• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This "Dark Souls ain't that hard really" and "Kena's bosses are easier than you think" crap really needs to end

Bragr

Banned
What is this absolute horseshit?

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.

T8SC

63f.jpg

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

People spend 20 tries on a boss in Dark Souls, beat it, and feel the need to run unto NeoGaf proclaiming: "the game ain't that hard lol." They beat one From Software game and feel like fucking Batman, and won't go one second without mentioning it.

And now, apparently, every boss in Bloodborne is easy, and Kena is a breeze in the wind that people beat with 1 hand and a bag over their head.

Kena got some hard fucking bosses, but you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.

"When you learn the boss, it's actually easy". No shit Sherlock Holmes. But first, you need to learn them, and that's not easy.

Let's end the fake big dick impersonating bragging bullshit. We get it, you are proud you beat a hard boss, but don't pretend you are Chuck Norris and come up with some story about how you beat them all on 2 tries and everyone is just a door knob compared to you.

793434.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
When bloggers for gaming sites and outraged people on twitter stop posting about how there needs to be an easy mode, hand wringing about accessibility, or throwing accusations of discrimination, then I will stop finding videos these types of games being completed one handed, with a DDR pad, or with Donkey Kong bongos in response.

Last edited:

Tranquil

I was able to defeat most of the bosess with little difficulty in dark souls 1, I used sorcery and beat them all, all the way to the final boss. I struggled on nito for some reason though.

bitbydeath

If you reverse hollowing and use NPC’s in Dark Souls to fight bosses then the game becomes much easier.

Saying that I do use guides to try find the best weapon or find where I should be going next when unsure.

Mokus

I have no big issues with the Souls games, but I did run into a brick wall with Returnal. It's dependent on how skilled are you with certain type of gameplay. People without patient and perseverance are just out of luck with games like Dark Souls. I can understand your frustration but you will have to accept that for other people is a different experience.

zcaa0g

Banned
The only people truly entitled to say it wasn't hard is the ones that completed the game the very first time they played it without dying.

Codes 208

When you play souls likes for hundreds of hours, they become easy. It is what it is.
Indeed. Gundyr had my fucking number as a intro boss in ds3 and now hes nothing but a speed bump

but the fact i had to work my way up to normalizing that level of difficulty was inspiring and what makes me respect and love the souls series. Theyre not easy (theyre not meant to be) but with perseverance they are manageable.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Dark Souls is harder than Kena.

Kena‘s last boss is long and difficult, and dying was frustrating because you have to start again from the start, but Dark Soul’s bosses can be alot harder.

Apart from the last boss in Kena I didnt die more than once or twice with a couple of bosses before it

fat guy GIF

bitbydeath

Indeed. Gundyr had my fucking number as a intro boss in ds3 and now hes nothing but a speed bump

but the fact i had to work my way up to normalizing that level of difficulty was inspiring and what makes me respect and love the souls series. Theyre not easy (theyre not meant to be) but with perseverance they are manageable.
I haven’t finished DS3 yet but he’s the hardest boss I’ve versed so far since you can’t level up.

Edit: The Abyss Watchers are a close second. I had to call an NPC to beat them.

Last edited:
What we're on about with the "it's not that hard" bit is that it is well designed.

To the extent that it is hard, there's always clues, there's always options, there's always alternatives. If you scout carefully you'll see that there's a guy waiting to ambush you under a bridge before you cross it. If some dude is shooting you in the back while you fight a boss you'll find you can explore more thoroughly and there's a back path you can use where you can take that guy out so he won't bother you anymore.

It's hard in a way that makes you a better player if you're just willing to learn. This is in strong contrast to a game that is hard in a bullshit way, for example an EA basketball game where you turn up the difficulty and the enemy AI remains exactly the same, but your shots are programmed to just miss a lot more often now. When we say it's not that hard, we mean it's not stupid and unfairly hard.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'll stop when people stop whining about them being too hard and impossible to beat without playing for hundreds of hours. Fight hyperbole with hyperbole.

Also if you you don't have the reaction speed to beat a Dark Souls boss with the help of 2-3 phantoms I half seriously think you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Pejo

If I have ever seen a bait thread for "git gud" replies, this is it OP. I will refrain but you may not get so lucky from drive by shitposters. I don't see the point of complaining about people learning how to beat a boss then saying "it wasn't too hard". That's just learning how to play. Also, there's likely a peer approval component that people like to be part of a group, in this case, a group that was able to beat a boss. Not really that big of a deal, is it?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

TagZ

My first Fromsoft game was Sekiro. I did try Dark Souls 3 on an xbox one before but refused to continue with the shit frame rate. Played Dark Souls 3 recently on PC while waiting for Elden Ring and for example I one shot both the Dancer boss? Forgot his name and Yhorm. I feel overall Sekiro is a much better game. All I do in Dark Souls is roll and slash.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Darksouls plays with you mind with off beat rhythms and it cause players to turtle constantly in places you can simply just run past.

you get on here and it's: "roflcopter the bosses are so easy you are just shitty lol", like you didn't just spend 10 tries getting past them.
Ten tries to beat something isn't that bad. Games used to be designed explicitly for the player to fail. Taking the the time to learn the game is exactly why so many people like these titles. What fun is a game where you steamroll every boss in one or two attempts?

Could also, ya know, summon help in the Souls games, which makes the bosses really trivial.

Anyway, Returnal is much harder than any Souls game, so brace yourself for ten more years of people bragging about beating that game too. Fact is, there's a ton of much harder games than Souls games, which is why people who play them tell you that they're "easy". They're not really easy, but they're hardly as difficult as their reputation. I've seen first time players beat The Cleric Beast on their first attempt, with no other experience in a Souls game. The biggest skill set you need is patience.

Mossybrew

What fun is a game where you steamroll every boss in one or two attempts?

This. A game needs to offer some pushback or it just becomes boring. I'm not gonna comment on Souls because I hate those games, but Kena's bosses are fair, challenging yes, will you die a few times as you learn the encounter, probably yes, but there's no penalty for dying other than restarting the encounter, and you'll feel good once you beat that guy after five or six or even ten tries. if you beat him on the first go it would just be "meh" and you'd move along and forget it ever happened soon after.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sekiro is way way harder. Can't grind to level up, and you need to parry.

DS3 was hard, but felt great beating it. A lot of games are only hard because they have cheap bosses, Shin Megami Tensei is famous for this. Dark Souls is fair.

Razvedka

Banned
I still flex on people who haven't beaten Doom Eternal on nightmare. You're either in the Taras Nabad club or you're bad.

Last edited:

bargeparty

Sekiro is way way harder. Can't grind to level up, and you need to parry.

DS3 was hard, but felt great beating it. A lot of games are only hard because they have cheap bosses, Shin Megami Tensei is famous for this. Dark Souls is fair.

you can spam the parry though, well you can spam block or whatever it is.

When bloggers for gaming sites and outraged people on twitter stop posting about how there needs to be an easy mode, hand wringing about accessibility, or throwing accusations of discrimination, then I will stop finding videos these types of games being completed one handed, with a DDR pad, or with Donkey Kong bongos in response.
Because every type of disability is the same as the next one, right?

Aenima

Thers a diference between frustating hard, like some indie games that u can only beat after trying multiple times and eventually get lucky. Or challenging hard where it looks hard at 1st, but after some tries you learn the boss movements and the battle becomes much easier. And if you summon ppl to help u, then its just piece of cake easy. Thats why Soul games are indeed not that hard, but they are challenging.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

If you're not enjoying what you're playing then play something else instead of getting frustrated and attacking the community around said games.

Top Bottom