• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World is Square - Crazy Slew of JRPGs in the upcoming year(s)

Labadal

I love Square Enix. I hate Sqaure Enix. Mostly love, with some hate.

For some time, they didn't have an output of JRPGs that I really cared for on home consoles. Their weakest period was during the PS3/360 era. The last released Final Fantasy I enjoyed was the 12th entry. 13 trilogy was a disappointment, 14 was okay, but I'm not into MMOs, and 15, I couldn't get into. Nier and The Last Remnant were the saving grace.

But they are slowly getting back to the company that I fell in love with. I enjoy most of their portable output, but I also enjoyed Dragon Quest XI and Heroes I & II. Romancing SaGa 3 Remaster and Trials of Mana Remake were great. SaGa: Scarlet Grace is one of my favorite JRPGs in recent years, and I have a soft spot for Octopath Traveler. I slightly prefer the first Nier to Nier: Automata, but that doesn't mean that I didn't have a great time with it. The World Ends With You on Nintendo Switch doesn't have great controls, but they actually bothered to port it. Final Fantasy VIIR might be great, I can't comment on it, as I'm waiting for all episodes before I play.

Anyway, they have improved their output, and what they have announced for the future looks really appealing to me. The games might turn out to be mediocre, but honestly? After the last two years, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

What can we expect in the next 1-3 years?
Bravely Default II (2021)
Dragon Quest XII (work has begun)
Final Fantasy XVI
NieR Replicant™ ver.1.22474487139... (2021)
Babylon's Fall
Project Athia
NEO: The World Ends with You (2021)
SaGa Frontier HD

And who knows what else. I can only dream of another SaGa game. There is a collection coming out, after all. They seem to have improved their development process, so I hope that most games that get announced aren't 5 years away like we are used to.

Last edited:

Metnut

You’re not doing yourself any favors or proving anything by boycotting FF7Remake.

If you love Squaresoft, then you should play what’s likely their best output in near forever. Treat yourself. Enjoy the game and take it as an individual work of art rather than thinking about subsequent installments that are likely years away if they even ever come out.

The vast majority of people who got FF7R thought it was well worth their money and it’s selling at a solid discount now.

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget the new Shin Megami Tensei game as well as the Nocturne remake

***EDIT***

I totally missed the point about this being about SE games.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
FF7R doesn't count until it's complete. It's not complete right now because it's the first episode. And Square has proven they're not exactly competent enough to put those episodes out in a timely manner.

Only when the story is complete and they've proven they won't butcher it can the game be considered an objective success.
Your opinion is valid, but have you played the game?

Seems like everyone saying "this game isn't complete" haven't played it. It's absolutely a complete game, and even if we never see chapter 2 (as disappointing as that would be) I feel like it delivered. It's a complete story on it's own. Your opinion is like saying "I refuse to enjoy Terminator 2: Judgement Day until after the next reboot / sequel to Terminator: Dark Fate releases".

The game is actually a pseudo-sequel to the original.

Aerith (and possibly Sephiroth) have traveled back in time or to an alternate timeline, to change the events that took place in the original game.

Kimahri

Banned
You’re not doing yourself any favors or proving anything by boycotting FF7Remake.

If you love Squaresoft, then you should play what’s likely their best output in near forever. Treat yourself. Enjoy the game and take it as an individual work of art rather than thinking about subsequent installments that are likely years away if they even ever come out.

The vast majority of people who got FF7R thought it was well worth their money and it’s selling at a solid discount now.
Trials of Mana was better.

johntown

Banned
Does FF7 Remake run at 60fps on PS5? I have been waiting to play it and now have a chance. I refused to play on my base PS4 and was going to hold out for a PC release.

FFXVI didn't really grab me from what I saw but I like all the FF games regardless so I'm sure it will be good (enough for me).

Hoping for some new IP with more a more sci fi dystopian future story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does FF7 Remake run at 60fps on PS5? I have been waiting to play it and now have a chance. I refused to play on my base PS4 and was going to hold out for a PC release.
Sadly, the game is still locked to 30fps.

jshackles

Isa

Gold Member
I'm loving DQ XI, what ones should I play after it?

VIII at least I presume?
I'd say its fairly similar in what you can expect in terms of the more modern side of the series, its a damn fine game. I love them all though, especially the first 4, with 1-3 holding a special place in my heart.

I agree OP, its nice to see them get back on track to a more consistent output in terms of quality. They may make some missteps, several of which I feel shows they still don't entirely get what it is the (oldschool)fans want or are still torn in regards to expanding their accessibility and appeal. Probably both. Apart from Nier and Trials of Mana I've actually enjoyed other publishers games more which I find reassuring. Among my favorites lately are Sega/Atlus, Falcom and Tecmo Koei. Hell I know I've been harping on it for some time now but my time with Yakuza Like a Dragon has been better than the last several Final Fantasies. And its turn based! Go fuckin' figure. It helps that the story is well written, acted, and is actually coherent. Despite my ragging on them though, I still hold out some hope for Squeenix. I'll be playing DQXI S as soon as its DL'd on my PS5, and I've also got that Nier remaster pre-ordered too. Next year is looking good for us Jrpg fans.

Fbh

Not too excited about this list.
I'm cautiously optimistic about Final Fantasy XVI since it seems to be further along than expected and it seems like they'll finally stop focusing so much on the visuals. And Nier is probably going to be great though that's more of a remaster.

But as far as upcoming JRPG's go so far I'm more interested in Granblue Fantasy Relink, SMTV and Tales of Arise and (though still far of) Eiyuden Chronicle

Belmonte

I got a lot more hyped for FFXVI when I knew Ryota Suzuki (DMCV and Dragon's Dogma designer) is working in the battle system. I hoped for turn based or at least a real time with pause system, like FFXII, but this is the second best thing.

And obviously, I'm always ready for Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Huge Squaresoft fan back in the day. Xenogears and FFVI are still two of my favorite games of all time. In recent years though, their JRPGs have not really clicked with me. DQ XI, FFVII-R, FFXV, KHIII were all good, but not great IMO. Currently, my two favorite JRPG franchises are Persona and The Legend of Heroes.

Labadal

I don't disagree that there are other great games coming! Ys IX, Eyiuden Chronicles, Tales of Arise, SMT V and hopefully P5 Scramble are just some of the games that I am looking forward to.

Falcom, Atlus and Koei are doing fine in my books.

Apropos Koei, I want Dragon Quest Heroes 3.

I wonder what Tri-Ace are up to, and I wonder if we'll see a new Mana game.

Either way, I'm excited about the future. I'm also curious about the new Yakuza game and God Wars 2.

Kev Kev

If you wait for FFVIIr remake to release all episodes, then you’ll have like 200+ hours of ffvii to play lol. You’re better off just playing one episode at a time

NahaNago

I love Square Enix. I hate Sqaure Enix. Mostly love, with some hate.

For some time, they didn't have an output of JRPGs that I really cared for on home consoles. Their weakest period was during the PS3/360 era. The last released Final Fantasy I enjoyed was the 12th entry. 13 trilogy was a disappointment, 14 was okay, but I'm not into MMOs, and 15, I couldn't get into. Nier and The Last Remnant were the saving grace.

But they are slowly getting back to the company that I fell in love with. I enjoy most of their portable output, but I also enjoyed Dragon Quest XI and Heroes I & II. Romancing SaGa 3 Remaster and Trials of Mana Remake were great. SaGa: Scarlet Grace is one of my favorite JRPGs in recent years, and I have a soft spot for Octopath Traveler. I slightly prefer the first Nier to Nier: Automata, but that doesn't mean that I didn't have a great time with it. The World Ends With You on Nintendo Switch doesn't have great controls, but they actually bothered to port it. Final Fantasy VIIR might be great, I can't comment on it, as I'm waiting for all episodes before I play.

Anyway, they have improved their output, and what they have announced for the future looks really appealing to me. The games might turn out to be mediocre, but honestly? After the last two years, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Concerning Final Fantasy I pretty much match how you feel on the love/hate relationship and the output of games they've released. I honestly still haven't finished FF15 and FF7 has pretty much been a complete disappointment from what I have played. I've pretty much given up on squareenix. I'm only interested in them because of nostalgia from the ps1 era and FFX.

Hudo

FF7R doesn't count until it's complete. It's not complete right now because it's the first episode. And Square has proven they're not exactly competent enough to put those episodes out in a timely manner.

Only when the story is complete and they've proven they won't butcher it can the game be considered an objective success.
Be careful with that statement on GAF. I once voiced a similar opinion to yours and people were offended.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

I refuse to play it until it is complete.

I'm 29 y/o. Hope I live long enough. :^]

Synless

How did they prove they are incompetent on releasing them in a timely manner?

Final Fantasy XIII (2009)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

Final Fantasy XIV (2013)
Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward (2015)
Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood (2017)
Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringer (2019)

I’m pretty confident you are talking out of your ass. No evidence they won’t release it timely.

Graciaus

How did they prove they are incompetent on releasing them in a timely manner?

Final Fantasy XIII (2009)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

Final Fantasy XIV (2013)
Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward (2015)
Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood (2017)
Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringer (2019)

I’m pretty confident you are talking out of your ass. No evidence they won’t release it timely.
2005 - Tech demo
2015 - Actually announced
2020 - Released (part 1/3 of a 23 year old game)

Synless

2005 - Tech demo
2015 - Actually announced
2020 - Released (part 1/3 of a 23 year old game)
Ok, first the 2005 tech demo was just that... a tech demo. By your logic FF8 remake will be several decades old because of it PS2 tech demo. The best you have is 2015 to 2020 for the release of the first part, which is a full game the way they intended it to be. The release of subsequent parts has no relation to that, in any way.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Im excited for all of them, and I’m super excited for SaGa Frontier HD coz it has Fuse (a new character who was initially cut) and restoration of the cut content.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As far as I’m concerned they can cancel everything else and put all their resources into FF7R part 2 and FF14. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.

Boss Mog

I may still play it anyway but good to know. Thanks
They will most likely be releasing a PS5 version (along with PC and XBOX) so that all the episodes can be found on a single platform; that version should be 60fps or at least give you the option.

Why did these cunts let Matsuno go. I'm playing Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. It's fucking amazing.

Also the Enix side is the one carrying, Yoshi-P and Yuji Horii in particular.
You can't really stop someone who wants to resign, can you?

Speaking of which, Archipel just released a video about Isamu Kamikokuryo, a lesser known artist who worked on FFX, XII, XIII and XV.

He too quit Square. I guess there comes a point where these people don't want to stay full-time employees forever and want to chill for a bit and try new things. He also mentions Matsuno and Yoshida with admiration.

Last edited:

Lethal01

This is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while.
It's like saying Kingsman 1 isn't compelte and can't be judged because 3 has came out
Or saying Mandalorian season 1 isn't done because you are waiting for season 6.

Top Bottom