• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Uncharted Series is Being Rebooted, Leaker Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
uncharted-reboot.jpg
A new report from Theleak.co suggests that the Uncharted Series has been greenlit for a reboot, but won’t be developed by Naughty Dog.

According to The Leak, the series will be handed to an “unknown developer”, but Naughty Dog is expected to initially assist the new team.

By Oct 2019, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End sold 15 million copies (in 4 years). In 2015, Naughty Dog lead game designer Robert Cogburn suggested in an interview with Kotaku that Uncharted 4 was likely the last in the series.

“These games are hard to make. Particularly with a character like Nathan Drake in a world that’s fairly grounded, it’s a challenge to consider how much more we can expand the universe while adhering to those sorts of rules.”, Cogburn said.

“That’s not to say the questions will be the same in games we make going forward, but as a studio we grow tired of answering those same types of questions in the same fiction. It’s gonna be fun for us to really embark on new ideas and start fleshing those out [in a new series].”

The Leak has a generally good track record when it comes to reporting leaks across a number of industries and although Insider Gaming was unable to corroborate the report, we have heard rumblings of something to do with the Uncharted series in the past (but once again could not corroborate this report).

As for when this supposed Uncharted reboot will be announced, is anyone’s guess, but we wouldn’t be surprised if its a few years down the line.

kyliethicc

Spider-man / Tomb Raider approach wouldn't shock me

just do a few games, reboot, repeat

I'd prefer a direct sequel to Lost Legacy tho

I really liked Uncharted, but does it really need a reboot? Imo, part 4 ended nicely. I think I rather even see an Uncharted 5 or Lost Legacy 2 over a reboot.

Last edited:
Well it definitely needs a reboot if it is to continue! I would prefer it to be designed like old school resident evil personally.

Honestly I feel uncharted can be pretty flexible. It doesn't need drake and it doesn't need to be modern day. As long as we're exploring "uncharted territory" it can be anywhere.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jesus christ folks joking about Remakestation are turning out true by the day.

Why not just continue with a new cast, why "reboot" ?

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I can almost see them doing it with Nates daughter, grown up following in the footsteps of her father and Nate can also make a return with existing characters very briefly...

Rambotito

It will follow the adventures of a young Nathan Drake, a non-binary, trans little person who must find and save indigenous artifacts from WhiteCorp, an evil CISHET fascist corporation who wants to bring back the Confederacy for some unknown fucking reason.
He will be joined by his sidekicks Guatemala Chávez and Kris "G.N." (gender neutral) Jones.

Damigos

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The industry needs to let some franchises die. I liked that Sony used to just move on.

Uncharted still has a ton of untapped potential and is way more interesting to me than TLoU

Give the IP to a new or existing studio and let them redevelop the franchise. Worked well for GoW

Chukhopops

Pitch: a reverse Uncharted game where you infiltrate museums to steal artifacts and return them to their origin country.

Also you murder Nathan Drake with a macuhahuitl (some kind of Aztec golf club) in the first chapter as payback for pillaging your country.

Salz01

Not sure it needs a reboot, just a decent handoff in the narrative. I mean they set up his daughter to take the reigns…..

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To be fair they never really had mega selling franchises until last gen.
Yeah, thats obviously the reason. I guess KZ, Resistance, Jak, and Sly not selling too well was a blessing in disguise. Imagine if ND was like Nintendo still making Jak and Daxter. We wouldve never gotten Uncharted and TLOU. Just imagine everything Nintendo EAD couldve made if they werent forced to slave away on Mario for the last 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom