• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Dark Souls ain't that hard really" and "Kena's bosses are easier than you think" crap really needs to end

RareJordan

I feel like at a certain point you stop caring what other people say or think. I play all games on the easiest setting now. My gaming time is limited. I’d rather beat the boss on the first try. I play games for fun, and as an escape. I really don’t want to be challenged. My real life is challenging enough. When I was younger, I played on more difficult settings, and I’d refuse to look at guides. Now my time is more valuable! I know deep down I have the skill to play the difficult modes if I wanted to. But the fact is that it takes longer.

Knightime_X

I'm old and beat nes games legit.

I won't think twice about using a trainer for any game I wanna play but is above average in frustration.

I just want to enjoy the game.
And I'll do it by any means necessary, IF desired.

FStubbs

Some people are better at some games than others. As a kid I used to breeze through Zelda 2 with regularity but could ever make it through Super Mario Brothers once, for example.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I have beat Sekiro, and Kena, and Dark Souls, and Cuphead, and plenty of hard games, but the idea here is that you guys are bragging about being some sort of masters of difficulty once you do. Like some kid who just got transformers for Christmas and thinks you are Optimus Prime.

And what do you know, like clockwork, 90% of you start to complain and brag right off the bat on how I am a giant noob and shit. Is everyone here a weekend warrior? does everyone here HAVE to pretend they walked through Sekiro?

Listen, I could learn how to do handstands for 40 minutes, but that doesn't mean it ain't difficult. I could learn to play the solo for Comfortably Numb, that doesn't mean it's easy. It's the same principle in games, and you can't start to bitch and moan and try to puff your chest every time someone says something is hard. Learning is hard, and that's normal for all of you.

Bragr

Banned
If you're not enjoying what you're playing then play something else instead of getting frustrated and attacking the community around said games.
That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying other people shouldn't attack every other person who finds something difficult. The comments like "lol you struggle in Kena? lol just try and play Sekiro." That sort of rubbish. It's nonstop on this site, and I'm just saying it's childish, that's all.

Kacho

Gold Member
Outside of absolute ball busters like Ornstein and Smough or The Nameless King, Dark Souls seriously isn't that bad. If shit gets too tough you can almost always out level it, and the majority of the 'challenge' is just learning 2-3 patterns.

It's like learning guitar or something. Like, holy shit how is my pinky supposed to reach the fourth fret?! Then you practice and it's easy as pie.

Just get good, bruh.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm saying other people shouldn't attack every other person who finds something difficult. The comments like "lol you struggle in Kena? lol just try and play Sekiro." That sort of rubbish. It's nonstop on this site, and I'm just saying it's childish, that's all.

Why don't you address those posts directly then instead of having an attention seeking tantrum?

ethomaz

Banned
Dark Souls bosses are not that hard indeed.

I wish we have really more hard games like old days with SNES and Meta Drive.

Last edited:
What is this absolute horseshit?

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.
No boss ever took me even close to 20 tries in bloodborne da fuq

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Because every type of disability is the same as the next one, right?
Nope, and people with different disabilities and at varying levels are showing that if the proper accessibility options are there, then the difficulty/challenge of these games isn't the problem.
Yea, that's a good point. Those kinds of responses are insufferable. I like the people who make videos or respond with, "This boss is giving a lot of people trouble but he/she/it is actually not bad at all and here's what to do, what weapons to use, and what animation/sound/windup they make before they do that move that immediately kills you."

Bragr

Banned
Why don't you address those posts directly then instead of having an attention seeking tantrum?
Because the entire Kena thread is like that and it will be so with Metroid Dread too, it's an aggressive trend with any difficult game, mostly because people like you and most in this thread just enter and talk shit without thinking. Sometimes it's good to call that out.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.
Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit.

I have beat Sekiro, and Kena, and Dark Souls, and Cuphead, and plenty of hard games...
Take your own advice maybe?

Did you know that there is an ignore feature so you don't have to see low quality posts from people who annoy you? Let me demonstrate.

Swift_Star

Banned
I honestly haven't found any souls game that hard... The difficulty in souls games comes from not doing any research and going the game 100% blind which I think is boring af. I did all the games using online builds guide and that was that.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Take your own advice maybe?

Did you know that there is an ignore feature so you don't have to see low quality posts from people who annoy you? Let me demonstrate.
giphy.gif

Chiggs

The only unfair boss in Dark Souls is the Capra Demon and his pooches, especially if you encounter them early on, which most people do.

Total scumbag move by From. Their only real "cheap" boss.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Because the entire Kena thread is like that and it will be so with Metroid Dread too, it's an aggressive trend with any difficult game, mostly because people like you and most in this thread just enter and talk shit without thinking. Sometimes it's good to call that out.

sad get over it GIF

I tried to help. And no, the entire Kena thread is not like that, there are plenty of people talking about playing on lower difficulties.

Vaelka

The souls games aren't really hard, they're more about patience and figuring things out.
A hard game to me is a game that is difficult even when you know what to do.

jakinov

I never played Kena. But Dark Souls can be fairly mild in difficulty if you take advantage of what’s available to you in the game. I don’t think there’s many tricks to beating most of the bosses. You can just grind and do what most people do and fight boses with strangers (summoning). Dark Souls can be punishing and require a bit of extra skill here and there. But unless you set yourself up for difficulty there's things in the games that make it pretty easy. I wouldn't really call it figuring out what to do. It's kind of just common sense that you can keep grinding to pass levels to make your life easier and that having help by summoning (which is a a part of the game that is far from hidden with all the glowing words on the floor) can make things very easy too.

Banned
it's not bragging it' simply the truth... I grew up playing Ninja Gaiden, MegaMan on NES and many brutally hard games on GameBoy... DMC3 on normal is harder than Dark Souls... it is really weird how Dark Souls is always seen as this super hard game.

the only reason it is IMO is because modern games are watered down like crazy and people growing up with these watered down games, that target a completely different audience than games back even on PS2 did, are simply not used to playing games that actually demand attention and at least a minimal amount of skill and moment to moment decision making.

for example... if you played Ratchet Rift Apart on normal, it's a completely braindead game that basically lets you ignore 99% of its game mechanics... in the PS2 days and prior that shit didn't happen. Normal meant it's challenging and you need to pay attention. not anymore, now even on the highest settings games are easier than back in the day. hence why games like Dark Souls are now seen as "really hard", which they aren't.

there was a full on thread on here calling Demon's Souls remake "unfair" or even "the most unfair game ever" or something along these lines... mutherfuckers, I am not that good in souls games, when I see some people speedrun that shit I am in awe, and still yet I beat at least half of the bosses in 1 try and beat multiple areas/levels in 1 try + boss... THAT GAME IS NOT THAT HARD, neither is it unfair, yall just not used to it anymore.

Souls games aren't hard, they demand attention and that YOU know and use their mechanics properly... and that's what makes it hard for many, because as I said, nowadays basically no game actually demands that from you, at least on normal... Uncharted, Ratchet, Spider-Man, even Doom and Wolfenstein... on Normal most of them are completely braindead games that just let you go through the game with minimal resistance and basically ignoring half the mechanics.

I watched a friend play ratchet on normal, he literally didn't even use his weapons and just meleed hordes of enemies down without even coming close to dying or even thinking about it
that's what's going on. Souls is not hard, everything else is just getting dumbed the hell down unless you play on the max difficulty. I swear playing Rift Apart on anything but the highest difficulty is a waste of time in my opinion, because only at that setting does it really demand from you to have strategy and user your ammo intelligently

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.

Or, and this may shock you, the games aren't actually all that difficult and just require the bare minimum of attention, which is sadly more than most modern games? I have beaten all the souls games and I don't really consider them difficult. Hell, I had more trouble beating Ridley and the Spider Cunt in Samus Returns and Metroid Fusion respectively.

Maybe you should stop crying and blaming everyone else when you fail at beating a boss.

It is funny how some Soulsborne players act like legit battle-hardened warriors. The shit they’ve seen would make a normal gamer cry.
No, most don't. We say Souls games aren't that hard. Not because we are bragging about how good we are at gaming, but because Souls games aren't that difficult when compared to most other video games.

I'm not an expert gamer, but I don't find Demon's Souls or Dark Souls very difficult games, because they aren't (Sekiro is a different story). Cuphead is difficult. Returnal is difficult. Celeste is difficult.

Many games that are seen more as "casual" or mainstream are more difficult than Souls. Souls simply requires your attention and a methodical approach.

Last edited:
Some people are better at some games than others. As a kid I used to breeze through Zelda 2 with regularity but could ever make it through Super Mario Brothers once, for example.
Exactly. I'm terrible at 2D platformers. I've never complained that they're "too hard". I'm just not good at them, it's ok

Belthazar

Why does it bother you that people don't find X or Y hard and voice their opinions? Why feel bad about someone being good at something you're not? People have different skills, it's not a big deal and it shouldn't hurt your feelings.

Last edited:

Keihart

I have beat Sekiro, and Kena, and Dark Souls, and Cuphead, and plenty of hard games, but the idea here is that you guys are bragging about being some sort of masters of difficulty once you do. Like some kid who just got transformers for Christmas and thinks you are Optimus Prime.

