• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition Performance Thread

Gaiff

Let me guess, the one too dark is rtgi
Don't think you need to guess. The RTGI picture has light bounce on the pillars. You see the yellow light of the sun shine on them whereas the standard version has just grey pillars with no influence from the giant ball of light that is the sun.

RTGI also has a slight yellow tint on the floor near the outside, again coming from the sun.

The entire room (including the roof) is indirectly lit by the sun in the RTGI picture whereas it's just drab and grey in the regular picture. You also have the painting at the end of the corridor that is in a dark corner with very little light so it's much darker in the RT photos. In the raster version, it's lit from I don't know fucking what.

The fruit stands to the right also don't have shadows in the raster picture. Look at the feet of the furniture.

The difference is pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Yeah for that moon wraith at the well.
I suggest limiting fast travel then, and any place of interest you explore just loot everything, any monster you kill loot it, any bandit, same loot it.
After you loot everything sell most of the junk, they take weight, the materials dont take weight, some materials can be dismantled for certain ingredients as well, so keep an eye.
But for Alchemy stuff, its mostly flowers and powders and the constant material which should be alcohol or white gull or something.
Anything lacking you can always check out a herbalist shop (flower sign) or alchemist shop (potions sign) or an Inn (mead/ale cup sign)
Go there and check the menu for what is lacking. As long as you have the diagrams it should be fairly easy, the diagrams can sometimes be a bit harder to find, but i suppose the shops do have them and they are generated, meaning if you dont find items A in shop B then go Shop C lol

As you explore and loot, by the time you reach mid game you will be full of all the items you may need, and depending on areas you later get higher tier of materials. For example to craft grandmaster/mastercrafted gear you need dark ingot steel, that can come from higher level gear later in the game, like in DLC area for example.
So i wouldn't worry about grinding, the good thing is once you craft something you dont need to craft it again, just to reset it by meditating.

Grind is discouraged in Witcher 3, you dont need to grind for anything.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Go back to the house where you met the guy with the details for the quest. All the materials you need are outside his house. Loot all the plants there with the quest active and then it will progress it.

Hope I can find it
I suggest limiting fast travel then, and any place of interest you explore just loot everything, any monster you kill loot it, any bandit, same loot it.
After you loot everything sell most of the junk, they take weight, the materials dont take weight, some materials can be dismantled for certain ingredients as well, so keep an eye.
But for Alchemy stuff, its mostly flowers and powders and the constant material which should be alcohol or white gull or something.
Anything lacking you can always check out a herbalist shop (flower sign) or alchemist shop (potions sign) or an Inn (mead/ale cup sign)
Go there and check the menu for what is lacking. As long as you have the diagrams it should be fairly easy, the diagrams can sometimes be a bit harder to find, but i suppose the shops do have them and they are generated, meaning if you dont find items A in shop B then go Shop C lol

As you explore and loot, by the time you reach mid game you will be full of all the items you may need, and depending on areas you later get higher tier of materials. For example to craft grandmaster/mastercrafted gear you need dark ingot steel, that can come from higher level gear later in the game, like in DLC area for example.
So i wouldn't worry about grinding, the good thing is once you craft something you dont need to craft it again, just to reset it by meditating.

Grind is discouraged in Witcher 3, you dont need to grind for anything.

Fight Club Hug GIF

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Didn't see a herbalist or alchemy shop yet. I'll roam kill and gather my way. Tha ks for your posts! that 60fps is just wow

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Don't think you need to guess. The RTGI picture has light bounce on the pillars. You see the yellow light of the sun shine on them whereas the standard version has just grey pillars with no influence from the giant ball of light that is the sun.

RTGI also has a slight yellow tint on the floor near the outside, again coming from the sun.

The entire room (including the roof) is indirectly lit by the sun in the RTGI picture whereas it's just drab and grey in the regular picture. You also have the painting at the end of the corridor that is in a dark corner with very little light so it's much darker in the RT photos. In the raster version, it's lit from I don't know fucking what.

The fruit stands to the right also don't have shadows in the raster picture. Look at the feet of the furniture.

The difference is pretty obvious.
Yes the liht bounces around and the table with fruit is fantastically grounded.
But all in all it's too dark. The bounce is missing

sertopico

He remember the framerate tanking, so it can't be that.
In my case I can tell the game suffers from ugly memory leaks, since after a while it starts stuttering pretty badly tanking the framerate at the same time. Only after reloading it goes back to the usual acceptable stuttering and low framerate haha. I was referring in my post to the VRAM not the RAM. Given the fact that RT needs more video memory it might happen that the latter saturates if you don't have enough and/or the game cannot use resources properly.

One thing is sure, for the upcoming titles we will need a really powerful CPU to make these effects and the GPUs themselves work properly. I mean, currently there is no CPU that doesn't bottleneck the 4090. I am tempted to update but the current generations are at a dead end... On the other hand my 10700k starts to be old and not up to the task.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Tried it on PC after playing the PS5 version in perf mode for several hours. DX11 from the GOG launcher (I got this game free with my old GTX 670 back in 2015. Those were the days..... Anyways my specs):

Code:
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
32GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
RTX 3080 10GB
SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 - 7450 MB/s read, 6900 MB/s write
ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ 32” 4K HDR 144Hz DSC HDMI 2.1 Gaming Monitor, UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC enabled
Windows 10

Ultra RT, Nvidia Hair Works = Geralt, FSR = balanced, 120 FPS cap, 3840x2160: FPS hovered in the mid to high 40's, occasionally hit the low 50's, was never stable FPS wise, and was extremely choppy when moving the camera

Ultra RT, Nvidia Hair Works = off, FSR = balanced, 120 FPS cap, 2560x1440: FPS was consistently in the high 60's and sometimes the low 70's. No choppiness when moving the camera, FPS was a tiny bit more stable even when lots of enemies were on screen

Overall, doesn't look as good as it should to have such low and unstable framerates IMO. It's not like my rig is dated. It's just a few upgrades away from being bleeding edge. I can run newer games like Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn at maxed settings @ 4K with far higher FPS that remain rock solid stable and more noticeable ray tracing (if applicable).

PC version needs some work, I'll stick to the PS5 version for now. It is far, far more stable and doesn't even look much worse in comparison.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Tried it on PC after playing the PS5 version in perf mode for several hours. DX11 from the GOG launcher (I got this game free with my old GTX 670 back in 2015. Those were the days..... Anyways my specs):

Code:
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
32GB RAM @ 3200 MHz
RTX 3080 10GB
SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 - 7450 MB/s read, 6900 MB/s write
ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQ 32” 4K HDR 144Hz DSC HDMI 2.1 Gaming Monitor, UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, 1ms, G-SYNC enabled
Windows 10

Ultra RT, Nvidia Hair Works = Geralt, FSR = balanced, 120 FPS cap, 3840x2160: FPS hovered in the mid to high 40's, occasionally hit the low 50's, was never stable FPS wise, and was extremely choppy when moving the camera

Ultra RT, Nvidia Hair Works = off, FSR = balanced, 120 FPS cap, 2560x1440: FPS was consistently in the high 60's and sometimes the low 70's. No choppiness when moving the camera, FPS was a tiny bit more stable even when lots of enemies were on screen

Overall, doesn't look as good as it should to have such low and unstable framerates IMO. It's not like my rig is dated. It's just a few upgrades away from being bleeding edge. I can run newer games like Spider-Man and Horizon: Zero Dawn at maxed settings @ 4K with far higher FPS that remain rock solid stable and more noticeable ray tracing (if applicable).

PC version needs some work, I'll stick to the PS5 version for now. It is far, far more stable and doesn't even look much worse in comparison.
You are not in DX11 if you can use RT and FSR. You are still in DX12.

yamaci17

nah. Water still looks like ass somehow.
Seriously... if the reflections are this fuzzy, they should just use a cubemap lol
those are not reflections (fuzzy things), they are poorly made foams bro :d some modder will probs fix them

skellige is something else with RTGI

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
those are not reflections (fuzzy things), they are poorly made foams bro :d some modder will probs fix them

skellige is something else with RTGI
There should not be foam in a still river. Especially not bad foam lol :p
Look at the 3rd pic on the right. Reflection does not matches the tree but it's nitpicking.
I've seen much better water and reflections without RT reflection in some games.

I agree. the RTGI is nice in some areas but ttry disabling RT and playing at 100fps maxed out for a moment... you will be surprised probably that it's not much worse

yamaci17

There should not be foam in a still river. Especially not bad foam lol :p
Look at the 3rd pic on the right. Reflection does not matches the tree but it's nitpicking.
I've seen much better water and reflections without RT reflection in some games.

I agree. the RTGI is nice in some areas but ttry disabling RT and playing at 100fps maxed out for a moment... you will be surprised probably that it's not much worse
those pics do not have rt reflection... sorry for the confusion. only the initial comparison has it

dont worry i switch between 100+ flying dx11 mode and 35 fps slog dx12 ray tracing quality mode. i think i may do a mixed gameplay, maybe im just experimenting rn. already have 3 playthroughs in w3, dont know if i have it in me for another

Last edited:

Gudji

This port needs some work hopefully they patch it up. On PS5 the framerate drops on certain zones which isn't very pleasing after the initial hours with barely any drops (except when saving for some reason).

Last edited:

DanEON

Well I bought the ps5 version because on PC is unplayable due to memory leak. But man, the difference is huge. On ps5 it looks like it's 1080p. Guess I will need to wait for an update on the PC.

yamaci17

Well I bought the ps5 version because on PC is unplayable due to memory leak. But man, the difference is huge. On ps5 it looks like it's 1080p. Guess I will need to wait for an update on the PC.
if you're not caring about ray tracing, you can run the pc version on dx11 and get great performance without memory problems

St4hlfaust

Neo Member
So I don't know if this has been posted but I used this to get rid of the Microstuttering in DX12:
Framerate does not improve but the framegraph is much smoother and not all over the place. I actually enjoy playing it right now!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If you are using the RT mode, then you're not wrong. The RT mode on both PS5 and SX hovers around that range lol.

Performance mode, sans RT, is great tho. Runs at a much higher resolution and the response is much much muuuch better.

Del_X

Disable any overlays, and that includes the steam overlay.

Also try this if you're using frame gen:

Thanks, this actually seems to have fixed it. Stutters a bit and it seems more pronounced with frame gen. Hopefully they patch it up soon.

DanEON

I solved my problem with FPS drops by using the In-Game Vsync instead of the Nvidia Control Panel Vsync.

winjer

Gold Member
Patch 4.02 for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now available!
Among various fixes, it also improves the overall stability and performance of the game.

Size: 2GB (PC)

PC-SPECIFIC

• Improved CPU core utilization in the DX 12 version.
  • Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.
  • Fixed an issue where the “My Rewards” section was not localized in REDlauncher.
  • Fixed an issue with a flickering landscape in Toussaint that occurred when NVIDIA HairWorks was disabled.
  • Fixed an issue related to particle optimization which could result in temporary stuttering.
CONSOLE-SPECIFIC

• Improved Performance Mode on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where characters could become slightly blurry during dialogues and cutscenes on PlayStation 5.
  • Fixed an issue related to memory usage in Ray Tracing Mode which could result in crashes on Xbox Series X.
  • Whatsoever a Man Soweth… – The game will no longer crash if Geralt runs away from Shani after starting the conversation on next-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue where quicksaves couldn’t be loaded when using cross progression on Xbox One.
  • Added two missing “Top notch swords!” on previous-gen consoles.
  • Fixed an issue with overwriting manual saves where in some circumstances the oldest gamesave was deleted on PlayStation 5.
  • Addressed performance issues in Beauclair and Novigrad that occurred after loading a gamesave.
VISUAL – PC and Next-Gen Exclusive

• Improved immersion of water appearance by adding refraction to SSR and ray-traced reflections.
  • Fixed a visual issue with brick textures where black artifacts covered stone arches.
  • Added a Motion Blur slider. It can be found in Options → Video → Graphics.
QUESTS & GAMEPLAY – Available on all platforms

• Battle Preparations – Fixed the lack of a dialogue option that would progress the quest during the objective “Let Avallac’h know everything’s ready.”
  • Reason of State – Fixed an issue where the door to the warehouse could become permanently locked if the player knocked, entered and then immediately left the building.
  • Scavenger Hunt: Cat School Gear Upgrade Diagrams Part 1 – Fixed an issue where the quest could stay active even after the diagrams were looted.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to start a New Game+ on an incompatible save would block the player from starting the expansions in standalone mode until the game was restarted.
LOCALIZATION – Available on all platforms

• Fixed an issue with the Korean localization of Ciri’s and Geralt’s Gwent card descriptions.
  • Fixed punctuation issues in Arabic localization.
  • Updated Traditional Chinese font.

DanEON

still no fix for the fps drops when Frame Generation turned on with AMD CPUs. What a surprise!!

Is even worse now, with some total freezes and crashs.

Last edited:

Xtib81

I'm wondering if they'll ever fix that terrible pop in glitch on ps5, like grass changes the LOD right before your feet and it apparently doesn't happen on Xbox.

flying_sq

I5 12400 + rtx 3060ti i can get 1440p with dlss + rt? If not i am wait a patch
I don't think so, I have a 5900x @4.7 with a 3090ti and around 60-70fps in the starting area with DLSS at quality. At 4k I am getting about 45 fps. That is completely maxed out though, not sure what settings you would run beyond RT.

flying_sq

With DLSS3 do you mean frame generation enabled? If yes, then yes, easily. A 4090 gets over 100fps with frame generation. A 4080 should have no issue hitting 60.
I'm curious how well a 4080 will do. From reviews I've seen, its about 3090ti performance. Just checked after the new update, CPU usage hits 3 threads hard, but really doesn't use more than 6, possibly could argue 8 threads.

Gaiff

I'm curious how well a 4080 will do. From reviews I've seen, its about 3090ti performance. Just checked after the new update, CPU usage hits 3 threads hard, but really doesn't use more than 6, possibly could argue 8 threads.
A 3090 Ti performing like a 4080 shouldn't happen. The 4080 should be about 15% faster.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Restored horizon-based ambient occlusion. Players who had previously turned Ambient Occlusion off will need to do so again. You can find it in Options → Video → Graphics.

What a bunch of assholes for removing it. YOu can clearly see why. The differences now between RT and HBAO on will be far less oobvious to the eyes than before.

I did and nothing has changed. It's crazy they haven't even acknowledged it, that's a pretty big visual glitch.
crazy. I did test it too. The game looks better in general now, but that same weird glitch is present on PS5. It's like the grass moves? And if you come back from where you came from it won't move again like a normal LOD transition. Definitely a odd glitch

Hugare

PS5 here

RT mode in Novigrad still goes down to 27 FPS frequently, unchanged from last patch

Performance mode tho is very locked at 60. Hard to go down even in Novigrad. Big improvememt from the last patch.

Shoul be impressive, but without RT, its basicaly the same game from 2015 with better textures and reflections. I'm not going to applaud CDPR for it.

Top Bottom