• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch lite is the greatest hand held ever made!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Disclaimer* Lets try to keep the fanboy shit to the mininmum here. I am a neutral gamer and play on multiple platforms.

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that most people who bash the switch has never held one. The truth is your holding something more powerful than an xbox 360 or ps3 in the palm of your hands. I do agree that the ps5 and x series X is much more powerful. That being said, when your playing on the switch lite screen that power is irrelevant.

Graphics: The screen is 720p at 5.5 inches. To say the least 720p and 4k do not make much of a difference with a 5.5 inch screen. The games simply look gorgeous by any standard. Despite being on much lower powered hardware; games like Zelda BOTW, Mario Oddyssey, Smash Bros, Hades, and so many others hold up to any modern standard. It is quite amazing how good these games look when one considers it is a hand held device.

Controls: From my experience, the best controls ever put on a hand held device. Analog sticks, triggers, best d pad, touch screen, everything just feels right. Outside of some users having issues with Joy-con Drift, there is nothing to complain about here.

Library: This is really impressive. Along with Nintendo's top notch exclusives there is a huge digital app store. There are games to play across all different genre's.

Battery Life: Take your top of the line smartphone, play a graphics intensive game on it, and the Switch lite probably last longer. From my experience (I play at 80% brightness) I get from 3.5-6 hours a charge. I did the smart thing and bought a charging case for my switch that extends it to 12 hours+. It can be played while charging to hooked to external battery.

Sound: It sounds good but I wish Nintendo would of made the speakers forward facing. It gets loud enough but pointing downward.

Screen: The screen looks great. Colors pop while dark levels are good. The down side is Nintendo made it out of plastic. A glass screen protector is recommended to avoid scratches.

Store: With access to the Nintendo store, games are constantly going on sale.

Nintendo Online: For $20 a year one gets access to Online play and a bunch of Nintendo legacy games. Nintendo still has a long ways to go to get their online systems up to the level of Microsoft or Sony, it is a blast playng people online with this Device. Games Like Mario Kart, Smash, etc. I have never really had a bad online experience using the switch lite.

Looks: This device is a really slick looking device. It comes in a variety of covers along with the ability to buy skinz and cases for it. Customize to your liking.

Price: All of that for $200 in 2020. When you take into account what a smart phone cost, that is insane.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
if we discount the drift I agree. Haven't had that issue on any of the switches I have used.

Only reason I stopped using mine is because I got a laptop that fill the same function for me just better.

cireza

Banned
Controls: From my experience, the best controls ever put on a hand held device.
Poor button placement. Otherwise, it is a good handheld, and the screen resolution is a good fit for many games, including retro stuff in 240/360p.

Screen: The screen looks great.
Typical Nintendo lottery with yellow screens, but it's not too bad.

Overall, the Vita is a better handheld. Better screen (OLED model), better button placement. However, its resolution (544p) was not as practical as the Switch's.

Last edited:

TexMex

Dlg38LO.jpg

xBlueStonex

The "Lite" in the title describes how I feel about it... a lighter child-friendly version of the real Switch, which was already insanely underpowered. We're talking sub-720p gaming in 2020.

For those too young to remember, the original PSP was (and still is) the handheld king. It felt insanely premium for its time, and its game catalog is still one of the best around.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The controls are awful, playing the Rogue Company game on the Switch's joy cons is an absolute nightmare, so playing on a Lite would be just as awful.

The Vita is honestly still one of the BEST portable consoles out there, it's a shame it's collection of games is kind of bad, but it felt great to hold and the games controlled well. That OLED screen :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I got one recently on eBay for cheap and it's not bad at all, to be honest. It has the potential to be an emulator beast

Jeeves

• It doesn't fit in a pocket
  • It's not clamshell so you have to keep it in a case
  • Battery life is poorer than past handhelds
  • The sticks make it even more prone to damage
I understand due to the higher-tech nature of Switch games it's strange to compare it to something like a 3DS, but when I'm traveling the 3DS is still what I bring with me, not the Switch. The Lite basically has all the disadvantages of a console form-factor with none of the advantages, in my opinion.

Kuranghi

Disclaimer* Lets try to keep the fanboy shit to the mininmum here. I am a neutral gamer and play on multiple platforms.

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that most people who bash the switch has never held one. The truth is your holding something more powerful than an xbox 360 or ps3 in the palm of your hands. I do agree that the ps5 and x series X is much more powerful. That being said, when your playing on the switch lite screen that power is irrelevant.

Graphics: The screen is 720p at 5.5 inches. To say the least 720p and 4k do not make much of a difference with a 5.5 inch screen. The games simply look gorgeous by any standard. Despite being on much lower powered hardware; games like Zelda BOTW, Mario Oddyssey, Smash Bros, Hades, and so many others hold up to any modern standard. It is quite amazing how good these games look when one considers it is a hand held device.

Controls: From my experience, the best controls ever put on a hand held device. Analog sticks, triggers, best d pad, touch screen, everything just feels right. Outside of some users having issues with Joy-con Drift, there is nothing to complain about here.

Library: This is really impressive. Along with Nintendo's top notch exclusives there is a huge digital app store. There are games to play across all different genre's.

Battery Life: Take your top of the line smartphone, play a graphics intensive game on it, and the Switch lite probably last longer. From my experience (I play at 80% brightness) I get from 3.5-6 hours a charge. I did the smart thing and bought a charging case for my switch that extends it to 12 hours+. It can be played while charging to hooked to external battery.

Sound: It sounds good but I wish Nintendo would of made the speakers forward facing. It gets loud enough but pointing downward.

Screen: The screen looks great. Colors pop while dark levels are good. The down side is Nintendo made it out of plastic. A glass screen protector is recommended to avoid scratches.

Store: With access to the Nintendo store, games are constantly going on sale.

Nintendo Online: For $20 a month one gets access to Online play and a bunch of Nintendo legacy games. Nintendo still has a long ways to go to get their online systems up to the level of Microsoft or Sony, it is a blast playng people online with this Device. Games Like Mario Kart, Smash, etc. I have never really had a bad online experience using the switch lite.

Looks: This device is a really slick looking device. It comes in a variety of covers along with the ability to buy skinz and cases for it. Customize to your liking.

Price: All of that for $200 in 2020. When you take into account what a smart phone cost, that is insane.

I hardly ever play handheld but I played a bit of SMO handheld yesterday and even ~1080p on a 65" screen at 9' in docked mode looks a lot less pixelated than 720p on a 5.5" screen from 0.75' does.

I just can't agree with that its super pixelated and I find it quite distracting in some games, SMO I just put up with the extreme blur when the game is really stressing the Switch because I can't play it elsewhere but I couldn't play DQXI:S because it was so aliased (so glad thats coming to PC finally).

So I'd say its quite a big failing of the system for me, I would've paid £350 if it meant higher IQ (and locked 60 in games where there are occasional dips below 60) but the exact same graphics and features.

Vita have

Better screen(amoled)
Best dpad (said by many)
Features + OS is lightyears ahead of switch
Overal build quality is more premium feeling
Better ergonomy with grip
Is dead :(

Switch just feels like "hey lets make low quality and slow handheld with high price"

Too bad vita died, but it means life

Saber

Gold Member
I hate these threads. They feed into my want to just impulse buy a switch lol. But I haven't gone back to Nintendo since the n64.

Because thats the word of mouth to you. People sometimes spit too much hapiness for something that is not much of a big deal.
I remember buying my DS and it was a blast. Heard a fella like OP glorifing 3DS, and since I was pretty convinced with DS I bought a 3DS. Still one my worst purchases...frankly its not worth. I may have like 3 games on it.

Last edited:
I wish I got one back when I had $200 to blow (I already own a Switch). Might check into it again this holiday if Analogue keeps failing to put their latest handheld back on sale.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
But why not make it compatible with the dock? Because no one would buy the other version is why. It’s a total scam.

TexMex

This will always be my favorite. Clamshell design so you wouldn't have to worry about scratches. Backlit unlike its predecessor. Perfectly pocket-sized with excellent controls and button placement. It was such an amazing feeling to be able to play Super Mario World and A Link to the Past on the go.

Agree. GBA handheld library is unmatched and that design was too perfect. I’m very anal about keeping my hardware nice which led to me just using my portables at home. But I took this thing everywhere. No clue how many hours I pumped into Advance Wars on this thing. 3 amazing side scrolling Castlevanias too.

ripeavocado

Banned
The best handheld ever made was the PSP, ahead of its time, then the original GB.

Switch Lite is third to last among the Nintendo and Sony console, better than the regular Switch and the 3DS.

After them all the other handhelds by other manufacturers

Last edited:

kunonabi

Its not even Nintendo's best handheld. GBA SP, DSi, and the New 3DS all smoke the Switch as far as being a handheld goes.

KemoSabe

I think og switch with cfw is the best.
But maybe Vita is better because of the oled screen...
Both are great.
But switch lite, not so much

RAIDEN1

What about the Gameboy? doesn't its sales figure speak of it being the greatest handheld there ever was? None of the competitors could get touching distance to it: Sega, Sony, SNK

Top Bottom