• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are a lot of remakes being made - Is this a positive or negative for the industry?

Is the growing tendency towards remakes a positive or negative to you?

• Positive

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 92 43.2%
  • Neutral or no opinion

Votes: 50 23.5%

• Total voters

kicker

Banned
In the past 3 years alone, we've had remakes/remasters of:
Diablo 2 Remaster
Resident Evil 2/3/4
The Last of Us I
Dead Space
Final Fantasy VII
COD Modern warfare I&II
GTA Trilogy
Homeworld
Gothic
Halo MCC
Crash Bandicoot
Command And Conquer
Pharaoh
System Shock
Metroid
Tony Hawk pro Skater
Nier

Rumored or announced:
Metal gear
Max Payne
Bloodborne
Splinter Cell
Silent Hill
Prince of Persia
Spyro

I'm not against remakes, I'll admit I'm looking forward to the max payne and mgs remakes, but it is a worrying vision of the state of the industry.

The risk in developing new games is always higher than remaking an already popular game (Dead space remake vs Callisto, Bioshock remake we know will sell millions vs Atomic heart, Halo MCC vs Infinite); but what it means when developers (well, probably the publishers) are increasingly falling back on guaranteed sales is that they really want to follow the money with as little risk as possible.
And the money these days is in gaas 'services'.

So is this trend a positive or negative to you?

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's a positive.

It allows studios to churn out games faster while working on wholly new titles or new IP that take 4-6 years to develop.

Remakes can be developed in 2-3 years and allows for a more regular cadence of games. Plus it allows a whole new generation to play these games, or allows older players to experience classics in a whole new light.

It's a win all around as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm fine with it. Especially in situations where the series is stagnant. Allows people to experience a new series and fans to experience it again with enhancements.

Splinter Cell is my most anticipated.

Koppelthorn

Banned
All of the remakes that have been recently released that I have played have been honestly the best games released lately (that I have played)

I can imagine from a development standpoint, working on a lot of these is likely pretty fun and creatively stimulating for the team, given you have the groundwork all figured out, and you get to make it look all pretty + add your own spin to it. And so far that seems to be the case, for instance with the RE4 Remake I can tell a lot of love was had for the original, and a lot of effort was put into making this new remake a fun experience. It's like a remix in a way.

Now, if we stay like this and just keep making remakes, well that would be disappointing but I won't complain about new games being released + at some point there won't be any more IPs to remake, and hopefully working on these projects give dev teams a breath of fresh air and time to think about potential new and original games.

With that being said...when MGS remake???? Bluepoint & SIE please 🥺🥺

more-kylo-ren.gif

The AAA space is far more risk averse than they were in the past. It's completely stale at this point, hence why you see remakes. Take good games and resell them to a new audience.

I'm generally fine with it, because I don't expect innovation from AAA developers anymore. I think indie and AA devs are the ones pushing gameplay innovation now, and what you're seeing is AAA publishers noticing popular indie trends and incorporating them into their games. Problem is, by the time an EA, Activision, or MSFT release a game with those innovations, the gameplay concepts are stale.

kicker

Banned
Remakes can be developed in 2-3 years and allows for a more regular cadence of games
Wouldn't you rather new games were made in that time period?
It allows studios to churn out games faster while working on wholly new titles or new IP that take 4-6 years to develop.
Two possible scenarios:
The same studio who would be making new games is remaking an old game - Isn't that time better spent making the new game come out quicker?
Or
A separate studio is remaking an old game - Wouldn't you prefer that funding be put to a new game?

I already know I like the old game. If I like it so much I already replay it every few years. I would much rather have a hi-fi rush or a days gone over an evil within remake or last of us remake

It's great. Stop asking.
We are getting new games and remakes/remaster, I have nothing to complain about.

Do you really want the best games released in the year 2025 to be The Witcher 3 remake, Arkham knight remake, and a Fallout 4 remake?
New gameplay? Fresh ideas? Pushing the industry forward?

Like I said in the op, more remakes = risk aversion. risk aversion = follow the market. follow the market = stop risking 5 years of dev time and aaa budgets on singleplayer games when gaas makes more than they ever will.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I think it’s mostly good.

More people get to experience these amazing games and more devs get the opportunity to learn what design decisions/philosophies made these games such fan favorites to begin with and can take that with them for future projects.

SeraphJan

Its not like new game are stop being made because of remakes.

Its on a per game basis too, I'll take a Dead Space (a remake) over Forspoken (a new IP) any day

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Two possible scenarios:
The same studio who would be making new games is remaking an old game - Isn't that time better spent making the new game come out quicker?
Or
A separate studio is remaking an old game - Wouldn't you prefer that funding be put to a new game?

I already know I like the old game. If I like it so much I already replay it every few years. I would much rather have a hi-fi rush or a days gone over an evil within remake or last of us remake

Do you really want the best games released in the year 2025 to be The Witcher 3 remake, Arkham knight remake, and a Fallout 4 remake?

Like I said in the op, more remakes = risk aversion. risk aversion = follow the market. follow the market = stop risking 5 years of dev time and aaa budgets on singleplayer games when gaas makes more than they ever will.
This year we are getting plenty of new games that are not remake and remasters and also games like Grimgrimore, Advance War and Ghost Trick that lot of people miss their chance play them are getting second chance.

Two possible scenarios:
Or

Well said. If anyone is saying that we are getting the best of both worlds, than they have no idea how resource allocation / funding works within companies. Any remake being made by a game company means less resources/funding they are putting toward new IP or even sequels that would refine or change up a known IP.

Astral Dog

As long as they are good,positive
Resident Evil 4 has just been released but that doesn't mean they aren't making Resident Evil 9 as well some games just have that big of a fanbase

And there has been plenty of salt about RE4R lol

AngelMuffin

It depends. Games like Demon’s Souls, Dead Space, and RE4…hell yes! The Last of Us part 1not so much. I think as long as enough time has passed and remaking the game with modern tech makes significant visual/performance improvements…then yea.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Neutral at the minute, i'm interested in the System Shock remake as i never played the original, but the GTA Trilogy remakes were awful, so it depends on the remake and if it matches the original game or just's looks better but doesn't play as well or has mechanics missing.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
It's definitely a negative, along with the stupid amount if sequels. The industry has been hesitant to break away from what works and thus make games, IPs and genres go stale quickly. They beat them to death, rather than letting them rest for a few years and the re-visiting. You don't need a remake of a game that is 10 years old, or less.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When the game is almost 20 years old or more it's fine and I encourage it, something like TLOUPT1 is nice to have but I don't think it was needed yet as we already had a Remaster
Dead Space would have fallen in the same category but the difference is a lot bigger being older game, so it's welcome and it wasn't Remastered in the last 10 years either so it was a game completely from that time period.
You're forgetting there is a whole generation of gamers who never played those games and never will until a Remake.
I know an 18 year old whose favourite games are the RE Remakes.
It's for them, and obviously for us who loved the originals.
The bad thing about them is it shows how bad newer games actually are in comparison.

Rush2112

Banned
Because when millennials make their own games you get Foresworn and Gotham knights. They have no choice but to rip off the works of people who had more talent than them.
Oh it is a positive for me since I hate millennial games with a passion.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The poll question confuses cause and effect. We have all these remakes because the industry is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with new games so they release the old stuff over and over.

Like Danjin44 Danjin44 said, we are getting plenty of both. If the best games are the remakes, that's on the developers making the new games.

If anything, it proves that bringing up a tried and true classic up to modern times is more likely to be an enjoyable experience than another new, but safe game following the same formula found in most new games.

Also, Fallout 4? No. I'm not for remaking everything. Just the really good games.

Last edited:

bosnianpie

It's mostly negative but I'm part of the problem since I buy and enjoy remasters/remakes.

I often think about the original PS and how much diversity in games we had back then, on what was a much weaker console compared to even a Switch today. Developers took risks, the games weren't always great but they had their heart and soul.

MiguelItUp

I'm saying neutral, because on paper, I have absolutely no problem with it. As long as it's done well, and it's done for the most deserving of titles.

If we can continue to get solid remakes, then I definitely don't see it as a negative.

TheAssist

Remakes/Remasters/Collections/Ports to newer systems, etc. have existed for over 20 years now. And people have complained about it with the same arguments over and over again. I swear I read through the same kind of threads when I was a teen. The industry still exists. The pro and contra arguments remain the same.

In short, just buy the games you like, so devs and pubs make more of them. If people like remakes (and I sometimes do, because games aging is different from movies or books aging), then why wouldnt the industry support those demands. If there was no demand, there would be no remakes. I do not see the argument for remakes being forced demand, its not like there is nothing else out there or that the marketing for remakes is somehow bigger than for new games. Some of these remakes are actually damn good and people like them, so they buy them.
If you like new games with innovative mechanics or art design, or stories, just go on steam or the rabbit hole that is itch.io or similar sites. You'll find plenty of new and cool stuff. But you might have to look for it a bit or get recomandations (there are enough sources out there)

Or do the third option and be an old fucking cynic who never likes anything unless its from their youth and just never be happy ever again. And dont forget to shit on other peoples hard work constantly without ever having achieved anything meaningful in your own life. Thats important. (not talking about you OP, just a certain kind of people in general).

bosnianpie

How is that a negative? That's the goal for both the buyer and seller.

I consider them negative for the overall innovation and creativity of the inudstry but I buy them anyway because I like playing old classics in modern style. So they have both a negative and positive aspect for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We also getting new IP like Decapolice that combines police investigation with turn based combat which I'm personally really looking forward.
hero

img_about01.jpg

DECAPOLICE_2023_03-09-23_004.jpg

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I'd argue FF7R doesn't belong in this list.

In general, the games being remade are of a very high quality and expose newer gamers to some of the best stories and experiences ever created in the medium. There's tons of games coming out, if you don't want remakes, there's still games out there for you.

Last edited:
I consider them negative for the overall innovation and creativity of the inudstry but I buy them anyway because I like playing old classics in modern style. So they have both a negative and positive aspect for me.
This would be under the assumption that the dev teams making remakes are the same dev teams who would be making new games. Most of the time they aren't.

Killer8

Negative. As good as some of these remakes have been, the videogame industry is trending more and more towards the Hollywood model: endless remakes, sequelization, and little room for anything with less than an astronomical budget. There is a place for the simple remastering of projects eg. a 4K 60fps release that makes it more available on newer hardware. That is similar to what the music and movie industry have always done when mastering for newer home media formats. But with the sort of full remakes we're seeing, the money and creativity is being pushed into just retreading the same, safe ground.

kicker

Banned
I think it’s mostly good.

More people get to experience these amazing games and more devs get the opportunity to learn what design decisions/philosophies made these games such fan favorites to begin with and can take that with them for future projects.
In ideal world, this would be the reason remakes were being made.

Its not like new game are stop being made because of remakes.
That's the thing, you/I would always pick a remake over a new, unknown game. I want my favourite games to be remade. I don't want If your favourite games are being remade over

Most of the games being remade are the ones that were commercially succesful. They're being remade because they're guaranteed sales, that's it.
And If publishers are looking for guaranteed sales, do you think they'll keep spending 5 years making new games with fresh ideas like forspoken and hi-fi rush when those games don't sell enough
It's for them
I don't believe the publishers that decided they would remake yet another game did it because they really care about the new generation playing re4.
Because when millennials make their own games you get Foresworn and Gotham knights. They have no choice but to rip off the works of people who had more talent than them.
Oh it is a positive for me since I hate millennial games with a passion.
Bad games should be called out, sure, but I'd rather developers take a risk than repeat the same gameplay over and over with ever-new coats of paint

This year we are getting plenty of new games that are not remake and remasters and also games like Grimgrimore, Advance War and Ghost Trick that lot of people miss their chance play them are getting second chance.
Like Danjin44 Danjin44 said, we are getting plenty of both. If the best games are the remakes, that's on the developers making the new games.
I'll admit, good new games are being made. This year especially a lot of new ips I've been looking forward to for a while are finally releasing (bg3, starfield). The issue is what the idea of relying more on remakes means for the future of big budget games.

If anything, it proves that bringing up a tried and true classic up to modern times is more likely to be an enjoyable experience than another new, but safe game following the same formula found in most new games.
Remakes will always sell well as long as the original game was well received. But is it really a positive for the industry when publishers would much rather fund a remake than a sequel?

