• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's nothing worse than a good game that just doesn't know when to end

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I know there are plenty of games that pad the experience, but here's a thought.

There's nothing worse than a gamer that just doesn't know when to stop.

Just turn it off when you aren't having fun. Life is too short and there are too many options, don't force yourself to continue. Recognize the unhealthy behavior and accept that it's okay to move on. So many games prey on gamers by using emotionally manipulative mechanics. Look at any of the cookie clicker style games for blatant examples of what I'm talking about.

You can still enjoy the good without forcing yourself to suffer. One of the great things about gaming today is there are plenty of other people who will post up full play-throughs so you don't even have to get hung up on seeing the story end.

One comforting thought, developers can see better than before where players stop playing based on achievements so this kind of response may eventually lead to better design choices. Maybe...

Roberts

Don't tell me you didn't cry when Frodo went on the ship?

I always defended the seemingly never-ending last hour of ROTK, because it all felt earned, but U4 outstays its welcome. And I think it is because of wonky pacing the game settles on from very beginning. It should have been 3 or 4 hours shorter.

I punched Zeus in the face for like 10 minutes at the end of God of War 3 and I thought that was kinda excessive
I remember I was high as fuck when I was finishing GoW3 and punching him for a loooong time (well could've been second or hours at this high) until I realized i just needed to stop punching....i was literally in a spartan rage only focused on punching his face lol

koloss85

Neo Member
Alien isolation comes to mind. It would be nice if it was like half as long. Still never beat it even tho I love the ip

Arthimura

Tbh I enjoyed the entire time playing Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2. It's more a matter of wanting to play other games than not enjoying the current one.

The only game that I can clearly remember that I felt that way was Death Stranding. The middle of the game has absurd long chapters and there's so little story in them, that was hard for me to finish it. Took me months to get to the end.

Last edited:
I know there are plenty of games that pad the experience, but here's a thought.

There's nothing worse than a gamer that just doesn't know when to stop.

Just turn it off when you aren't having fun. Life is too short and there are too many options, don't force yourself to continue. Recognize the unhealthy behavior and accept that it's okay to move on. So many games prey on gamers by using emotionally manipulative mechanics. Look at any of the cookie clicker style games for blatant examples of what I'm talking about.

You can still enjoy the good without forcing yourself to suffer. One of the great things about gaming today is there are plenty of other people who will post up full play-throughs so you don't even have to get hung up on seeing the story end.

One comforting thought, developers can see better than before where players stop playing based on achievements so this kind of response may eventually lead to better design choices. Maybe...

This is a dumb take. Lots of people in here are saying they didn't bother completing games because they decided to stop?

People want to complete the narrative of games. It sucks when the pacing is poor. I think saying "watch the final cutscene on youtube" is weak.

kingpotato

This is a dumb take. Lots of people in here are saying they didn't bother completing games because they decided to stop?

People want to complete the narrative of games. It sucks when the pacing is poor. I think saying "watch the final cutscene on youtube" is weak.
Valuing your own time is a dumb take?

Better to walk out of a theater if the movie ends up being shit rather than wasting time. Same is true for games. People get so hung up in a sunken cost fallacy. I only put the YouTube suggestion up for people who really want to see where a story goes. That's a suggestion for a way to "complete the narrative" of a game.

I think playing a game you aren't enjoying is a form of mental/emotional weakness.

MiguelItUp

Honestly, if I'm enjoying a game SO much, I don't think I've ever really felt that way. To a certain degree, the pace of a game can be subjective.

For example, with Ghost of Tsushima, I enjoyed the game SO much that I was going across the ENTIRE map trying to complete everything. So, yeah, as a result by the end of the game I was slowly beginning to feel exhausted. But I knew that was on me.

The same could be said with Red Dead Redemption 1/2, though I feel like 2's pacing was a bit worse. But the pacing could be even worse if you left the mainline campaign to do side stuff. There was just SO much to do. I almost dropped 2 as a result of the pacing, but after pushing through a little bit, it quickly picked back up IMO.

Alien Isolation never felt exhausting to me either because I adore Aliens so much, and it was SO nice to get a solid and immersive Alien game for once. I was surprised it went as long as it did, but I didn't feel like it overstayed its welcome.

So, I don't know. I guess I don't really get that feeling that much. I think the last game that made me feel that way at all, at least off and on, was Dark Souls 2. I know some people really love it, and there's nothing wrong with that. But for me, that entire experience just felt watered down and felt like it could've been so much better across the board. By the end of it, it felt like I chore that I just wanted to end.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Grandia. I think there's a really great story in this game, it just takes waaaay to long to get anywhere. I think it would have worked much better as a 25-30 hour RPG than a 40-50 hour one.

In fact I think most JRPGs can benefit from cutting out a lot of the needless bloat.
Totally agree. I'm all about the pacing and 'moments'.

Boss Mog

While I agree with the OPs sentiment that it sucks when games drag on for too long, I COMPLETELY disagree about Tales of Arise. While the first part of the game is full of exploration and new lands and sets up the many mysteries of the story, the second part of the game is the denouement where all is revealed and the true antagonists must be fought. This break is intentional which is why the devs created a second into for the game when you reach the second part. I found the real-time cut-scenes in Tales of Arise to be quite good with great fight animations the likes of which had never been seen before in older Tales games cut-scenes. The English voice cast was quite good too. Vholran was a pretty good antagonist even though he reminded me a lot of Sephiroth in many ways. I always enjoyed the cut-scenes where he featured.

I think the issue that made the game feel like it dragged on is the fact that the game severely lacked in enemy variety during the battles. Aside for bosses you're pretty much fighting the same dozen or so enemy types throughout the game; they just recolored them. My guess is the dev team just didn't have enough time to create enough enemy types with covid probably hindering development. And since you spend a lot of time fighting it does get a bit repetitive fighting the same enemies over and over. Also the fact that you couldn't assign that many techniques at once to your character despite having a bunch of them at your disposal was frustrating and didn't help the lack of variety during combat.

The game that I felt dragged on for far too long was The Last of Us Part II. The basis of the story, namely revenge, was solid but very poorly executed overall with entire sections feeling completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Thankfully technically the game is a masterclass and the gameplay solid enough to keep you going but the game is still about 10 hours too long.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Tales of Arise.

When the game turns into a visual novel for the last 5-10 hours and goes mega weird.

Up till that point I absolutely loved the game, had to force myself through the end bit though.

Inanilmaz

I loved okami but probably only played half of campaign, cant remember anymore. Same with persona 4.

Last edited:

speckz

Halo: Combat Evolved. The single-player campaign, towards the end, with the flood or whatever. That was so repetitive, and I think that part should have been shorter and not so repetitive.

Interfectum

Ghost of Tsushima's biggest problem is the amount of busy work in the open world that doesn't progress from hour 1 to hour 50. Literally the same shit over and over again.

I platinumed and loved the game but holy shit at the amount of bloat added.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You're having a blast playing a game and it's seemingly coming to a conclusion. You're ready for that final dungeon, another 1 hour at most and you'll be rewarded with the conclusion of the amazing time you spent with the game... and then the game just goes on for another 10 hours just to fill an arbitrary playtime metric or something. Yes, I'm looking at you Tales of Arise.

I was enjoying that game a lot. The exploration aspect was spot-on to my tastes, the discovery of new realms was always interesting (not to mention stunningly beautiful) and there was always something fun to do in each one... And then the game just decides to drop you into the most drab and uninteresting environments and to dump you with lore in VERY LONG cutscenes that are placed almost back-to-back with 15 seconds of walking in-between. What was supposed to be the final stretch is instead spread so thin that nothing feels meaningful anymore and you just want it to end... Only it doesn't. What was an otherwise amazing experience became something I wanted to finish and never touch again.

Any other examples of games like this?
Final Fantasy VII is one of those for sure. First time I played Tales of the Abyss I felt that I was stuck in a holding pattern. The first time I played the dotHack games (namely Infection) years ago...I knew nothing about the keywords and sorta kept myself around longer than I needed to.

Fredrik

Better to walk out of a theater if the movie ends up being shit rather than wasting time. Same is true for games. People get so hung up in a sunken cost fallacy. I only put the YouTube suggestion up for people who really want to see where a story goes. That's a suggestion for a way to "complete the narrative" of a game.

I think playing a game you aren't enjoying is a form of mental/emotional weakness.
Fair take. And I kinda agree, in a way. I’ve skipped a few games and watched on youtube when I wanted to see the story but not play the game. Death Stranding for example and AC Valhalla after a save bug put me back 20 hours or so.

But when I get close to the end I get cranky and force myself through the rest. Like RDR2, it could’ve ended with Arthur as far as I’m concerned, the things after was just a chore except for the final scene, but I kept playing just because I wanted to cross the finish line after so many hours.

Last edited:
I recently replayed this and only focused on the critical path (previously platinumed it) and I thought it was all killer no filter. Which part did you feel it started
For me it was when you go to that foggy world. Maybe it was the underworld or something. I mean gameplay wise it was still good, but I guess I just wanted to see the finale. Also I was a bit put off by the last boss. I expected more

kingpotato

For me it was when you go to that foggy world. Maybe it was the underworld or something. I mean gameplay wise it was still good, but I guess I just wanted to see the finale. Also I was a bit put off by the last boss. I expected more
You know, now that I reflect on it, I was a bit generous. I did not care for the sequence in Helheim with the ship. The concept was certainly cool, but it's one of the only spots that wasn't stellar for me. I think it's the gameplay of just running back and forth to clear spawning enemies.

You know, now that I reflect on it, I was a bit generous. I did not care for the sequence in Helheim with the ship. The concept was certainly cool, but it's one of the only spots that wasn't stellar for me. I think it's the gameplay of just running back and forth to clear spawning enemies.
Yes that's my exact point. I hate backtracking.. which is ironic bc I love dark souls, but that seems more purposeful.. and also GoW got me to try dark souls, so don't get me wrong.. I love GOW

Kokoloko85

TLOu2 is a good example of this. That game had more fake endings than The Return of the King.

I loved the TLOU2 being like 20 hours long. Im glad they done the California part. If it stopped at the theatre ( which I thought it did ) I was saying this sucks

Kokoloko85

People complaining about a game lasting 20 hours have not played JRPG’s.

Games like Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 4 and other snes/ ps1/ps2 JRPG’s are examples of over staying there welcome. Not RE7 or Gears lol

Even GOW 2018 was cut short to me, if was my only complaint, it just suddenly ended. Not enough boss fights either

Sorry you aren’t understanding.

I drop tonnes of games because they have bad pacing. The point I’m saying is that’s a shit solution. The solution is so many games need to remove their bloat.

Too many retards who cream over hours to complete has resulted in most games being way too fucking long and full of shit.

I also agree ‘completionists’ are fucking clowns. I have friends who stress over trophies they have to get like it’s torture. Shits autistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: CZY
Top Bottom