• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Yakuza Series Will Remain a Turn-Based RPG Series Going Forward

I don't get how you can call it lazy. Nagoshi probably got burnt out and bored of making the same thing for years on end. You have 7 games of the classic style (not including the original 2 versions) in the main series. It's a beat em up. How much more can you really innovate with the genre? They remade 2 of the series which tells me there's a lack of fresh ideas. There's Judgement which is a take on the Yakuza style but a little different. I personally welcome the change. I've yet to play Like A Dragon but I'm definitely ok with it. The only issue I see people having (which isn't an issue) is that it's called Yakuza. It's not like the change in style has to be forever. There's plenty to play if you want the old style. I'd say it's more lazy to stick to the same formula every game. They're trying something different and I commend them for taking a risk and mixing it up. You may think it's less technically impressive but they've had 1 attempt so far. I just think you're scared of change.
The old combat system was ps2 level, and this is less impressive. Is what im saying.

There was alot more to evolve as far as the old combat system was concerned. But that would take too much work, so they opted to go turn based.

You guys need to know when devs are cutting corners tbh the sooner you realize it the sooner our standards will be higher and we'll get better games.

Acting as if that old combat system was the pinnacle that yakuza could achieve is just a testament to a lack of imagination and ambition

I don't get how you can call it lazy. Nagoshi probably got burnt out and bored of making the same thing for years on end. You have 7 games of the classic style (not including the original 2 versions) in the main series. It's a beat em up. How much more can you really innovate with the genre? They remade 2 of the series which tells me there's a lack of fresh ideas. There's Judgement which is a take on the Yakuza style but a little different. I personally welcome the change. I've yet to play Like A Dragon but I'm definitely ok with it. The only issue I see people having (which isn't an issue) is that it's called Yakuza. It's not like the change in style has to be forever. There's plenty to play if you want the old style. I'd say it's more lazy to stick to the same formula every game. They're trying something different and I commend them for taking a risk and mixing it up. You may think it's less technically impressive but they've had 1 attempt so far. I just think you're scared of change.
Everything in this post is 100% spot on.

Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
This news made me happy. I know its not everybody's cup 'o tea but I prefer more turn based rpgs. Plus Yakuza 7 was great the whole way through and has plenty more story to tell so I figured they'd keep it going for a while at least. Plus with Judgement we get more of the action style. I really enjoyed in LAD seeing the classic jrpg tropes play out in a modern setting, it was cool plus all the references and such. I love Ichiban and crew, can't wait to go on their next adventure!

I do get the sentiment about the lack of good brawlers/beat 'em ups. I enjoy some indie games but sadly not much has moved me recently, apart from Dragons Crown ofc. Its funny seeing people lose it though, I get it. My beloved franchises of my youth are dead as shit but I ain't out there complaining. I actually try the new games using the names of old. They won't be my favorite, but I'm not going to deprive myself of a good time for nostalgia's sake. Hell if anything, missing the games and styles of old has made me deep dive into systems, genres and games I never thought I would or didn't know existed.

The old combat system was ps2 level, and this is less impressive. Is what im saying.

There was alot more to evolve as far as the old combat system was concerned. But that would take too much work, so they opted to go turn based.

You guys need to know when devs are cutting corners tbh the sooner you realize it the sooner our standards will be higher and we'll get better games.

Acting as if that old combat system was the pinnacle that yakuza could achieve is just a testament to a lack of imagination and ambition
Go ahead and tell me how it could get better.

Go ahead and tell me how it could get better.
Lol okay, but first...really? You can't visualize a more impressive fighting system in that universe? Do you think thats as good as it can get?

In my crazy mind that game should look like sifu combat minimum at this point lol

Or how about more button combinations that execute different animated moves, to allow for more than just simple inputs and mashing i.e. repetitive square, triangle attacks

Basically expanding on the limited input commands. Allowing for more intricacy and options.

How about making the encounters on the street seem more organic and sensible rather than just having dudes suddenly run at you like its state of emergency on ps2 lol make it apparent there are zones and territory, and make the a.i. behave in accordance with time and visibility.

The exploration and mission design would even be able to play around with that quite a bit. I.e. creating fear and tension regarding visiting certain territories.

how about have full voice acting throughout the ga-nevermind im going off combat xD

The arcade like, retro nature of the combat is merely the byproduct of a lack of an attempt to have any sort of expontential leap in the combat, both conceptually and when it was originally on ps2. They just kept building upon the ps2 build, because they wanted to keep having quick releases.

Then they go turn based, because they knew the way they were going was archaic, but they went with the quickest solution instead of evolving.

Acting like this is dope, is why games kinda suck right now in comparison to other generations ambition wise lop imo of course, maybe you think gaming is awesome right now. I dont, meh.

YukiOnna

I don't have any particular attachment to turn-based RPG's like some do here. As long as it's fun that's what matters and Yakuza kept my attention for the entire series in this regard with brawlers so it could go either way as long as they did it right. However, Nagoshi did indicate before the launch of the game that if the battle system was poorly received they would do something about it. Seems like enough people liked it for them to continue to commit to it.
“First of all, we want to find out if this system can be accepted. Of course we won’t force you to buy it, but we know there’s a huge amount of people who are always like, ‘Yay, another Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio action game!’ and if those people don’t like what we’ve given them this time … I don’t want to be pessimistic, but hypothetically, if it did come to that, well, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, but I am the kind of person who in that situation would probably end up thinking, ‘I want to go back’.”

SSo
I told all you fucking morons that said "lol its just one of, the gameplay has gotten stale stop bitcing, no one cared about the gameplay anyway it was always shit, the minigames was the best" if you buy it its here to stay.
You stupid Yakuza 0 bandwagoners ruined my series, both with your homo-erotic fanfiction shit that injected majima into the kiwami games and ruined them, and this meme that "gameplay was never important looool"
Judgement should have been a jrpg and yakuza should have been a brawler, there are no fucking brawlers on the market now.

The worst thing any eastern company did was listen to the western new fans, bunch of insufferable retards. You would all be up in arms if mainline Forza games or Gran Turismo games suddenly turned into Managment games where you dont even drive, but its okay for Yakuza since you played to many to fast and got burnt out.
So a very Japanese centric game with huge following in Japan was changed because of Western audience who, for more than a decade, practically ignored the game entirely, now has huge sway over the games development and Western audiences demanded a JRPG?

What the duck are you talking about bro.

These people got ducking sick making the same game for 15 years, not a single one of us begged for it to be a JRPG.

They released an April Fool's joke video with these RPG mechanics, and people responded well and they decided to experiment.

Get over yourself.

Top Bottom