• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no doubt pc's are much more powerful than consoles. Why do Consoles always have the best looking games?

Stuart360

Breakdown the Xbox/PlayStation console landscape as well then.

PS4 110k
PS5 8k
XB1 55k
XS X|S 6k
Total: 179k

Guessing on the Xbox numbers but being off a couple of thousand doesn't really make a difference. So PS5 has about 4.4% of the market. XS X|S has 3.3%. Combine the GPUs on Steam that are comparable or superior to those (2080, 2080S, 2080Ti, 3060, 3070, 3080) and that is about 4.5% of the PCs in the survey.

You keep adding up all the GPUs on that list that are superior than last gen consoles and you've got the majority of Steam.
Add in 2080 and 2080ti too.
People dont realize that Steam stats get skewed as its stats from everyone who signed onto Steam that month, so grandads playing poker on their 20 year old laptop, soccer moms playing Hearthstone, etc.
I mean Nvidia said they sold 10mil (or something like that) of their 20 series cards, yet they make up like 2 or 3 percent on the charts.

Fact is the 3060 and possibly the 3070 would of already taken over the 1060, if you could actually buy them. And a couple of years from now, assuming this tech shortages end at some point, Steam stats will look a whole lot different.

Last edited:

Stuart360

100% this.

Blows my mind that people try to act as if you just go and buy a PC and everyone has the same experience or something, or that it just works lol.
Well how do you want people to word it when it comes to PC going forward?, with an asterix?, or do users have to list their PC everytime its talked about?.
Its common sense not everyone has a high end PC, just like not every console gamer has a XSX or PS5.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
100% this.

Blows my mind that people try to act as if you just go and buy a PC and everyone has the same experience or something, or that it just works lol.
This is why I always wince when I see some idiot bleating online about how 'this game is better on PC'.

What they actually mean is that it MIGHT be better on PC. If you have the right hardware, the right GPU... it isn't a fixed spec, and there are no guarantees that you're going to have the same experience as someone else's PC. There are a zillion variables in play.

Stuart360

This is why I always wince when I see some idiot bleating online about how 'this game is better on PC'.

What they actually mean is that it MIGHT be better on PC. If you have the right hardware
, the right GPU... it isn't a fixed spec, and there are no guarantees that you're going to have the same experience as someone else's PC. There are a zillion variables in play.
Of course thats what it means, you shouldnt have to be told.
Do we have to add 'if you have the hardware of course' whenever anyone talks about PC going forward?.

Optimus Lime

Of course thats what it means, you shouldnt have to be told.
Do we have to add 'if you have the hardware of course' whenever anyone talks about PC going forward?.
I already told you - you're annoying and stupid. Stop talking to me please.

Topher

Gold Member
Ass in 2080 and 2080ti too.
People dont realize that Steam stats get skewed as its stats from everyone who signed onto Steam that month, so grandads playing poker on their 20 year old laptop, soccer moms playing Hearthstone, etc.
I mean Nvidia said they sold 10mil (or something like that) of their 20 series cards, yet they make up like 2 or 3 percent on the charts.

Fact is the 3060 and possibly the 3070 would of already taken over the 1060, if you could actually buy them. And a couple of years from now, assuming this tech shortages end at some poibnt, Steam stats will look a whole lot different.

That's true. Of course, the same is so for consoles right now. PS5 and XS S|X would also be higher if they were more readily available. Everything is getting crunched right now with the chip shortage. Either way, I think you are right about the hardware numbers. They get polluted with some really low-end stuff. And there are still people in the world who still game on consoles older than PS4 and XB1. Works both ways.

Optimus Lime

Oh fuck you, you tried to look smart and looked a fool. Accept it.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Your incoherent, poorly punctuated and spelled, largely off topic rants are annoying to read - let alone argue with. I just can't be bothered with some pea brained internet random. I'm sorry, I get that you really want my attention, but I'm not interested.

Stuart360

That's true. Of course, the same is so for consoles right now. PS5 and XS S|X would also be higher if they were more readily available. Everything is getting crunched right now with the chip shortage. Either way, I think you are right about the hardware numbers. They get polluted with some really low-end stuff. And there are still people in the world who still game on consoles older than PS4 and XB1. Works both ways.
Yeah of couse. Its a stupid topic really. It just gets annoying when console gamers pull out Steam stats without knowing what they are looking at (probably best demonstrated by the 'look most PC gamers still play at 1080p lolz' comments without understanding why. High refresh monitors).

bender

What time is it?
ECVyedaXsAAq-Bq.jpg

Stuart360

I have no idea what you're talking about. Your incoherent, poorly punctuated and spelled, largely off topic rants are annoying to read - let alone argue with. I just can't be bothered with some pea brained internet random. I'm sorry, I get that you really want my attention, but I'm not interested.
I think you wanted the attention, judging from your replies, you got no reactions for them though did you, too bad. Also i have dyslexia so good on the 20yo puncturation comeback. You're on my ignore list now so you will be happy. Only my third ever. Dont bother replying.

Optimus Lime

I think you wanted the attention, judging from your replies, you got no reactions for them though did you, too bad. Also i have dyslexia so good on the 20yo puncturation comeback. You're on my ignore list now so you will be happy. Only my third ever. Dont bother replying.
Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Stuart360

RDR2 on low /mid settings on PC still looks decent. But maxed to the tits and it's something else.
Yeah its another level maxed. People say about how many different pc's there are and yeah thats what the settings are for, thats what the 'minimum and reccomended' settings' are for. If you dont have the hardware, you cant play the games.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah of couse. Its a stupid topic really. It just gets annoying when console gamers pull out Steam stats without knowing what they are looking at (probably best demonstrated by the 'look most PC gamers still play at 1080p lolz' comments without understanding why. High refresh monitors).

What's funny about screen rez is that if you look at those numbers, 68% of PC gamers play on 1080p. Around 8% are at 1440p. And about 2% are 4k. Contrast that with console. PS4 and Xbox One are 92% of the Xbox/PlayStation console market. Let's be extremely generous and say 25% of that is PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. That means at least 68% of consoles are also playing at 1080p or lower. So yeah.....to your point....there is a lot of information in that Steam survey. Highlighting one or two lines isn't wise.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What people think the worlds in Star Citizen look like:

2880px-OrionArmitage.jpg

What Star Citizen actually looks like:

screenshot2021-07-12azmjtn.png

What people think the Character Models look like in Star Citizen:

Star-Citizen.jpg

What character models actually look like in Star Citizen:

Squadron-42-Star-Citizen-Screenshot-2019.04.18-23.17.32.95.jpg

I don't know why people keep running with the idea that Star Citizen is a good looking game without actually looking at it.

You just picked some random old concept art, comparing it with a WIP picture. Then the character model from Squadron 42, with a random model (NPC) from Star Citizen. Yes nice comparison….lol

You really don’t know what your talking about.

Last edited:

Stuart360

What's funny about screen rez is that if you look at those numbers, 68% of PC gamers play on 1080p. Around 8% are at 1440p. And about 2% are 4k. Contrast that with console. PS4 and Xbox One are 92% of the Xbox/PlayStation console market. Let's be extremely generous and say 25% of that is PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. That means at least 68% of consoles are also playing at 1080p or lower. So yeah.....to your point....there is a lot of information in that Steam survey. Highlighting one or two lines isn't wise.
I mean i only play at 1080 too for newer games as i prefer 60fps and better setting over resolution.
When i finally get my 3080, i'll knock that resolution up too though!.
PC gamers, in general not all obviously, tend to prefer framerate over resoltuiion. Console gamers tend to be the other way round up until this generation, although there are still some on here saying they would pick 4k and 30fps over 60fps.

EDMIX

Funny enough this is one of the downsides the modular Hardware.

PC theoretically is going to be much more powerful that does not fucking mean the majority of people who own gaming PCs own powerful Hardware to justify exclusive AAA content that requires specific Hardware to take advantage of.

So the idea that someone "can" have a more powerful PC is completely irrelevant when it comes to just business I mean I want you guys to carefully think about this, if the majority of people only want to use minimum specs to play fortnite what reason would Electronic Arts or Activision or Ubisoft have to make an exclusive title for PC that uses the best top-of-the-line graphics cards as lead specs?

They're not going to do anything like that because it's kind of pointless I would argue the existence of Star Citizen being crowdfunded goes to show you such a thing is not going to be punched with a ten-foot pole by any big major publisher.

The reason why home consoles have some of the best looking games is because they could fucking guarantee 100% of their install base own a specific piece of Hardware to take advantage of every single last component, but the same thing could technically happen to PC if some manufacturer made a very specific PC in argued that developers would only support that exact specification and nothing less. The option to use weaker Hardware is a slippery slope and what ends up happening is a bunch of casual people who are playing stuff like fortnite or Counter-Strike or any type of game that doesn't require fancy Hardware make up the vast majority of that market which means it's extremely difficult for any publisher to justify making some beefy game that requires very specific Hardware if the majority of that install base don't even own that hardware for them to even get the sales from in the first place.

Such a thing exists on consoles which is why you even see the best-looking content created on such Hardware is because they could guarantee every fucking person who owns the system clearly will own the exact same Hardware.

Think about it like this, some phones exist right now that are more powerful then the PS4 and XONE..... do those phones, as in those exact models move 100 million units and all ALL USERS play games to justify said development? It would be like telling someone a fucking NASA computer is better and then expect the next Call Of Duty to release on that NASA computer using all of its tech or something lol This has nothing to do with what is more powerful, this has to do with how much people own that exact powerful thing and intend to "legally" buy games to justify its development.

bitbydeath

You just picked some random old concept art, comparing it with a WIP picture. Then the character model from Squadron 42, with a random model (NPC) from Star Citizen. Yes nice comparison….lol

You really don’t know what your talking about.
It’s the best it currently offers and people think it’s a great looking game. It isn’t.

Stuart360

Funny enough this is one of the downsides the modular Hardware.

PC theoretically is going to be much more powerful that does not fucking mean the majority of people who own gaming PCs own powerful Hardware to justify exclusive AAA content that requires specific Hardware to take advantage of.

So the idea that someone "can" have a more powerful PC is completely irrelevant when it comes to just business I mean I want you guys to carefully think about this, if the majority of people only want to use minimum specs to play fortnite what reason would Electronic Arts or Activision or Ubisoft have to make an exclusive title for PC that uses the best top-of-the-line graphics cards as lead specs?

They're not going to do anything like that because it's kind of pointless I would argue the existence of Star Citizen being crowdfunded goes to show you such a thing is not going to be punched with a ten-foot pole by any big major publisher.

The reason why home consoles have some of the best looking games is because they could fucking guarantee 100% of their install base own a specific piece of Hardware to take advantage of every single last component, but the same thing could technically happen to PC if some manufacturer made a very specific PC in argued that developers would only support that exact specification and nothing less. The option to use weaker Hardware is a slippery slope and what ends up happening is a bunch of casual people who are playing stuff like fortnite or Counter-Strike or any type of game that doesn't require fancy Hardware make up the vast majority of that market which means it's extremely difficult for any publisher to justify making some beefy game that requires very specific Hardware if the majority of that install base don't even own that hardware for them to even get the sales from in the first place.

Such a thing exists on consoles which is why you even see the best-looking content created on such Hardware is because they could guarantee every fucking person who owns the system clearly will own the exact same Hardware.

Think about it like this, some phones exist right now that are more powerful then the PS4 and XONE..... do those phones, as in those exact models move 100 million units and all ALL USERS play games to justify said development? It would be like telling someone a fucking NASA computer is better and then expect the next Call Of Duty to release on that NASA computer using all of its tech or something lol This has nothing to do with what is more powerful, this has to do with how much people own that exact powerful thing and intend to "legally" buy games to justify its development.
Its just the same on console though. Outside of first party releases, all other releases release on both consoles and PC.
PC doesnt have a 'first party' unlike on the consoles. PC still gets every multiplatform game though, every Xbox game, sony games too now, and more AA and Indies than anywhere else.

I'm sure if we lived in a different reality where AAA games didnt cost tens of millions to make, PC would still be getting the Quakes, and Crysis etc. We dont though.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It’s the best it currently offers and people think it’s a great looking game. It isn’t.
The game is a mixed bag, as its probably like 20% done if that. Parts of the game look amazing, parts of the game dont and are placeholder. I watch a SC streamer a few times a week, and yeah never seen it look as bad as those screens. It IS amixed bag currently though.

rofif

Banned
Yeah its another level maxed. People say about how many different pc's there are and yeah thats what the settings are for, thats what the 'minimum and reccomended' settings' are for. If you dont have the hardware, you cant play the games.
It's not on ANOTHER LEVEL cmon.
It's exactly the same looking game. If I ran ps4 slim and 3080 rdr2, most people would not notice. For sure not without getting closer to the screen.
Sure, the pc version will have sharper textures, 4k and 100fps but it's not another level. It's just running the same assets better.
edit:Of course I can do Death Stranding 4k120 dlss, better detail on 3080. I do and it looks great... but my first playthrough was on ps4 slim and I was still amazed. The game looks better on pc but it's also the same

Last edited:

Stuart360

It's not on ANOTHER LEVEL cmon.
It's exactly the same looking game. If I ran ps4 slim and 3080 rdr2, most people would not notice. For sure not without getting closer to the screen.
Sure, the pc version will have sharper textures, 4k and 100fps but it's not another level. It's just running the same assets better.
RDR2 maxed is the best looking game i have played yet. Also the 'another level' bit was in reply to the guy saying the game still looks good on low/medium.

rofif

Banned
RDR2 maxed is the best looking game i have played yet. Also the 'another level' bit was in reply to the guy saying the game still looks good on low/medium.
It's not that great looking imo.
I think Death Stranding looks better.
I think UC4 looks better, tlou2 too

Stuart360

It's not that great looking imo.
I think Death Stranding looks better.
I think UC4 looks better, tlou2 too
Have you played the PC version maxed though?. This is what i mean about console gamers judging games on the console versions (i dont mean you, i mean in general). Looking at Youtube vids, or screen grabs isnt the same as looking at a game in the flesh, so to speak lol.
Also nothing wrong with your opinion at all, its not like there are huge levels between those games. I have said a few times that TLOU2 on PS5 is the best looking console game yet (depending on how good Flight Sim on XSX looks compared to PC).

Last edited:

EDMIX

We dont though.

I mean, thats kind of the point of what I'm saying. We don't get those types of games on PC only, because the hardware simply doesn't have enough of an install base to actually justify such development anymore. Those days are long gone and the majority for better or worse simply play casual stuff like Fortnite. I agree that the lack of a first party is part of it, but most of the install base having weak hardware really is the biggest reason for this.

Look at the situation with the Switch or Wii or Wii U etc. You'll see entire series avoid that platform, not because it has a first party or not, but because the hardware can't support certain titles, the same can be stated based on the PC situation to a degree. An amount simply doesn't own enough of the hardware for the publisher to ever see are reason to do more then console ports.

Console is their bread and butter and PC is optional for those developers to exist, for fuck sakes, certain Japanese developers spent years avoiding PC and doing just fine. So I personally miss those days of stuff like Quake on PC or really any PC titles that came out that really took advantage of the best hardware and pushed the limits of what could be done, now days PC is pretty much just a port factory and those days are done.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Lol you didn't even tried your best. I bet you didn't even noticed that the second screen is a youtube screen grab and WIP picture (that has nothing to do with the first concept art picture). Don't try coming with fud about SC if you don't know how the game looks. You can not compare hero shots from Squadron 42 with lower poly models from SC. Then again, characters still look way better then the one in your shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captain_raoul/ - This is SC.

Stuart360

I mean, thats kind of the point of what I'm saying. We don't get those types of games on PC only, because the hardware simply doesn't have enough of an install base to actually justify such development anymore. Those days are long gone and the majority for better or worse simply play casual stuff like Fortnite. I agree that the lack of a first party is part of it, but most of the install base having weak hardware really is the biggest reason for this.

Look at the situation with the Switch or Wii or Wii U etc. You'll see entire series avoid that platform, not because it has a first party or not, but because the hardware can't support certain titles, the same can be stated based on the PC situation to a degree. An amount simply doesn't own enough of the hardware for the publisher to ever see are reason to do more then console ports.

Console is their bread and butter and PC is optional for those developers to exist, for fuck sakes, certain Japanese developers spent years avoiding PC and doing just fine. So I personally miss those days of stuff like Quake on PC or really any PC titles that came out that really took advantage of the best hardware and pushed the limits of what could be done, now days PC is pretty much just a port factory and those days are done.
Its got nothing to do with that. Up until 7 months ago, even patato PC's were more powerful than XB1/PS4. And the 'most used card' in the 1060 was slightly more powerful than 'the most powerful console ever' in the OneX.
There are loads of games that release on PC now that patato PC's cant run, even some Indies.
Sure we are right at the start of the new generation so the new consoles are right up there, but give it another couiple of years and it will be very different. Another couple of years after that and they will be low end at best. Just like with every gen.

Thats what the settings are for. You can make some games almost look a different game by reducing settings on a PC game. That caters for the low end.

Its all money at the end of the day, and a situation where we dont have a Microsoft or Sony in charge of PC. Like i said earlier, what none first party studios release games soley on console?, they dont, they release on PC too. Its the exact same situation.
Scorn was a PC only game until Microsoft gave them funds to help with the game, and it was designed to show what a game made soley for PC could look like when not held back by XB1/PS4.

And thats 4 year old footage. It will certainly be one of the best 'next gen' games yet graphics wise when it releases.

packy34

Why wouldn't it? There's an interesting conversation to be had regarding why Sony systems have games with the graphics that they do, while the PC has basically no AAA dedicated development anymore.

PC versions of third party games blow other versions away? Sometimes. Sometimes they don't. I deeply regret buying RE: Village on PC. The PCMR take that all PCs run all games all better all the time is horseshit, and really comes out of newer PC gamers looking for ePenis to wave.
The conversation isn't that interesting or deep - there's no dedicated exclusive AAA PC dev because PC is an open platform and does not have a first party that needs big exclusives to draw in users. It's that simple. If Valve wanted to be that dev, they could be, but they don't need to be. People come to PC for other reasons - customization, freedom, lack of generations, etc.

I'm not interested in debating cherry-picked accounts of occasional bad ports - especially new ones that haven't had many patches/fixes. Over time, RE8 will be best experienced on PC simply because it will freely scale with hardware and not stay locked to fixed settings, like all console games inevitably do.

bitbydeath

Lol you didn't even tried your best. I bet you didn't even noticed that the second screen is a youtube screen grab and WIP picture (that has nothing to do with the first concept art picture). Don't try coming with fud about SC if you don't know how the game looks. You can not compare hero shots from Squadron 42 with lower poly models from SC. Then again, characters still look way better then the one in your shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/captain_raoul/ - This is SC.

You’re overdoing it. The Killzone Shadowfall city on PS4 looked better than the city in that video and the character detail was just plain awful.

I was comparing the Squadron shot because that’s what I think people think of the game when it is nowhere near it.

leizzra

One of the consoles weaknesses is also it's strenght - limitations. When you are working with constrains (like hardware power) you need to be smart, especially throught many years of consoles generation. It goes for technical aspects like how to optimise features. What tricks can I use to make something work or at leat look as if it was working as expected. Second thing that is really important (and Sony's 1st party studios are great in that for generations) is art direction. Through proper esthetics and visual tricks you can have beautiful game that looks better then more graphicaly advanced titles. Thats why one of PCMR claims - that consoles are draging their hardwares - is in many ways fals. I belive thanks to consoles PC games have better base especially on mid specs. What publishers do with PC ports is something different.

When devs don't have clear limits they tend to look for easy solutions. One of bad practices in my opinion (which are in companies like CDP RED but not only them) is that dev's are pouring assets to engine that are too heavy for hardware but they don't worry about that. They are thinking that by the time that game will ship there will be new hardware to handle it. Especially for highest settings. Yet usually they have to optimise stuff still. With consoles you still can go above their capabilities but you need to be more aware of what you are doing.

A good example is Witcher 3. The first trailer versus what we got is basically because the consoles couldn’t run that version of the game so they kind downgraded it and it affected the PC version.

Very wrong. It's the thing that I wrote above - first trailer was made when they didn't had proper restrains. It was supersampled like 256 times (I don't remember exactly the number now) just to have the highest quality. It was rendered something like 1fps and then speeded up. It wasn't optimised for PC and consoles back then. It was more like concept video really. Cyberpunk shows you what means when CDPR doesn't take into account consoles and common sens.

Stuart360

Cyberpunk is actually a good example as its a game that was obviously made for PC, and ported to consoles, and yeah we know the rest lol.

The conversation isn't that interesting or deep - there's no dedicated exclusive AAA PC dev because PC is an open platform and does not have a first party that needs big exclusives to draw in users. It's that simple.
It's not that simple. PC has always been an open platform, but for most of its history there were plenty of PC exclusive AAA developers. The main reason why this is no longer the case is that developing an AAA game in 2021 is much more expensive than it was in the 90s and early 2000s, to the point where devs and publishers simply couldn't make their money back if they only sold to people with high-end PCs.

Stuart360

It's not that simple. PC has always been an open platform, but for most of its history there were plenty of PC exclusive AAA developers. The main reason why this is no longer the case is that developing an AAA game in 2021 is much more expensive than it was in the 90s and early 2000s, to the point where devs and publishers simply couldn't make their money back if they only sold to people with high-end PCs.
All true, but they also dont make games soley for console either, outside of first party.. This is not a PC only thing, and in terms of AA and Indie games, there are tons of them that dont release on console, its not the same the other way around.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
PCs are more powerful than consoles, sure. But how many ?
A look at the Steam hardware stats can be very interesting.

This is your average PC :
jxNtB17.jpg

Nothing really mind-blowing actually.

How about RTX 3080 ?
6ZBE7d1.jpg

Yeah.

Hardware enthusiasts do exist and we might be biased into thinking that they are the majority, but reality shows otherwise.
Thus devs have to take the safest road in most cases, and a very conservative approach regarding the hardware that will be relevant by the time their games release : they can only speculate about what the PC specs will look like in 1 or 2 years - but they for sure know what the console specs will be.
And this probably sweats through the entire development of the game.

Source :
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Okay.

Now try that again without cherry picking just one single card.

Fredrik

What they actually mean is that it MIGHT be better on PC. If you have the right hardware, the right GPU... it isn't a fixed spec, and there are no guarantees that you're going to have the same experience as someone else's PC. There are a zillion variables in play.
With that thinking you can’t really say games look better on consoles either since some might play on a Switch.

We’re all enthusiast gamers here, we all spend way too much money on this hobby, those who’re still sitting with a 780 ain’t the ones saying that new games look better on their PC than on XSX.

I don’t hate consoles, generally speaking I love having a silent living room gaming box, easier to play with the kids and slouching in a couch is nice. Currently I don’t get that through my PC without in-house streaming.
But I hate that devs apparently think I’m too stupid to use settings and they’re constantly wasting system resources on the wrong things.

The biggest upside with PC gaming is really that you don’t have to stupidity waste system resources for no logic reason on 4K resolution or RT or whatever even when your hardware obviously isn’t powerful enough. Unless you want to.

Just by keep playing at 1080p you can easily beat the new consoles in both framerate and graphics with a few year old rigs. Before I upgraded my GPU I could already play RE8 at 144fps, maxed out but without RT, way higher graphical settings than on console, on a 4yo 1080ti. Older games like HZD was maxed out at higher than console settings at 80+ fps. And Forza Horizon 3 wasn’t locked down to paltry 30fps, I could play it at 60+ fps maxed out or with some tweaks on three screens. Cyberpunk 2077, ignoring RT and psychic settings, 50-80fps on ultra, 4yo graphics card.

And as said before, MS 1st party will very likely produce some nice high budget AAA games for XSX in the future.
And every single one of them will look and run even better on PC.

Add more Playstation ports as well and OPs take suddenly look a little short sighted.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You’re overdoing it. The Killzone Shadowfall city on PS4 looked better than the city in that video and the character detail was just plain awful.

I was comparing the Squadron shot because that’s what I think people think of the game when it is nowhere near it.

A city in a Gas giant vs 1 building you can enter in Killzone and the rest is hand crafted. The background building on the ground didn't look any good in Shadowfall. Star Citizen has more cities then just this one (since this city Orison is new).

So this is awful? Taken from even an older build from 2019:

48183043706_9a4d97a8d0_o.png

Because Squadron 42 looks like that, and nothing else. Squadron 42 is a singleplayer game and not MMO This was back in 2017:

Things have changed over the years:

Last edited:

packy34

This line of thinking immediately breaks down when you consider what the PC as a platform is - scalable. Why would a PC-exclusive dev working on AAA games only target high-end users? They would more smartly target the mid to low-end and provide scaling options for high-end users. Because consoles are essentially mid to low-end PCs by year 2 of being on the market, it makes more sense to target dev there and port - which is exactly the reality we have been living in for almost 2 decades now.

bitbydeath

A city in a Gas giant vs 1 building you can enter in Killzone and the rest is hand crafted. The background building on the ground didn't look any good in Shadowfall. Star Citizen has more cities then just this one (since this city Orison is new).

So this is awful? Taken from even an older build from 2019:

48183043706_9a4d97a8d0_o.png

I thought we were comparing graphics? It’s not that impressive if graphically it doesn’t stand up to a title from 2013.

Because Squadron 42 looks like that, and nothing else. Squadron 42 is a singleplayer game and not MMO This was back in 2017:

Things have changed over the years:

Those videos are no indication of the screenshot I posted, the character models in the 1hr vid aren’t even half as good looking.

This is exactly what I mean, people think it’s a great looking game when it’s just not, and as each day passes will only continue to look worse against the newer titles.

ZywyPL

Banned
Do they tho? Are we talking about the technical side or the art direction? Because from technical standpoint, just the texture quality alone is lacking compared to PC, and textures are where most of the details is. But as already mentioned multiple times, games are build with consoles in mind first and foremost, so what you get on PC is pretty much the same thing, and all the additional power goes not into graphics but extra performance instead (FPS and resolution). Unless Nvidia is involved in a game's development, then you can count on some extra graphical features not available on the consoles, like HFTS in The Division, HairWorks stuff in The Witcher 3 and so on.

Darius87

multiple reasons many have been mentioned:
  1. Closed system better then open system for game development.
  2. Developing for console is easier then developing for PC(time to triangle).
  3. Consoles where $$$ are.
  4. Better optimization for console then PC.
  5. Consoles are closer to metal then PC are, so better performance for 1: 1 spec.
  6. No first party devs on PC.
  7. Console manufacturer support($$$) for exclussives games.
  8. Technology sharing between first party.
  9. Tflops doesn't mean that much today.
  10. Console devs often are more talented then PC devs.
  11. Consoles have specialized hw where PC doesn't.
  12. Consoles made for gaming, PC isn't.

SkylineRKR

They are coded to the metal.

Its like iOS usually performing better than Android despite the specs being weaker on paper. But on PC you can brute force better graphics with the right hardware thats usually more expensive than a console.

The Pro has an ancient Jaguar CPU, but I doubt you're going to see TLOU2 or GoW graphics on a similar specced PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom