• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Village in RE4 best level in gaming history?

Is the Village the greatest level of all times?

• Yes it's all true

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • No this is false

Votes: 116 79.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters

Bakkus

I think the castles are even better. I've yet to play the remake, though.
MGS3-The-Sorrow-Battle.jpg
You are fucking insane. Some of the most infuriating shit ever. Kojima gimmicky at it's absolute worst.

amigastar

Not the best Level in gaming but really good for sure. People who played it the first time know what i'm saying.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Gp1

Arsic

Gold Member
Diablo 2 first fields outside of town are beyond amazing. The music, monsters, the cave, and the dread hanging in the air.

I’ll redo act 1 often on D2R .

Gambit2483

I think the castles are even better. I've yet to play the remake, though.

You are fucking insane. Some of the most infuriating shit ever. Kojima gimmicky at it's absolute worst.
I disagree. It's gimmicky the 2nd through 6th time you played it....but the very first time you experienced this level was unlike anything before it. It was similar to the Psycho Mantis fight where it made you think "wtf is happening here??" and less obviously breaks the 4th wall, making you assess how much killing you have been doing and if it was all even necessary.

You can call it a gimmick but I call it a gaming experience which has never been (nor will be) replicated.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The village not lasting longer was disapointing in RE4, there should have been more village. The police station and mansion in RE1-3 are some of the best gaming levels in history. Hyrule field in ocarina of time and termina in majoras mask do the little things that make them the greatest level hubs in gaming history.

Bakkus

I disagree. It's gimmicky the 2nd through 6th time you played it....but the very first time you experienced this level was unlike anything before it. It was similar to the Psycho Mantis fight where it made you think "wtf is happening here??" and less obviously breaks the 4th wall, making you assess how much killing you have been doing and if it was all even necessary.

You can call it a gimmick but I call it a gaming experience which has never been (nor will be) replicated.
How are you supposed to know you can enter your inventory at the end when you die? How are you supposed to know that you have to use that pill? Even if you do know it, how much window do you have to actually open the inventory? Because to me it felt like less than even a second. If you don't then you have to repeat the many minutes long process ad infinitum.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
With 11 votes that means no other levels in gaming history would have as high a vote % as RE4 village.

RE4 village better than any other level finally confirmed.

Gambit2483

How are you supposed to know you can enter your inventory at the end when you die? How are you supposed to know that you have to use that pill? Even if you do know it, how much window do you have to actually open the inventory? Because to me it felt like less than even a second. If you don't then you have to repeat the many minutes long process ad infinitum.

If you don't then you have to repeat the many minutes long process ad infinitum.

Welcome to Hell. Kojima-style.

(It was never meant to be an enjoyable experience)

Last edited:
COD4:MW stealth mission
God of War 3 opening
Spec Ops: The Line the White Phosphorus mission
Vanilla Word of Warcraft starting human zone until you reach Stormwind for the first time (if you can call this a level)
MGS1 opening mission, Meryl and Wolf mission and also MGS4 furnace level
Add in Ravenholm and THE mission from Titanfall 2 as well.

the problem that re4 shares with re7 is that, as awesome as the opening sections of the games are, they both never really get better than those sections...

Last edited:

simpatico

The first time you stumble into Anor Londo has to be up there. Nice mid game payoff for a lot of hard work. Big moment.

Mozzarella

Its a very good area, but i like the Castle even more.

Spencer Mansion is the best RE level and one of the best levels ever made.

Plus you have things like Hitman Sapienza, Miami, Mumbai..etc.
Dishonored Clockwork Mansion and Lady Boyle's mansion
Thief "The Sword"
Dark Souls Sen's Fortress
And many more, if you like games with strong level design check out my thread. https://www.neogaf.com/threads/do-y...ow-do-you-differentiate-between-them.1629550/

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I'm playing RE 4 and killing the chainsaw guy in the village on hardcore difficulty this is incredibubble he takes so many hits.

Purest gaming experience ever.

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

MiguelItUp

One of the best/most memorable moments in gaming history, sure. But best, period? I dunno. The mechanics, gameplay, and innovation (especially at the time) are much more impressive IMO.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Okay I have worked out the math.

17 people have agreed that RE4 village is the best level ever.

That means a 15% of all people who voted think this is the best level in gaming histories.

If you considers all the game releases in history, one level getting 15% of all votes is unprecedented.

Mind blown. RE 4 Village won.

hyperbertha

Water temple in ocarina, sapienza in Hitman, yharnam, the sniper level in last of us are my picks

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I do think the ENCOUNTER in the village is one of the most memorable ones, simply because of how open it is to you reacting in various ways - you can try to 'defend the fort' in the big cottage, or just run around like you're scared shitless. It is used to hammer down how entirely different this game is going to be from all the previous RE games you've played where you would kill one or two enemies at the same time in a tight corridor or empty room. It's the game telling you how it is the exact opposite in philosophy from all the previous mainline RE games you've played up to now.

How you take that is up to you.

GenericUser

There are a billion brilliant levels. Just because Re4 Remake is (for a reason) the flavor of the month, does not mean we have to downplay the achievements of other developers.

The suicide mission in Mass Effect 2
The time travel mission in Titanfall 2
The last mission in the original Xcom
Fire and the Flames in Guitar Hero
The last mission in Halo Reach
Pittsburgh in The Last of Us
Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time

Top Bottom