• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful World of Books - The Unofficial BookGAF OT

Saw this on my Kindle today. I pre-ordered all of Brandon Sanderson Cosmere Secret Project books. This is the first book. It's about 480 pages and I'm about 150 pages into it. It's a fun read so far. The world is interesting and the cast is good. The plot is simple but that's not a bad thing. I might be able to finish this by Thursday night.

uJh1zc5.jpg

Finished

Tress of The Emerald Sea: A+

A great addition to the Cosmere. The world is really interesting and unique. I really thought the twist at the end was well done. The illustrations were very detailed and expressive. The magic system was interesting. Overall it was a fantastic ride.

Next up is the The Three-Body Problem Trilogy

Ts2MPbM.jpg

Lasha

I just finished Peter Hamilton's Salvation sequence. I'm working through four issues of the New Yorker that I missed while travelling. My next book is a look at the state of modern chess called "Chessays".

Fbh

Have been reading through the Red Rising saga, just finished the second book yesterday.
Really enjoying it so far. Wasn't initially sold on the first book as it's a bit derivative and uses several YA novel tropes (Battle Royale setting, teenage protagonist, fighting the authoritarian dystopian society), but ultimately really enjoyed it due to its compelling characters and nice pace.
The second book though was great all the way through, the author expands the scope and the series finds more of its own identity. It's a real page turner too, the author is great at subverting expectations so you are never quite sure what's coming, but it's always done in a logical way rather than just for the sake of it. And I can't stress enough how nice the pacing flows, as much as I like authors like Brandon Sanderson I always feel like his books are a bit slow and bloated, this one feels like it does nearly as much storytelling in half the amount of pages.

G-Bus

Banned
Determined to read a bunch of books this year. Don't really have a specific taste. Just read what I find interesting at the time.

Just finished On the Beach by Nevil Shute.
Never would have expected to be into a book like this but here we are. I did leave it for a while halfway. Ended up enjoying it.

Finished

Tress of The Emerald Sea: A+

A great addition to the Cosmere. The world is really interesting and unique. I really thought the twist at the end was well done. The illustrations were very detailed and expressive. The magic system was interesting. Overall it was a fantastic ride.

Next up is the The Three-Body Problem Trilogy

Ts2MPbM.jpg

Yes. Read the 3 body problem last year and was blown away. Think I read it in a few days. Couldn't put the darn thing down. Bought the trilogy right after and read a bit of the dark forest then just... Yea.

Anywho. Started it again. Still remember most of the first so jumped right into the dark forest yesterday. Really enjoying it again.

Determined to read a bunch of books this year. Don't really have a specific taste. Just read what I find interesting at the time.

Never would have expected to be into a book like this but here we are. I did leave it for a while halfway. Ended up enjoying it.

Yes. Read the 3 body problem last year and was blown away. Think I read it in a few days. Couldn't put the darn thing down. Bought the trilogy right after and read a bit of the dark forest then just... Yea.

Anywho. Started it again. Still remember most of the first so jumped right into the dark forest yesterday. Really enjoying it again.

I'm around 58 pages in. It's a interesting read so far. Hasn't really grabbed me yet

Lasha

Why didn't you like dark forest? It's the best one of the series except for the existential crisis and urge to end one's life that comes after thinking about the themes too much. The third book becomes too crazy though.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Have been reading through the Red Rising saga, just finished the second book yesterday.
Really enjoying it so far. Wasn't initially sold on the first book as it's a bit derivative and uses several YA novel tropes (Battle Royale setting, teenage protagonist, fighting the authoritarian dystopian society), but ultimately really enjoyed it due to its compelling characters and nice pace.
The second book though was great all the way through, the author expands the scope and the series finds more of its own identity. It's a real page turner too, the author is great at subverting expectations so you are never quite sure what's coming, but it's always done in a logical way rather than just for the sake of it. And I can't stress enough how nice the pacing flows, as much as I like authors like Brandon Sanderson I always feel like his books are a bit slow and bloated, this one feels like it does nearly as much storytelling in half the amount of pages.

I'm a huge fan of the Red Rising saga and glad to see other people getting into it.

Book 3, Morning Star, is simply incredible. It has, without a doubt, some of the greatest and most intense action scenes I've ever had the joy of reading. Iron Gold, slows the pace down, but for obvious reasons that'll become clear once you're done with book 3 and Dark Age just ramps up the intensity again.

Lightbringer is out this year and is easily my most anticipated fiction book for 2023. It can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: Fbh

G-Bus

Banned
Why didn't you like dark forest? It's the best one of the series except for the existential crisis and urge to end one's life that comes after thinking about the themes too much. The third book becomes too crazy though.

I think going from the first into the second book right away burnt me out a little bit. Doesn't help that the first part is a bit of a slog at times.

Finished that last night and now I'm at part 2. Can feel it's about to pick up now. Still all very interesting at least.

Yea I've seen online that the 3rd book gets crazy. I thought the Sophons we're kind of nuts so I'm curious to see where this all goes.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I made a point a few weeks back to read at least 20 pages a day no matter what, same as practicing piano.

So I got a few books for pennies on Abebooks and got to work.

Read French biography of Martha Argerich.
Now reading 26 Marathons by Meb Keflezighi.

Just finished the first book of the Faded Sun trilogy by C. J. Cherryh, and the similarities to the Mandalorian are really close. I’d have a hard time believing it wasn’t a major influence; The main character is in a warrior caste that has to shroud himself in front of outsiders, his species is routinely hired as mercenaries, he is adept in his species specific weapons (which are held as sacred) but can adapt to others, and has this really rigid code and sense of honour that he can’t break…the similarities go quite a lot further than that but it would start getting pretty spoilery.

It’s an odd book in that it takes an alien perspective on humans, as well as showing human reactions to aliens. The Mandalorian borrowing as much as it did probably made it the series it was. Even more so than ‘Hidden Fortress’, was to the original Star Wars.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm making an attempt to get back into reading. In recent years, I'm probably averaging just a couple of novels or biographies a year and that just isn't going to cut it. I'm on a computer all day for work, then video games as a hobby plus dicking around on my phone or tablet - I'm overdue for a more old-fashioned means of mental stimulation.

So yeah, I read about 50 pages of Slaughterhouse 5 and I'm enjoying it so far. I was going to go with The Count of Monte Cristo like OP but the length put me off. I'll have to ease into that one as I get back into the hobby.

Lasha

I'm making an attempt to get back into reading. In recent years, I'm probably averaging just a couple of novels or biographies a year and that just isn't going to cut it. I'm on a computer all day for work, then video games as a hobby plus dicking around on my phone or tablet - I'm overdue for a more old-fashioned means of mental stimulation.

So yeah, I read about 50 pages of Slaughterhouse 5 and I'm enjoying it so far. I was going to go with The Count of Monte Cristo like OP but the length put me off. I'll have to ease into that one as I get back into the hobby.

Length should never deter you from a good book. Experiencing a story at your own pace is one of the biggest pleasures of reading. There is a specific part of Monte Cristo where I always need to find a quiet place to let the words wash over me because of the moments impact.

My kindergartner started reading 1-2 pages of LotR per day. My eldest did the same and now he reads chapters of books at a time. Reading is an essential life skill and not just a hobby. Treat it like any other act of personal maintenance and you will be surprised at how quickly you improve.

Jsisto

The Count of Monte Cristo is in my collection, to be read one day. Glad to hear it lived up to the hype for you.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Length should never deter you from a good book. Experiencing a story at your own pace is one of the biggest pleasures of reading. There is a specific part of Monte Cristo where I always need to find a quiet place to let the words wash over me because of the moments impact.

My kindergartner started reading 1-2 pages of LotR per day. My eldest did the same and now he reads chapters of books at a time. Reading is an essential life skill and not just a hobby. Treat it like any other act of personal maintenance and you will be surprised at how quickly you improve.
Yes, I understand reading is an essential skill but in the context to which I was referring (something I choose to do in my leisure in lieu of other things), I would consider it a hobby...though one capable of a profound impact that everyone should should partake in, sure.

I will be reading Monte Cristo, I just wanted something more palatable (time-wise) to get me back in the routine. I'm certainly no stranger to long books.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Penguin gives you about $2.50 towards a free book for each book that you buy from them and register on their website.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Finished reading 26 Marathons by Meb Keflezighi. A little bit light on any deep insights but an enjoyable read nevertheless.

Now reading How Bad You Want It? to prep for the pain of running a marathon, much better book but also heavier - puts much more emphasis on science and the role of the brain in endurance sports. As they say "training is 90% body, 10% mind, race day is 90% mind, 10% body".

Rest

Haha

I am French so in college/highschool "french class" was mainly text/book analysis and I was extremely reluctant to that. So it didn't really gave me the will to read the classics.

And from the title, it really sounded not much interesting to me (I know it's stupid to judge a book by its title). It gave me vibes of my years in french class in college/highschool.
There was a lot of fuss about it in France around 1998 because there was a TV adaptation with a famous french actor (Gérard Depardieu). But I was still young (11) so I didn't pay attention to it.

Glad I finally read it. I might look at this TV adaptation now.
The Count of Monte Cristo is based on the author's father, Alex Dumas. There's an English biography about him called "The Black Count," I highly recommend it. Alexandre Dumas also wrote the d'Artagnan Romances starting with The Three Musketeers, also well worth their reputation.

Rest

Currently reading The Charterhouse Of Parma.

2py0PnM.jpg

It’s known to be one of the best French novels of all time. My feelings on it are mixed so far (slightly less than 1/2 through the 500 pages).

The best way I can summarize this book would be to say, it’s entirely inconsequential. The characters are only mildly interesting, and plot twists occur which can be fun, but amongst this are these long, strange expositions on ENTIRELY boring political maneuvers in the court. To be fair, the book is highly political, but these aren’t the interesting parts of the book.

I’m debating whether to finish it. I’m not really enjoying it, but I’ve already invested a lot of time into it.

What is everyone’s rule here on books they aren’t necessarily enjoying? Do they give them up? Or stick it out?
I recently read "The Sun Also Rises," I felt it was fun but not particularly good. I felt like you do about that one, that the characters were not particularly substantial and that the plot was nothing special, then I got to the end. The purpose of the story comes out during the ending, and the last line of the book very truly brings it up to the level of its reputation. I'd day give that book the chance to surprise you.

Mr Blobby

almost finished A Confederate General from Big Sur. Love the candor of his style and the humor Brautigan finds in the everyday. Trout Fishing in America is also amazing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have not read the Harry Potter books since... they first came out? I remember my grandmother bought me the first book and I read each one ever since. Going to start reading them again while I play Hogwarts Legacy.

I have not read the Harry Potter books since... they first came out? I remember my grandmother bought me the first book and I read each one ever since. Going to start reading them again while I play Hogwarts Legacy.
It came out late 97, and I remember the original book and really came off feeling like I was reading Raold Dahl (but not totally in a bad way).

Last edited:
Three Body Problem is magnificent and I’m so glad we managed to get it translated and published in the West. I’m not so sure the CCP would allow that today.

It’s Spring so it’s time for my annual reading of Sanshiro.

Ballthyrm

There is a couple of SF books that are like that to me.
  • House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
  • Blindsight by Peter Watts
  • Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
  • Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

Drake

So I've started reading again the 2 months or so and I've just been devouring stuff. It's been great I'm working on 3 different series right now, but I switch between them, so I don't get burnt out. I've read the first 4 books of the Cotton Malone series, the first 2 books of the Sigma Force series and I'm currently reading book 1 of Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series. Grail Quest is completely different than what I thought it was gonna be, but still awesome.

Stuff I want to read after I finish what I'm working on:
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Ken Follet's Kingsbridge series
The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Conrwell
Re-read all of the Dresdan Files. I've read everything up to book 15 years ago, but completely forgot the plot. Those books were quite enjoyable and I really enjoy Butcher's writing style, so I'm looking forever to diving back into those.

Finished Yumi And The Nightmare Painter by Brandon Sanderson

Another great Cosmere yarn. I really enjoyed how everything came together at the end. There was so many twists and turns in the plot that waz surprising. Has fantastic world building with another unique and interesting world. Overall I give this book an A

Going back to reading The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time Book 2) by Robert Jordan

The rest of the books I'm gonna to try to read this year

Bobby Dollar Trilogy
(TAD Williams)

The King of Yellow
(Robert W Chambers)

The Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice And Men
East of Eden
(John Steinbeck)

Christine
(Stephen King)

Last edited:
That one of the books he committed to on his kickstarter? Guy is a damned LEGEND for that move. Massive middle finger to anyone moaning that the Corps got their boot on their neck.

He's eventually gonna license his IP out for ALL the monies.

Yeah that's one of the books

So far his Kickstarter books have been great

I'm a huge fan of Sanderson and I hope more authors start doing what he did now that he paved the way. Since giving these Book Publishers competition is good.

I can't wait for Secret Project 4 and Stormlight 5

This guy is a beast when it comes to writing. He always writes and is on time.

There's a meme about Sanderson:

Typewriter goes brrrrrr

SpiceRacz

Read through "Tremendous", Joey Diaz's autobiography. If you've listened to him on podcasts, you'll recognize some of the stories here. Worth a read if you're a fan. About to start Artie Lange's autobiography - "Too Fat to Fish."

Also finished Killers of The Flower Moon in preparation for the film. It's pretty disturbing, but hard to put down. It's going to make for a great film and if anyone will do that story justice, it's Scorsese.

VitaNostra_HC-678x1024-1.jpg

I really liked this one. It was on my radar because it was described as "Russian psychonautical Harry Potter", and that's what it is. Really inventive magic system that I hadn't seen before. It's very "Young Adult" in the writing style, but hits on a few subjects that make it at least PG-13. There's a direct sequel, and it was meant to be a trilogy, but the husband of the husband/wife writing team passed away, so we may never get the third. Not planning on reading the sequel, which apparently doesn't do much that this first one didn't. That's ok, because I thought the ending to this book stands on its own.

So I've started reading again the 2 months or so and I've just been devouring stuff. It's been great I'm working on 3 different series right now, but I switch between them, so I don't get burnt out. I've read the first 4 books of the Cotton Malone series, the first 2 books of the Sigma Force series and I'm currently reading book 1 of Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest series. Grail Quest is completely different than what I thought it was gonna be, but still awesome.

Stuff I want to read after I finish what I'm working on:
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Ken Follet's Kingsbridge series
The Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Conrwell
Re-read all of the Dresdan Files. I've read everything up to book 15 years ago, but completely forgot the plot. Those books were quite enjoyable and I really enjoy Butcher's writing style, so I'm looking forever to diving back into those.
The Warlord Chronicles is the best series involving king Arthur I've ever read. What subverted your expectations about grail quest and should I pick it up?

Drake

The Warlord Chronicles is the best series involving king Arthur I've ever read. What subverted your expectations about grail quest and should I pick it up?
I'm almost done with book 2 and I'm still loving it. Honestly, going in I thought it was going to be a treasure hunting book set in the middle ages. Instead its a book about an English archer in the army during the 100 years war. The quest for the grail is definitely in there and its an overarching plot in the series, but its mostly about these big battles and the events leading up to them seen through the eyes of an English archer. I would definitely recommend it. I like Cornwell's style and after I finish this I'm definitely going to checkout The Warlord Chronicles.

I will say this though. There are a lot of battle scenes and they are long. I want to say the first 20-25% of book 2 was a battle between the English and the Scots. If that isn't your thing you may not like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom