• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There Is Such A Thing As Too Much Sephiroth

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
See gameplay videos

it's only been demo material from the Nibelheim flashback, yeah? In which case, Sephiroth's presence is in line with OG. Sure, they've definitely expanded that segment, stretching into excess may be one of Remake's overall project problems, but again, I think you're overthinking it a little.

If your complaint is that he's shown off in promotional material too much, I'd again say it's the same part of the same portion of the original. If your complaint is that they're focusing TOO MUCH on the Nibelheim flashback prerelease, I'd also counter that it's just because it's the first area in the game. It's a safe spot to showcase gameplay mechanics without spoiling any substantial story beats while advertising their product.

Tangentially related, I was initially fearful of the progress/quality of Remake before it launched because they had what I thought was an unhealthy obsession showcasing Mako Reactor 1 in their marketing. The idea that they showed it off, had a bunch of internal development hell ending with Sony itself interjecting, I was afraid that it was an ill omen. Turns out, it was just the first area of the game.

I'm not berating you, though. I'm just throwing out things to mull over.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
ecd243e844a360c25d1165fcc0ecd884.jpg

Katajx

No there isn’t. The villain should be around and give me reasons for pursuing or fighting him. Not introduced at some point and not seen until several hours later. I want to know what he is up to.

I don’t want it used like a movie monster or something where they tease it and then wait until the very end.

KiteGr

He was cool while he was being mysterious and we rarely saw him.
Now he appears in every instalment, stopping short of doing a small song & dance routine.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think all of this is largely a result of Final Fantasy VII being itself the mascot of Final Fantasy as a whole. Quickest way for most normies to recognize the IP is with Cloud or Sephiroth.

As for the topic at hand, the whole Second Act of OG FF7 is all about Sephiroth, which Rebirth is mostly of. So depending on how close to the original story they stay he should be in a lot of it.

Top Bottom