• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These are all traps by Sony’s enemies

So we’ve all been watching Sony getting bad rep recently for some of their decisions etc. There is narrative trying to be created that they are anti-consumer and arrogant again. But it’s all a trap, don’t be naive people. It’s a trap to keep Sony investing in areas that are useless right now.

1. Why are they abandoning old gens? Because I’m sure they have exact data that tells them nobody is playing this stuff. We’ve seen this many times when company decides to pull the plug on something nobody plays anymore but because of sentimental value loud group of forum dwellers try to create a fuss. Ridiculous. Just do it and save the money.

2. What is Sony’s answer to Gamepass? There doesn’t need to be one. Their game development is costly, yes but they also sell a lot and are providing record profits for gaming division. Something is clearly working. PS Plus and Now are just enough.

3. Getting rid of Japan Studio. Japan is lost cause, they moved on from home console gaming for one reason or another. It’s all handheld and it’s all Nintendo. This isn’t Sony’s fault. Don’t tell me they created such a Japanese-centric games before because they didn’t, they only had third-party monopoly back at the time. It doesn’t get more Japanese than Ghost of Tsushima and it still didn’t sell as much as it should there (as your typical Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest) considering it’s their fucking history.

4. Jimbo refused Kojima. Yes, because his game they invested so much in was a commercial (and to an extent critical) flop. If we can draw one conclusion from Sony’s MO is that they don’t tolerate failure. They gave him everything he wanted including help from other major studio, something he didn’t have at Konami during his last project there and he produced them that!? Let Microsoft fund his craziness from now on, good riddance.

5. Sony only creates narrative-focused action-adventures that all look and play samey. Well, that’s objectively not true because they funded many experimental projects but key is that they found their niche and are excelling at it. It’s become their brand and what community expects from them. It works. People that don’t wish Sony good are trying to tell them to do something else, create new IP, experiment with indie ideas etc. Meaning, burn your hard-earned money just to feel good all the way to bankruptcy. Why don’t you tell Nintendo to finally move on from Zelda and Mario after 30 fucking years or Microsoft with their worn out Halo franchise. Na-ah, I’m seeing right through your ill intentions.

6. 70$. This is only egregious in Europe where it’s 80€ but because of the weak dollar right now it’s nothing in US. Your recent standard hike perfectly justifies this price hike. But key here is that Sony’s games drop their price relatively quickly and there are tons of sales and deals throughout the year, it’s really not an issue unless you’re Day 1 zealot. Nintendo, meanwhile, doesn’t know what discount is, sells their old games at full price and people still buy their shit in droves.

Conclusion. Jim Ryan led SCEE very successfully for years and that’s why he got this job. Even if some decisions are not immediately popular with tiny but loud internet crew, I’m sure they’re best for the company. Until it shows in financial results I have no reason to doubt them. Dark days of early-mid PS3 lifecycle will never come back again.

Renozokii

So you see Japan move away from Sony because they didn't play hard enough in portable gaming and just say oh well and think the same shift can't happen in the US when they don't have an answer to Gamepass?
Sony currently owns one of the most popular mobile games in Japan and has made 4 billion from it since launch. Sony has more mobile games coming. Japan didn’t move on from Sony, Sony adapted to changing conditions in the Japanese market.

DaGwaphics

camping charlie day GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Shit, they're onto us guys, back to the Discord....

I'm going to ignore the fact that 99.99% of these "Sony Management" or "Jim Ryan" threads are started by users that are obsessively PRO Sony.

Kdad

Sony currently owns one of the most popular mobile games in Japan and has made 4 billion from it since launch. Sony has more mobile games coming. Japan didn’t move on from Sony, Sony adapted to changing conditions in the Japanese market.
I said portable for a reason, not mobile. No PlayStation fans are yearning for SONYs mobile offerings.

Renozokii

I said portable for a reason, not mobile. No PlayStation fans are yearning for SONYs mobile offerings.
Japanese gamers didn’t move away from Sony. They gave Sony all their money on their phone instead. Sony stopped putting a strong focus on selling the PlayStation to them as a result. It’s not a black and white situation as you are painting it. And the switch is lightning in a bottle. I’m not sure what game Sony could possibly have had ready for Japan that would unseat the insane run the switch is having in Japan right now.

Renozokii

The concerns are xbots doing a misinformation campaign, believe me!
iu
No Microsoft would never astroturf to shift the attitude of the internet to be more positive towards them and their products. A 2 trillion dollar company using pocket change to pay a company to hype up their new product after they invested 10 billion makes literally no sense.

They’d

Never

Do

That

Not

Ever

So you see Japan move away from Sony because they didn't play hard enough in portable gaming and just say oh well and think the same shift can't happen in the US when they don't have an answer to Gamepass?
Shift to mobile makes sense in Japan considering their daily life, living space and mentality I guess. Shift to GP sounds silly, people that love Xbox will use it, for others it changes nothing really. They’re gonna buy their CoD in October, Fifa in September and Sony’s next big hitter when it comes out.

Renozokii

Gee, "enemies". This feels a bit tinfoil hat required.

Or at very least
Danger 5 Laughing GIF
Microsoft has decades of monopolistic behavior and if you look above I link 6 examples of them being caught red handed astroturfing to hurt their opposition, which is crazy as most companies don’t get caught once. This is a company willing to buy a company out for billions rather than even attempt competition. What an ignorant mind set to have that Microsoft doesn’t see anything standing between them and dominating the gaming industry as an enemy.

Keihart

No Microsoft would never astroturf to shift the attitude of the internet to be more positive towards them and their products. A 2 trillion dollar company using pocket change to pay a company to hype up their new product after they invested 10 billion makes literally no sense.

They’d

Never

Do

That

Not

Ever
Dude, get grip. Take a second look to the posters you are calling "enemies"

Renozokii

Dude, get grip. Take a second look to the posters you are calling "enemies"
Posters aren’t enemies. The almost instant attitude shift that has occurred in the literal last two weeks isn’t an organic or natural one. I was here one day and the threads were all fairly standard and more about games with some light console warring, the next it was all Sony is doomed. It wasn’t gradual and it didn’t coincide with any particular piece of news. Look at the comical amounts of baseless, too good to be true rumors being posted near daily giving us all reason to be super excited for Xbox. Funny coincidence that they have no big games aside from halo to sell their console. “But buy an Xbox, you might get Mario, wink” “oh what’s that? I hear Xbox may have another major unannounced game this year.”

Anyone that doesn’t at least try to understand the scope of astroturfing and the general control a 2 trillion dollar company can take of any website or forum they decide to is ignorant on purpose. Especially in the context of a company that has been caught doing it again and again.

Keihart

Posters aren’t enemies. The almost instant attitude shift that has occurred in the literal last two weeks isn’t an organic or natural one. I was here one day and the threads were all fairly standard and more about games with some light console warring, the next it was all Sony is doomed. It wasn’t gradual and it didn’t coincide with any particular piece of news. Look at the comical amounts of baseless, too good to be true rumors being posted near daily giving us all reason to be super excited for Xbox. Funny coincidence that they have no big games aside from halo to sell their console. “But buy an Xbox, you might get Mario, wink” “oh what’s that? I hear Xbox may have another major unannounced game this year.”

Anyone that doesn’t at least try to understand the scope of astroturfing and the general control a 2 trillion dollar company can take of any website or forum they decide to is ignorant on purpose. Especially in the context of a company that has been caught doing it again and again.
Yeah well maybe it's timing? I don't care to look for it, but i've been posting my concerns with Hermen and Ryan since Shuhei was sidelined, the writing was on the wall, it is not some unforeseen twist of events. It's only the logical direction that has been hinted since more the a year already.

DaGwaphics

So basically, JR went off the deep end because he thought Kristin got a Gaf account and this resulted in your conspiracy theory?

MrSarcastic

Banned
Death stranding broke even.
They have a game pass thing on PSNow but they need to rebrand it or do something else.

Now and for the N time, all this drama around PlayStation is the best thing that can happen to the fans/consumers; is pressure to PlayStation just to wake the fuck up.

And remember, never underestimate the power of PlayStation, that company can be savage if they really want or need to be.

Death stranding broke even.
They have a game pass thing on PSNow but they need to rebrand it or do something else.

Now and for the N time, all this drama around PlayStation is the best thing that can happen to the fans/consumers; is pressure to PlayStation just to wake the fuck up.

And remember, never underestimate the power of PlayStation, that company can be savage if they really want or need to be.
I agree on your first point.

I absolutely agree on your second point.

You'll have to define "savage" before I can agree or disagree with your third. Once upon a time, Sony held such dominance over the market that they could indeed be savage as far as competitive practices goes. That is clearly not the case these days.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

nonsense. this has been building up for months if not a year. going back to the disastrous road to ps5. the only difference was that MS was fucking up more than Sony and it was easier to shit on MS. Now MS has tightened their ship and Sony is fucking up on a weekly basis.

I remember their second PS5 conference in September was extremely poorly received. There was the $70 price tag controversy, then they said that Miles and Horizon 2 are cross gen after saying how they believe in generations, and those bizarre demon souls coming to PC and other consoles fuck ups.

This isnt new. People were already upset at Horizon being ported to PC. Then they said lets all calm down, that doesnt mean horizon going to pc means every game will come to PC. Of course six months later, they announced Days Gone coming to PC and said other games will come to PC as well.

They still dont support VRR. They still dont support 1440p. they cancelled psx. they cancelled e3 three years in a row. They still dont have 60 fps patches for Horizon despite spending 6 months fixing the port on PC. They still havent updated Bloodborne despite fans asking for years. They wasted dev time porting MLB to 4 xbox consoles delaying it by a month and then launching without any next gen visual enhancements. its the same fucking game. Then they allow it to go on gamepass for free. a move so boneheaded you wonder just what kind of children are running playstation. how do you not see that coming? shouldve been clear as day when they sold the publishing rights to MLB. now ps fans will $70 pay for this last gen game while xbox owners get it for a dollar.

they cancel days gone 2. shut down japan studios even though they helped make or made gravity rush 2, the last guardian, demon souls remake, astro bot, and of course bloodborne. now they are having naught dog waste their time remaking a last gen version of tlou1. a last gen version of factions. they will give us tlou part 2 4k 60 fps with the same visuals and make us pay $70 for it. they wont confirm if gow is next gen only when asked point blank. which means its not. so their three big studios are all making last gen games.

and you think this is fake or propaganda by microsoft astroturfers? no these are things that have happened and are not fake news. they are history. this is on sony. stop making excuses. people like sony for different reasons. you just dont give a shit about those reasons, but it doesnt mean they are fake.

p.s death stranding was a critical flop? it literally won 73 goty awards from critics to re2's 62 goty awards. overall, including fan ratings it won 112 to re2's 92. literally the most awarded goty winner of 2020. it was by no means a critical flop. kojima fucking won best director for it. not that it matters. kojima has been snynomous with playstation going back to mgs1. mgs2's e3 2000 demo is what made ps2 a sensation. mgs3, mgs4, PT, death stranding are all playstation exclusives that have inspired millions upon millions of fans. and you expect those fans to sit down and watch as their favorite creator gets told fuck you, go to microsoft? no they will speak up. they are fans of playstation because of kojima and his games. not because of Jim Ryan and his fucking european ad campaigns.

• Death Stranding- 112
    • Media Outlets: 73 | Readers' Choice: 39
  • Resident Evil 2- 92
    • Media Outlets: 62 | Readers' Choice: 30

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
While I disagree with some of the points, the fact is some people are distorting everything by making it worsen, so their favorite brand looks better in comparison.

the problem is there are people who are genuinely concerned about some recent moves at PS but we never truly discuss it because it turns into a console war.

At least Sony fans aren’t going into deep denial - making up rumors and pretend everything is well ( you know whom team I am taking about)

Nintendo fans are being left out in all this! We need some drama too!!!!

I have to point out that the last part is me joking, there’s no need to the fanboys being angry

This thread is embarrassing

e7ujVHi.jpg

longdi

Banned
Imo since Jimbo took over their global marketing team in 2016, SCE has slowly gone quiet, culminatig to today problems.... Giving gamers a sense of pridefulness and distancing.

And with MS showing great desires and results in obtaining good features for gamers.

SCE is seen as stuck in their high grounds these days.

The Sony fanboys keep waving the issues off, citing the big first party titles are all we need....are not helping. Unless of course we go all Nintendo-y and is fine as such. 🤷‍♀️

MrSarcastic

Banned
You'll have to define "savage" before I can agree or disagree with your third. Once upon a time, Sony held such dominance over the market that they could indeed be savage as far as competitive practices goes. That is clearly not the case these days.
It seems that a lot of people believe that PlayStation can't do anything because they don't have as much money as MS, and that's where the savage part comes up. If Sony needed to spend a crazy amount of money or make strategic partnerships they would do it to keep their dominance. Sony is not going to left their (probably most) important division just rest in their laurels watching MS and other companies eat the cake.

longdi

Banned
It seems that a lot of people believe that PlayStation can't do anything because they don't have as much money as MS, and that's where the savage part comes up. If Sony needed to spend a crazy amount of money or make strategic partnerships they would do it to keep their dominance. Sony is not going to left their (probably most) important division just rest in their laurels watching MS and other companies eat the cake.

Imo Sony really dont have as much money as MS.
And with their new leader,who seems a non-gamer, purely financial suit person. and outdated (wrt tech) even...
Think it is fair for some to come to such conclusions.
The results so far...dont seem to contradict our fears.

The concerns are xbots doing a misinformation campaign, believe me!
iu
It's fucking obvious mate.

Open up YouTube and you'll see a dozen anti-PS videos. We've had thread after thread created on this forum regarding Jim and how he's driving PS into the ground. There's anti-PS threads popping up everywhere.

Also this happened before and at the beginning of last gen too. At that time you could have sworn Xbox was going to put PS out of business the way some people were acting and posting all kinds of doom and gloom for Sony both on this forum and in the media. And just like last gen Sony was radio silent from the get go, just like they are now and ended up crushing the competition.

Also don't get the hate for Jim Ryan. He wouldn't be promoted to such an important role if he was an egg. PS is one of (if not) Sony's most important division so I'm sure you have higher ups who are looking in the best interest of the business by putting someone in charge who is competent and can push the division forward.
But nevermind Jim's record of turning Europe into Fortress Sony. Xbox would be lucky to even get a sniff in that region.

So yeah I'm of the opinion that there seems to be some sort of anti-PS/Sony media blitz and some forum members here are trying to amplify that. You even have some PS fans in this forum losing their shit (if they are even PS fans).
I get that we're going through a pandemic Everything is fucked up. People are at home more now than before the pandemic but this is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom