• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about buying a 4 tb SSD

poodaddy

Just as the title states, I'm considering buying a 4tb SSD, as I'm just kind of fuckin over deleting stuff. I already have a 2tb NVME Samsung, so it's not exactly the most essential purchase in the world, but I just don't wanna have to dick around with storage management anymore when it comes to all my games, music, books, movies and what not, so I figure 6 tb total should pretty much nix the issue. Yeah I know, first world problems and all that. I was hoping to get some recommendations from folks right now, with consideration to price, performance, and most of all, reliability. Basically, if you were buying an SSD right now, what would you go for? I've been eyeing the 4tb WD Red SSD on Amazon, as it's a bit cheaper than the Samsung 860, so any comments concerning WD drives in particular are well appreciated. I've used WD and HGST strictly for quite a while now when it comes to HDD's, but I'm getting rid of all HDD's altogether and going full flash storage solutions, and I haven't really heard anything about how WD's SSD's measure up to Samsung or Crucial's. Thanks in advance.

Iamborghini

4To is for long term, but in 1 or 2 years prices will drop like crazy because there will be more competitions. I think it's bad idea, unless you are rich.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sounds like your mind is made up already.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Just buy a mechanical drive for storage of movies and tv shows, ssd will die way sooner anyways, its okay to use for the os, browser and games, but storage/archiving just use a mechanical will last way longer and is way cheaper

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd hang fire. I know its frustrating but speeds are only going to increase and prices go down. Even in just a years time the situation should be a lot better.

crumbs

Is this substantially worse in any capacity than the WD Red one?

Their Red drives are geared towards NAS storage, Blue is for general computing at a decent price. Neither will be the fastest SSDs, but they'll still be much faster than a mechanical drive.

$370 is about as cheap as a 4TB name brand SATA SSD is going for these days.

CamHostage

You are always going to regret paying whatever you pay for storage when looking back at the prices in the future, and you will always be furious with yourself for not upgrading the insufficient storage you're suffering to live with right now...

So best option is to just set money aside, look into what's coming up to see if there's any breakthroughs coming (if it's external storage, you're not looking at anything crazy around the corner AFAIK unless you're talking Memory Cards and SD Express,) and just be ready to kiss those bucks goodbye when you find a deal that you could live with. 4TB is never going to be enough, but 4TB is going to be a heck of a lot until it isn't, at which point, you'll be back to square one anyway.

Just buy a mechanical drive for storage of movies and tv shows, ssd will die way sooner anyways, its okay to use for the os, browser and games, but storage/archiving just use a mechanical will last way longer and is way cheaper

I'm not sure that's true? For daily use, a SSD will inevitably lead to sector failure (sort of ironically, considering you're going to want a SSD as your daily-use baby,) but for cold storage or for like a media server, isn't a SSD going to last longer, assuming you are not changing up the content constantly? I have had failures of both HDDs and memory (never a SSD, but I've had plenty of Memory Cards and Memory Sticks just turn to shit), but there's nothing worse in my life than hearing that "whirr**CLICK**" of a busted HDD, and that's the inevitable heartbreak that you face with HDDs. With SSD, we know that they can fail, and can fail suddenly and hard (though I believe directory structure is replicated better now on modern drives, correct?) but I have yet to have one flame out so catastrophically and distressingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom