• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Season 2 showrunner teases plotlines, talks timeline approach

netflixigazi-990x556-1.jpg

On the "controversial" split-timeline route of S1, and merging into S2

The filming of Netflix’s enormously popular The Witcher adaptation’s second season is soon to get back underway after being held up as a result of COVID-19. Earlier this week, showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich sat down with The Wrap to tease some of what fans can look forward to.

Most notably, the multiple timelines of the first season, which many fans lamented as being hard to understand, won’t be making a return. Hissrich described that aspect of season one as its “most controversial” feature, which we learn actually came as a bit of a surprise to her.

But telling stories across multiple timelines isn’t being ditched because of any backlash from fans. It’s simply a case of the three main character’s storylines all intersecting now into a single timeline.

“So what we’ll see in Season 2 is that all of our characters are existing on the same timeline,” Hissrich said. “What that allows us to do storywise though is to play with time in slightly different ways. We get to do flashbacks, we get to do flash-forwards, we get to actually integrate time in a completely different way that we weren’t able to do in Season 1.”

On some favorites we could see in S2

“I’m really excited to get back in and meet Vesemir, his father figure, for the first time and all of these men that he was raised with since he was seven years old,” she said.”

And now that Geralt and Ciri have finally reunited, it sounds as though we can look forward to both characters learning to cope with their new situation:

“Coming out of Season 1, you have a pretty good sense of who Ciri is, you have a pretty good sense of who Geralt is. And now we get to throw that all in a blender and see what happens when two people who are completely different have to be forced together in circumstances. And I think it’s really fun. It’s not always pretty. They will argue. They will fight. It will be two strangers coming together for the first time and being told, “Nope, you’re gonna be together forever.”

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
(multiple timelines being controversial) which we learn actually came as a bit of a surprise to her.

No fucking shit. That piece of shit changed completely short stories and pretty much fucked up lore because either she didn't actually read books in detail or just straight wanted GOT clone with extra gore and boobs killing main theme of witcher.

Gonna be fantastic watching her trying to cover plot holes she introduced in first season.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I liked the first episode, so, so much.

Everything after was mediocre - poor.

Please, take a look at what worked in that first episode and expand on it. Take a look at the rest of it, and burn it.

And never make a song that catchy again. My poor mind.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Cant wait for Season 2. :) I had a blast with Season 1.
No fucking shit. That piece of shit changed completely short stories and pretty much fucked up lore because either she didn't actually read books in detail or just straight wanted GOT clone with extra gore and boobs killing main theme of witcher.

Gonna be fantastic watching her trying to cover plot holes she introduced in first season.

GAF

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
To be fair, Dontero has been seething and on the verge of tears regarding The Witcher since January.

finowns

Cant wait for Season 2. :) I had a blast with Season 1.

Wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be but they could have made something really cool; entertaining but disappointing.

Although if people are looking for something to watch Alex Rider on Amazon prime was surprisingly good.

GreyHorace

“I’m really excited to get back in and meet Vesemir, his father figure, for the first time and all of these men that he was raised with since he was seven years old,” she said.”

And now that Geralt and Ciri have finally reunited, it sounds as though we can look forward to both characters learning to cope with their new situation:

Will someone give this stupid writer a recap of what happened last season? Geralt and Ciri were not reunited. They met for the first time in the Netflix series, unlike in the fucking books, where Geralt actually met Ciri when she was very young in Brokilon and had to leave her behind. They're reunited only by chance in the last short story Something More when Geralt all had given her up for dead and it's one of the more moving parts of the saga, something that the folks at CDProjekRed manage to capture but what the Netflix series fails at.

I'm mixed on the show since it does well in some areas (casting of Henry Cavill as Geralt and Anya Chalotra as Yennefer), but utterly fails at others (the scrapping of the short story format of the books in favor of some multiple timelines bullshit). I'm still looking forward towards the next season but I'm wary as to what changes they may introduce that may fuck up the story.

Dacon

Banned
I honestly don't really care. I didn't hate season 1, but the show felt super shallow, the plot wasn't all that gripping, I somehow found Yennefer even MORE annoying here than in the books and the games, and I just kinda like zoned out in the finale.

I think I'm gonna pass.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I honestly don't really care. I didn't hate season 1, but the show felt super shallow, the plot wasn't all that gripping, I somehow found Yennefer even MORE annoying here than in the books and the games, and I just kinda like zoned out in the finale.

I think I'm gonna pass.
Maybe they'll improve for season 2.

Top Bottom