• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Series is a beast of an emulation machine

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Reaver 2

Perfect. Not a single thing that looked off. Runs smooth as well. Maybe a tiny bit too blurry for my taste, but that's a nitpick.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
TimeSplitters

Perfect
. Couldn't make out anything wrong with it.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

----

Ape Escape 2

Plays very well, there are no slowdowns or anything, but there are some very noticeable graphical glitches. Wherever you can still enjoy this game is up to you I guess. Other than those graphical glitches it plays completely fine, so there is that.
This is a playable experience.

Settings:
Resolution at 720p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

----

Escape from Monkey Island

Had some slight sound bugs during the intro. In game it seems to work pretty well though. Can't make out anything bad otherwise.
This is an almost perfect experience for now. I will play little longer until I make a final conclusion though.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

Zeroing

Banned
It emulates nicely what else does it do?
Gremlins 2 Kiss GIF

blowjobs.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Still no signs of banning your console? Got lime 200+ games. Already bought the license but dreading makes all thos folders lol

01011001 01011001 helped mw alot but looks like those PM'a were deleted =/

Last edited:

Banned
Still no signs of banning your console? Got lime 200+ games. Already bought the license but dreading makes all thos folders lol

01011001 01011001 helped mw alot but looks like those PM'a were deleted =/

they don't ban consoles no. they basically let it happen. at this point them deleting them off the store from time to time is more like them trying to have deniability for when Sony or Nintendo get angry at them xD

they even made it easier than ever

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

What to look out for then is the level of emulation you get with Sony's new service, and what you get here..

So I have installed retroarch but have some questions.
Do you then need to install the "cores"?
So if I want to load up a PS1 for example there are five different ones..Duckstation, Beetle.PSX, Beetle PSX HW, PCSX and Swanstation.
What is the difference? Which one do I pick, or do I need to download them all?
What I am looking to emulate is the following
1. PS1
2. PS2,
3. PS3
4. Saturn
5 Dreamcast
6. NeoGeo
5. Arcade

So what would be the best to use for each one of those? I have a XSX if that makes any difference.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
So if I want to load up a PS1 for example there are five different ones..Duckstation, Beetle.PSX, Beetle PSX HW, PCSX and Swanstation.
1. PS1
2. PS2,
3. PS3
4. Saturn
5 Dreamcast
6. NeoGeo
5. Arcade

So what would be the best to use for each one of those? I have a XSX if that makes any difference.
Id like tot know this as well

I Appreciate You Dj Khaled GIF

Banned
1. PS1
2. PS2,
3. PS3
4. Saturn
5 Dreamcast
6. NeoGeo
5. Arcade

👇👇👇👇👇

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Artic Thunder

Plays fine, but has severe slowdown. You absolutely should turn off anything, meaning resolution on native, play in 4:3, no anisotropic filtering, no FXAA, no shader. That way there still be slowdowns, but reduced to a minimum.
Overall a somewhat playable experience, but far from perfect.

----

Capcom Fighting Jam

This one plays pretty much flawless. There is a very short sound bug when starting a match, but that's so insignificant, that I will still rate this with a perfect rating. There is just one thing... the Xbox Series controller really sucks for this type of game. I can't do half circle movements at all. They just don't register. So while it performs really well, I wouldn't recommend playing this game on Xbox, unless you have another controller.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT royale

----

MDK 2: Armageddon

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Monster Hunter 2

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Phantasy Star Generations

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Phantasy Star Generations 2

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

----

Shox

Perfect
. Couldn't make out anything wrong with it. Finally a racing game that runs without hiccups.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Vampire Panic

Sound bugs if let the game run without doing anything (screen turns grayish when that happens). Several graphics glitches. They are noticeable, but not as bad as in Ape Escape 2. Otherwise this game runs pretty well.
I could totally see myself playing it despite those graphical glitches, as they (strangely) fit with the game's aesthetics. I will still rate it as a somewhat playable experience. The glitches could come from the widescreen patch. I'll try it again in 4:3 and see if they're still there.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Ape Escape 3

Perfect. Couldn't make out anything wrong with it.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Auto Modellista

PAL
version runs perfect.
Couldn't make out anything wrong with it.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---
Auto Modellista

JAP
version runs perfect as well.