And what do you know, like clockwork, 90% of you start to complain and brag right off the bat on how I am a giant noob and shit. Is everyone here a weekend warrior? does everyone here HAVE to pretend they walked through Sekiro?

Listen, I could learn how to do handstands for 40 minutes, but that doesn't mean it ain't difficult. I could learn to play the solo for Comfortably Numb, that doesn't mean it's easy. It's the same principle in games, and you can't start to bitch and moan and try to puff your chest every time someone says something is hard. Learning is hard, and that's normal for all of you.
So having to fail at something a couple of times makes it hard?
Pretty low bar, but gues then that yeah, most good games are hard then i guess.

toidy

Neo Member
Wait for the backlash when Elden Ring comes out. They've already announced that it's not as difficult as a Souls game (which I was happy to hear as i actually want to get through the story). These people are gonna flip.

RainblowDash

Gold Member
Last year I Platinum'd Bloodborne, in the end it isnt that hard.

Now Crash Bandicoot 4, that game is cancerously difficult...

Belthazar

Last year I Platinum'd Bloodborne, in the end it isnt that hard.

Now Crash Bandicoot 4, that game is cancerously difficult...

Crash 4 is actually pretty pretty balanced to run through normally, it bites back but not overwhelmingly so. But when you think about going for gems, relics and whatnot... it has some of the most poorly designed challenges I've ever seen in a high profile release.

Still a great game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Crash 4 is actually pretty pretty balanced to run through normally, it bites back but not overwhelmingly so. But when you think about going for gems, relics and whatnot... it has some of the most poorly designed challenges I've ever seen in a high profile release.

Still a great game.

Yep. Great game to play through, terrible game to complete. It isn't even really hard. Just a test of patience and padding.

Belthazar

Yep. Great game to play through, terrible game to complete. It isn't even really hard. Just a test of patience and padding.

My biggest gripe with it is that it's not a matter of getting good at the mechanics or exploring everything thoroughly... there's some hidden crates that you simply can't see AT ALL and can only get if you know exactly what to do. I really hope they get to do a Crash 5 to get things right

RafterXL

Of course they are hard, especially compared to the majority of games released in the same time period. People forget because once you've completed them, or gotten far enough in, they become significantly easier. There's also a large amount of people who say the games aren't hard but used a guide or tips along the way. Of course games aren't hard when you know what's coming ahead of time. First time, blind, From game runs are absolutely difficult. I'll also point out that a large contingent of Dark Souls fans shit themselves when Sekiro came out, because you couldn't (mostly) cheese it by over-leveling, summoning other people or bee-lining it right to the best equipment.

I beat every single Souls games which include Demons Souls (ps3) Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3 and Bloodborne with all achievements. It isn't hard, people just suck at having patience and easily rage because they do not understand the simple role mechanics or movement patterns.

The only hard boss is Antoris from DS 1 DLC and Orstein & Smough. Dark Souls II I don't remember anything being hard in terms of bosses but the level design was poopy and annoying to deal with. Demon Souls is a joke when it came to bosses, only real bosses was King Allant in the cathedral.

TLDR - Stop sucking and start learning.

You should also go outside and relax. You sound like someone took away your candy. Lol.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Souls games are just a slow burn. You just farm trash and gear just like in any MMO and learn what the enemy types and the bosses do and the game slowly gets easier.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
learn what the enemy types and the bosses do and the game slowly gets easier.
???? That true with most games, as you get to know enemies and bosses you get good at the game and it becomes easier. What you describing is act of playing video games, is there something wrong with that?

boomcrab

I agree with you OP, in fact I find it kind of hilarious how easily everyone got baited just now. I know it might sound ridiculous but I honestly believe like half these people dont even play the games themselves. They listen and read what others say and just recycle each others opinions. I dont get why it's so hard to admit when they find something difficult. It's the same people who have trouble admitting mistakes, like they're better than others. That's where the whole "git gud" bullshit stems from.

Banned
???? That true with most games, as you get to know enemies and bosses you get good at the game and it becomes easier. What you describing is act of playing video games, is there something wrong with that?

it's not true anymore nowadays... see my comment above. most modern games are so watered down and braindead that you don't have to learn anything and just blast through them, you often don't even need to know all the mechanics or think about any real strategy, neither do you need to focus on the game.

it usually goes like this nowadays:
Easy Mode = Literally a movie, you hold the play button down (left stick forward)
Normal Mode = Press attack from now and then, and maybe don't stand still doing nothing all that often
Hard Mode = What was known as Easy on PS1, you now need to actually give a shit and play the game
Very Hard = Hey you now need to actually know the mechanics of the game somewhat
Extreme Mode = What hard was called on PS1/PS2

most people just select normal and think that's how games are... just a walk in the park, you barely die and if you do you most likely did the dumbest shit imaginable to actually do die.
That's what's different about Souls games, you actually need to pay attention and you actually need to know how to play the game. It's not just a series of themepark rides that take you along with them like most modern AAA games are, you actually need to concentrate at the game for once.

