• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theoretical Master System (with Game Gear games) Mini

My theoretical Master System Mini with Game Gear Games!

1*N89T7uU7FMam40fQSxSXEg.jpeg

With all the Mini News lately, I have hyped myself up for the Mega Drive Mini and the PC Engine Mini as it feels like SEGA and Konami are trying to one up Nintendo's own SNES and NES Mini.

We have been told that SEGA would need at least 10 years to make a Saturn Mini because they don't have the Technology to emulate the games correctly yet.

However, what if they tried a Master System Mini instead? (with Game Gear Games included)

Here is what I think SEGA should do with a theoretical Master System Mini should we see it at TGS or next years SEGA Fes.

Features

SEGA should get M2 to do all the emulation again, and get them to do the following features;

Make the Mini have a slightly larger Card Slot port, so that ALL existing SEGA Card games can be played for those who are curious (and perhaps even make these available for a reasonable price)

Include the Master System's Aspect Ratio for ALL Game Gear Games, including providing more of the backgound on each side to make it truly feel like an 8-Bit console Experience.

The Game Gear's 4096 colour palette to be included to all Master System Games, so the games on the Master System look even more colourful!

Save States are included from the 3DS console releases of the Game Gear.

The few available Lightgun games on the Mini are locked in menu unless a lightgun accessory is inserted in the Mini (normal sized slot at the back)

The 3D Mode for the Master System is turned off on the 3D games, with the games adjusted to play in 2D.

The Menu is in the style of the PC Engine/Turbographix-16 in style, only changing from a Master System Interface to a Game Gear one.

The Line Up

SEGA should REALLY go all out on the Master System/Game Gear and outdo the NES Mini with almost every gem/attractive game under the Sun.

The Japanese version would have some exclusive European/American games, but in return, SEGA have M2 and ATLUS create some never before seen translations of Japanese only games. They would also get a few more games than us, but with some games the West would never get anyway.

Here is what I think should be on the Master System Mini.

Master System (Both Regions)

Snail Maze (secret game in the Options Menu)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Platformer, SEGA)
Kenseiden (Platformer SEGA)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Platformer, SEGA)
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World (Platformer, SEGA)
Master of Darkness (Exploration, SEGA)
Ninja Gaiden (Platformer, Tecmo)
New Zealand Story (Platformer, Taito)
Rainbow Islands (Platformer, Taito)
Zillion (Platformer, SEGA)
Zillion 2 (Various Genres, SEGA)

Power Strike (Shmup, M2)
Power Strike 2 (Shmup, M2)
Blade Eagle 3D (Shmup, SEGA)
Sagaia (Shmup, Taito)
Aerial Assault (Shmup, SEGA)
Zaxxon 3D (Shmup, SEGA)

Phantasy Star (JRPG, SEGA)
Golden Axe Warrior (Action RPG, SEGA)
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Action RPG, SEGA)
Golvellius: Valley of Doom (RPG, SEGA)

The Ninja/Ninja Princess (Arcade Shooter, SEGA)

Baku Baku Animal (Puzzle, SEGA)
Penguin Land (Puzzle, SEGA)

Buggy Run (Racing, SEGA)
Enduro Racer (Racing, SEGA)

Gauntlet (Hack n Slash, Atari)
Rastan (Hack n Slash, Taito)
Renegade (Beat em Up, Arc System Works)

Western Exclusives

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Platformer, SEGA)

Dynamite Dux (Beat em Up, SEGA)

Battle OutRun (Racing, SEGA)

Time Soldiers (Run n Gun, SNK)

Astro Warrior (Shmup, SEGA)

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Action RPG, SEGA)

Japanese Exclusives

Castle of Illusion (Plaformer, Disney/SEGA)
Wonder Boy (Platformer, SEGA)
Sonic Chaos/Sonic & Tails (Platformer, SEGA)

Alex Kidd BMX Trial (Racing, SEGA)
Special Criminal Investigation (Racing, Taito)

Galactic Protector (Tower Defence, SEGA)

Global Defense/SDI (Shmup, SEGA)
Transbot (Shmup, SEGA)

Marble Madness (Sports, Atari) - previously European Exclusive (I can see Mark Cerny requesting this for Japan)

Maze Hunter 3D (Hack n Slash, SEGA)

Miracle Warriors (RPG, Kogado Software Products)

Game Gear (Both)

Sonic Triple Trouble (Platformer, SEGA)
Land of Illusion (Platformer, Disney/SEGA)
Deep Duck Trouble (Platformer, Disney/SEGA)
Shinobi/ GG (Platformer, SEGA)
Shinobi II: The Silent Fury/ GG 2 (Platformer, SEGA)
Tails Adventure (Exploration, SEGA)
Tempo Jr (Platformer, SEGA)

Fantasy Zone Gear (Shmup, SEGA)
GG Aleste (Shmup, M2)
GG Aleste 2 / Power Strike 2 (Shmup, M2)
Griffin (Shmup, ???)
Halley Wars (Shmup, Act Japan)
Panzer Dragoon Mini (Shmup, SEGA)
Galaga 91/ 2 (EU) (Shmup, Taito)

Shining Force: Sword of Hadja (TRPG, SEGA)
Defenders of Oasis (RPG, SEGA)
Crystal Warriors (TRPG, SEGA)

Pengo (Puzzle, SEGA)
Devilish (Pinball, Sage Creations)

Sonic Drift Racing/ 2 (Racing, SEGA)

Western Exclusives

Fantastic Dizzy (Adventure, Codemasters)

Legend of Illusion (Platformer, Disney/SEGA)
Lucky Dime Caper (Platformer, SEGA)

Dropzone (Shmup, Codemasters)

Japanese Exclusives

Madou Monogatari A: Dokidoki Vacation (RPG, SEGA)
Royal Stone: Hirakareshi Toki no Tobira (TRPG, SEGA)
Shining Force Gaiden: Ensei, Jashin no Kuni e (TRPG, SEGA)
Taisen-gata: Daisenryaku G (TRPG, SystemSoft)
Magic Knight Rayearth (RPG, SEGA)
Magic Knight Rayearth 2: Making of Magic Knight (RPG, SEGA)

Woody Pop (Pinball, SEGA)

House of Tarot (Card Simulation, SEGA) - This just reads Horoscopes

Coca Cola Kid (Platformer, SEGA)

Dragon Crystal (Rougelike, SEGA)

Now, here is the more interesting aspect if SEGA were to allow translations of some of the games. I would think that M2, ATLUS and SEGA themselves would discuss which games would be easy to translate and put these in just to please the fans even more. Here are the games that I think would be amazing to give to the Western Audiences (also available for the Japanese).

This would be a good trade-off for the Japanese getting more Game Gear games.

Translated Debuts

Sylvan Tale (Action RPG, SEGA) - M2 localisation. M2 decides to translate this game as it seems to copy The Story of Thor's gameplay really well on the Game Gear, and ask the original Fan Translators if they can expand on their work.

Megami Tensei Gaiden: Last Bible S (RPG, ATLUS) - ATLUS USA localisation, ATLUS USA asked SEGA if they can get involved with the Mini, and are big fans of the game on the Game Gear. SEGA approves this and gets a small team to tinker with the game to translate it.

Moldorian: Hikari to Yami no Kyoudai (RPG, Rit's) - SEGA localisation, called just Moldorian in the west and uses the Fan Translation and fixes the EXP Glitch.

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict (RPG, SEGA) - ATLUS USA localisation, SEGA requests ATLUS to translate the final game to gauge interest in the Shining Force series.

Lunar: Samposuru Gakuen (RPG, GameArts) - Gaijinworks/XSEED localisation, SEGA approach either company to see if they wish to have some contracted work on the Lunar series. (we won't talk about Bernie Stolar I promise! *They say to Victor Ireland)

Head Buster (TRPG, Masaya) - M2 localisation, M2 take a shine to this game and ask Extreme, the IP Holder, if they can translate this game as it will compliment the Shining Force games well.

Hoshi wo Sagashite.../The Story of Mio (Visual Novel, SEGA) - SEGA localisation, requested by Reiko Kodama to use the Fan Translation and adapt it. (this is the ONLY translated game for the Master System)

Last but not least, the Master System had a few good Lightgun games, and I feel that this would be a nice extra that would unlock once you purchased the Light Phaser. (a little unfair perhaps to lock people out but it's one of those things to encourage Light Gun sales)

Lightgun Games (requires extra Light Phaser Purchase)

Laser Ghost (SEGA)
Space Gun (SEGA)
Operation Wolf (Taito)

Western Exclusive

Bank Panic - M2 add a feature to play the game with a Lightgun! (Compatability added to game. It CAN be played without it as well!)

Conclusion

Overall, that would make 70 games for the West and 80 games for the Japanese. I have picked (hopefully) a fair amount of games people wouldn't bitch much over, and it has a nice amount of different games for people to enjoy!

I could see this retail at £99.99 (like the PC Engine Mini and original Master System Launch Price) and $109.99 for the US.

The Extra Lightgun would be £24.99 and $29.99 respectively. Controllers would be £19.99/$24.99.

Does anyone think that this would be a good line up for SEGA to use one day perhaps? It'd beat the NES Mini handily by using the best of the two consoles libraries in addition to getting SEGA's lesser console a chance to shine for old fans and new audiences!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Have mini consoles sold? Yes, whether if SEGA fans are at peace with the companies departure from consoles I could see this selling millions.

Have mini consoles sold? Yes, whether if SEGA fans are at peace with the companies departure from consoles I could see this selling millions.

I was at peace many years ago and just enjoy the ride on others consoles! XD

The Master System is an unknown in the US (and even Japan), that I think they have a market there if they display the best they have to offer.

If Disney didn't have games on the MD Mini, then I wouldn't have included them here but since SEGA made them all on the SMS/GG and Disney are okay with it, I could see them on here too.

Taito were certainly busy on the Master System!

DansDans

I love the idea

And having games like Golden Axe Warrior, Phantasy Star and Power Strike 2 would certainly kill off their expensive cart prices!

I know the SMS library wasn’t very diverse, but would like to see some sports stuff like Putt and Putter, Wimbledon and PGA or Worldclass Leaderboard. None of the Great series though

Also, there was a lot of great games released in Europe circa 93-95 that would be good to see (especially if Warner Bros and Disney allowed relicence) and sone Brazilian exclusives like Street Fighter 2, Battletoads etc

Heck, even love to see Mortal Kombat on it just to highlight its technical achievement

And Masters of Combat

An important feature it needs is to remove the sprite limit so there is no flickering. This means Double Dragon will be a lot more fun to play.... oh and put the best 8bit version of Double Dragon on this thing too!

The question is probably not if this will happen, but when it will happen. I liked the Master System. Nintendo knew perfectly well SEGA had the better system, so they prevented third-parties from being free to publish games on the Mark III/Master System. As much as I like Nintendo and especially their pre-N64 stuff, this was undeniably the behavior of a bully.

I love the idea

And having games like Golden Axe Warrior, Phantasy Star and Power Strike 2 would certainly kill off their expensive cart prices!

I know the SMS library wasn’t very diverse, but would like to see some sports stuff like Putt and Putter, Wimbledon and PGA or Worldclass Leaderboard. None of the Great series though

Also, there was a lot of great games released in Europe circa 93-95 that would be good to see (especially if Warner Bros and Disney allowed relicence) and sone Brazilian exclusives like Street Fighter 2, Battletoads etc

Heck, even love to see Mortal Kombat on it just to highlight its technical achievement

And Masters of Combat

An important feature it needs is to remove the sprite limit so there is no flickering. This means Double Dragon will be a lot more fun to play.... oh and put the best 8bit version of Double Dragon on this thing too!

Oh damn, I forgot Putt & Putter! Double Dragon is also a great choice!

Masters of Combat. Wasn't that a Korean exclusive? That would be great too!

I think those would be great for the Western side of the Mini

Master System Mini need to come with a mini CRT TV to play Light Phaser games and use 3D glasses.

M2 could possibly work their magic and use some sort of trickery for the HDMI TV!

I'm not seeing Colums in there!

Also, Sonic Chaos exclusive to Japan? Not on my watch.

Columns is on the Mega Drive Mini. Why play an Inferior version?

Sonic Chaos is something Japan hasn't really played and it's not the best (then again, so is Sonic Blast)

The question is probably not if this will happen, but when it will happen. I liked the Master System. Nintendo knew perfectly well SEGA had the better system, so they prevented third-parties from being free to publish games on the Mark III/Master System. As much as I like Nintendo and especially their pre-N64 stuff, this was undeniably the behavior of a bully.

The Master System was the console that was robbed from being truly epic, but what we did get was incredible.

I just remembered that the games where possible should have FM Support too!

Good thing Nintendo couldn't dominate Europe or else we'd have even less games!! D:

I do hope they make one though, it is so so so underrated and is still very enjoyable today vs the other systems of that Era.

Shifty

Hold on a hot minute. That picture in the OP...

You're telling me the Master System had a controller with a NES-style cross d-pad? And I never knew?!

raw

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't know much about either platforms. My uncle (only about 12 years older than me) owned a Game Gear, and my friend Nick up the street owned one, too. I don't think I've ever seen a Master System in the wild. I've heard the GG and Master System ports were quite good, even though they were "cut back". My experience with GG Sonic, Chakan, and Mortal Kombat were pretty good as a kid.

DansDans

Oh damn, I forgot Putt & Putter! Double Dragon is also a great choice!

Masters of Combat. Wasn't that a Korean exclusive? That would be great too!

I think those would be great for the Western side of the Mini

(snip)

Columns is on the Mega Drive Mini. Why play an Inferior version?

Sonic Chaos is something Japan hasn't really played and it's not the best (then again, so is Sonic Blast)

No, Masters of Combat was released in Europe, made by Sega - I think you may be thinking of Jang Pung 2 (the Street Fighter clone) which is a Korean unlicensed game

Good point about Columns, but then it leaves no puzzle games on the Mini. You wouldnt add Mean Bean Machine as its a terrible port, so might need to look at the GG library for puzzle stuff

Sonic Chaos is awesome. Needs to be there

No, Masters of Combat was released in Europe, made by Sega - I think you may be thinking of Jang Pung 2 (the Street Fighter clone) which is a Korean unlicensed game

Good point about Columns, but then it leaves no puzzle games on the Mini. You wouldnt add Mean Bean Machine as its a terrible port, so might need to look at the GG library for puzzle stuff

Sonic Chaos is awesome. Needs to be there

Ah yeah. Got the two mixed up!

Penguin Land and Devilish are great puzzle games to be fair. Especially Devilish which is an Arkanoid styled game with a unique twist.

I was thinking along the lines of if you have them on the MD Mini, it'd be best exposing the other titles that are not as well known.

Perhaps I should have made Sonic Blast a Japanese exclsuive. :LOL:

Bullet Club

Great thread (y)

You forgot Psycho Fox, which was one of the Master System's big games.

Also R-Type was one of the bigger non-Sega games on the system.

Great thread (y)

You forgot Psycho Fox, which was one of the Master System's big games.

Also R-Type was one of the bigger non-Sega games on the system.

I would hsve put Psycjo Fox on but have no clue if Vic Tokai do stuff with their gsmes anymore.

R-Type was something I considered but considering it is on the PC Engine Mini I didn't want to duplicate it and would likely be compared to the PC Engine version (I know Fantasy Zone is on this and the PC Engine but SEGA wouldn't ignore it).

Yeah, Master system would be perfect as a mini console.
Would prefer Saturn mini, better Neo Geo mini or Capcom CPS 1+2 mini, but Master System is cool.

cireza

Banned
Include the Master System's Aspect Ratio for ALL Game Gear Games, including providing more of the backgound on each side to make it truly feel like an 8-Bit console Experience.

The Game Gear's 4096 colour palette to be included to all Master System Games, so the games on the Master System look even more colourful!
You do realize that this requires reworking every single game one by one ? Totally unfeasible.

Otherwise I was pleased to see some less known GG games being cited.

You could add Arena, Lost World Jurassic Park, Power Rangers (first one not the movie) and Fatal Fury Special. These come to mind. Outrun port was also pretty good. Pretty sure there is a good soccer game J League.

Last edited:

Hudo

I really do hope they'll call it "Theoretical Master System (with GameGear games) Mini". I would buy it for the name alone.

I am not ridiculing this thread. I am serious.

You do realize that this requires reworking every single game one by one ? Totally unfeasible.

Otherwise I was pleased to see some less known GG games being cited.

You could add Arena, Lost World Jurassic Park, Power Rangers (first one not the movie) and Fatal Fury Special. These come to mind. Outrun port was also pretty good. Pretty sure there is a good soccer game J League.

Of course! This is just a fun thread really as M2 couldn't do all of those but this is more of a thread to give the gems of those consoles out there to the masses as it really has a load of them.

Kazza

I think the Master System version of Shinobi would be worth including, as would that Game Gear Zelda clone (Golden Axe Warrior?). Double Dragoon was pretty good, as was the GG version of Alien Syndrome. They would probably include a Streets of Rage game, even though they are basically just cut down versions of their younger Megadrive brother (good versions, but not different in the way the Sonic and Mickey games were).

Although Saturn might be difficult to emulate, I think Dreamcast is much easier and is probably a more likely follow-up to the Megadrive Mini. I do like the MS, and the recent good sales of the Sega Ages Alex Kidd should clue Sega into its nostalgia value in Europe, so hopefully it will become a reality someday.

I think the Master System version of Shinobi would be worth including, as would that Game Gear Zelda clone (Golden Axe Warrior?). Double Dragoon was pretty good, as was the GG version of Alien Syndrome. They would probably include a Streets of Rage game, even though they are basically just cut down versions of their younger Megadrive brother (good versions, but not different in the way the Sonic and Mickey games were).

Although Saturn might be difficult to emulate, I think Dreamcast is much easier and is probably a more likely follow-up to the Megadrive Mini. I do like the MS, and the recent good sales of the Sega Ages Alex Kidd should clue Sega into its nostalgia value in Europe, so hopefully it will become a reality someday.

I did think of the SMS one but the GG ones are more unique and play pretty close to the more modern Revenge.

Golden Axe Warrior is on there!

DD and Alien Syndrome are great ideas! Maybe they would be included for the western versions.

If DD and Renegade were on there, I would think that SoR shouldn't be on there to give those games breathing space.

I think the SMS/GG Mini would be more doable than the DC Mini at the moment and would compliment the NES mini really well!

Perhaps you could do a great line up for the DC Mini as that is not my strength.

I think something like a master System Mini could sell pretty well in the UK, some European regions (it was pretty big in France), and Brazil. If Sega developed such hardware, they could price it at half the cost of a Genesis/ Mega Drive Mini.

Kazza

I did think of the SMS one but the GG ones are more unique and play pretty close to the more modern Revenge.

Golden Axe Warrior is on there!

DD and Alien Syndrome are great ideas! Maybe they would be included for the western versions.

If DD and Renegade were on there, I would think that SoR shouldn't be on there to give those games breathing space.

I think the SMS/GG Mini would be more doable than the DC Mini at the moment and would compliment the NES mini really well!

Perhaps you could do a great line up for the DC Mini as that is not my strength.

I agree that the GG Shinobi games are better, but I still think the MS one deserves a place. There aren't any licencing issues involved, so why not? You put together a really nice collection of games there and I hope Sega is listening. The MS is very underrated and I would like more people to get the chance to play. Hopefully the PC Engine Mini will be enough of a success to prove that it is worth releasing more niche systems.

To me eternal shame, I never owned a Dreamcast, but I did put together a potential Saturn Mini line up a few months back. At the time I limited myself to just 20 games, but it now seems that 30 might be possible.

I was going to try and add to this, but man...you got this all covered. A pause/start button added the the controllers would be fantastic as well.

My only addition would be the game Bank Panic, as i is an absolute classic. Glad to see Master of Darkness and Ninja Gaiden getting the love though, as they are just stellar titles for the platform.

I agree that the GG Shinobi games are better, but I still think the MS one deserves a place. There aren't any licencing issues involved, so why not? You put together a really nice collection of games there and I hope Sega is listening. The MS is very underrated and I would like more people to get the chance to play. Hopefully the PC Engine Mini will be enough of a success to prove that it is worth releasing more niche systems.

To me eternal shame, I never owned a Dreamcast, but I did put together a potential Saturn Mini line up a few months back. At the time I limited myself to just 20 games, but it now seems that 30 might be possible.

Yeah, Shinobi the original should get on there if we take a Sonic game out. (Cue some triggers).

If the PC Engine Mini is successful then they could do a MSX Mini given that Konami were huge supporters of that one.

Saturn has way too many Gems to stop at 30. It could go to 45 at a stretch!

Bank Panic! That would be a great addition!

I might rejig stuff soon.

Top Bottom