• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch lite is the greatest hand held ever made!

Nintendo Online: For $20 a month one gets access to Online play and a bunch of Nintendo legacy games. Nintendo still has a long ways to go to get their online systems up to the level of Microsoft or Sony, it is a blast playng people online with this Device. Games Like Mario Kart, Smash, etc. I have never really had a bad online experience using the switch lite.

So instead of making their previous virtual console library accessible to everyone, including previous owners of the Wii & Wii U, you prefer the prospect of paying a subscription where Nintendo has all the control and can rotate the library at whim?

This was more of a rhetorical question as in general I'm having the complete opposite experience with the Switch, particularly
the recent output mainly being indie titles and Wii U ports. Which would be sort of okay if Nintendo didn't consolidate their handheld and console divisions and set the expectations that consumers would be getting more content, not less.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

How ironic for MAtgS MAtgS to throw that triggered emoji at me when it's obvious he is the one triggered by my truth.

I love Nintendo, it's not my fault they let this continue.

Last edited:

me0wish

The Switch has been great, but the last 2 years have been very disappointing, plus, most of the Switch hidden gems are garbage, so variety is also lacking. So nope, DS is the handheld king, I hope next year will turn things around, the Switch needs another 2017-2018.

DESTROYA

The Switch has been great, but the last 2 years have been very disappointing, plus, most of the Switch hidden gems are garbage, so variety is also lacking. So nope, DS is the handheld king, I hope next year will turn things around, the Switch needs another 2017-2018.
How so, they have released some great games that have sold very well.
Maybe you were disappointed .

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I hate these threads. They feed into my want to just impulse buy a switch lol. But I haven't gone back to Nintendo since the n64.
I was the same way brother. My last was the Wii but even then I barely played the Wii. My buddy had a switch lite and let me play his. I instantly fell in love and knew I had to get one. It really is an incredible little machine.

Tschumi

It's too big. That's my main quibble. The thing's embarrassing for an adult to use anywhere but their living room.. this is strictly my opinion of course..

I have a vita. With it i can play all vita games, psp, many many psx, also many pre-psx console's entire libraries.. it's smaller, it has much better homebrew... Better battery life..

Vita.

I'm NOT saying you're wrong, or I'm right. That's just how i feel. These videos also feel my way, at least~

FOR THE RECORD, my next console buy will be an og switch for Metroid Prime and Zelda and whatnot. Lumines remake.

Should i snag this for my Vita bro? Always on the look out for psp gems

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi my guy Gamer79 Gamer79 you have to get Trials of Mana. This is currently my favorite game so far.

ZNTwpb7.jpg

Last edited:

Zannegan

Nice little (big) handheld. I might have bought one if they'd kept the TV out function, just as an option. Couch coop is too core to Nintendo systems to go without when I have the choice.

Here's hoping the Switch Pro or whatever offers a decent upgrade without any artificial drawbacks.

I find the library lacking and generally uncreative. The GBA, DS and even the PSP are much better. It may be on par with the 3DS, that remains to be seen.

EDMIX

I disagree.

By default it will be the normal Switch. The ability to out to the TV is just too big of a feature to then say the one that lacks features is better...

Hugare

The Switch is a success due to its library, and it really has a damn good library

But thats it, really

You can't say that its controls are fine, fam

Without a grip, its borderline unplayable. Unconfortable as fuck. With a grip, it's fine, but still not great and will never be.

Battery life is also not great.

Screen is low res and doesnt have good contrast

The damn thing is huge, specially with a grip attached.

I can only play it at home. There's no way I can play it in the subway and etc. without looking like an idiot.

It's like going out with an over ear headphone. Technically, you can, but that doesnt mean you should.

Besides, it doesnt fit in pockets. So the 3DS is still my best option for handheld while I'm outdoors.

Last edited:

wd40

i feel that even for a cheaper handheld it's underpowered, its rocking like 2005 console specs in there, maybe a little better. I'd expect a modern handheld be almost up to par wtih PS4 and Xbox One at this point. I feel it's a wee bit too big too, and while in 2017-2018 the game lineup was godlike, 2019 onward has seen a pretty big drought, and I don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to. I hope they turn the Switch around with some new kickass big first party titles.

The Switch is a success due to its library, and it really has a damn good library

But thats it, really

You can't say that its controls are fine, fam

Without a grip, its borderline unplayable. Unconfortable as fuck. With a grip, it's fine, but still not great and will never be.

Battery life is also not great.

Screen is low res and doesnt have good contrast

The damn thing is huge, specially with a grip attached.

I can only play it at home. There's no way I can play it in the subway and etc. without looking like an idiot.

It's like going out with an over ear headphone. Technically, you can, but that doesnt mean you should.

Besides, it doesnt fit in pockets. So the 3DS is still my best option for handheld while I'm outdoors.
The library means almost everything though. One reason I consider PS2 to be the best console ever is due to the selection.

I agree controls aren't great. I have giant Nephalim-like hands and I'm having issues with jumping and attacking. I love Xbox controllers. Those were nice in my hands.

I have no issue with the screen. Colors are vibrant. Trials of Mana looks great on it.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
My Vita drifts and it causes my heart great pain, you think I'd allow myself to take another L like that with the Switch Lite? Lol. Maybe if Nintendo fixes it first.

Lookie lookie Ani what I found.

It's been sitting inside a case for about a decade and I lost the power adaptor so it probably doesn't work anymore.

uYaxaJ0.jpg

buizel

Banned

It's been sitting inside a case for about a decade and I lost the power adaptor so it probably doesn't work anymore.

uYaxaJ0.jpg

It probably does. Psp and vita are beast.

PSP you can also hook up to TV and play games on TV, unlike switch Lite

uYaxaJ0.jpg
It probably does. Psp and vita are beast.

PSP you can also hook up to TV and play games on TV, unlike switch Lite
The only way to know would be to obtain a power adaptor and cord.

Some of my library still remaining

R9qkJ8t.png

Fortunately the PSP has perfect Sega CD emulation.
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the PSP version was a remake of Lunar 1 and a rather poor one at that.

I do know the Eternal Blue remake on PS1 was much better and kept the story intact. One day I wish to own a factory sealed copy of Eternal Blue Complete on PS1 as the original Sega CD game might be the best JRPG I have ever played.

That game was an absolute gem.

Edit: Ah I see what you meant now about emulation.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I love my Lite, it is a great console but we haven't had the breadth of exclusives and innovation that we saw on the PSP. I play plenty of PSP games on my Vita (a great handheld that did not thrive) to this very day.

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the PSP version was a remake of Lunar 1 and a rather poor one at that.

Lunar was remade many times (PS1/SATURN, GBA, PSP) but the PSP version is not bad at all, at least in my estimation.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Disclaimer* Lets try to keep the fanboy shit to the mininmum here. I am a neutral gamer and play on multiple platforms.

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that most people who bash the switch has never held one. The truth is your holding something more powerful than an xbox 360 or ps3 in the palm of your hands. I do agree that the ps5 and x series X is much more powerful. That being said, when your playing on the switch lite screen that power is irrelevant.

Graphics: The screen is 720p at 5.5 inches. To say the least 720p and 4k do not make much of a difference with a 5.5 inch screen. The games simply look gorgeous by any standard. Despite being on much lower powered hardware; games like Zelda BOTW, Mario Oddyssey, Smash Bros, Hades, and so many others hold up to any modern standard. It is quite amazing how good these games look when one considers it is a hand held device.

Controls: From my experience, the best controls ever put on a hand held device. Analog sticks, triggers, best d pad, touch screen, everything just feels right. Outside of some users having issues with Joy-con Drift, there is nothing to complain about here.

Library: This is really impressive. Along with Nintendo's top notch exclusives there is a huge digital app store. There are games to play across all different genre's.

Battery Life: Take your top of the line smartphone, play a graphics intensive game on it, and the Switch lite probably last longer. From my experience (I play at 80% brightness) I get from 3.5-6 hours a charge. I did the smart thing and bought a charging case for my switch that extends it to 12 hours+. It can be played while charging to hooked to external battery.

Sound: It sounds good but I wish Nintendo would of made the speakers forward facing. It gets loud enough but pointing downward.

Screen: The screen looks great. Colors pop while dark levels are good. The down side is Nintendo made it out of plastic. A glass screen protector is recommended to avoid scratches.

Store: With access to the Nintendo store, games are constantly going on sale.

Nintendo Online: For $20 a year one gets access to Online play and a bunch of Nintendo legacy games. Nintendo still has a long ways to go to get their online systems up to the level of Microsoft or Sony, it is a blast playng people online with this Device. Games Like Mario Kart, Smash, etc. I have never really had a bad online experience using the switch lite.

Looks: This device is a really slick looking device. It comes in a variety of covers along with the ability to buy skinz and cases for it. Customize to your liking.

Price: All of that for $200 in 2020. When you take into account what a smart phone cost, that is insane.

Some of the best games and for some people THE best games for a handheld... I can see that.

Best HW considering the times no... sorry that still belongs to PS Vita (original OLED model) which to be fair you may not have experience with. DPad, OLED, Online capabilities, OS features and speed, BC (PSP and PSOne without the need of a subscription), etc...I think it still comes out on top on all of those elements... especially the DPad.

Last edited:
I do know the Eternal Blue remake on PS1 was much better and kept the story intact. One day I wish to own a factory sealed copy of Eternal Blue Complete on PS1 as the original Sega CD game might be the best JRPG I have ever played.

That game was an absolute gem.

Edit: Ah I see what you meant now about emulation.
The PSP can also emulate PS1 games perfectly (finished Alundra, RE1-3, SotN and FF7 on it). So you can play all of these versions on it.
Of course the Vita is even better as it also has fullspeed SNES- and Amiga-emulation.

Chukhopops

Technology wise yes there's no contest. Library wise I think the 3DS still has a slightly better one, especially when you consider it plays DS games too.

3DS has a ridiculous amount of top tier JRPGs: SMT4/A, Strange Journey, Devil Summoner, DQVII, DQVIII, Bravely Default and Bravely Second, etc.

3DS has a fantastic library of classic games you can actually buy, with plenty of amazing SNES/MegaDrive/GameBoy Color, etc. It has many underrated classics like Kid Icarus, the Theathrythm series, Ryhtm Heaven and more.

Switch barely has any good dungeon crawler when 3DS has multiple Etrian Odyssey games, the Persona Q series and many more. I consider FE:Awakening and FE:Conquest to be better than FE3H but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Switch on the other hand has better indie support and is slowly becoming better for first party games too. In a year or two it will be the better library for sure.

Vita is completely outclassed on all aspects and people are looking at it with rose-tinted glasses, forgetting a lot of awful PS3 ports running at 20fps, really bad analog sticks, proprietary memory cards where everything over 16GB cost an arm, etc. I still have great memories of my Vita but looking at it now it looks obsolete.

Dazrael

The 3DS and the Switch are hampered by its d-pad placement. Why does Nintendo always think that the analogue stick should go above the d-pad? It just brings on early onset of arthritis.

Technology wise yes there's no contest. Library wise I think the 3DS still has a slightly better one, especially when you consider it plays DS games too.

3DS has a ridiculous amount of top tier JRPGs: SMT4/A, Strange Journey, Devil Summoner, DQVII, DQVIII, Bravely Default and Bravely Second, etc.

3DS has a fantastic library of classic games you can actually buy, with plenty of amazing SNES/MegaDrive/GameBoy Color, etc. It has many underrated classics like Kid Icarus, the Theathrythm series, Ryhtm Heaven and more.

Switch barely has any good dungeon crawler when 3DS has multiple Etrian Odyssey games, the Persona Q series and many more. I consider FE:Awakening and FE:Conquest to be better than FE3H but that's a matter of opinion I guess.

Switch on the other hand has better indie support and is slowly becoming better for first party games too. In a year or two it will be the better library for sure.

Vita is completely outclassed on all aspects and people are looking at it with rose-tinted glasses, forgetting a lot of awful PS3 ports running at 20fps, really bad analog sticks, proprietary memory cards where everything over 16GB cost an arm, etc. I still have great memories of my Vita but looking at it now it looks obsolete.
Yeah I can't honestly remember VITA having that good of a library albeit they had some good ones like Cold Steel and Tokyo Xanadu, but those games are also on PS3 and GOG/PC and run a lot better there.

JimiNutz

Banned
Picked one up for my gf recently and I really like it.
Think I'm gonna have to pick one up for myself as well and leave the normal Switch docked all of that time.

Luckily for me I haven't had any joy con drift on anything yet but its absolutely ridiculous that they haven't fixed that yet.

Daymos

I still love my new 3ds xl as a pure handheld over the lite.. its close, but the thing that puts the lite behind is that 3rd person open world RPGs just play far better on a TV and when you look at the games that are left 3ds (with ds support) is still a bit better

In terms of drifting.. From my 3.5 years of switch experience drift is directly related to how rough you are on the sticks. So if you buy a lite to play slow rpgs you'll be fine for years, however if you immediately start playing smash bros, dark souls, and other heavy action games for hours a day you're far better off buying the standard switch and an extra left joycon to use while your first stick is being repaired (for free).

I've never had a stick drift on standard switch or switch lite, but I've literally been playing 1000s of hours of turn based or auto attack rpgs. My other family members have all had drift.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Best HW considering the times no... sorry that still belongs to PS Vita (original OLED model) which to be fair you may not have experience with. DPad, OLED, Online capabilities, OS features and speed, BC (PSP and PSOne without the need of a subscription), etc...I think it still comes out on top on all of those elements... especially the DPad
Ehh it has a shit memory solution for the record. That's a big flaw that basically knocks the system down.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It could. But I think people love to forget how troublesome and pricey it is for some, or worse for the general market whenever they lauded the Vita.

Gotcha, but still even there a small card and physics games would go a long way. I am not seeing pricing of those proprietary cards being far off line from the prices Apple or Samsung charge for memory upgrades or doubling storage for XSS/XSX (which gets a lot less flack), but yeah. I get your point.

Despite all of that I think it was an overall better HW.

MagnesG

Banned
Gotcha, but still even there a small card and physics games would go a long way. I am not seeing pricing of those proprietary cards being far off line from the prices Apple or Samsung charge for memory upgrades or doubling storage for XSS/XSX (which gets a lot less flack), but yeah. I get your point.

Despite all of that I think it was an overall better HW.
Yeah, I guess strictly on HW standpoint Vita is good. Aside from piracy concerns I think Sony just wanted to bank on proprietary mmc to cut cost on the system, to further subsidize it. The inability to use internal memory when a mmc was slot in is also BS.

00_Zer0

The OG Switch is so versatile and hackable that I believe it's the best handheld. With the OG Switch you have a choice between handheld mode and TV mode. You can hack it to add emulators and games to it, or choose to dump your Switch games on PC to play on a Switch emulator. The cherry on top for me is the controllers come off the OG Switch and you can play games in Tate mode with the Flip Grip. There's something special playing these old arcade centric games with the Flip Grip, like you are holding a miniature arcade in your own hands.

Last edited:

Gamer79

How so, they have released some great games that have sold very well.
Maybe you were disappointed .
Really? I have been finding great games. Oragami K
I still love my new 3ds xl as a pure handheld over the lite.. its close, but the thing that puts the lite behind is that 3rd person open world RPGs just play far better on a TV and when you look at the games that are left 3ds (with ds support) is still a bit better

In terms of drifting.. From my 3.5 years of switch experience drift is directly related to how rough you are on the sticks. So if you buy a lite to play slow rpgs you'll be fine for years, however if you immediately start playing smash bros, dark souls, and other heavy action games for hours a day you're far better off buying the standard switch and an extra left joycon to use while your first stick is being repaired (for free).

I've never had a stick drift on standard switch or switch lite, but I've literally been playing 1000s of hours of turn based or auto attack rpgs. My other family members have all had drift.
From what I understand, Drift comes from dirt getting into the stick sensors.

Gamer79

I also flip the buttons on my switch lite to like ps4 contorls. Can't get use to having A as the ok button.

Top Bottom