• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things ER could learn from Ubisoft and things Ubisoft could learn from ER

You can't seriously consider Tomb Raider and Soul Reaver good plataforming tho, that's some really rose tinted glasses.
They’re both more precise due to using grid design. They might be slower, but neither felt like you had moments where you lost control or slipped due to being too loose.

But since you don't like those games, how about something like the recent 3D Mario games? There's precision and timing in them too.

Keihart

They’re both more precise due to using grid design. They might be slower, but neither felt like you had moments where you lost control or slipped due to being too loose.

But since you don't like those games, how about something like the recent 3D Mario games? There's precision and timing in them too.
Those examples are the definition of finicky.
Mario has a lot of air control so it's not even close to be the same.

yup, very little to no air control unless you double jump, that's why.
I remember liking the jump because there was always a calculated guarantee on distance when landing. Maybe if ER had that I could consider the platforming to be a bit better. Currently it just feels a bit too loose and slippery, especially on horseback. This is their first souls game with horses in it though so there's always room for improvement.

Literally nothing - I like that I have to look shit up online if I can’t figure it out in Elden ring - I don’t need the game to give me all of the answers I can take part in the process

I do appreciate your attempt at balance, but oh boy let’s hope From doesn’t move away from awe inspiring fantastically imagined worlds to…the deserts of Egypt.
The deserts of Egypt is a bad location? That’s why I bought the game - it was the best part of it.

Otherwise agreed tho - the art would go to waste on a real location. Like should Zelda be set in a real place? Or Mario? It just goes against the whole thing imo

mxbison

FROM could definitely learn some better balancing and loot. (Don't know how good Ubisoft does it recently though)

Difficulty went from hard to absolute face roll easy after a few hours if you get the right weapon. (Which also shows the issue with loot, most of it is useless)

GymWolf

I don't remember having problems with the lock on\camera in latest ac games so maybe from can copy that since camera and lock on in er are not exactly flawless and cause more deaths than people are ready to admit.

Of course ubisoft can learn how to make an open world with a combat system that doesn't suck complete ass.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I do appreciate your attempt at balance, but oh boy let’s hope From doesn’t move away from awe inspiring fantastically imagined worlds to…the deserts of Egypt.
What is fantastically imagined in From’s medieval castles and shantytowns and caverns?
Even the most “unreal” areas in Elden Ring still borrow heavily from ancient Greek- Roman architecture.

FROM could definitely learn some better balancing and loot. (Don't know how good Ubisoft does it recently though)

Difficulty went from hard to absolute face roll easy after a few hours if you get the right weapon. (Which also shows the issue with loot, most of it is useless)
I disagree with loot being useless. It's very rare to have a "best" weapon in Souls games. There are too many factors, not only with your build and how the weapon scales with your particular stats, but with how weapons have completely different move sets that feel or work better/worse on how you specifically tend to play the game.

mxbison

I disagree with loot being useless. It's very rare to have a "best" weapon in Souls games. There are too many factors, not only with your build and how the weapon scales with your particular stats, but with how weapons have completely different move sets that feel or work better/worse on how you specifically tend to play the game.

I don't know, I got a 100% physical defense shield and the Bloodhound's Fang like 6 hours in and the game went from hard to super easy.

Kills most normal enemies in 1-3 hits and bosses in like 10. That's not using the spirit summons which would make it even easier.

No other stuff I found in the next areas was anywhere near as good. So I checked Fextralife and comments say both the shield and sword are some of the best in the game and can pretty much carry you all the way through. Why is that stuff in the starting area?!

I guess things look different in PVP, but in the normal game the balancing is way off IMO.

Keihart

I don't know, I got a 100% physical defense shield and the Bloodhound's Fang like 6 hours in and the game went from hard to super easy.

Kills most normal enemies in 1-3 hits and bosses in like 10. That's not using the spirit summons which would make it even easier.

No other stuff I found in the next areas was anywhere near as good. So I checked Fextralife and comments say both the shield and sword are some of the best in the game and can pretty much carry you all the way through. Why is that stuff in the starting area?!

I guess things look different in PVP, but in the normal game the balancing is way off IMO.
any especial weapon dwarfs the normal ones stat wise, there is a lot of equipment that you could replace that for if you wanted to.
For example, the bleed on the bloodhound knight sword is nothing compared to having a weapon you can use black flame blade with.

Bloodhound knight sword is really good on the starting area tho, but not the only really good one, just one of the best available in the region.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I can think of one thing: better climbing/traversal system.

Imagine being able to pull yourself up, mount, scale, and have more precision jumping in Elden Ring. It would be just a small enough change to improve one aspect of the game that's somewhat poor in execution.

206679.gif
The Office No GIF

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
ER could learn from Ubisoft:

Not making your character so slow/retarded and that becomes tired too fast;
Make your character to know how to handle a sword without looking like an amateur;
Make you character to know more than moves;
Make your character to know how to climb....

Hail Goddess Kassandra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom