• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Performance Thread

GHG

Gold Member
FFS obviously I am using DLSS. And I am using it in Witcher as well. It is like for like.

Point is, in Cyberpunk I can enjoy 60fps 99% of the time with RT.

In Witcher I cannot enjoy 60fps with RT pretty much any time I am in a location with NPCs.

And Cyberpunk has many, many more NPCs on screen.

The benchmarks I've posted above say otherwise. Not sure what CPU you're using but the Witcher 3 could be causing CPU bottlenecks in more populated areas, but to say it's more demanding overall is incorrect. The benchmarks I posted above prove that.

It's clear they need to work on it where possible but the amount of hyperbolic statements going around are grating. RT is demanding, full stop. I don't see why we need to go through this same song and dance every time there's a new game release that heavily features RT. There are a bunch of settings that can be turned down and tweaked.

Last edited:

Denton

The benchmarks I've posted above say otherwise. Not sure what CPU you're using but the Witcher 3 could be causing CPU bottlenecks in more populated areas, but to say it's more demanding overall is incorrect. The benchmarks I posted above prove that.

It's clear they need to work on it where possible but the amount of hyperbolic statements going around are grating. RT is demanding, full stop. I don't see why we need to go through this same song and dance every time there's a new game release that heavily features RT. There are a bunch of settings that can be turned down and tweaked.
Sorry but the only thing grating here is your fight against reality. I have 5800X3D, aka still one of the best gaming CPUs on the market. Witcher 3 is MUCH heavier than Cyberpunk on CPU. And it ain't just me and Hugare saying this, here is John from DF also seeing the same thing:

Also, THE WHOLE POINT IS, that there are no settings that can be tweaked and turned down to eliminate this problem!
You can lower literally every setting to lowest, play in 720p, but once you go to Novigrad and have RTGI enabled (even just RTGI, no other RT option), you WILL DROP BELOW 60. I literally tested this myself and confirmed it.

So, Witcher 3 populated areas: drops below 60 no matter what.
Cyberpunk populated areas: stays at 60 no problem.

I do not know how much clearer to write this.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Sorry but the only thing grating here is your fight against reality. I have 5800X3D, aka still one of the best gaming CPUs on the market. Witcher 3 is MUCH heavier than Cyberpunk on CPU. And it ain't just me and Hugare saying this, here is John from DF also seeing the same thing:

Also, THE WHOLE POINT IS, that there are no settings that can be tweaked and turned down to eliminate this problem!
You can lower literally every setting to lowest, play in 720p, but once you go to Novigrad and have RTGI enabled (even just RTGI, no other RT option), you WILL DROP BELOW 60. I literally tested this myself and confirmed it.

Ok I want to see this for myself, maybe because I'm still in the early game area my optics are skewed. Can someone list the most demanding areas of the game?

I'll start a blood and wine file to get to the various areas. I have a 4090 and a 5800x3d so would like to see what's going on.

Hugare

Tell me what settings you can turn down and tweak that will boost performance with RT on.

There are tons of users reporting that no matter what you turn off, it wont change a thing in terms of RT performance.

Witcher 3 is using 10% of my CPU in Novigrad. CPU utilization is a joke right now.

BTW, dont know if you noticed, but the benchmarks are using 2 different CPUs, and the one used for the Witcher has 1.1 more GHz than the one used in Cyberpunk

Still, its only 3 fps better on average on a 3080ti, the strongest GPU at the time Cyberpunk was tested.

You implying that Witcher 3 should be as demanding as Cyberpunk, when in reality CP is doing tons of more demanding stuff than TW3 must be a joke.

TW3 is way more demanding than it has any right to be. As I said before, you cant even change RT options without the game crashing on you. And then there are tons of visual bugs that you can find everywhere on the internet, memory leaks and etc.

You expect me to believe that they optimized the game properly?

EDIT: thank you Denton Denton for posting John's tweet. That should be more than enough proof.

Last edited:

amigastar

This new update made things worse than they were. Firstly it crashes all the time, then the shadows are almost not visible without RT. You can't display Afterburner informations.
It really sucks.

Last edited:

Macattk15

This runs like utter trash on RT Ultra+ @ 1440p on a 10900k and 3080FE.

At least that is what it's doing on my end.

That and the game still just looks like a shinier 2015 game .... been spoiled by games like Cyberpunk and even God of War. Just underwhelming ... not that I expected a complete overhaul obviously.

Last edited:

Cryio

AMD RX 5700 XT + R5 3600. Capped fps to 60 in Riva Tuner.

Maxed out, including Hairworks and Ultra+. All driver optimizations turned off / maxed out. No RT of course.

3200x1800:

1. DX11 native: 44 fps
2. DX12 native: 42 fps
3. DX12 FSR2 Performance: 53 fps

Perfect frametimes. No shader compilation stuttering past the opening 5 minutes. No judder.

Dropping to DX11, Ultra, 1080p native and Hairworks off: 120+ fps at all times.

The update is fine. FSR2/TAAU destroy rain particles vs FXAA tho.

Sounds more like Nvidia GPUs / drivers are acting up really.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Ok I want to see this for myself, maybe because I'm still in the early game area my optics are skewed. Can someone list the most demanding areas of the game?

I'll start a blood and wine file to get to the various areas. I have a 4090 and a 5800x3d so would like to see what's going on.
Nah, it runs worse than Cyberpunk for sure. That's chiefly due to the horrendous CPU usage compared to Cyberpunk which actually makes proper use of it. The minimums are much lower and the variants are significantly greater.

I can get 120fps locked in Cyberpunk. I can drop my settings to minimum and disable RT in The Witcher 3 and my fps caps at 100-110 while the GPU usage is like 30%.

Turning on RT Psycho in Cyberpunk at 4K drops the performance by 43% from non-RT. It's 68% performance drop in The Witcher III.

Without RT, The Witcher III is much easier to run, often being double the fps of Cyberpunk. With RT, for some strange reason, The Witcher III becomes as difficult to runs except with much worse dips and consistency.

Denton

Well obviously Novigrad fish market and Hierarch Square - I even lowered details from ultraplus to ultra, but still dropping there into fourties, I think I saw 39 there at lowest, purely CPU limited.
Or Beauclair in Toussaint. But any populated place really.

Basically, in the wild, Witcher RT is GPU limited (and hard as fuck)
in the cities, Witcher RT is CPU limited (and even harder as fuck)

Witcher 3 is using 10% of my CPU in Novigrad. CPU utilization is a joke right now.

I was looking at CPU utilization on my CPU per core and it was much higher than 10%. But it is obvious the game is thread limited and does not use all 8 cores as well as Cyberpunk.

And to be honest, it makes sense. This is a 7 year old game originally architected for DX11. Who knows what ungodly hacks they had to do to get RT into it.

As it is, the RTGI is awesome, but firmly intended for future hardware. Unless CDP optimize it, which I have doubts is even possible.

Last edited:

A.Romero

This patch is a mess. Don't take this as an indicatior to upgrade.

The other game where I've been having issues is BF2042 on 128 player games (I know, it's also a technical mess but I love BF...)

Back on topic: Personally I'm not surprised Witcher 3 is struggling. It wasn't good when it came out either. CDPR are not tech wizards although they make pretty good games. Seeing all these comments just supports that idea.

That said I really don't mind. It's a free patch and at some point in the future it will be possible to just brute force the thing. Better than nothing.

GHG

Gold Member
Well obviously Novigrad fish market and Hierarch Square - I even lowered details from ultraplus to ultra, but still dropping there into fourties, I think I saw 39 there at lowest, purely CPU limited.
Or Beauclair in Toussaint. But any populated place really.

Basically, in the wild, Witcher RT is GPU limited (and hard as fuck)
in the cities, Witcher RT is CPU limited (and even harder as fuck)

I was looking at CPU utilization on my CPU per core and it was much higher than 10%. But it is obvious the game is thread limited and does not use all 8 cores as well as Cyberpunk.

And to be honest, it makes sense. This is a 7 year old game originally architected for DX11. Who knows what ungodly hacks they had to do to get RT into it.

As it is, the RTGI is awesome, but firmly intended for future hardware. Unless CDP optimize it, which I have doubts is even possible.

Ok just did Novigrad square, all settings max 4k, dlss quality and honestly my experinece mirrors what I get in Cyberpunk in the most demanding areas, 50-60 fps dlss quality. I tried taking screenshots to compare frame gen off vs on but the windows game bar overlay isn't showing through on them. Took some quick photos:

Frame gen on is the top photo, off the bottom:

FcROp6P.jpg
JrSSwYH.jpg

Frame gen off in Novigrad = 50-70 fps with occasional dips into the high 40's

Frame gen on in Novigrad = 80-100 fps with occasional dips into the high 70's

Not seeing the atrociously low CPU usage that others are reporting either. If anything it's GPU usage that's the cause for concern.

It would be nice for them to work on this a bit (and for Nvidia to get frame gen working on 2 and 3 series cards) but I'm not holding my breath considering they told us all max settings are not really intended for current rigs in the next gen showcase they did a few weeks ago.

You expect me to believe that they optimized the game properly?

Never said this, in fact I think the opposite is true, this is CDPR afterall. However it's a free update so I'm not sure what people expect, it's literally like they've just thrown some higher end options in there for people to have a play with. You would think people have just paid $70 for this with the way some of you are behaving. I've come to expect it though considering everyone's reactions to Portal RTX recently.

Last edited:

Denton

Ok just did Novigrad square, all settings max 4k, dlss quality and honestly my experinece mirrors what I get in Cyberpunk in the most demanding areas, 50-60 fps dlss quality.
The difference is, in Cyberpunk you can go for DLSS balanced or performance and you will get 60. Here, you won't. Hence Witcher RT is much more demanding.

Not to mention, even when I have 60fps with RT on in Witcher, there is microstutter due to bad framepacing. Does not happen in Cyberpunk and disabling RT fixes it in Witcher.

And yes, this is a free update, but you cannot be surprised that people expected 7 year old game to not suddenly be the most demanding game on the planet simply due to RT inclusion, when there are more modern games with RT that run fine.

Of course, this expectation of well optimized RT in Witcher turned out to be misguided.

Last edited:

Goon_Bong

Plenty of reports on Steam and GOG forums from users with beast spec rigs indicating this release is broken, particularly when enabling RT. The notion that a makeup job on a 7 year old game is somehow CPU limited is pretty laughable. Broken update is broken.

I'll test my system with a 4090 next. This is my 4080 system playing it at 1440p everything maxed out with DLSS3 turned on in one of the earlier areas. I was really making this vid cause if you look at the second half of it man...DLSS3 does some terrible ghosting on NPCs and moving objects in the distance.

https://www.veed.io/view/5c7f8da5-c160-40da-95c2-4fc1845c8b89?sharingWidget=true&panel=share

Sorry about the sites quality, i need a better place to upload.

Last edited:

EDMIX

So, Witcher 3 populated areas: drops below 60 no matter what.
Cyberpunk populated areas: stays at 60 no problem.

This 1000%.

I grow tired of hearing people trying to blame hardware for stuff like this. We could have had that excuse for Witcher 3 when it first launched, that should have ended when other open world games came out with more demanding worlds that ran better.

Is Ghost Of Tsushima running on magic? AC Origin, Odyssey and Valhalla all running on some voodoo shit? lol Red Dead Redemption 2 must be blowing up PS4's and XONE's using this logic. I think after a while people should have merely considered the team is having issues...thats it.

They said the same thing about CP2077, as if cops having AI and trains was just a next gen idea and ZERO PS4 or XONE game has ever had this feature and we MUUUUUST have PS5 for that, only to ignore the open world games that did those features with no problems on PS4 and XONE. Its time people realize, this is an issue with this team... I don't buy that you need a new CPU with how powerful the Ryzen 5800 is, I don't buy that shit we MUST need a PS6 to fucking play a game from 2015.....

This is one of the few times in gaming where I think people need to except theses issues have little to do with "weak hardware" as that excuse is getting pretty old and odd at this point when other games are using these same features and are completely playable.

So its likely they patch this and that issues goes away or is lessor which will literally support that the "weak hardware" excuse is complete bs.

yansolo

my game crashes as soon as i turn rtx on, runs on ultra+ 1440p otherwise with it off. Granted Im running older hardware, 2070 and 8700k but i havnt had any rtx issues with any other games so far.

Mozzarella

How is the performance on the PS5? I heard good things.

I just finished updating the game and with RTx/2k i think its a bit rough for me, but i didnt test it enough so im not sure i will do a detailed test soon.
But without RTx, the game runs smooth on ultra for me. 3070.

I think ultimately for me it came down to RTx, without it feels smoother so i will keep it off.

The hard part about PC optimization is accounting for every factor, some people who send issues maybe launch the game with other programs in the background, others have bootleneck, others didnt update their drivers, others have bugs, others didnt set up their graphic setting optimally, its a hole of so many possiblies so its harder to optimize esepically on advance tech like raytracing.
Anyway stay optimistic guys, pretty sure the community will come up with loads of tricks to boost performance and ofcourse some patches from the developer as well.

I will report back after my tests if i have problems but initial impression without RTX is its a significant boost in graphics.

Hugare

How is the performance on the PS5? I heard good things.

I just finished updating the game and with RTx/2k i think its a bit rough for me, but i didnt test it enough so im not sure i will do a detailed test soon.
But without RTx, the game runs smooth on ultra for me. 3070.

I think ultimately for me it came down to RTx, without it feels smoother so i will keep it off.

The hard part about PC optimization is accounting for every factor, some people who send issues maybe launch the game with other programs in the background, others have bootleneck, others didnt update their drivers, others have bugs, others didnt set up their graphic setting optimally, its a hole of so many possiblies so its harder to optimize esepically on advance tech like raytracing.
Anyway stay optimistic guys, pretty sure the community will come up with loads of tricks to boost performance and ofcourse some patches from the developer as well.

I will report back after my tests if i have problems but initial impression without RTX is its a significant boost in graphics.
If you are going to play without RT, PS5 is a great option.

Performance mode is very stable and has great graphics. Plus, Dualsense adaptive triggers and all that is cool. I'm having a great time.

RT mode has significant drops in Novigrad (low 20s) and even when stable at 30, it has incosistent framepacing. So avoid.

Mozzarella

Wow!! the RT mode is insane, if you want to see its full potential go to a place where it has shadows and lights, like Vizima for example and turn it on/off, big difference there, much more natural and beautiful lighting.
I got 55 fps with RT mode on 2k just now, goes to 60 fps once i stop moving. All on ultra with DLSS on (RTX 3070) - good stuff
Without RTx its capped at 60 for me because i dont unlock it unless i play multiplayer, i dont want to spoil myself with 144fps even though my monitor is 144hz, i just lock every single player game on 60fps no matter what.
But without RTX its smooth and my PC is quiet.
With RTX its almost smooth but PC is loud and heated.

Overall for me it seems to be alright, with the patches CDPR is going to make i can expect even better performance later on, great update visually.
I even took a screenshots but i assume most of you seen all that needs to be seen by now.

Here:

RT off:

RT On:

Edit:
Ok did another run at different time in another city, it seems the benefits of RTX mode depends on the time of the day in the game and the angle/place where you are at.
If you are indoors-outdoors i mean kind of between them, near some house at the time of the noon then the effect is in full potential.
At night the effects are reduced, the lighting is more natural but the benefits get lower. I tested another one in Oxenfort and the difference was not as massive as Vizima for example.

So to conclude RTX is a good cosmetic/immersion addition but its not essential, as the performance mod on high/ultra is more than enough of a gorgeous looking visuals so for the console folk or people that can't run RTX mode at higher frames you are not missing out so much, dont worry.
It's impressive how implemented it is in older game though, i assume if its was built from the ground up in the game like Cyberpunk did it would be even better looking and the benefits will be bigger, but can't complain about free addition to probably boost some GPU sales lol. Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia has some stocks at CDPR at this point lol.

Anyway, overall good update so far.

If you have 3070 and below (less than 12GB ram and less than 30 series) then i highly recommend RTX off and Performance mode.
However it is worth to turn on RTX if you are in photo mode and want to bring out your inner photographer.

I will not be replaying the game sadly, just collect the new content and leave, but have fun and hope whoever has issues they get fixed ASAP.

Last edited:

Filben

So avoid.
RT is also being weird. Prior to the release they said RT won't feature reflections on consoles, yet reflections DO look different and better with RT mode on on PS5. Yet some shadows and lighting improvements you have on PC are missing on PS5 with RT on.

This version is in such a weird state. It also has the usual issues with frame pacing issues somewhat related to Nvidia reflex.

So far I wouldn't waste any time trying to play it if you wanted to experience it with ray tracing. Play some games of your backlogs you all in the meantime.

Loaded up my save from 2016 since I last replayed it, I was in the blood and wine zone, one of the most demanding area. got a 2080, 12700k, 32 gb ddr5, farily decent system and it runs like a pos. Tons of stutters walking/runnign around, and the visual difference between RT on vs off is not worth the performance cost AT ALL. Like rly, you'd be a fucking idiot to waste so many good frames for better shadows. Tried running it in dx11 and it was still a stuttering mess. DLSS also does not do shit, feels like its broken. With it on I get like 10 extra frames max on dx12 even without RT. THis was tested at 1440p. Fucking CDPR. They really suck at optimizing. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm prolly the biggest CDPR fan, but this shit? They fucking failed.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm only looking for 1080p60 no RT on my 1660ti, so from a performance perspective I should be able to do that the same as I would before the update. But with all the reports about missing things and bugs, I'm going to wait before jumping in.

What's weird is the removal of options like one of the AO (maybe HBAO+), but we'll see how things play out. Maybe I'll be better off downgrading, despite the upgrades to gameplay.

Zathalus

3080 Ti laptop, 4k DLSS performance with everything maxed out (all RT as well) drops to around 30FPS when on a horse through Novigrad. Not great but certainly better then what my PS5 or XSX deliver. Latency is much better then consoles as well thanks to Nvidia boost.

Not great, but I can handle it and the RT is too good to give up.

clampzyn

3080 Ti laptop, 4k DLSS performance with everything maxed out (all RT as well) drops to around 30FPS when on a horse through Novigrad. Not great but certainly better then what my PS5 or XSX deliver. Latency is much better then consoles as well thanks to Nvidia boost.

No shot, 3080 ti even laptop gpu has higher RT performance than consoles.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Wait. Didn't we all delete this file to make rtss run ?
it will still fall back to the system level library file
u can plop that file back, performance will remain same :d

whatever, i honed in my 35 FPS lock, so far so good.
but go play this on ur ps5. it lacks haptic feedback on PC (although you already given up on that, due to wireless stuff). haptic on ps5 is crazy good. defines the experience by itself. big L for pc. weird too, they literally have dualsense picture in there, even adaptive triggers. feels like we're simply getting trolled at this point

Hugare

but go play this on ur ps5. it lacks haptic feedback on PC (although you already given up on that, due to wireless stuff). haptic on ps5 is crazy good. defines the experience by itself. big L for pc. weird too, they literally have dualsense picture in there, even adaptive triggers. feels like we're simply getting trolled at this point
You get Dualsense support if you plug it in with a cable

Has to be wired, wireless doesnt support the adaptive triggers and all that.

Zug

Broken release on PC : RT mode is unplayable even when fiddling with the settings.
1440p DLSS perf with a 3800x3D+2070s. Cyberpunk 2077 runs much better on my rig with better settings.

Jesus, imagine preferring better shadowing that is not that huge of a difference in Witcher 3 with abysmal performance over smooth performance that looks just as good. Some gamers are a mistake.

clampzyn

Jesus, imagine preferring better shadowing that is not that huge of a difference in Witcher 3 with abysmal performance over smooth performance that looks just as good. Some gamers are a mistake.
Not to mention that 3080ti laptops would probably costs 2000$+

yamaci17

You get Dualsense support if you plug it in with a cable

Has to be wired, wireless doesnt support the adaptive triggers and all that.
im on wired, Rofif is the one who hates that it needs wired

problem of witcher3 however it supports Dualsense only partially. it supports triggers but not haptics.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
All of these upgrades are great until you're tracking some red crap on the ground for the 50th time.

I do want to enjoy the world though, so I may hop back in this weekend and see if it hooks me.

Zathalus

RT makes a massive difference in visual quality. Seems some gamers can't get over themselves that 30FPS (literally worse case, more often then not it's quite a bit higher), while not great, is fine for a single player RPG. These same gamers are apparently blind as well.

Zathalus

Not to mention that 3080ti laptops would probably costs 2000$+
Nobody claimed they were cheap, PS5/XSX is far better value for your money of course.

Even for a gaming PC they are not great value either, but I needed portability at the time for my PC needs so it is what it is.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

If I were to play it right now, I would probably do ps5 because it's very buggy on steam. I got textures and vegetation flicker.
But I am in no hurry to replay so I will wait

Zathalus

Not massive, nor good enough to waste more 80 frames. 30 FPS is not fine.
RT is a rather substantial difference for me. 30 FPS is not fine for you, it's fine for me (and looking at PS4 and Switch sales most gamers as well). It's literally the only reason for me to play this again. I've already had 100fps+, mods and most of the other visual upgrades for years now. If not for the RT I'd probably not bother playing the game again.

For me personally 30 FPS works fine for a lot of games, obviously 60 FPS or more is better but I don't have a 4090 at the moment so RT and 30 FPS is fine for me in this game.

Kenpachii

Dunno why people are testing novigrad, go tot he DLC area next to the castle, that's where its really demanding if you get 50 in novigrad u will go below 30's there.

clampzyn

Nobody claimed they were cheap, PS5/XSX is far better value for your money of course.

Even for a gaming PC they are not great value either, but I needed portability at the time for my PC needs so it is what it is.
Yea, i mean thats an expensive hardware so naturally it will run better so you probably don't need to say your expensive laptop performs better than current consoles, looks more like bragging. I mean if I bought a gaming laptop thats 2500$ it would be obvious it'll perform a better than consoles, pretty much common sense. I'd be shocked as hell if it didn't though. I'd be more surprise if someone claimed their rtx 2060 laptop performed a lot better than current gen consoles.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yea, i mean thats an expensive hardware so naturally it will run better so you probably don't need to say your expensive laptop performs better than current consoles, looks more like bragging.
This is a thread discussing the performance of the game. Comparisons to the consoles were made in the OP as well. I was giving my input as I own all the consoles as well.

Besides how was I bragging? It's just a laptop not a freaking Ferrari. Do you think everybody who mentioned the 4090 or 3090 in this thread were bragging as well? Those PCs are likely quite a bit more expensive then my laptop.

clampzyn

Besides how was I bragging? It's just a laptop not a freaking Ferrari. Do you think everybody who mentioned the 4090 or 3090 in this thread were bragging as well? Those PCs are likely quite a bit more expensive then my laptop.
Coz I didn't see anyone saying my 4090/3090 performed better than consoles, obviously they know and people know it will perform better and they don't need to compare it to consoles.

TLDR: You were stating the obvious from my pov

Last edited:

Zathalus

Coz I didn't see anyone saying my 4090/3090 performed better than consoles, obviously they know and people know it will perform better and they don't need to compare it to consoles.
OK? Odd thing to get defensive over. It's also not a given that the PC version would be better. Callisto Protocol was better on PS5 for sure when compared to PC. Besides I was not the first person in this thread to mention console performance.

Top Bottom