• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Lite has reinvigorated my love for gaming again.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Recently I have been feeling so burnt out with modern gaming. Cyberpunk, UbiSoft cookie cookie cutter gaming, the death of Silent Hill, Kojima no longer making MGS, Battlefields with its broken gaming and broken promises and GAAS.

I've been finding it tough to just play. The last games I truly enjoyed were FF7 Remake and RE2 remake and even they were remakes of older games from generations I am sure many of us here would wax poetic about.

So today after a recent break up I found myself itching to get back into gaming again and thought screw it, why not give modern gaming another shot? So I bought a sleek black LE Pokemon Switch Lite with Metroid Dread, Shin Megami Tensei V and Monster Hunter Rise and some NGPC games from the eshop.

The quality of the games is amazing, reminding me of gaming eras long gone by and the system itself is light, a great screen and fits easily into my pocket. It looks great too. I'm glad that we still have companies like Nintendo still around to deliver gaming experiences that makes me feel like a kid again playing SNES and Megadrive and hanging onto every new game release. Even if Nintendo are not perfect it just feels great to able to come back from nearly giving up on gaming altogether to feeling like an excited kid all over again.

What say you Gaf? Any similar experiences or feelings on the matter?

Last edited:

BlackTron

God I wish we could get something with the form factor of the Lite that still connected to the TV. I agree it's a way better portable than the standard Switch but taking away all the other features kills it for me.

If Nintendo had a more robust online system that synced all your saves easily I'd still get a Lite and just leave the normal Switch docked all the time. But it would fragment all the games and saves which kills the whole quick/adaptable point of Switch.

I agree Nintendo fills a very necessary need in the business but as someone who had already bought everything on Wii U, Switch output hasn't been THAT exciting. But if I just walked in now and hadn't played anything since Wii or Gamecube I'd be floored by what's on offer. Legitimately great games.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
if you want quality title that feels like PS2 era game design try Astral Chain.

also, I mean... Breath of the Wild is a must imo
Cheers. Yeah BOTW is a game I messed around with previously on Wii U but Astral is one I want to get.

Tbh I really would love to see a Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD port.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Metroid Dread was fine, although not as good as the older games. SMTV runs like shit though. If you are not too regarding towards blur and poor performance, the console will be okay I guess.

Man... I don't give a shit. I'm desperate for quality gaming and SMT V delivers. Metroid Dread is great. Having a blast. Reminds me the SNES Metroid era so I'm happy.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
You got the right games, OP, those are superb games with traditional feel, your problem is not with gaming but modern gaming... It happens to me a lot honestly

I couldnt agree more. It just feels good to play the type of games that made me feel in love with gaming in the first place.

I'm looking at getting Live a Live which is a remake of a rare SNES jrpg, Fire Emblem Three Houses (and maybe it's sequel) and Triangle Strategy. Any other ones I should pick up?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I couldnt agree more. It just feels good to play the type of games that made me feel in love with gaming in the first place.

I'm looking at getting Live a Live which is a remake of a rare SNES jrpg, Fire Emblem Three Houses (and maybe it's sequel) and Triangle Strategy. Any other ones I should pick up?
Yeah, Japanese games tend to bring me good vibes but also feel "fun"... Another game that made feel that way is Doom 2016, haven't played Eternal (soon will, btw), but there's a traditional lost gaming atmosphere around it I loved, specially some already lost game-y elements like colored doors + keys and such. It's just a matter of finding the right game btw, right now I'm playing Control and while not conservative at all, the game feels soooo good, and the space horror elements makes it way above anything else I've tried the past 6 months

Thank you bro I would really appreciate that!
Yep, I'll put something together.

Triangle Strategy is probably top of my list though. You have the two best action games with Dread and Rise already, but if you like SRPGs, it's a masterpiece. Slow paced, heavy emphasis on story - but it's phenomenal.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/triangle-strategy-is-the-best-srpg-ever-made-no-spoilers.1633648/

Also the new Kirby is insanely underrated. It's pretty much a casual platforming masterpiece. And I'm not exaggerating with that word. It's truly a fantastic game.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

i recommed checking out these games(probably after 3 months or so with all you bought)

-don't miss out on Astral Chain, Platinum and Nintendo brand new action(RPG) game , its one of the best in the system, stylish with plenty of combat options, rad music, plenty of content, also anything Bayonetta of course, specially now with 3 coming out soon 😍.

-any game like old favorites Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Dragons Dogma, playing on handheld is a cool experience and revisiting them on the go is so fun. also DOOM and DOOM Eternal, but Switch is optional

-Xenoblade is good, but its a time sinker, i would approach cautiously, specially with 2.first one is a classic, 3 is coming soon and looks great.

Multiplayer driven games like Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart are all easy recommendion and very high quality games but there is a catch, i never bought them because Nintendo online system is just shit lol.
Maybe a month or two of the cheapest option would be worth it, Splatoon 3 is gonna be awesome

-

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Yep, I'll put something together.

Triangle Strategy is probably top of my list though. You have the two best action games with Dread and Rise already, but if you like SRPGs, it's a masterpiece. Slow paced, heavy emphasis on story - but it's phenomenal.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/triangle-strategy-is-the-best-srpg-ever-made-no-spoilers.1633648/

Also the new Kirby is insanely underrated. It's pretty much a casual platforming masterpiece. And I'm not exaggerating with that word. It's truly a fantastic game.
Great thanks. I'll definitely pick up TS. How's Fire Emblem Three Houses? Will look into Kirby too.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Welcome OP to realising what an utter cancer GaaS is to the industry.

Naturally you will find a product of much lower quality when someone designs a game to maximise the length of time you play for the sake of MTXing you as much as possible vs just selling a game once that needs to be good to actually sell.

Don't get me wrong the switch is not perfect nor is Nintendo. There are plenty of low effort titles like Pokemon and the recent Fire Emblem that obviously have no desire to even try to make the game feel polished or high quality and is there to extract money from people with no standards.

However for every one of those there's three traditional well crafted and well made first party Nintendo titles.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
i recommed checking out these games(probably after 3 months or so with all you bought)

-don't miss out on Astral Chain, Platinum and Nintendo brand new action(RPG) game , its one of the best in the system, stylish with plenty of combat options, rad music, plenty of content, also anything Bayonetta of course, specially now with 3 coming out soon 😍.

-any game like old favorites Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Dragons Dogma, playing on handheld is a cool experience and revisiting them on the go is so fun. also DOOM and DOOM Eternal, but Switch is optional

-Xenoblade is good, but its a time sinker, i would approach cautiously, specially with 2.first one is a classic, 3 is coming soon and looks great.

Multiplayer driven games like Smash Bros, Splatoon, Mario Kart are all easy recommendion and very high quality games but there is a catch, i never bought them because Nintendo online system is just shit lol.
Maybe a month or two of the cheapest option would be worth it, Splatoon 3 is gonna be awesome

-

Yeah man. I'm gonna get TS, Astral Chain and one of the fire Emblem games after I finish with these games. I just got Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen on sale from the eshop so I'm good to go with that one lol.

Kssio_Aug

Agreed! Switch is an amazing platform!! Tons of fantastic games! I also love mine!

Best Friends Reaction GIF by Rocky

Great thanks. I'll definitely pick up TS. How's Fire Emblem Three Houses? Will look into Kirby too.
Three Houses is solid like all FE games. Personally, I wasn't as into it since it's so heavily anime and going further towards the Persona / dating sim stuff. But really it's a great game worth playing if you're at all interested.

I think Triangle Strategy is like 20x better though.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Welcome OP to realising what an utter cancer GaaS is to the industry.

Naturally you will find a product of much lower quality when someone designs a game to maximise the length of time you play for the sake of MTXing you as much as possible vs just selling a game once that needs to be good to actually sell.

Don't get me wrong the switch is not perfect nor is Nintendo. There are plenty of low effort titles like Pokemon and the recent Fire Emblem that obviously have no desire to even try to make the same feel polished or high quality and is there to extract money from people with no standards.

However for every one of those there's three traditional well crafted and well made first party Nintendo titles.