The poll question confuses cause and effect. We have all these remakes because the industry is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with new games so they release the old stuff over and over.
They may be good games, but it shows that they are out of ideas.
But the industry isn't creatively bankrupt, It's just that new ideas don't sell as well so they're discouraged. Do you believe the sales numbers for Hi-Fi rush or Forspoken will convince their publishers to make newer games over remakes with guaranteed sales?

Fine by me. I buy what i like and pass on what i don't.
Who cares- same as the movie industry.
Yes, same as everyone else. People don't usually buy what they don't like, but is it a positive when the industry wants to sell you what you like over and over in different packaging instead of new things?

In short, just buy the games you like, so devs and pubs make more of them. If people like remakes (and I sometimes do, because games aging is different from movies or books aging), then why wouldnt the industry support those demands. If there was no demand, there would be no remakes. I do not see the argument for remakes being forced demand, its not like there is nothing else out there or that the marketing for remakes is somehow bigger than for new games. Some of these remakes are actually damn good and people like them, so they buy them.
If you like new games with innovative mechanics or art design, or stories, just go on steam or the rabbit hole that is itch.io or similar sites. You'll find plenty of new and cool stuff. But you might have to look for it a bit or get recomandations (there are enough sources out there)
Buy the games you like, sure - it doesn't mean that more of them will be made, and I know you know that (I can't buy enough copies of neon white or hi-fi rush to make sure I get sequels of them. I like remakes (I will be joining everyone here to celebrate the trailer for the mgs remake, as long as it comes out on pc anyway), but that doesn't mean I want publishers to stop funding new games because they're more confident in a remake. 'New games are still being made', well sure, but they cost way more, take way longer to make and are a far greater risk than a remake, and publishers making more and more of them means that they're less and less confident in new games. If one of those new games doesn't sell as well as their arbitrary expectations, they'll start to look to other sources of guaranteed sales.
Relying on the endless creativity of indies while the AAA scene just rehashes the same gameplay mechanics (or even, the same exact games sometimes!) isn't a positive for the industry. I can be excited for Terra invicta and Against the storm, while also being frustrated that big AAA games are stagnating.

I'd argue FF7R doesn't belong in this list.

In general, the games being remade are of a very high quality and expose newer gamers to some of the best stories and experiences ever created in the medium. There's tons of games coming out, if you don't want remakes, there's still games out there for you.
See, I don't disagree with you. The games being remade are guaranteed sales. And more of them being remade means that the publishers want the guaranteed sales without the stress of making AAA games again. Think back to your favourite year of gaming, how many remakes were you playing?

I know it seems like I'm making the worst out of being allowed to play good games in better ways, or trying to convince people that it's somehow a bad thing we're getting good games remade, but the trend is what's worrying, not the games themselves. Something like opportunity cost, if you will.
Sure, good games are still coming out, this year especially, but where are we headed with this trend?

ungalo

Having a lot of remakes is more of a symptom than a root cause that has a real impact on the industry.

I think if you would have asked that like 4 or 5 years ago especially in the eventuality of a new generation of games most people would have said no. Now it's been shoved down our throat and when you have to choose between a costly remake of one of the greatest game there is and a shitty meaningless new IP or a sequel to a very mid franchise, you're obviously going to choose the remake.

I personally have a very hard time being hyped by remakes, whether they are purely technical or just based on a preexisting creative basis where most of the interest is to see what they changed. I find all of that to be very, very boring. To say that this doesn't have any impact on the release schedule of non remake games in the AAA field seems also very crazy or hypocritical.

Last edited:

JayK47

It depends. Remake means different things. To me it means ground up using same story, characters and setting. Some remakes are well done, others are ass. Some take the time to not only remake the game, but redo it for "modern audiences". In many cases, what made the original good is now lost and replaced with shiny new graphics and if you are lucky, 60 fps. I would love a 007 Goldeneye remake and many other games as well. Or at least have GOG update the old games to work on modern PCs.

Kacho

Gold Member
It just shows how risk averse companies have become. I enjoy a lot of the remakes but I’d rather have completely new games instead.

Top Bottom