• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

These are all the features the Xbox Series X is losing vs. Xbox One

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here are some of the major features from the Xbox One era we're losing with the Xbox Series X.

Gone
HDMI-in
IR blaster
SPDIF optical audio

Probably gone?
OneGuide?

Possibly gone?
Kinect support?

Check the link if you want more information.

Here are some of the major features from the Xbox One era we're losing with the Xbox Series X.

Gone
HDMI-in
IR blaster
SPDIF optical audio

Probably gone?
OneGuide?

Possibly gone?
Kinect support?

1. hdmi in was overrated as it never outputted 4k or HDR content
  2. IR blaster....i think most things are controlled by phones/apps so no loss there
  3. Optical audio is also not a great loss as most people run through their TVs...the only thing it may improve is gaming headset compatibility as some were bound to this

RespawnX

HDMI comes from a time when TV still played a role. Microsoft was right with its "TV" future, it just didn't become TV but streaming.
IR Blaster is no longer needed because we no longer need a remote control.
I cannot explain the absence of SPDIF. Probably simple cost saving, Sony started with the PS4.
OneGuide siehe HDMI-In.
Kinect is dead, sadly.

Quasicat

For me, it’s the Background music player app. I would hope it’s just backwards compatible software accessing the USB port, but I play tons of music through it and it would be a deal breaker for me. That’s literally how much I use it!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well gamers got pissed off at the tv stuff Microsoft listened. It sucks for someone who uses them.

ZywyPL

Banned
With that auto-HDR I actually wish XBX came with as many HDMI-IN as possible. That single future is what actually makes buying a HDR TV viable, worthy purchase.

FeldMonster

I upvoted for the simple reason that you spelled "losing" with one "o", an unfortunate rarity online these days.

On topic, I am sad to see the HDMI in and guide go away, but the rest don't bother me. The IR remote was awful, rarely worked for me (seriously, I have to click 3-4 times for anything to register), and was a complete waste of my money.

Optical audio? Who cares? What TV doesn't have HDMI these days? (though judging by the heathens on this site arguing against 4K in next gen consoles, I wouldn't doubt if some of you out are still using component cables to game)

I remember when I tossed the Kinect into my closet on day one when the Xbox launched back in 2013. It's still in there!

Last edited:
I upvoted for the simple reason that you spelled "losing" with one "o", an unfortunate rarity online these days.

On topic, I am sad to see the HDMI in and guide go away, but the rest don't bother me. The IR remote was awful, rarely worked for me (seriously, I have to click 3-4 times for anything to register), and was a complete waste of my money.

Optical audio? Who cares? What TV doesn't have HDMI these days? (though judging by the heathens on this site arguing against 4K in next gen consoles, I wouldn't doubt if some of you out are still using component cables to game)
I use optical to connect to a DAC as running through the TV adds too much delay to rocksmith.

I like being able to use my universal remote on my xbox, so no IR blaster sucks.
They're removing the emitter, not the receiver, so you'll be able to use your remote.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Optical is the biggest loss for expensive gaming headsets with mixers. Astro is apparently already working on a dongle so no great loss, knew this port was always going to die just a shame Astro hang onto it for so long.

Kagey K

Banned
Optical is the biggest loss for expensive gaming headsets with mixers. Astro is apparently already working on a dongle so no great loss, knew this port was always going to die just a shame Astro hang onto it for so long.
They should have been moving to Arc when it became a thing,

Im sure there will be affordable solutions to move over to it.

Last edited:

Alx

I'd miss the HDMI in + OneGuide most (use it everyday, and yes it's still useful especially in countries where most people get their TV programs through their internet box). Kinect second (used daily for voice commands, and occasionally for the few games that use it).
As a consequence I'll probably keep my Xbox One as the main media center for a while. I'm not losing hope they'd add support to Kinect games on XsX though, after all they did say that all Xbox One games would run on it, and it only needs a USB port to connect it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Gone
HDMI-in
IR blaster
SPDIF optical audio

Probably gone?
OneGuide?

Possibly gone?
Kinect support?

wasn't optical a port on the back of the leaked pics?
ZfUEWVm.jpg

Last edited:

Redlight

I'll miss the TV features
Me too. Mine is integrated into a home theatre so I had voice commands for all components and I really liked the 'one input' features. The Series X seems like the most powerful console next gen so I'll probably stick with it. That said, if it power doesn't show up in third-party software then I'm jumping ship to Sony.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
wasn't optical a port on the back of the leaked pics?
ZfUEWVm.jpg
There are multiple versions. That leaked version also had an IR blaster. The version DF saw did not. But of course their version could've just been a mockup. Or they removed some I/O for cost saving measures.

cHaOs667

Gone
HDMI-in
IR blaster
SPDIF optical audio

Probably gone?
OneGuide?

Possibly gone?
Kinect support?

And I use(d) every single one of them.

I still have my cable box running through HDMI-in into my X1X and use the IR blaster to control it (OneGuide is so much better than the build in system).

But yeah, doesn't matter - my cable box will be gone in August (nearly nobody watches TV anymore in my household), SPDIF is not in use anymore (new AV Receiver) and my Kinect is hooked up to my PC.

btw: I miss the Picture in Picture feature - I've used this while half time shows at sport events happened...

Last edited:

nikolino840

And I use(d) every single one of them.

I still have my cable box running through HDMI-in into my X1X and use the IR blaster to control it (OneGuide is so much better than the build in system).

But yeah, doesn't matter - my cable box will be gone in August (nearly nobody watches TV anymore in my household), SPDIF is not in use anymore (new AV Receiver) and my Kinect is hooked up to my PC.

btw: I miss the Picture in Picture feature - I've used this while half time shows at sport events happened...
Don't you have the pip on your tv?

-Troid-

Banned
Damn the lack of Optical Audio port is gonna be a bit of a problem when I go to hook it up to my Surround Sound system; my reciever is pretty old and that's the newest cable option it supports.

Birdo

Banned
Damn the lack of Optical Audio port is gonna be a bit of a problem when I go to hook it up to my Surround Sound system; my reciever is pretty old and that's the newest cable option it supports.

I've used an "HDMI Optical Audio Extractor" in the past. They extract optical audio from your HDMI passthrough.

There are loads on Amazon.

71R7wiTodxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Funny this OP, but some of these culled features were praised as what would define Xbox and the generation in 2013.... Kinect, talking to you TV, hdmi in and of course TV TV TV and snap....

The journalists lapped this up on how important these features were and how XBOX would take over the living room....

I use optical for audio and wish the XSX was including an optical out.

Of course there will be people that still use optical out. Have you looked at sending optical out from your TV to your sound system? For myself and many others it is a lot cleaner, You never have to change your audio source

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hated Kinect, hated the OneGuide, hated the IR blaster stuff - none if it worked right for me, ever, and in fact for a period of time (from one system update to another) I couldn't get sound when I used my cable box. So good riddance, but that was just my experience.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
XSX is losing the feature of being a console.
Funny this OP, but some of these culled features were praised as what would define Xbox and the generation in 2013.... Kinect, talking to you TV, hdmi in and of course TV TV TV and snap....

The journalists lapped this up on how important these features were and how XBOX would take over the living room....
I have to applaud these guys for their ability to bring console wars to a completely unrelated thread.

Last edited:
Of course there will be people that still use optical out. Have you looked at sending optical out from your TV to your sound system? For myself and many others it is a lot cleaner, You never have to change your audio source

I think on most TV’s the audio is stripped down to stereo when doing that. Newer TV’s can pass through Dolby Digital etc but not many can.

IR blaster is really not needed anymore, since any remote should work as long as you have HDMI-CEC/Simplink (and whatever it’s called).

I use my remote to control my PS4 quite often to browse PSN or Screenshots etc and then switch back to my aTV. it’s nice that stuff works like that nowadays.

Top Bottom