The reason why I picked out both is that I've heard there were severe differences between the versions released in the west and the Japanese original. I've used the same car, drove on the same track, same circumstances and noticed.... no differences whatsoever.
Could it be that these chances only apply to the US version?

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Baroque

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Enthusia

From a gameplay perspective this is perfectly playable. The frame rate is consistent and good. There are graphical glitches though or better said there is one graphical glitch. There are weird stripes in the menus, during a race, basically everywhere. They are definitely noticeable, but also discreet. In my opinion they hardly distract you from enjoying the game, but I guess some others will see it differently. I'd would rate it somewhere between "almost perfect" and "somewhat playable", but I tend more to "almost perfect", because those weird stripes, while not pretty, are the only gripes I have. Everything else is intact and works like it should be. And again, those stripes, while noticeable, are discreet.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Michigan: Report from Hell

Very poor frame rate, full of graphical glitches. It starts, but this is absolutely not a satisfying way to play the game. Skip this one.
I've tried out different settings. That didn't help though. Over all, it starts but is unplayable.

If you change all settings to standard, the game becomes very playable actually. There are still quite a few graphical glitches as well as sound bugs, but it's definitely playable now. New rating is "somewhat playable".

---

Clock Tower 3

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Cold Fear

Some slight graphical glitches with the in-game text, also some graphical glitches with some of the shadows, most things are rendered properly though. At the start and when entering a room there is a (sometimes) short sound bug. At a few instances I also had short stutters. So technically not perfect, but those issues are mostly insignificant. I will rate it with "almost perfect", as for the most part it runs like a champ.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Cold Winter

Several minor graphical glitches with shadows, fully playable otherwise. I will rate it with "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Contra: Shattered Soldier

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Dragon Quest V Remake

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Dynasty Tactics 2

Some very slight graphical glitches, nothing major, easy to ignore. Almost perfect.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Echo Night Beyond

Sadly this one has slowdowns, which do hamper the experience a lot. Sometimes it runs perfectly fine, other times you will have severe slowdowns. If you turn off the lights it usually runs smooth again though. I think it's possible to complete. It's somewhat playable. There are better options though. Other than the frame rate I haven noticed anything wrong.

Settings:
Resolution at native
FXAA off
no anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

Rating explained:

Perfect
: Games run flawless and could be released and sold just like they are without anyone questioning it. If there are any hiccups, they are so small and insignificant, that most people won't even realize that they are there.

Almost Perfect: Games that are completely playable, but have some minor hiccups like the shadows in Haunting Ground, that don't get rendered properly. Despite those minor hiccups, these games are still absolutely enjoyable to play.

Somewhat playable: The games are playable, but have some major hiccups like regularly slowdown or very apparent graphical glitches, that can reduce enjoyment noticeably. Whether you can look past those issues is up to you.

Starts, but unplayable: These games start, but the the hiccups are so major, that they can't really be considered playable. Those hiccups can be very slow frame rates of sub 10 FPS or intense graphical glitches.

Won't start: Self-explanatory

Category 1 and 2 should work for anyone. Category 3 depends on the person and how much those issues hamper your experience. Category 4 and 5 are out of question.

Another thing, you usually have to close and restart RetroArch when switching PS2 games. With other cores this occurs only rarely. When in-game there are no issues though. Yeah, it's silly, but in the end it's only a few button presses and a few seconds, so it could be worse.

---

Oh, and btw. thank you for gold. I don't who did it, but thank you. It's appreciated. :)

wvnative

Auto Modellista

PAL
version runs perfect.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---
Auto Modellista

JAP
version runs perfect as well.

The reason why I picked out both is that I've heard there were severe differences between the versions released in the west and the Japanese original. I've used the same car, drove on the same track, same circumstances and noticed.... no differences whatsoever.
Could it be that these chances only apply to the US version?

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Baroque

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Enthusia

From a gameplay perspective this is perfectly playable. The frame rate is consistent and good. There are graphical glitches though or better said there is one graphical glitch. There are weird stripes in the menus, during a race, basically everywhere. They are definitely noticeable, but also discreet. In my opinion they hardly distract you from enjoying the game, but I guess some others will see it differently. I'd would rate it somewhere between "almost perfect" and "somewhat playable", but I tend more to "almost perfect", because those weird stripes, while not pretty, are the only gripes I have. Everything else is intact and works like it should be. And again, those stripes, while noticeable, are discreet.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Michigan: Report from Hell

Very poor frame rate, full of graphical glitches. It starts, but this is absolutely not a satisfying way to play the game. Skip this one.
I've tried out different settings. That didn't help though. Over all, it starts but is unplayable.

---

Clock Tower 3

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Cold Fear

Some slight graphical glitches with the in-game text, also some graphical glitches with some of the shadows, most things are rendered properly though. At the start and when entering a room there is a (sometimes) short sound bug. At a few instances I also had short stutters. So technically not perfect, but those issues are mostly insignificant. I will rate it with "almost perfect", as for the most part it runs like a champ.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Cold Winter

Several minor graphical glitches with shadows, fully playable otherwise. I will rate it with "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Contra: Shattered Soldier

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Dragon Quest V Remake

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Dynasty Tactics 2

Some very slight graphical glitches, nothing major, easy to ignore. Almost perfect.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Echo Night Beyond

Sadly this one has slowdowns, which do hamper the experience a lot. Sometimes it runs perfectly fine, other times you will have severe slowdowns. If you turn off the lights it usually runs smooth again though. I think it's possible to complete. It's somewhat playable. There are better options though. Other than the frame rate I haven noticed anything wrong.

Settings:
Resolution at native
FXAA off
no anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

Rating explained:

Perfect
: Games run flawless and could be released and sold just like they are without anyone questioning it. If there are any hiccups, they are so small and insignificant, that most people won't even realize that they are there.

Almost Perfect: Games that are completely playable, but have some minor hiccups like the shadows in Haunting Ground, that don't get rendered properly. Despite those minor hiccups, these games are still absolutely enjoyable to play.

Somewhat playable: The games are playable, but have some major hiccups like regularly slowdown or very apparent graphical glitches, that can reduce enjoyment noticeably. Whether you can look past those issues is up to you.

Starts, but unplayable: These games start, but the the hiccups are so major, that they can't really be considered playable. Those hiccups can be very slow frame rates of sub 10 FPS or intense graphical glitches.

Won't start: Self-explanatory

Category 1 and 2 should work for anyone. Category 3 depends on the person and how much those issues hamper your experience. Category 4 and 5 are out of question.

Another thing, you usually have to close and restart RetroArch when switching PS2 games. With other cores this occurs only rarely. When in-game there are no issues though. Yeah, it's silly, but in the end it's only a few button presses and a few seconds, so it could be worse.

---

Oh, and btw. thank you for gold. I don't who did it, but thank you. It's appreciated. :)

Can you try ace combat 5? Having issues with it on my PS2, if it works on retroarch i might do that

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Can you try ace combat 5? Having issues with it on my PS2, if it works on retroarch i might do that
sure.

Ace Combat 5

(
Just like in Enthusia, there are always those weird stripes across the screen. They are always there (except during cutscenes, those are exactly like they should be). I think they are way more noticeable than in Enthusia though, so less discreet. I also noticed several sound bugs (especially when you go to the menus during a mission). Ultimately, the only way to play it without slowdowns is to play with the regular perspective (the first person one). If you use the interior perspective or the one where can see your aircraft, the game slows down. So overall... not that great honestly. I would rate it as "somewhat playable", but it runs worse than the other games that I ranked the same. It's not unplayable though, so there is that.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
)

Lowering the settings (resolution native, FXAA off, no anisotropic filtering, no shader) sadly doesn't help. However, by turning off widescreen patch you can get rid of those black stripes. This will also make the game run smoother (you can now use the interior view without a problem, outside view sadly still results in slowdowns). The sound bugs are also gone (well, most of them at least). If you lower the settings and turn off widescreen patch, then I think this is totally playable (if you don't use the outside view, the one where you can see the aircraft). I think it's still not good enough for the "almost perfect" ranking, but it's close. Give it a try.

---

Forbidden Sirren

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Front Mission 5

For some reason, when you start the game, the Square Enix logo flickers like crazy. There are also graphical glitches: Some very tiny, barely noticeable white stripes when there are dialogue boxes, and shadows aren't displayed properly during in-game cutscenes (not talking about the battle cutscenes when you attack an enemy. Those are fine, but there is also some discreet white lines that flicker lightly. They are hardly an issue though. You can also notice some white borders around the mechs. Again, hardly an issue). Everything else seems to be displayed properly, and considering the game runs fluently, and the gameplay is intact, I will rate it with "almost perfect", as you can definitely enjoy this game on the xbox and the gripes I have with it aren't that big.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

wvnative

sure.

Ace Combat 5

(
Just like in Enthusia, there are always those weird stripes across the screen. They are always there (except during cutscenes, those are exactly like they should be). I think they are way more noticeable than in Enthusia though, so less discreet. I also noticed several sound bugs (especially when you go to the menus during a mission). Ultimately, the only way to play it without slowdowns is to play with the regular perspective (the first person one). If you use the interior perspective or the one where can see your aircraft, the game slows down. So overall... not that great honestly. I would rate it as "somewhat playable", but it runs worse than the other games that I ranked the same. It's not unplayable though, so there is that.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
)

Lowering the settings (resolution native, FXAA off, no anisotropic filtering, no shader) sadly doesn't help. However, by turning off widescreen patch you can get rid of those black stripes. This will also make the game run smoother (you can now use the interior view without a problem, outside view sadly still results in slowdowns). The sound bugs are also gone (well, most of them at least). If you lower the settings and turn off widescreen patch, then I think this is totally playable (if you don't use the outside view, the one where you can see the aircraft). I think it's still not good enough for the "almost perfect" ranking, but it's close. Give it a try.

---

Forbidden Sirren

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Front Mission 5

For some reason, when you start the game, the Square Enix logo flickers like crazy. There are also graphical glitches: Some very tiny, barely noticeable white stripes when there are dialogue boxes, and shadows aren't displayed properly during in-game cutscenes (not talking about the battle cutscenes when you attack an enemy. Those are fine, but there is also some discreet white lines that flicker lightly. They are hardly an issue though. You can also notice some white borders around the mechs. Again, hardly an issue). Everything else seems to be displayed properly, and considering the game runs fluently, and the gameplay is intact, I will rate it with "almost perfect", as you can definitely enjoy this game on the xbox and the gripes I have with it aren't that big.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Thanks. This game is problematic lol. Got an HDD in my PS2, first game i tried with issues. My disc drive is dead. I dislike first person/cockpit view but I might have to get used to it.

I really wish RA cores weren't so behind

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Gitaroo Man

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Widescreen patch: on

---

God Hand

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Kessen 3

There is a big white stripe during cutscenes. Not as bad as it sounds though, the picture itself is fine. The white stripe is where the text is. It's not in the video itself. In-game I've noticed those notorious thin black stripes again. They are only noticeable when there is a text box though, so nothing major. Gameplay is fully in tact and plays smooth. Turning off the widescreen patch sadly didn't help. Still, those graphical glitches are very discreet and shouldn't hamper your experience all too much. Especially in-game it's barely noticeable outside of text boxes. During cutscenes the big white stripe can be annoying, but it's still acceptable. I will rate it with "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Klonoa 2

Very very discreet graphical glitches. However, I definitely would recommend using the CRT Geom shader. It makes the game look much much better than with the advanced AA filter I usually use (with that shader the visuals don't really translate all to well imo). While it's technically not 100% perfect, I think the errors are so slim (as in barely noticeable), I will still give this the "perfect" rating. Just make sure you use the CRT Geom shader.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT Geom Deluxe

---

Initial D Special Stage

Sadly this one doesn't work. Tried it three times with standard settings and it just doesn't load up. Maybe my file is corrupted, but I don't think so.
Rating "won't start".

---

Kuon

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Kya: The Dark Linage

The game is playable... but you wouldn't want to. Graphical glitches are always present and they are very in your face. In that regard it is similar to Ape Escape 2, but way way worse and much much more annoying. There are also sound bugs and flicker. It starts and the frame rate is fine. The gameplay is in tact. I will rate it as "somewhat playable", but I wouldn't recommend it. What a shame, because this is an underappreciated gem that deserves more attention.

Changing the settings to standard only helps slightly.

---

Maximo

There was one graphical glitch I could make out, but it's nothing too bad and it won't hamper your experience as it is only there for a second or two and also only at specific places. You will realize it when it happens, but it is easy to ignore. Other than that I couldn't make out anything wrong with it. It runs very good and looks very good. It sits somewhere in between perfect and almost perfect as far as my rating goes. I tend more to almost perfect.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Mystic Nights

Some sound bugs during cutscenes (to my awareness only at the beginning though, in-game and later cutscenes run without issues). Also I recommend playing the game in 4:3 and without widescreen patch, as there is some small overlap otherwise with the text and other things when displayed in 16:9. It's still perfectly playable in 16:9, but personally I prefer 4:3 here. I don't know why that is. It could be, because I am playing the translated version though. Anyway, game runs very well. I couldn't make out any other issues. I rate it "perfect", as the few issues I have aren't a big deal. If the sound bugs would occur outside of the intro cutscene, I'd rate it with "almost perfect". Thats not the case though.

Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT Geom Deluxe
Widescreen patch: off
Aspect ratio: 4:3

---

Neo Contra

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Okami

Some very minor graphical glitches, not even sure if they are graphical glitches. Could be part of the art style. Runs perfectly fine. I would recommend trying out different shaders until you find one you like. Rating "perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Primal

Sadly, this one crashes. Could be because it takes too long load from my USB drive, but I'm not sure. Tried it, and everything seemed perfectly fine, but during the loading screen after the intro it crashes.
Therefore the rating is "unplayable".

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Perfect
I recommend using the CRT Geom Deluxe shader, because I think it looks more natural and less bloomy. Also you may want to play it in 4:3 without widescreen patch, because there is overlay in the menu texts. Personally I think that's fine, because the game itself isn't affected by the aspect ratio.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT Geom Deluxe

---

Onimusha 2

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Fatal Frame

uhh.. for some reason this game seems to be in black in white? Not during cutscenes and not when opening the menu, but during gameplay... otherwise this runs perfectly.. and honestly, the black and white aesthetic kinda works, so it doesn't bother me. Rating: "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT Geom Deluxe

---

Raw Danger

The text boxes have some obscure borders with very thin white/black stripes. Not exactly something major though and easy to ignore. The characters also don't exactly speak lip synch. Looks goofy, I think that's also when playing on original hardware. I've also noticed some minor graphical glitches (outside of the stripes and borders when there are text boxes), but nothing major. Game runs very smooth and is fully in tact otherwise. Rating: "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Ridge Racer V

Intro cutscene is completely broken. The cars look totally fucked. Also noticed some other graphical glitches, but nothing major. Gameplay wise its fully in tact though, so depending on how much this bothers you, this is either an "almost perfect" or a "somewhat playable". I tend to "somewhat playable", because I want cars to look good in a racing game. It's totally playable and enjoyable though and everything else works like it should.

Changing the settings didn't fix anything.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Rule of Rose

Some slight graphical glitches, some slightly flickering textures, nothing too major. Game runs very good. Rating "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Rygar: The Legendary Adventure

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Samurai Western

Some slight borders and stripes around text boxes and in the menus. Barely noticeable, nothing major at all. There is also (sometimes) a thin black strip during cutscenes. Again, nothing major, although a little more noticeable. Everything else works like a champ.
Even though technically it's not perfect, I will still give it the perfect rating because the issues aren't anything to worry about.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Some slight sound bugs. They aren't major and not exactly annoying to a point where you would quit, they also don't happen constantly, but they do happen. Some slight dips in the frame-rate every once in a while too. Again, nothing major... except when the levels open up. The more open, the worse the frame-rate. When you turn off the flashlight it runs smooth again though. Anyway, I would consider this to be definitely playable, but there are also quite a few issues, so I'll rate it "somewhat playable".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Silent Hill 2

Very very minor graphical glitches, barely noticeable. There seems to be a very slight micro-stutters every once in a while. Maybe I'm just imagining it. lol
Game runs very good. Sits somewhere in between "perfect" and "almost perfect", depending on whether the stutter is real or not. Right now it sits at "almost perfect", but I am pretty sure most won't recognize any stutter.. so yeah.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Silent Hill 3

The intro doesn't display properly. The music plays, but there is no video. Every other cutscene works flawless. It's just the intro (meaning the opening when starting the game, before the main menu). This game looks fucking amazing. How can a PS2 game look this good? Holy shit. Ah, there are also some very very small sound bugs, nothing major and they happen very rarely. Just like SH2, it sits somewhere in between "perfect" and "almost perfect", although I couldn't notice any stutter here. Both SH 2 and SH3 are perfectly playable emulated. The issues aren't anything major. Meet me at a good day and I'd rate them with the "perfect"-rating.
Rating: "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Magic Pengel: The Quest for Color

There can be quite a bit of slowdown, for the most part it seems to work fine though. Outside of the slowdowns, there isn't anything wrong with it. The slowdowns can be annoying, but I think this game is playable enough to be enjoyed as the slowdowns don't happen during battle and while creating doodle's (basically Pokemon), which is the main part of the game. They mostly happen during (in-game)cutscenes. It sits somewhere between "almost perfect" and "somewhat playable". I'll rate it with "somewhat playable".
Totally playable, but I think the slowdown happens to frequently for a higher rating. It's close though. Seems a bit harsh, but I think occasional slowdown is worse than minor graphical glitches and minor sound bugs.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - CRT Geom Deluxe

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So PS2 is rock solid on XSS? I've been vacillating hard between it and a Steam Deck for PS2/Gamecube emulation.
Depends. Quite a lot of games run flawless or without any major issues, but there are also games that have more hard hitting issues, some that are unplayable and even some that won't even start at all (or crash).
You can look through my posts to get an idea of what is running and what isn't.

Beechos

The only experience I have with Retoarch is using the XMB interface on Vita. You can't just do that on XSS?
You can i just feel like its just alot more tedious with a controller so many menus, settings, things to possible scroll through. The steam deck also has the portability factor and the dock that supposed to come out later to connect to the tv.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Eternal Poison

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Tekken 5

If you play in 16:9 (it doesn't matter whether you have the widescreen patch on or not), you will get vertical thin black stripes on the screen. It's not as bad as it sounds, as they don't take away any visibility from you, but they are definitely noticeable.
You can get rid this problem, by playing in 4:3. Thats also the only issue I could find. When playing in 4:3 the rating is perfect, when playing in 16:9 the rating is "almost perfect".

It's not the aspect ratio that causes the issue. It's the resolution. If you don't want those black thin vertical stripes, you have to play in native resolution. The other settings can be changed.
Rating stays the same ("perfect" or "almost perfect" depending on your preferences). You have to decide whether you can live with those stripes or not. I don't think they are a big deal, but they are definitely clearly visible and may or may not hamper your experience. I'd say try it out. If this doesn't bother you, you can play in higher resolutions. If this does bother you, you have to play in native resolution. Pick your poison.

Settings:
Resolution native
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Aspect ratio: 16:9

---

Under the Skin

Perfect

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Urban Reign

Just like Tekken 5, when playing at a higher resolution than native there will be thin black vertical stripes across the screen and in this case even some minor graphical glitches. Play in native to get rid of it. One graphical glitch remains though, which is a short flashing screen when finishing a match/level. Nothing major though and easy to ignore.
Rating: "perfect" or "almost perfect" depending on your preferences, see the Tekken 5 rating for reference.

Settings:
Resolution native
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Aspect ratio: 16:9

---

Test Drive Overdrive - The Brotherhood of Speed

What a weird fucking name. In the US this is simply called Test Drive, and while that's like the 7th game in the series by that point, it's still a better name than the European version. Wasn't Test Drive Overdrive enough?
Anyway. There are several graphical glitches. I think the lights from your car look off, there are a few issues with how the shadows are displayed, nothing to major. What is somewhat major though are the menus. When you go to the quick menu during a race, there isn't any text in the boxes. So you either have to figure this out by trial and error or watch a video and write it down. It definitely an annoying issue... but the main game runs fine and it's absolutely playable. You have to ask yourself if the game is worth the hassle. In my opinion it isn't. It's not bad, just incredibly mediocre. As far as my rating goes, this sits somewhere in between "somewhat playable" and "almost perfect". I tend to the later, because while the thing with the menus is annoying, it's not that big of deal. You just have to figure out how to restart a race essentially. Everything else can be done in the main menu, which works like it should.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---
Rumble Racing

What is a great racing game however, especially compared to TD Overdrive, is Rumble Racing. Yeah, the rubber banding is a little annoying, but it's incredibly fun otherwise. It also runs great. The only issue I could find, is that the shadow of your car is displayed wrong and a little jittery. Nothing major though and easy to ignore which is why this game receives the "perfect" rating, despite not being 100% perfect technically. Everything else runs like a champ.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Colin McRae Rally 3

Very playable when you're driving in the interior view. The outside view where can see the car is greatly hampered by poor frame rate. It's "somewhat playable", but definitely not a good way of playing the game.
Set the resolution on native and play in 4:3 for best performance. This also gets rid of graphical glitches and those weird stripes across the screen.
If you only want to drive using the interior view (given that this is a rally game this may be an option), you can give it a try though. Otherwise skip this one.

Settings:
Resolution native
FXAA off
no anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Outrun 2 SP

Another racing game with frame rate issues. For the best performance use standard settings, so no anisotropic filtering, no widescreen patch, aspect ratio 4:3, no FXAA, resolution native. Also, playing in the interior view will improve the frame rate a lot. Still not perfect, but playable. Rating: "somewhat playable". It plays better than Colin McRare Rally 3, but not good enough for a better rating.

---

Gran Turismo 4

To my surprise, this one runs very well. I think I've noticed some micro stutters every once in a while, but nothing all too bad, especially compared to Outrun and Colin McRally 3 the frame pacing is much better. Visually it scales up nicely, but there is a lot of flicker on some objects. Anyway, this runs well and is very playable. You should however set up the controls for this game, because you don't want to play this without analog input and because Sony implemented those stupid analog face buttons (which the Xbox doesn't have), you have to try it out what works best for you (not sure if it is possible to recreate those analog face buttons...). Rating: "almost perfect".

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Need for Speed Underground

This fits right there with most of the other racing games I've tried. Quite a bit of slowdown (in this case the frame rate is especially choppy when enemy drivers are nearby, when you're first place it's fine), frame rate is a lot smoother when played in the interior view (don't even attempt the outside view), using standard settings improves performance. There are also very minor graphical glitches, but they are barely noticeable. It's the choppy frame rate that pulls it down. Playable, but definitely not ideal. Rating: "somewhat playable".

---

Ratchet & Clank 3

Frame rate can be choppy. When the frame rate becomes choppy, the sound becomes choppy as well. For best performance play in standard settings. Sits somewhere between "almost perfect" and "somewhat playable", but I tend more to "somewhat playable". Despite the choppyness, the game is still very playable, much more playable than Kya for example. While Kya has a smoother frame rate, the visuals are very glitchy to a point where it becomes tiring for the eyes. In R&C3 the visuals are very good. I'd say, give it a try and see if you can play it like this. I'd rather play R&C3 with a choppy frame rate than Need for Speed, that's for sure.

---

Sly Cooper 1

Just like R&C3 the frame rate can be choppy and for the best performance you should play with standard settings. I think this game is a little bit choppier than R&C3 though. Anyway, my rating is "somewhat playable".

---

Odin Sphere

Perfect
. Couldn't make out anything wrong with it. However, I highly recommend playing it in 4:3, because when playing it in 16:9 there will be some visual issues. No glitches, but it looks very off. Play it in 4:3 to avoid this and you will have a great time.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA
Aspect ratio: 4:3

---

Gungrave

Very very few graphical glitches, and they are barely noticeable. No issues otherwise. Runs very smooth. Deserving of a "perfect" rating as the issues are minuscule and easy to ignore. Some probably won't even recognize them.

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

---

Dirge of Cerberus

Audio and frame rate can be quite choppy. Best performance with standard settings. Rating: "somewhat playable".

---

Devil Kings

Settings:
Resolution at 1080p
FXAA on
8x anisotropic filtering
Shader - advanced AA

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I am out of PS2 games to test. If you want me to test a specific game, tell me which one it is and I will most likely check it out.

RAIDEN1

On this thread because I am wondering if anyone can help with this query, I downloaded the Dolphin emulator for the Series X, followed as close to as possible the video tutorial(s) on how to install in on the Xbox, but the problem I am getting is, neither Wave Race (game cube edition) or F-Zero for the gamecube work at all...(Wave Race does but is very "jumpy" in game, meaning there is no stability on the in game screen and I don't know why)....where as Mario Kart for the cube and tennis work but for some reason no matter what changes I make as mentioned in the video guide(s) the game doesn't become full-screen and just remains with its borders down its sides....no performance issues with those 2 games so far...but I am not sure what is causing it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom