• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Live Free to Play Paywall is Gone

ManaByte

Microsoft just took a huge step to make games on Xbox consoles more accessible. People no longer need Xbox Live Gold for free-to-play games on Xbox consoles, including the Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S. You also won't need an Xbox Live Gold subscription for free-to-play games on older hardware like the Xbox One S and original Xbox One.

Alongside dropping the requirement to have Xbox Live Gold to play free-to-play games, Microsoft also removed the requirement to have Xbox Live Gold to look for Groups and Party Chats.

Ceadeus

It's really cool because sometime I have sudden urge to play f2p stuff on Xbox but let it die because of gold paywall.

levyjl1988

Banned
My Xbox live expired, I guess I can hop in a match or 2 with my friend to play Destiny 2 without committing to Gold, I never really used it. I've been playing with my Switch most of the time...

doubt they will get more then 30 mil full paying subs this gen, they are betting on cloud gaming, which won't take off, they need better games, and they need to bring back xbox exclusives if are going to make a dent on Nintendo and playstation.

doubt they will get more then 30 mil full paying subs this gen, they are betting on cloud gaming, which won't take off, they need better games, and they need to bring back xbox exclusives if are going to make a dent on Nintendo and playstation.
Don't they already have that many Inc with gamepass ultimate

Aion002

Is FFXIV F2P now?
Kinda... There's a trial that gives access to almost everything (up to Heavensward) without time restrictions.

The thing is that on Playstation you don't need to have plus to play pay to play games. So you can play FFXIV without having a Ps Plus...

Now on Xbox, it's probably the same thing... Meaning that if FFXIV is released on Xbox, it won't need Gold.

LMJ

About damn time MS did this, the irony of a free to play title requiring pay (Gold) was just laughable I imagine Sony and P.C swayed them on this lol

You've earned a golf clap for doing the right thing MS

Charlie Sheen Applause GIF

Faithless83

Banned
Kinda... There's a trial that gives access to almost everything (up to Heavensward) without time restrictions.

The thing is that on Playstation you don't need to have plus to play pay to play games. So you can play FFXIV without having a Ps Plus...

Now on Xbox, it's probably the same thing... Meaning that if FFXIV is released on Xbox, it won't need Gold.
Interesting, thanks!

Top Bottom