• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox + Bethesda 2021 E3 Showcase & Discussion Thread

How many games will they show at Xbox E3 2021?

• 20 games

Votes: 80 31.9%
  • 35 games

Votes: 48 19.1%
  • 50 games

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • 60 games (same as 2019)

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • 85 games

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • 100 games

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Over 100 games

Votes: 72 28.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This. Only PS fans could call this a weak E3. Imagine Sony selling nearlly 30 games all coming out within the next 16 months for $6 and calling it 'weak'
It’s not like all of those 30 games are great AAA games. Quality over quantity maybe? Also, last gen PlayStation had more than 4000 games, and MS a little over 1000. So MS loses in both quantity and quality.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Decent show, but too little actual gameplay footage and very obviously a GamePass showcase (as I expected).

Not enough to convert me, but a solid enough line-up on GP.

Honest truth though, its still another Xbox year headlined by Forza and Halo, franchises that if I cared about, would have bought into long ago. And were that the case I'd have probably bought a console for by now. So really not sure how many new subs this lineup will pull in.

Maybe next year.

This. Only PS fans could call this a weak E3. Imagine Sony selling nearlly 30 games all coming out within the next 16 months for $6 and calling it 'weak'
Only an xbox fan would watch that and think it was great, it was a mediocre show that had no excuse to be that. I own a series x and this didn't give me anything to be excited about other than the Ascent which I already was (and can get on PS5 later) and a couple of indie games that look interesting. MS 1st party stuff is just the same old thing and I'm sorry but Bethesda didn't show anything worth a damn today. A cinematic that was called gameplay and then a cull CGI trailer to announce a game that's a long way off.

Naked Lunch

It is a red flag. Starfield gets an exact release date 18 months from now, and Halo can't nail a date five months from now? Fearing something's afoot in the house of Chief.
Its possible the Halo multiplayer might launch before the campaign. Maybe thats the reason for the vague release. I would be ok with this.

DaGwaphics

Or PS5/PC.... honestly if they actually do release most if not all games on PC too..I dont know why anyone would honestly get an X over a PC tbh. Im going to be in the PS5/Switch/PC camp. Need to upgrade and build a new PC as im due for another build, have switch already, and will buy a PS5 when I can find one more available

An Xbox is $300/$500, a serviceable PC is $1k+. Affordability and ease of use have always been the primary reasons to buy a console.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Its possible the Halo multiplayer might launch before the campaign. Maybe thats the reason for the vague release. I would be ok with this.
I hadn’t considered that, actually. If it’s not their plan they may be considering it if one part falls behind; why delay multiplayer if it’s just the campaign that needs work.

TonyK

1st party is there forever.
Then Gamepass value is absurdly high. When I will buy a XBseX, even if I pay Gamepass during 5 years, it would be less than all the first party games I would buy at full price. My only concern it was if they would remove some of them with time.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Then Gamepass value is absurdly high. When I will buy a XBseX, even if I pay Gamepass during 5 years, it would be less than all the first party games I would buy at full price. My only concern it was if they would remove some of them with time.
5 years of Gamepass Ultimate, which if you want to play online is what you'd buy, is $900.

It's not really that cheap of a service at full price. A great value if you use it a ton, but that's the cost of a whole lot of games.

buenoblue

Very bad for me. Microsoft just has very little I'm interested in right now. I love Forza and I'm intrigued with starfield but that's about it. I'm all about high production single player games. Thank God for Sony.

DaGwaphics

5 years of Gamepass Ultimate, which if you want to play online is what you'd buy, is $900.

It's not really that cheap of a service at full price. A great value if you use it a ton, but that's the cost of a whole lot of games.

Can't really look at it as $900 for games, not if you would have spent $300 on Gold anyway (and if you don't want Gold GP is available without it). $600 is only 8.5 $70 games, and with MS targeting 4 releases a year, or 20 games in 5 years, that's not a bad value at all. Plus all the third party content they've got going.

Jigga117

How much is Disney+’ Netflix or buying all those same games even with discounts in the same 5 years? Get to calculating because that’s how silly this when it comes to any service. people bought DVDs for the cost of one month of Netflix and 1 Cd for the cost of Apple Music.

Last edited:
Alright let me go through these.

STALKER 2
- Hyped for it, but it's a third party game

Psychonauts 2
- I have no faith in Double Fine.

Starfield
- Could be cool, but Bethesda hasn't been good as of late. No gameplay in trailer leaves me lukewarm

Outer Worlds 2
- Making fun of CGI trailers doesn't make it OK to do one. OW1 was disappointing, so I'm not particularly hopeful about this one

Back 4 Blood
- Shitty studio trying to harken back to the only good thing they did. Looks to be an MTX-filled shitfest. Would rather play L4D2 with mods.

Redfall
- Left 4 Vampire. We really needed another shitty co-op shooter. Why would you have Arkane make this instead of something like Prey 2, Dishonored, etc? Trailer didn't give me any reason to care

Forza Horizon 5
- Looked amazing, but it's just another Forza game.

Halo Infinite
- Looked pretty sick, but my faith in 343i is zero so my hype is tempered. Definitely noticed improved lighting vs. the previous reveal.

Replaced
- Cool looking indie game. Will check out when it hits Game Pass.

A Plague Tale: Requiem
- I was iffy on the first game. Hopefully they make it play better. Will check it out when it hits Game Pass.

Atomic Heart
- This screams 10/10 premise, 6/10 game. Will check it out when it hits Game Pass.

Diablo 2: Resurrected
- Looks great. Third party game releasing on everything with a GPU, though.
So the only game you like is one that's on the platform you have. Shocker.

tmlDan

It was a great showing by Xbox! barely any solo story games but if they focus on social games im good with that, that makes them stand out against Sony where having both is the best of both worlds.

The end was terrible tho, a game coming out next year and only a CG trailer? I am assuming late 2022 then.

Last edited:

niilokin

thought this was a solid show, lots of good shit coming althought pretty far from now.

might actually play Halo for the first time after the first one :messenger_sunglasses: and Back4Blood looks cool.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not a single thing that excites me. Not a single megaton. Couldn't even show Halo's campaign.

Starfield was just a boring nothing.

I will buy Series X eventually but looks like not until 2023-24
Starfield could end up great. I personally like the aesthetic, and sci-fi always has potential for a great atmosphere, but yeah they showed nothing. Obviously we will see more, but it's a year and a half away.

I'll probably get XSX for Replaced next year. I was gonna do it for Flight Sim, but I just don't think I have the kind of time that game requires.

Is anybody else wondering why Arkane spent all that money on a 5 minute CGI trailer and couldn't show a lick of actual gameplay.
I’m used to it by now. Unfortunately, that’s a consistent and imo an annoying trend in this industry. Show high end CGI trailer and no actual gameplay to try to get people hyped up. Also, CGI generally indicates that the game is far off as well.

gow3isben

Starfield could end up great. I personally like the aesthetic, and sci-fi always has potential for a great atmosphere, but yeah they showed nothing. Obviously we will see more, but it's a year and a half away.

I'll probably get XSX for Replaced next year. I was gonna do it for Flight Sim, but I just don't think I have the kind of time that game requires.

It could but i wish they would show something of it besides this boring nothing that we got. It isn't even that far out anymore unless it gets delayed.

reksveks

I’m used to it by now. Unfortunately, that’s a consistent and imo an annoying trend in this industry. Show high end CGI trailer and no actual gameplay to try to get people hyped up. Also, CGI generally indicates that the game is far off as well.
Summer 22 so within the year

Dr Bass

It could but i wish they would show something of it besides this boring nothing that we got. It isn't even that far out anymore unless it gets delayed.
A year and a half is kind of a long time ... We are talking about it being on the doorstep of 2023.

But yeah there should be SOME gameplay to show. Can't disagree there.

Hezekiah

Banned
They are clearly trying to hide Halo still, "gameplay captured in engine" it didn't even say actual gameplay on xbox series x and it's not like it looked all that great anyway.

Starfield "gameplay" was a quick cinematic with NO gameplay lol.

Forza Horizon looks good but why show an "in engine" trailer that looks so much better than the actual gameplay just before?

Stalker 2 looks like what we knew it did

Battlefield gameplay was meh, I've lost almost all interest in this game.

Far Cry gameplay looks better than the cinematics, the faces look terrible in that game.

Some good looking indie style games coming with quite a few being launch exclusives like the ascent.
Halo is going to look shit graphically, people need to accept that. The contrast with 2042 will be stark.

Quite a lot of games I haven't heard of, but lots of 'B' releases to help fill out the GamePass catalogue. Never played a Forza game before, but might get Horizon on PC if it's any good.

Disappointing news about Starfield, but not surprising in the least. Can see it slipping to early 2023 realistically.

Stalker could be interesting.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
How much is Disney+’ Netflix or buying all those same games even with discounts in the same 5 years? Get to calculating because that’s how silly this when it comes to any service. people bought DVDs for the cost of one month of Netflix and 1 Cd for the cost of Apple Music.

Different industries; rather vapid comparison beyond "you pay a monthly fee and it's media."

Would you have actually spent $900 over the next 5 years to play the specific games offered on GamePass? That's the question.. and why wouldn't you spend that money? Likely because you didn't actually want to play all of the games.. nor did you necessarily have the need to play them day one when they are expensive, as you could be engulfed in another game for weeks, months, or even years at a time.

Like I said, the value is based on how much you actually would have spent on the games you wanted to play, or ended up liking that you might not have tried.

People often only play a game or 2 a year, because.. that's all they have time or interest for.. games are something people spend dozens of hours on, they aren't movies they watch once or twice.

And they generally choose those games they want to play.. not have a service choose the games for them, and games they want may never come to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom