• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Year 2001 in Gaming

Select any number of favorites

• Advance Wars

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • Black & White

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • Devil May Cry

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 72 38.3%
  • Golden Sun

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 97 51.6%
  • Halo: Combat Evolved

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • Ico

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

Votes: 37 19.7%
  • Luigi's Mansion

Votes: 35 18.6%
  • Max Payne

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Votes: 103 54.8%
  • Onimusha: Warlords

Votes: 30 16.0%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • Paper Mario Phantasy Star Online / Version 2

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Pikmin

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Shenmue II

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Super Monkey Ball

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee

Votes: 46 24.5%
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons / Ages

Votes: 23 12.2%

• Total voters

Phase

That single year is better than 2013-2020 combined. AAA is straight trash now.
Hell Yeah Yes GIF

Ian Henry

For all people saying that historically great games don't come until later in the generation, look at this year and begin to ponder. This was Year 1 of the Sixth Gen maybe Year 2 counting Dreamcast but goddamn that was a monster and influential year. Impacted the culture in a whole new way. One of the best years in gaming history.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Holy shit Klonoa 2, had the water level of this on a demo disc as a kid. Never realised it was a 91 on Metacritic! Just watched a video on YouTube and all the sound affects/music came rushing back. Guessing this isn’t HD remastered or anything for PS3/PS4?

Phase

This year was insanity. So many revolutionary games in different genres.

Tribes 2
Max Payne
Halo
Red Faction
AVP2
Project Gotham
Burnout
Mario Tennis
Diablo 2
Devil May Cry
Stronghold
Ghost Recon

I'm really glad I was able to be a part of this great era of gaming.

Rikku-X

Crazy good year, start of the gamecube and xbox with Halo: Combat Evolved, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Dead or Alive 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee and Luigi's Mansion.
The end of the dreamcast with Shenmue II. And the PS2 was starting to get really going with Final Fantasy X.

Alan Wake

Amazing year for gaming. Better than I remember, but it was the swan song year of the Dreamcast for me and I didn't experience many of the other gems until later.

Shenmue II was game of 2001 for me, and it's still one of my best gaming experiences ever. After that Phantasy Star Online.

Zero7

I've been replaying MGS2 on my series X in 4k. Honestly I'm still amazed that game is knocking on 20 yrs old and I'm still discovering little details in it that I've never seen before. It can easily put modern games to shame.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Conkers was the most fun I had in a console shooter. Man that game was great. I was basically a pc gamer at that point but I played it at a friend's house. I then went to gamestop and bought a used 64. The way the heads exploded and the Nazi teddies. Good times.

Phase

Gaming felt like being in a cool family back then. Calling buddies over to play the newest release and going to a friend's if they got it sooner. Setting up LAN parties on pc and splitscreen console battles in the same room. There was something magical about experiencing technological advancement without it being actually advanced yet.

nerdface

Banned
Yeah wow. What a year...I enjoyed quite a few of those games. One of the few gens for me that I owned all the consoles. Gba too. All were more affordable back then.

I really wish I had all that stuff still, but it’s just stuff. I’ll always have the memories. 😢

trickybiff

Yeah wow. What a year...I enjoyed quite a few of those games. One of the few gens for me that I owned all the consoles. Gba too. All were more affordable back then.

I really wish I had all that stuff still, but it’s just stuff. I’ll always have the memories. 😢
There are always emulators!

Elysion

Banned
Imagine if GTA 6, Final Fantasy 16, Gran Turismo 7, Metal Gear Solid 6, Halo Infinite, a new Silent Hill, Max Payne 4, Devil May Cry 5, a new Onimusha and a new Jak and Dexter all released in a single year. And all of them were genre defining milestones that would turn up in people‘s ‚favorite games of all time lists‘ for decades.

...yeah

nerdface

Banned
There are always emulators!

It’s never the same.

...after my move here shortly, I’m tempted to get a gamecube, an old tv, and a copy of SMB1, FZero, and Waverace.

I’m already buried in a backlog, but just having them there somewhere would make me a happy complete human being.

...someone help me 😢🤓

Top Bottom