• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Time Machine (2002) is such a weird movie

SantaC

First of all, the movie has great atmosphere and holds ups in that regard very well even today. I almost thought it was Tim Burton directing it.

Then here comes the weirdness. The first half of the movie is very interesting; a scientist trying to go back in time to save his loved one. That's something we all want to do. I really enjoyed this aspect, but here comes the bad.

The second part is shit. The interesting time travel part turns into some low tier monster movie with some terrible lord of the ring orchs. What the fuck, it was awful from the moment he got into some stupid future caveman shit.

What a waste in an othervise interesting premise.

tsumake

The director of film was hired because he was a relative of H.G. Wells (Simon Wells). Apparently he didn’t know what he was doing and had a breakdown. The producers brought in Gore Verbinski (POTC) to finish the film, which probably accounts for the tonal inconsistency.

SantaC

Uh you understand it based on a classic H. G. Wells novel right?

The future cave man part is right out of the book.
Yes i know that it was based of H.G wells novel (have not read it). That doesnt excuse the terrible second half.

Last edited:

showernota

I remember the whole theater busting out in laughter when his girlfriend got run over by the carriage. I think it happened in the background, like a comedy.

I_D

Uh you understand it based on a classic H. G. Wells novel right?

The future cave man part is right out of the book.

Extreeeeeeeeeemely loosely based.

In the novel, the future cavemen are childlike, happy creatures, which don't even seem to know what violence is.

SantaC

I remember the whole theater busting out in laughter when his girlfriend got run over by the carriage. I think it happened in the background, like a comedy.
Yeah it was kinda silly. But i enjoyed the 1899 New York stuff.

The jungle in the future was just terrible. Also the dude had a time machine but decided to stay in that shitty place. Wat.

Last edited:
Yes i know that it was based of H.G wells novel (have not read it). That doesnt excuse the terrible second half.

I say it only because that monster half you describe is the part that is actually true to the original novel (man devolving into two species: the naive Eloi and Morlock monsters) Its really the primary theme of the book.

The whole going back in time to save a loved one is made up for the 2002 movie version. And it is not canonical.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I watched it but I remember there being something like mutant cannibal cavemen in the 40s or 50s version as well.

I remember liking the older one much more. You might want to check that one out and see what you think.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The director of film was hired because he was a relative of H.G. Wells (Simon Wells). Apparently he didn’t know what he was doing and had a breakdown. The producers brought in Gore Verbinski (POTC) to finish the film, which probably accounts for the tonal inconsistency.
They also cut a huge chunk of the movie out due to 9/11. Originally you saw the moon shatter and pieces smash into Earth. That was all cut out.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Have you ever watched the original movie. I think it is a classic and I love it. The newer one isn't great.

He's a respected animator who directed Prince of Egypt and worked on every DreamWorks hit. I think his breakdown had more to do with studio interference than lack of experience. He came back for post-production but according to Guy Pearce the movie that premiered is not the movie he filmed lol

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I remember going to see this at the theater but have not thought about it once since I walked out when it was over. All I remember is that the actor portraying the main character needed to eat a sandwich or three.

Top Bottom