is easy. Put the hours in and stop whinging. Everybody starts at 0. What are you, a games reviewer?
Bloodborne is not easy by any stretch of the imagination dude. "Put the hours in and stop whinging" sounds to me like your suggesting practice, trial and error and consistently learning and growing as a player.

Why would you do all of that if it was "easy" ?

Being president is easy. Put the hours in and stop whinging. Everybody starts at 0.

Getting a world record is easy. Put the hours in and stop whinging. Everybody starts at 0.

Getting Over It is easy. Put the hours in and stop whinging. Everybody starts at 0.

Absolute lolz

Graciaus

If you take the time to learn how to play dark souls it really isn't that hard. If not you are going to be very frustrated.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
The issue with the way the OP thinks is that Death is a failure in Dark Souls. That constantly winning with ease and never failing is the only path in a videogame, that making mistakes and as a result dying is the end, and it is the games fault for being too hard, and the community's fault for being "toxic" and telling him to "git gud".

Its funny because in video games of old dying all the time was just par of the course, now with regenerating health or sheilds and infinite continues the challenge of games has been reduced dramatically and this is now the norm. Death with consequence is a very rare thing in a modern title, so if you can't switch your mentality over to perhaps thinking that each Death is new opatunity to "git gud" then really voicing it on the Internet like you review videogames for a living is going to result in you being mocked.

After all you have so many titles that hand hold you through the experience it would seem unfair to not be able to mock people for not getting past the hard bits yet.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I enjoy learning the patterns of the bosses that kill me, there only a few noses on dark souls, bloodborne, demon souls and sekiro that you will die from as most are quite easy once you know which button is attack.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I appreciate this thread, but like...Dark Souls ain't that hard, really. But Kena? Some of those bosses are really difficult.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ive said for years that they aren't really all that hard, but they are incredibly punishing which I think is worse for a lot of people.

spawn

Souls games are really not that hard actually if you use a guide or read on how to git gud. Most bosses I can beat in 1 or 2 tries. You just have to know how to build your character correctly with the right weapons. Learn how to parry and dodge and you're good. Check out fightincowboy on youtube for a good guide

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Why does this bother you so much?
Very much this, OP. I wouldn't let that stuff bother you, or at least try not to.

I mean, much like all things, it's completely opinionated and subjective. Some people find somethings less difficult than others. Some may be BSing, sure, but some may honestly be feeling that way. I don't think they should be dismissed because of that.

It's okay to be better at some things than others, and it's okay to be worse at some things than others. Just enjoy yourself as best you can, and do what makes you happy.

Top Bottom