• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Microsoft has discontinued all Xbox One consoles

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Did I or did I not say for me in my original post? I don't know what you're attempting to dispute here when I'm communicating my personal experience/thoughts?

And yes that is exactly how I judge consoles, the bulk of my 3rd party purchases are made elsewhere.

It's just a rediculous way to judge a platform, where you discount its multiplat libary, features and services. And worst console of all time for you? How many consoles have u had?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He doesn't, but it certainly doesn't sound like someone intending to do cross gen for marquee titles.

You read that and think PS4 exclusive game release will be practically non existent, especially a year after the PS5 has been on the market.

Sony would of seen the sentiment online that PS5 was not about crossgen, but they did nothing to address this wrong information.

Yeah, but this is the problem. Those quotes were pulled from an interview between Geoff Keighley and Lempel where they were talking specifically about the DualSense controller. But Keighley specifically asked Lempel about PS4 games and Lempel said there would still be games coming out for PS4. Somehow this is never quoted.

Here it is (time stamped):

Not sure what else Sony execs are supposed to say. If gamedeveloper.com writes an article that gets it wrong as they obviously did then whose fault is that?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's just a rediculous way to judge a platform. And worst console of all time for you? How many consoles have u had?

It's really not considering the legacy that consoles leave behind are their exclusive games. Why do you think emulators are developed?

I've owned 12 consoles (including handhelds) in my lifetime and it's the console that offered the least to me by a large distance. From a games library perspective it's utter shite, nobody will talk about it in a decades time and rightly so.

DaGwaphics

Sony's been consistent. Microsoft has generally have moved on to the new gen right away — the exception, as you have pointed out, was the Xbox 360.

I don't know how you could say they had generally done any particular thing heading into this transition. They had had two transitions before and went in one direction on one and the opposite way on the other, not much to build a trend on. Now, after the fact you could say they prefer flipping the switch quickly because they've done that twice (though with full backwards compatibility, not exactly the same thing).

Sosokrates

Yeah, but this is the problem. Those quotes were pulled from an interview between Geoff Keighley and Lempel where they were talking specifically about the DualSense controller. But Keighley specifically asked Lempel about PS4 games and Lempel said there would still be games coming out for PS4. Somehow this is never quoted.

Here it is (time stamped):

Not sure what else Sony execs are supposed to say. If gamedeveloper.com writes an article that gets it wrong as they obviously did then whose fault is that?

They should of made there cross gen plans clear from the start. Then they would of never had an issue.
The kieghly interview says theres more stuff coming for PS4 but does not address cross gen plans.

They made mistakes here and it was justified for people to call them out on it.

kingfey

Banned
I love this next gen vs old gen arguments
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Sosokrates

It's really not considering the legacy that consoles leave behind are their exclusive games. Why do you think emulators are developed?

I've owned 12 consoles (including handhelds) in my lifetime and it's the console that offered the least to me by a large distance. From a games library perspective it's utter shite, nobody will talk about it in a decades time and rightly so.

God knows what you think of WiiU + dreamcast then.

Also if you take out muliplats then even the Ps4 only has like 50 games. With only a third being very well regarded.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I wonder what my CIB Xbox One X Scorpio Edition is worth now or what it would be worth in the near future.
I sold my scorpio edition with an extra Xbox One controller and a bunch of old discs like Fallout 4 and Skyrim. Got $450 cdn. That was last year. Looking at Ebay.ca now, it seems it edged up a bit more as gamers desperate for game systems.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It really is a dumb argument. Generations haven't existed for some time now.
we only get few next gen games. And the 1st big next gen game was delayed. We will be in this mess, until developers have time to fix their games, due to the lost time during 2020-2021.

Romulus

The final nail in the coffin for one of Xbox's worst consoles. Even the 360 with RROD was at least powerful at launch. OG Xbox and Series S/X are great.

GametimeUK

Quite possibly the worst home console I have experienced first hand. Even before the launch it was terrible and the mandatory kinect paired with a high price tag with lower specs than the competitor did it no favours. There was a lack of stand out exclusives for that generation. The Xbox One X launch is when Microsoft started putting wheels in motion for doing things right as that console is what the PS4 Pro should have been. Good riddance to last gen Xbox, but I've welcomed the Series family with open arms.

The new consoles are amazing but if be lying if I were to say I'm surprised or bothered at the old boxes being discontinued. Hopefully Microsoft ride this new found goodwill to some success so we never have a generation like that again.

Topher

Gold Member
Quite possibly the worst home console I have experienced first hand. Even before the launch it was terrible and the mandatory kinect paired with a high price tag with lower specs than the competitor did it no favours. There was a lack of stand out exclusives for that generation. The Xbox One X launch is when Microsoft started putting wheels in motion for doing things right as that console is what the PS4 Pro should have been. Good riddance to last gen Xbox, but I've welcomed the Series family with open arms.

The new consoles are amazing but if be lying if I were to say I'm surprised or bothered at the old boxes being discontinued. Hopefully Microsoft ride this new found goodwill to some success so we never have a generation like that again.

People seem to forget that Phil Spencer had to undo all of Don Mattrick's madness just to salvage what they could for last gen. And there was a reason Microsoft bought all those studios. Xbox One first party was pathetic. I skipped Xbox entirely last gen myself as I saw no reason whatsoever to buy one. I'm sure Phil Spencer was glad to close the book on that chapter of Xbox history.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Who here actually believes that statement was a debacle?
Lol debacle I tell you!! 😂

But yeah maybe bit too harsh of a word .. but it still made news as “not being good”

Maybe I’ll change it to the “ Sony making more ps4s instead of ps5s” … murmur…

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
we only get few next gen games. And the 1st big next gen game was delayed. We will be in this mess, until developers have time to fix their games, due to the lost time during 2020-2021.
There is no such thing as next gen. Its the same games designed the same way with higher settings.

DaGwaphics

Lol.

Its funny how old stuff become so bad for some people.

But I have an OG Model in my bedroom, and I sometimes think that compared to other systems it does not feel completely obsolete, all media apps and browser work great on it and on a 1080p TV a lot of games are still play perfectly fine.

I mean, I get that its not something you want as your main console attached to a 50+ 4k tv, but compared to prior gens games are not broken.

Also if the X1 is the worst console of all time, then logically the PS4 must be your slightly less worst console of all time because they are very similar systems.

I had great fun with mine. From a business perspective, I'm sure MS would like to turn the page on it (and has already done so apparently), but that doesn't effect the players at home. Xbox Series wouldn't have the demand it does if there weren't a lot of satisfied X1 users out there looking for the next iteration.

kingfey

Banned
There is no such thing as next gen. Its the same games designed the same way with higher settings.
The medium, returnal, ratchet, demon's souls, fligh sim for consoles. We had stalker 2 for xseries which was delayed.

Old gen cant handle these games. We saw what happened, when they tried to run cyberpunk2077.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Great. Post the link to the correction, please.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Nothing about “We will not produce PS4 games anymore”.

Forbidden West, GT7 and GoW will be one of the last big games for the PS4.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That is a bad way, to support a company.

Getting rid off old gen in the 1st 2 years is suicidal. You will lose tons of sales, games will preform worse, and you wont have enough sales to fund your next project.

As much as we like to get next gen games, we need to consider the sales of these games. Without enough consoles, you wont get enough sales.

You don't have to stop software support when you stop console production. MS still released Halo and FH5 on X1, plus all the cross-gen 3rd party releases. Users on last-gen that haven't upgraded yet are still going to be around to buy software just as they would be if consoles were still being produced. People that are looking to jump into last-gen after it is already over probably aren't buying a lot of new $60/$70 games anyway.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nothing about “We will not produce PS4 games anymore”.

Forbidden West, GT7 and GoW will be one of the last big games for the PS4.

So you basically lied about Ryan issuing a subsequent correction. Because you just wasted everybody’s time by reposting the original article.

cireza

Banned
That is a bad way, to support a company.

Getting rid off old gen in the 1st 2 years is suicidal. You will lose tons of sales, games will preform worse, and you wont have enough sales to fund your next project.

As much as we like to get next gen games, we need to consider the sales of these games. Without enough consoles, you wont get enough sales.
It is not when you know how to do proper BC and have a budget option. MS have been very smart about making Series S.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
So you basically lied about Ryan issuing a subsequent correction. Because you just wasted everybody’s time by reposting the original article.

I'm glad I could give you a link and wasted your fucking time. Can't you read or something? Nothing in the article is about games but features....dumbass.

It's people like you that never understood the article, but just kept shouting "we believe in generations" without knowing what he actually meant by it.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

We do feel that we have a responsibility to that very large community, and an opportunity to carry on making great PS4 games for as long as the need is there. And I think that is the right thing to do, it’s the rational thing to do, and I think you will see a tail with PS4 that you did not see with PS3. But that said, as time passes, you’re going to see more and more emphasis on PS5 development and the PS5 SKU will be the lead SKU.

sainraja

I don't know how you could say they had generally done any particular thing heading into this transition. They had had two transitions before and went in one direction on one and the opposite way on the other, not much to build a trend on. Now, after the fact you could say they prefer flipping the switch quickly because they've done that twice (though with full backwards compatibility, not exactly the same thing).
Ok fair enough. My point referring to Sony still stands though. You should also consider the fact that Sony had full backwards compatibility at the start of the PS3 generation but they weren't in a rush to shut off PS2 production.

Lognor

Banned
Well all future first party games are next gen only so it makes perfect sense.
It really is amazing. Prior to the Xbox Series launching people were up in arms about how for at least the first year every Microsoft game was going to be cross gen and a lot of people were patting Sony on the back for "believing in generations." And now fast forward to today and here we have Microsoft making only current gen games from 2022 onward and Sony still making mostly cross gen games until at least the end of 2022, and very likely into 2023.

Really is funny to think about

Topher

Gold Member
Mr Moose Mr Moose

The ask was why, if Jim Ryan thought that the press misconstrued his words, did he make no move to correct that impression.

In response you bring up a quote from August 2021. Surely, you jest?

I wish Ryan had pointed out that error, but he probably isn't worried about correcting things for the sake of console warrior debates, which is the only place this stuff is even repeated. Factually, he and Lempel in the interview I linked previously talk about continuing to support PS4 even as gamers move toward PS5. Why would they continue to say those things over and over if they were not planning on supporting PS4?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jim Ryan will never live that quote down. Context IS important and that came on the heels of Phil defending his cross gen stance. He knew what he was doing. He also was extremely cagey about GOW, GT7, Horizon and Miles being cross gen. He was actually asked point blank at launch if GOW was cross gen like Horizon and Miles and he refused to answer the question.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jim Ryan will never live that quote down. Context IS important and that came on the heels of Phil defending his cross gen stance. He knew what he was doing. He also was extremely cagey about GOW, GT7, Horizon and Miles being cross gen. He was actually asked point blank at launch if GOW was cross gen like Horizon and Miles and he refused to answer the question.
It's not impacting them one bit. Only the tiniest of minorities (console warring) in gaming.

Mr Moose

Mr Moose Mr Moose

The ask was why, if Jim Ryan thought that the press misconstrued his words, did he make no move to correct that impression.

In response you bring up a quote from August 2021. Surely, you jest?
Maybe if people learned to read past the headlines we wouldn't be talking about this shit still.
"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."
Nothing needs to be corrected, clearly talking about the differences the new generation brings, features PS5 has over PS4.
Also, it's from an Edge interview in 2020, where are you getting August 2021 from?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Ok fair enough. My point referring to Sony still stands though. You should also consider the fact that Sony had full backwards compatibility at the start of the PS3 generation but they weren't in a rush to shut off PS2 production.

True. But cost reduction was better back then. MS has the XSS at $300, they probably would have a hard time selling X1 at a profit and undercutting the price of XSS by enough to matter.

kingfey

Banned
The main problem with that, is the release of the new console.

From a business stand point, If Jim said these games are coming to old gen, people would have grilled him like spencer.

Its why most of the games had ps5 label. Once the console release was set, and pre-orders were ready, that is when people discovered the cross gen games. What is worst is the god of war 2, hfw, and gt8 being cross gen, when they had clearly ps5 tag. That is marketing deception.

Topher

Gold Member
The main problem with that, is the release of the new console.

From a business stand point, If Jim said these games are coming to old gen, people would have grilled him like spencer.

Its why most of the games had ps5 label. Once the console release was set, and pre-orders were ready, that is when people discovered the cross gen games. What is worst is the god of war 2, hfw, and gt8 being cross gen, when they had clearly ps5 tag. That is marketing deception.

Sony screwed up with GT7 and displayed it as a PS5 exclusive, but that didn't happen with God of War or HFW.

kingfey

Banned
Sony screwed up with GT7 and displayed it as a PS5 exclusive, but that didn't happen with God of War or HFW.
Here is HFW with ps5 trailer, from PlayStation channel. It has ps5 on the title. no ps4 mention.

God of war didnt have the logo yet.

Tripolygon

Banned
Rent-free in people's heads while in the real world he is focusing on creating amazing gaming experiences, announcing VR at CES, and anticipating the launch of PSVR 2.

This is not the first Jim Ryan quote taken out of context and I'm sure it won't be the last.

kingfey

Banned
That is because it was PS5 footage. At no point does it say PS5 exclusive.
Showing a ps5 footage, indicates its a ps5 exclusive game. You dont show one system, and hide the other. That is a marketing deception, since it would make your audience think, the game is ps5 exclusive.

Top Bottom