and as time goes on people play games like these less and less, leading to the situation we are in now, where Souls games are a staple for "SUPER HARD GAMES" for hardcore gamers, when a 9yo in the early 90s (assuming that 9yo would magically know how to play 3D games of course) would laugh at you if you showed him Dark Souls 3 and told him it's super hard and you can't beat it... that 9yo would think you're joking.
even going back only a few generations back to the early PS2 days, people back then would also laugh at the thought that the Souls games are supposedly these super hard titles.

I agree with you OP, in fact I find it kind of hilarious how easily everyone got baited just now. I know it might sound ridiculous but I honestly believe like half these people dont even play the games themselves. They listen and read what others say and just recycle each others opinions. I dont get why it's so hard to admit when they find something difficult. It's the same people who have trouble admitting mistakes, like they're better than others. That's where the whole "git gud" bullshit stems from.

there is nothing to admit, Dark Souls is not hard, Kena is not hard, people are just not used to challenging games anymore... and by challenging I mean games that demand from you that you pay attention. can't have that nowadays anymore when games are targeting a demographic that plays 1 hour a week and gets frustrated when they die more than once in that hour.
we now have games like Uncharted 4 that are full of fake puzzles that solve themselves and fake platforming/climbing challenges that literally don't let you do a wrong move (yes I actually mean literally here... it won't let you do a wrong jump even when there are "obstacles" in the way, it will just keep you from jumping at the wrong time)

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Frankly, why would people care? Are gonna be mad because of what others think and say instead of playing? Play and beat the damn game.

You're only just showing the problem of people nowadays. Wasting more time ranting and raging about something stupid irrelevant than actually playing.

Nope, and people with different disabilities and at varying levels are showing that if the proper accessibility options are there, then the difficulty/challenge of these games isn't the problem.

Yea, that's a good point. Those kinds of responses are insufferable. I like the people who make videos or respond with, "This boss is giving a lot of people trouble but he/she/it is actually not bad at all and here's what to do, what weapons to use, and what animation/sound/windup they make before they do that move that immediately kills you."
That's fair. Any time I speak online about how I wish the soulsborne games had better and/or more accessibility options though, the gatekeepers dive all over me like maggots on a corpse.

boomcrab

it's not true anymore nowadays... see my comment above. most modern games are so watered down and braindead that you don't have to learn anything and just blast through them, you often don't even need to know all the mechanics or think about any real strategy, neither do you need to focus on the game.

it usually goes like this nowadays:
Easy Mode = Literally a movie, you hold the play button down (left stick forward)
Normal Mode = Press attack from now and then, and maybe don't stand still doing nothing all that often
Hard Mode = What was known as Easy on PS1, you now need to actually give a shit and play the game
Very Hard = Hey you now need to actually know the mechanics of the game somewhat
Extreme Mode = What hard was called on PS1/PS2

most people just select normal and think that's how games are... just a walk in the park, you barely die and if you do you most likely did the dumbest shit imaginable to actually do die.
That's what's different about Souls games, you actually need to pay attention and you actually need to know how to play the game. It's not just a series of themepark rides that take you along with them like most modern AAA games are, you actually need to concentrate at the game for once.

and as time goes on people play games like these less and less, leading to the situation we are in now, where Souls games are a staple for "SUPER HARD GAMES" for hardcore gamers, when a 9yo in the early 90s (assuming that 9yo would magically know how to play 3D games of course) would laugh at you if you showed him Dark Souls 3 and told him it's super hard and you can't beat it... that 9yo would think you're joking.
even going back only a few generations back to the early PS2 days, people back then would also laugh at the thought that the Souls games are supposedly these super hard titles.

there is nothing to admit, Dark Souls is not hard, Kena is not hard, people are just not used to challenging games anymore... and by challenging I mean games that demand from you that you pay attention. can't have that nowadays anymore when games are targeting a demographic that plays 1 hour a week and gets frustrated when they die more than once in that hour.
we now have games like Uncharted 4 that are full of fake puzzles that solve themselves and fake platforming/climbing challenges that literally don't let you do a wrong move (yes I actually mean literally here... it won't let you do a wrong jump even when there are "obstacles" in the way, it will just keep you from jumping at the wrong time)
I get your point and agree with you somewhat but if Dark Souls isnt hard what is? I'm just curious what you classify as hard in the contemporary sense. And I dont believe those games are targeting that demographic that you describe, maybe other games do but definitely not the souls games.

Top Bottom