Definitely agree with all of that. For sure there's low effort games from Nintendo (fuck the modern Pokemon games), but as you said the ratio for that with Switch is so much lower. Which Fire Emblem game were you talking about BTW?

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Three Houses is solid like all FE games. Personally, I wasn't as into it since it's so heavily anime and going further towards the Persona / dating sim stuff. But really it's a great game worth playing if you're at all interested.

Tbfh I loved Persona 5 Royal and got really into the whole dating sim part so FE sounds like a winner. I love a good SRPG so I'll get TS and FE next for sure.

BTW SMT V is HARD. I love it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm happy for you OP. I don't play my Switch as much I used to, but I think that's more on me having a fuck ton of options when it comes to choosing where to play, rather than the Switch's fault.

Here's a short list of the top of my head of the not-so-obvious must play games:
  • Ikaruga. All day, every day, until you either beat it or start changing polarities in real life.
  • GatoRoboto. A short and sweet metroidvania, with the caveat that you are a kitty which can pilot a mecha. It's both fun and very original.
  • Baba is You. This game made me feel dumb as fuck, but hey Baba is Cute, so give it a try.
  • Octopath Traveler. I've seen some people say it's not very good, but man I can't agree. Cool graphics and music, the story is between meh and nice and the combat is pretty cool. Not very challenging tho.
  • Hollow Knight. It's everywhere but for me the perfect place to play it is on the Swich. Portable mode + little bugs = comfymax.
  • Iconoclasts. Can't remember a lot about it, but I remember it being pretty, fun and challenging. Very good game.
All of those run perfectly on the Switch. There are other amazing games like CrossCode which I cannot recommend on the Switch, due to poor performance. My tip would be to google "(name of the game) switch port" to get and idea on how a game runs before making a purchase.

Kssio_Aug

I have yet to play Fire Emblem, and was exactly the sim stuff that made me postpone. I mean, I actually love Persona so is not that I actually find this mechanic bad, is just it's quite time consuming and nowadays I kinda enjoy to jump straight into the action. Still plan on playing it though.

Jaybe

Congratulations on finding a new platform to indulge in. Nintendo is doing a good job with more gameplay focused moderate titles. I was playing the recent Zelda remake a while back on vacation and enjoyed it.

CS Lurker

Zelda link's awakening is great, even more if you're playing portable only. Fits really well on the small screen.

Also loved Luigi's mansion 3. Switch has some great games. I just hope Nintendo will keep that on the next hardware...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Definitely agree with all of that. For sure there's low effort games from Nintendo (fuck the modern Pokemon games), but as you said the ratio for that with Switch is so much lower. Which Fire Emblem game were you talking about BTW?

Three houses, honestly I was gobsmacked by the lack of quality in the school (get stuck on tiny bits of terrain, it feels like a unity game using premade unity assets etc) and just the fact they refuse to evolve the animations in battle.

For example Fire Emblem Three houses.

That's what you get for attack animations, in a turn based strategy where due it's nature you can be flashy... vs anouther title on switch in the same genere.

I get it... but come on Nintendo... make some changes to make basic stuff look cool feel polished.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Three houses, honestly I was gobsmacked by the lack of quality in the school (get stuck on tiny bits of terrain, it feels like a unity game using premade unity assets etc) and just the fact they refuse to evolve the animations in battle.

For example Fire Emblem Three houses.

That's what you get for attack animations, in a turn based strategy where due it's nature you can be flashy... vs anouther title on switch in the same genere.

I get it... but come on Nintendo... make some changes to make basic stuff look cool feel polished.

Hmm maybe I'll wait for the new entry coming out soon. Thanks for the heads up man.

Hmm maybe I'll wait for the new entry coming out soon. Thanks for the heads up man.
Just so you don't get mixed up, the new one coming out this summer is a Dynasty Warriors beat em up sequel to Three Houses.

But we can probably assume a new Fire Emblem will be announced prior to the end of the Switch. They usually work pretty fast.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Recently I have been feeling so burnt out with modern gaming. Cyberpunk, UbiSoft cookie cookie cutter gaming, the death of Silent Hill, Kojima no longer making MGS, Battlefields with its broken gaming and broken promises and GAAS.

I've been finding it tough to just play. The last games I truly enjoyed were FF7 Remake and RE2 remake and even they were remakes of older games from generations I am sure many of us here would wax poetic about.

So today after a recent break up I found myself itching to get back into gaming again and thought screw it, why not give modern gaming another shot? So I bought a sleek black LE Pokemon Switch Lite with Metroid Dread, Shin Megami Tensei V and Monster Hunter Rise and some NGPC games from the eshop.

The quality of the games is amazing, reminding me of gaming eras long gone by and the system itself is light, a great screen and fits easily into my pocket. It looks great too. I'm glad that we still have companies like Nintendo still around to deliver gaming experiences that makes me feel like a kid again playing SNES and Megadrive and hanging onto every new game release. Even if Nintendo are not perfect it just feels great to able to come back from nearly giving up on gaming altogether to feeling like an excited kid all over again.

Love my OLED. That LE you got is a real looker. Metroid Dread and Rise are fantastic games 💪

cireza

Banned
Man... I don't give a shit. I'm desperate for quality gaming and SMT V delivers. Metroid Dread is great. Having a blast. Reminds me the SNES Metroid era so I'm happy.
That's great. As someone who has been playing Nintendo games since the NES, I eventually got tired of the technical limitations with their machines after the Wii. This does not make the games bad. However their games don't change much, pretty much the same thing with each new console. I guess it's great if you have been missing for a long time.

Last edited:

TexMex

I don’t like the Switch. Certainly not as much as most people. But when I got the Lite I used my switch way, way more. The form factor felt better, the battery life was better, it was just all round more enjoyable to use. It’s pretty nice.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I loved the size and weight of the Lite. Didn't play enough in order to judge the screen quality, but what killed it for me was the speakers. I really don't like using headphones, and I found the speakers on the Lite to be truly subpar.

But we'll see. I loved the black Pokémon edition of it. It looked damn nice. Maybe I'll give it another shot later on.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
That's great. As someone who has been playing Nintendo games since the NES, I eventually got tired of the technical limitations with their machines after the Wii. This does not make the games bad. However their games don't change much, pretty much the same thing with each new console. I guess it's great if you have been missing for a long time.
I haven't been engaged with Nintendo games for years so I was desperate to get back to it. Even with the technical limitations of their first party and third party exclusive output. It's so refreshing coming from the same old modern gaming where everything feels tired and just broken.

Last edited:

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
I loved the size and weight of the Lite. Didn't play enough in order to judge the screen quality, but what killed it for me was the speakers. I really don't like using headphones, and I found the speakers on the Lite to be truly subpar.

But we'll see. I loved the black Pokémon edition of it. It looked damn nice. Maybe I'll give it another shot later on.

Yeah man it's headphones all the way. Screw the speakers. And yeah it's gorgeous.

Last edited:

Happened to me some time ago.

Bought my first proper xbox ala Series S.

Enjoying gaming again as my main hobby.

You just need to shake up things a bit.

I haven't been engaged with Nintendo games for years so I was desperate to get back to it. Even with the technical limitations of their first party and third party exclusive output. It's so refreshing coming from the same old modern gaming where everything feels tired and just broken.
So you haven't played any of the Wii U games either then? Dang dude.

Obviously get Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. You have years of stuff to play lol.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Certainly agree. The Switch and the Steam Deck really reinvigorates our love of gaming after the countless AAA 3rd person action adventure cinematic pretentious games that play similar to each other.

Jaybe

So you haven't played any of the Wii U games either then? Dang dude.

Obviously get Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. You have years of stuff to play lol.
WiiU had such amazing games and backwards compatibility with Wii. Such a shame it didn’t catch on but quite badly marketed. Glad most of the heavy hitters got Switch ports.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
WiiU had such amazing games and backwards compatibility with Wii. Such a shame it didn’t catch on but quite badly marketed. Glad most of the heavy hitters got Switch ports.

I need Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD ports. Why the fuck Skysword Sword got a port and they didn't is a travesty that needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom