• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Unforgettable Ghost of Tsushima Opening That Almost Wasn't | Art of the Level

3liteDragon

Ghost of Tsushima introduced players to the story of Jin Sakai, a trained samurai defending his home against Mongol invaders using unconventional means. The PS4/PS5 open-world adventure from Sucker Punch was hailed by its audience, and among its many notable achievements was its opening title card sequence, commonly referenced in discussions about Ghost of Tsushima’s artistry.

But were it not for a simple piece of feedback, that beloved moment in Ghost of Tsushima which has brought streamers to tears wouldn’t have existed the way it does. We spoke to members of the Sucker Punch team, and the PlayStation executive who offered the feedback that inspired them, on how Ghost of Tsushima’s beautiful title sequence came to be. Ahead of the Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s Cut launch, learn from the developers themselves about the title card's surprising development process, how it affected Ghost of Tsushima’s broader opening, and how everything came together into the magical moment that introduces Ghost’s open world to players. This is Art of the Level.

I think I was messing with the brightness settings. I can't forget hating that there wasn't a notch between two vastly diffetent looking notches. And that mask for setting brightness....and digital foundry's shit advice. Whatever.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I enjoyed the scenery, graphics and the early game. Even the combat was decent, but after a while it just started feeling too formulaic and repetitive.

7/10

[Sigma]

It's a classic :messenger_sunglasses:

First set of posters in this thread
e3ab077420542d1a64091814810463f1.gif

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

While Nintendo invests in games, Sony and Microsoft invests in marketing and propaganda

Never gonna make it

Since 2020 Playstation has released these for console exclusively. Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, Astrobot, Returnal, Spiderman MM,
Final Fantast 7 Remake, Demon Souls, Guilty Gear, Ratchet and Clank plus more.
With smaller titles like Kena and Stray coming along with bigger titles like God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2, Final Fantasy 16 and Gran Turismo 7 coming in 2022.

Its safe to say Sony has been investing in games.

As much as I love Nintendo, it will be interesting to see their future when they have finished releasing Wii U and Wii ports and have to rely on making new games. Almost half of Nintendo’s big releases are games ported from the Wii/U ( which im enjoying anyway )

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

The intro was awesome, especially when the title pops up when your riding that horse when that music hits. Epic.

I was pleasantly surprised with the battle system in Ghost, as I wasn’t a fan of Infamous’s combat, it always felt like something was missing and kinda lifeless.
After playing Sekiro I didnt think any sword to sword combat would be close but Ghost of Tsushima was awesome.
Anyyone saying Ghost is an Assassins creed clone is dreaming. Assassins Creed wishes it had combat like Ghost of Tsushima.
Looking forward to the sequel

nowhat

Assassins Creed wishes it had combat like Ghost of Tsushima.
I got Valhalla off a sale after a long break from the series, and I found the combat atrocious. Sure, there are flashy animations. At the same time, there's like zero weight to your actions. Feels like the weapons are made out of Styrofoam.

Kokoloko85

I got Valhalla off a sale after a long break from the series, and I found the combat atrocious. Sure, there are flashy animations. At the same time, there's like zero weight to your actions. Feels like the weapons are made out of Styrofoam.
I haven’t played the newer Assassins Creed but I can imagine.
I did like the older ones but as far as overall quality goes and combat, there not close to Ghost of Tsushima in the slightest

Anyyone saying Ghost is an Assassins creed clone is dreaming. Assassins Creed wishes it had combat like Ghost of Tsushima.
Looking forward to the sequel
It's pretty much the same system as the original AC games, not the post-Origins combat. There's a soft lock on, with a focus on animation priority and counters. Then you get to watch all the cool animations over and over. It's literally almost exactly the same as the original AC games. There's a reason that series was hugely successful, and has had sequels to this day. I remember just attacking the guards so I could fight dozens of enemies in town over and over and over to land counters and watch the kill animations.

Kokoloko85

It's pretty much the same system as the original AC games, not the post-Origins combat. There's a soft lock on, with a focus on animation priority and counters. Then you get to watch all the cool animations over and over. It's literally almost exactly the same as the original AC games. There's a reason that series was hugely successful, and has had sequels to this day. I remember just attacking the guards so I could fight dozens of enemies in town over and over and over to land counters and watch the kill animations.

Umm I dunno. It has the same lock on but its alot more interactive, faster and precise. I can’t remember the same amount of long killing animations like in AC. Once you got a counter in AC it was like an instant death for the enemy alot of the time.
Plus the whole skill tree and techniques And way more varied enemies GOT. Its similar in some ways but alot more depth in GoT.

I did like the AC games and combat till Unity, AC3 had my favourite combat but I wouldnt say its as clean and focused as the GoT combat.

Umm I dunno. It has the same lock on but its alot more interactive, faster and precise. I can’t remember the same amount of long killing animations like in AC. Once you got a counter in AC it was like an instant death for the enemy alot of the time.
Plus the whole skill tree and techniques And way more varied enemies GOT. Its similar in some ways but alot more depth in GoT.

I did like the AC games and combat till Unity, AC3 had my favourite combat but I wouldnt say its as clean and focused as the GoT combat.
Ghost is definitely the better game. I just meant the styles are fairly similar, but I too prefer the combat in Ghost. Some of those kills in the original AC games were always a good time though. I think a lot of people forgot that it was fun.

Kokoloko85

Ghost is definitely the better game. I just meant the styles are fairly similar, but I too prefer the combat in Ghost. Some of those kills in the original AC games were always a good time though. I think a lot of people forgot that it was fun.
Hmmm, now I might start the series again lol. I already have AC3 remaster ( I know its hated and has limited assassination Missions but I love the setting )
I need to get the Ezio trilogy too and not sure if the original even got a port to current gen?

Hmmm, now I might start the series again lol. I already have AC3 remaster ( I know its hated and has limited assassination Missions but I love the setting )
I need to get the Ezio trilogy too and not sure if the original even got a port to current gen?
I don't think it actually did get ported now that you mention it. Unity was the newest one that used the old combat system, so that might be a fun one to play around in. I haven't played them for years and they'll probably feel dated, but back in the day AC2 was one of my favorite games for sure!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Tsushima is beautiful. The world/scenery/environment/ambience coupled with it's setting was the game's foremost highlight for me personally. Can't wait to eventually revisit in 60fps.

GoT and BotW (and DS) are only games in years and years where I felt genuinely motivated, interested and just simply worthy to explore 100% (besides their flaws.)

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
They should have instead fired whoever it was that added the shit slow motion effect to every cinematic kill. It totally ruined the whole thing.

Last edited:

RyRy93

Tsushima is beautiful. The world/scenery/environment/ambience coupled with it's setting was the game's foremost highlight for me personally. Can't wait to eventually revisit in 60fps.

GoT and BotW (and DS) are only games in years and years where I felt genuinely motivated, interested and just simply worthy to explore 100% (besides their flaws.)
I agree, those are the 3 games I could happily just walk around in, even if they all have large expanses of game world without any meaningful content.

DS makes traversal engaging, BOTW gives you lots of ways to interact with the world and GoT has a very relaxing atmosphere.

Top Bottom