• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Washington Post: Why is millennial humor so weird?

Euphony

Banned
tumblr_oniky7Km0I1rrkahjo1_500.gif

TURN THAT POOP INTO WINE!

TURN THAT POOP INTO WINE!

Also
tumblr_nlbkzafeYF1u6gp91o1_500.png

Desperado

To actually expand on some things touched by the article, it's easier to be a "participant" in the millennial generational humor than ever before in any time or place. There's more comedy being made at every second. More comedic territory being consumed. Everyone is constantly plumbing the depths of irony and sarcasm (the primary modes of humor for millenials) in search of novelty. If older generations can't recognize it, it's because it's happening at a pace that never existed in their lives. Even millennials are struggling to keep up with their successors, the so-called Gen Z, and millennials are still young.

I was talking about this with friends last night, actually. The explosion of memes in the last decade-plus has been unbelievable. To think we went from these 2000s memes to what's out there today... One can certainly draw direct connections between the past and present of 'meme culture,' but the seemingly infinite variety and quantity of today's memes and the ever-accelerating pace of their evolution are really quite unprecedented. If someone from 2007 time traveled to now, they might be able to recognize something like doggo as an evolution of LOLcats (and later, Doge) type humor, but the vast majority of memes would be utterly incomprehensible to them. Like you said, even Millennials already have trouble keeping up with Gen Z-produced memes. The stuff that comes through my social media feeds has me running to Know Your Meme more and more often nowadays.

uh oh here comes an unironic explanation of meme culture, im explaining the joke please forgive me
Reading this excerpt here:
Adam Downer is a 26-year-old associate staff editor at Know Your Meme, an online encyclopedia of the form where the oldest staffer tops out at about age 32, Downer told me. He spends his days scouring the Net for memes, documenting their origins and, when possible, explaining to readers what they mean. Since 2008, Know Your Meme's staff has indexed some 11,228 memes and adds new entries to its database every day. The strangest meme he ever worked on, Downer says, was a bizarre mind-virus called ”Hey Beter." The meme consists of four panels, the first including the phrase ”Hey Beter," a riff on ”Hey Peter," referring to the main character of the comedy cartoon series ”Family Guy." What comes next seems to make even less sense: In one iteration, the Sesame Street character Elmo (wearing a ”suck my a--" T-shirt) calls out to Peter, then asks him to spell ”whomst've," then blasts him with blue lasers. In the final panel, readers are advised to ”follow for a free iphone 5." (There is no prize.) ”That one was inexplicably popular," Downer told me. ”I think it got popular because it was this giant emptiness of meaning. It was this giant race to the bottom of irony."

I laughed pretty hard because I know the exact meme in question, but the problem with the explanation is that the meme is not "devoid of meaning", nor was it inexplicably popular.
If you've used facebook for any amount of time, particularly with old people or "hood" people on your timeline, you've surely come across those awfully compressed, horribly jpeg artifacted "normie memes" which feature things like Minions saying something stupid with the description saying something like "Like my page to win a free iphone" to try to trick dumb people into liking their page and then there's the ever infamous "smash dat mf like button" and Timberland-wearing-SpongeBob hood memes which were super popular for a while and still get reposted.

The "hey beter" meme is clearly making fun of those normie memes, having random characters say stupid phrases usually followed by "like for an iphone 4" or "smash dat like button", etc etc while having their images be just as horribly artifacted for comedic effect.

A lot of "millenial jokes" follow similar lines, starting out as making fun of a particular thing or someone making a clever joke, which is then morphed over and over by countless people until it's unrecognizable yet still hilarious, because you understand the references to the source material.

It's really not that hard to get where it comes from; even Tim and Eric does the same sort of thing, making fun of bad low budget daytime television commercials, for example, on the "It's Free Real Estate!" skit.

If you don't get it, you probably just don't use the internet enough.

IrishNinja

fuck me

as a gen x'er i never gave a moment's thought to "what do boomers think of ren & stimpy", why would anyone do so here

fuck that, why read the washington post at all

FyreWulff

isn't just the usual cycle of stoner humor and pop culture humor oscillating through the lexical diaphragm of social historical context?

jono51

Banned
Probably because millennials are the most heavily medicated generation ever. Antidepressants, ADHD pills, steroids and dieting pills, beta blockers, fish oil, marijuana, fluoride, the list goes on. They are the first generation to begin using more than 18% of their brain.

gaugebozo

Probably because millennials are the most heavily medicated generation ever. Antidepressants, ADHD pills, steroids and dieting pills, beta blockers, fish oil, marijuana, fluoride, the list goes on. They are the first generation to begin using more than 18% of their brain.
016.jpg

Plum

Millennial humour is weird and ironic because the world they live in is weird and ironic, it's as simple as that. We met things like 9/11, the great recession, wars in the middle east, the constant reduction of opportunity and a sense of impending doom with humour that reflects it. On the political side of things both sides see the other as an absurdist, irrational force so political humour reflects it.

Essentially, it's hard to have a sitcom where a white middle class family goes through mundane situations before everything wraps up nicely in the end when most people have never experienced and will never experience such things.

Monocle

The main reason millennial humor rubs me the wrong way is that it's anti-intellectual. Most ordinary jokes rely on a certain cleverness of construction, complexity of meaning, or at least a shared lexicon among the audience. The absurdism that is a hallmark of millennial humor abolishes meaning. It neutralizes wit and knowledge with its mockery of the very language and symbols that convey coherent ideas.

I think I actually hate it. The laziest lolrandom strains of it, at least. It's nihilistic. It denies the worth of things that add value to life.

Tall4Life

The main reason millennial humor rubs me the wrong way is that it's anti-intellectual. Most ordinary jokes rely on a certain cleverness of construction, complexity of meaning, or at least a shared lexicon among the audience. The absurdism that is a hallmark of millennial humor abolishes meaning. It neutralizes wit and knowledge with its mockery of the very language and symbols that convey coherent ideas.

I think I actually hate it. The laziest lolrandom strains of it, at least. It's nihilistic. It denies the worth of things that add value to life.
Good lord, its just fun ironic memes, get over yourself

Dyle

Nonintellectual =/= anti-intellectual

But I'd disagree that millennial humor is nonintellectual for the most part or certainly no more nonintellectual than other generations' humor. Pretty much all of the big Adult Swim shows heavily draw upon big ideas that may appear hidden at first glance. Eric Andre may look crazy, but his show is a reaction against and satire of the stale format of late night television. Rick and Morty constantly references existentialist philosophy and finds surprising humanity in absurd realities. Shorts like Too Many Cooks, which is hard not to view in light of postmodern hyperrealism, and This House Has People In It, whose unsettling tone is heavily influenced by pioneering video artists such as Bill Viola's early work, are other examples that could only be produced by minds familiar with such high concepts. I could discuss more, but I don't have the time right now

Perhaps the final products don't clearly reflect their background, but it is there behind the shocking or random elements. Millennial humor is nihilistic because it comes from the minds of people who are well read enough to recognize the validity of said absurdity in the face of an uncertain or insignificant world in which their actions might prove meaningless anyway.

snap

Banned
Well one of my favorite shows when growing up was Ed Edd n Eddy and one of my favorite episodes was the one where reality falls apart so

WedgeX

Banned
fuck me

as a gen x'er i never gave a moment's thought to "what do boomers think of ren & stimpy", why would anyone do so here

fuck that, why read the washington post at all

Prett sure there were at least 4 time magazine covers dedicated to that very subject.

Is that why gen xers stopped subscribing?

The whole point of absurdism is to point out that nothing actually has any meaning and the idea that is does is a joke in itself. Or at the very least, the idea that we will never be able to know, that it's pointless to try to figure it out, and to ascribe any rule set is pointless as well.

If you really think it's anti intellectual, you're kind of missing the point.

Gotchaye

I'm not sure that doing something very strange and random is a new way of doing humor. The style has matured but we've been adding ridiculous fifth faces to Mt Rushmore for decades. Likewise dark humor has been a thing for a while.

I feel like modern (I guess post- Adult Swim?) comedy does two big things that I don't remember seeing much of before. First, it will intentionally run a joke into the ground. The standard example is probably the Family Guy bit where Peter hurts himself and then sits there rocking back and forth while holding his leg. Whatever-it-is is maybe a little funny at first, then funnier as it keeps going, then really annoying because it's been going forever, then funny again because oh my god they're really doing this. Second, jokes will be presented alongside something which is otherwise totally serious. Like with Archer, where the characters are joking in the middle of a seriously-presented shootout, or the show rapidly switches back and forth between serious and funny.

There are some other, minor things, but some of this strikes me as a fairly natural progression over time. Comedy is much faster now, but so is everything else -- action movies and dramas are also much faster and more tightly edited. This is possible because audiences and creators have developed an understanding of the medium and a sort of shorthand that lets them cut out elements that didn't directly contribute but which were useful for context. I think some things like Tim and Eric are basically just this -- they work now, and wouldn't have worked before, because they rely on audiences having certain ideas about how comedy works and is supposed to work.

I'm not sure that doing something very strange and random is a new way of doing humor. The style has matured but we've been adding ridiculous fifth faces to Mt Rushmore for decades. Likewise dark humor has been a thing for a while.

I feel like modern (I guess post- Adult Swim?) comedy does two big things that I don't remember seeing much of before. First, it will intentionally run a joke into the ground. The standard example is probably the Family Guy bit where Peter hurts himself and then sits there rocking back and forth while holding his leg. Whatever-it-is is maybe a little funny at first, then funnier as it keeps going, then really annoying because it's been going forever, then funny again because oh my god they're really doing this. Second, jokes will be presented alongside something which is otherwise totally serious. Like with Archer, where the characters are joking in the middle of a seriously-presented shootout, or the show rapidly switches back and forth between serious and funny.

There are some other, minor things, but some of this strikes me as a fairly natural progression over time. Comedy is much faster now, but so is everything else -- action movies and dramas are also much faster and more tightly edited. This is possible because audiences and creators have developed an understanding of the medium and a sort of shorthand that lets them cut out elements that didn't directly contribute but which were useful for context. I think some things like Tim and Eric are basically just this -- they work now, and wouldn't have worked before, because they rely on audiences having certain ideas about how comedy works and is supposed to work.

I always think about how weird and odd Monty Python was, people think today that hum our is random and odd but man that show is like the blue print for random shit and it was made in the 70's. Not sure if it's more British humour vs American humour but I feel comedy that is popular on the internet has existed in some form for quite a while.

entremet

Seems like this is talking about weird shows. Stand-up comedy is still rather awesome in the current young upstarts.

Now THIS is millennial humor.

Surprise humor is key to millennial's. I actually think that's one of the things that spurred humor reviews and abridged series. A physiological trick wherein your mind thinks it's watching something else, thus is more easily surprised by the humor. Same with Tim and Eric. which started as fake commercials. By, more or less, pretending to be something else, it sets you up for the surprise, because it breaks what your brain anticipates.

My friends and I concluded, at least personally, this brand of humor is so funny to us because we are all hopeless and critically depressed and it helps mute the unending rattles of our deep, deep self-hatred. We are extremely overworked with bleak prospects and constantly being told we are wrong or weird or worse - entitled.

When everything depresses you, and everyone hates you, weird things are funny. It's all just so detached and horrific that you have to laugh. It's all you have left.

Every morning, my friend texts me "rise and grind."

And I text back "another day another dollar."

Then we ponder the existential fear that we, ourselves, are expendable memes nobody will remember three years from now.

Ah, look at me now, getting nostalgic!

Mr.Pig

Those darn Monty Python millennials. Their humor is so confusing.
Millenial humor - brought to you by "Confuse-a-cat ltd."

DarkKyo

The One and Done™;245960624 said:
Fucking dying

Good point, it's become pretty popular online for this generation to describe one's current laughter as "crying," "screaming," or "dying" when it used to just be "lol" - that change in itself is pretty weird.

I was born in 92 and I don't get half of this shit. It seems like what some people are calling Millennial memes ("dank" memes) are really GenZ memes. Millenials end in 96/97 and all of this shit seems popular mostly with the under 20 crowd.

I was born in 92 and I don't get half of this shit. It seems like what some people are calling Millennial memes ("dank" memes) are really GenZ memes. Millenials end in 96/97 and all of this shit seems popular mostly with the under 20 crowd.

when people make anti-millennial posts its usually referring to anyone born after like 1985. My unborn child will be referred to as a millennial

Top Bottom