• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Remake announced by CD Projekt

Mozzarella

Fantastic news, i am one of those who WATCHED the first Witcher game rather than play it, well i did try, i played it for 10 hours and then i quit and watched it, because the story was good but the gameplay was not good.
Now a remake that builds upon Witcher 3 and improves the strengths of the franchise could be very interesting.
Better combat, better boss fights. Better gameplay, better controls, better presentation, hopefully they can keep the strong atmosphere.
I'm sure it will be open world sadly, the first Witcher is semiopen world anyway, but this will be open so i hope they dont fill it with useless bloat and instead focus on making each chapter feel solid with content that is meaningful and unique.
There is no need for every freaking video game to be 100+ hour of open world gaming.

Braag

The game is quite dated, especially the combat. This is gonna take them a while. I hope they manage to keep the same atmosphere as the original which was quite unique.

It had the best combat, alchemy, interface, atmosphere and story. They're just going to mess it all up.
The swamp area is its only major issue, felt like the fucking 24 Hours of Le Mans every time I had to do some quests there.

I don't think this will be a direct remake. i think it'll incorporate some sort of large open world design similar to Witcher 3.

-Zelda-

Banned
I can think of very few games deserving and in need of a remake than The Witcher. Can't wait.
Same here. Matter of fact, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be
Xenosaga trilogy
first three Fatal Frame games
Skies of Arcadia legends
Onimusha 2 and 3
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn

Reactions: WoJ

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Very cool, Witcher 3 is one of my all time favorite games... but I never got very far into Witcher 1 because that mouse click timing combat system was just so wonky for me.

Would love to actually get to do a full trilogy play through with the ARPG combat

Last edited:

Pallas

I’m curious if the sex card game is in
Never played the first Witcher so I had to do a quick Google search. That’s certainly an interesting card game, I wouldn’t be against leaving it in. The cards are rather detailed.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
hm..hm..

WHERE THE FUCK IS NEXT GEN WITCHER 3
dead wink martindale GIF

Sentenza

The game is quite dated, especially the combat. This is gonna take them a while. I hope they manage to keep the same atmosphere as the original which was quite unique.
To be honest it has nothing to do with the date, the combat in TW1 was fundamentally crap even for its time.
It was monotone, lacking in variety, incredibly poor in its overall balance and, from some point going on, almost comically easy.
Not to mention it failed to live to its own "design goals", since past a certain point even the (DULL) requirement to switch between combat stances according to what you were fighting became a thing of the past. You could be in the wrong stance and button mash with no particular care of timing and still clear most of the encounters.

I enjoyed the game anyway, but I enjoyed it despise its combat, not because of it.
I will miss the sexy cards, on the other hand. "Catch them all" was what I considered my personal main quest.
And fuck any sad wanker who's going to attempt a moral outrage over them.

Last edited:

WoJ

But I'd rather they do a full on remake of The Witcher 3 for PS5/Xbox Series consoles built from the ground up like The Last of Us and rumored Horizon Zero Dawn. Forget this next gen upgrade crap they plan to give us. /s

I'm not the biggest fan of remakes but I'm down for this. I don't really have a good way to play this otherwise.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Same here. Matter of fact, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head would be
Xenosaga trilogy
first three Fatal Frame games
Skies of Arcadia legends
Onimusha 2 and 3
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
Apologies for quoting myself here, but it seems time to edit the original post is limited. I wanted to also add the Drakengard games to this list.

e0n

This is kind of unnecessary and almost like Oblivion being remade when you have Skyrim. The first game had some interesting quests and fun characters, but nothing that really needs to be retold in a modern engine. Major parts of the game would have to be reworked to the point it will probably feel like a new game.

JayK47

In spite of the crappy engine, I really loved the first game. With such bad gameplay, I still managed to enjoy the story, characters and world of The Witcher. The game had so many new and interesting enemies. And the side quest to score with as many women as possible was a nice change of pace. I also liked the dice game.

Juza

The remake of the first Witcher game is inevitable! We all know that. The thing we didn't know is when.

I'm so glad for that. The first game it has the best story out of the trilogy.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The type of game that needs it. Old and its gameplay is totally archaic. Hell it didn’t play well when it came out.

Back in 2013 or so when Witcher 3 came out, my best friend gifted me the first game on Steam. He loved it, sang up its praises, and told me I had to play it. Well, I lasted maybe an hour or two. It was a pretty game given how old it was at the time, but the game play and camera were messes. Just frustrating really.

kubricks

Now this is a game that deserves a remake.
I guess most will disagree with me, but can they not over do it with AAAA graphic that runs 8K at 30fps which will take them 5 years to make? Just do a modest The Witcher 3 level graphic and touch up on the janky gameplay mechanics and manuals.

EDMIX

While I'm generally tired of remakes...this one sort of makes sense.
Not only are the visuals and gameplay of the first Witcher very dated, but it also never came to consoles so there's probably a ton of people who got into the franchise with TW3 and never played the first one.

They are making a new Witcher, and a new Cyberpunk and a new IP.

stop that, this will NEVER make sense.

1. Companies hate money
2. ITS TOO SOON TO REMAKE, should have been remade at 20 years, that is the standard all game be remade doe
3.NO GAME from PS360PC era should be remade, datz too soon
4.....toooooo soooooon
5. it plays great, I can play it on PC right now, thus why would we NEED a remake if it playing for me? (angry face)
6. I'd rather they make a new game instead of dis, they only have 1 team to mak-

"They are making a new Witcher, and a new Cyberpunk and a new IP"

(angry puzzled face)

ok Witcher 4, Cyberpunk 2 and a new IP are being made, but this remake means Witcher 5, Cyberpunk 3 and ANOTHER new IP can't be made doe, what about those games bro?! /s

kubricks kubricks lol...no it doesn't. I literally can play Witcher 1 right now on PC with no issues. Its perfectly fine, good enough, serviceable thus...doesn't need a remake it "holds up" so doesn't need a remake, nothing new even happened to gaming from that gen to now, zero, holy shit they just put out a rema....enhanced edition, so this is a a remake of a remake? woooooow PS360PC era games shouldn't be remade, they are good enough...did that do anything for you? lol

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Release Date 2077..

Seriously though it took them too long to make CP2077 which was released in a bad unfinished state. How are they still finishing Witcher 3, working on Witcher 4, developing CP2 and now this remake? Development and release date delays incoming from whatever dates they announce lol

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How did I miss this? Hopefully this has the same love and care that went in to The Witcher 3. I’d buy it if it reviews well.

kubricks

kubricks kubricks lol...no it doesn't. I literally can play Witcher 1 right now on PC with no issues. Its perfectly fine, good enough, serviceable thus...doesn't need a remake it "holds up" so doesn't need a remake, nothing new even happened to gaming from that gen to now, zero, holy shit they just put out a rema....enhanced edition, so this is a a remake of a remake? woooooow PS360PC era games shouldn't be remade, they are good enough...did that do anything for you? lol

I don't understand what you are on about to be honest.

A lot of people I know start the series at TW3, then go back to play TW2 which they enjoy somewhat. TW1 has quite a big gap in terms of control and graphic in comparison to the other two games. It runs fine on the PC, it is good enough, it is serviceable, and it doesn't mean it cannot be modernize a little for these late comers.

Remaking this makes a lot more sense than say, TLOU.

Lysandros

I can only hope that the exquisite atmosphere of the game wont be lost in the process. That's my favorite entry in the series in so many ways.

EDMIX

I don't understand what you are on about to be honest.

A lot of people I know start the series at TW3, then go back to play TW2 which they enjoy somewhat. TW1 has quite a big gap in terms of control and graphic in comparison to the other two games. It runs fine on the PC, it is good enough, it is serviceable, and it doesn't mean it cannot be modernize a little for these late comers.

Remaking this makes a lot more sense than say, TLOU.

Both remakes make sense, they both released during the same gen.

The post is being sarcastic

EDMIX

This. Seems no lessons were learned.

Agreed, but all that means is it was never an accident the first time or something.

They are purposely announcing shit early to get investor money, telling folks they'll release it ONLY when its ready to scam consumers, release it broken and then pretend it was all some accident and repeat.

Literally every game they've put out has been broken to some extent at launch, which tells me this whole showing games or announcing them early is literally part of some scam or something and they'll just show fake footage, worry about the aftermath later, find excuse to be the victim. I'm willing to disregard a few mistakes, but they've done this too many times to believe its some mishap or accident at this point.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Imagining The Witcher in Unreal Engine 5, Teaserplay's Concept Trailer

in this video we are going to imagine The Witcher Remake, the game is currently being developed by CD Projekt RED for PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC

We've all seen the power of the Unreal Engine 5 in the Matrix aweaken demo, but in addition to modern urban environments, it's amazing for processing plants and vegetation. Choosing this engine to recreate the Witcher was a right decision by CD Projekt RED

Using Lumen, Nanite and Ray Tracing, we tried to give the overall picture of this remake and clarify the expectations of the fans from it for the Developers

🔷 This video is made by a fan with limited facilities and not going to be a game, it's just a recreation of how fans imagine the possible game

Top Bottom