• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System Is Officially 30 Years Old Today (in the US)

93xfan

Banned
Getting one for Christmas was one of my highlights as a kid. Super Mario World and F Zero blew my mind! The next year, with Zelda: AlttP, Super Castlevania 4, Super Mario Kart was amazing as well.

Later on, Donkey Kong Country 1 & especially 2 stood out, as did Illusion of Gaia.

Romulus

Even though it's not a launch title, the first thing I think of is Doom for snes. Bad version for sure, but they did the best with the hardware. Actually surprised me at the time how much content it had.

Last edited:

Ghekkus

I was 9 or 10 still playing NES and I didn't even know this thing existed until one day I went to my cousins house and he had one with Super Mario World. My mind was blown and I still remember the feeling of seeing it. Thank goodness for an upcoming birthday when I finally discovered it because it was the first console I bought with my "own" money and the only thing I've ever put on layaway at Walmart...lol.

Last edited:

Zero7

My first ever console and my first ever taste of gaming. I used to play it round my uncles everytime I visited on a Sunday afternoon, I got my own at Xmas 1993. It still works like a champ even though it looks like it's been sat in a potty for 10 years, I might try and restore the outer shell at some point.

Anyhow happy 30th SNES, we had some great time s together.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The feeling of going into a game store and seeing those SNES game cartridges, the SNES itself and its controllers is a priceless experience and memory. Even during the N64 and Gamecube days, SNES games were in the front display cases at some stores

I'm glad I got to play at least a handful of them on the actual SNES. Bought mine in 2002 along with

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Sim City
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
As console = exclusives and possible best versions of multiplatforms, faaaaaar from being the most overrated...
depends. The visuals were usually better on SNES, but the Genesis had higher framerates and depending on the game that could be an important factor. Also with Genesis games you usually had a better view on the game, meaning the aspect ratio and a higher resolution. SNES games could feel streched.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
depends. The visuals were usually better on SNES, but the Genesis had higher framerates and depending on the game that could be an important factor. Also with Genesis games you usually had a better view on the game, meaning the aspect ratio and a higher resolution. SNES games could feel streched.
Yes. I am not saying that the SNES have the best multiplatforms always, but as a general statement considering all the exclusives + the multiplatform games that are better in it...

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. I am not saying that the SNES have the best multiplatforms always, but as a general statement considering all the exclusives + the multiplatform games that are better in it...
Just wanted to point out that there are definitely reasons to prefer the genesis version of a multiplatform game, even if that means the graphical fidelity is worse.
For example Earthworm Jim. Left the genesis version, right the SNES version. The bigger apsect ratio of the Genesis version makes it more fun to play because you can see more and react better to the actions of the game. A lot of people also take better framerate over better graphics. In case of Earthworm Jim the Genesis version also has a better soundtrack (another point were the SNES usually wins).

image.png

Bakkus

Amazing console. I've played a lot of games on that system in recent years which came out before I was born or an infant.

wondermega

It feels crazy to think that this is already 3 decades old. I am genuinely feeling depressed over here. I remember when SNES felt so unbelievably cutting edge, even when PS1 and PS2 were all the rage, the system still felt rather contemporary between aesthetics and gameplay. But I suppose it is true, time waits for no man. In hindsight, I think I enjoyed Genesis more, overall (it had a good couple of years or so on the SNES and those were truly my golden years of video gaming!) but really I loved both consoles - still do!

Top Bottom