• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The summer movie season this year is going to be absolutely insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-wood

I can't remember a summer in recent memory that had this many big movies I wanted to see. It's almost every single weekend there is a big release, i'm going to be broke. It all starts next month:

May 5th: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
May 19th: Alien: Covenant
May 25th: Baywatch
May 26th: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

June 2nd: Wonder Woman
June 9th: The Mummy
June 16: All Eyez on Me & Cars 3 & Rough Night
June 23rd: Transformers: The Last Knight

July 7th: Spider-Man: Homecoming
July 14th: War for the Planet of the Apes
July 21st: Dunkirk
July 28th: Atomic Blonde

August 4th: The Dark Tower

There's maybe 3 weekends where there isn't something I want to see. Anyone else looking at this list like DAMN, my wallet?

TheSun

This the only way I can consume Offtopic Community posts, through mistakes.

There's a Baywatch movie?
Oh and Planet of the Apes is this year too?

Good shit.

Hmm. 1-2 I want to see in May, depending on Alien's reviews.
1 I'm cautiously interested in, in June. (Please, please, please be good Wondy)

But, all four of the July selections are must-sees for me. Shit.

Would be so-awesome if there was a Alien Covenant game that was along the lines of Dead-space...

Alien Isolation is a much better game that Dead Space.
Unpopular opinion?

kewlmyc

*Insert low effort "this is the video game section" joke*

Yeah, I agree. I'm really only looking forward to GotG2 and War of the Planet of the Apes though.

It's a packed year, but I can't help but feel like everything in June is going to underperform. A lot of potential bad bets in there.

DonShula

TIL another Apes movie is coming out. Have heard zero about it to this point.

I'm in for GOTG, WW, Spider-Man, and Cars 3 for the kids. Maybe Dunkirk and Apes.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Would be so-awesome if there was a Alien Covenant game that was along the lines of Dead-space...

I'd be happy with a Dead Space game along the lines of Dead Space

j-wood

Dammit, that's what I get for having multiple tabs open.

But still, if this release schedule was in the height of the video game tie in days? Whew.

Theorry

Looking forward the most to Wonder Woman.

Btw crazy we only saw one little teaser so far for Dunkirk. Where other July movies had 2 trailers already.

Sometimes i wish i enjoyed these kinds of films.

But then again i don't have the money to sustain their consumption.

Fiancé and I try to make a point to catch the early-bird pricing during the busier seasons. It might make us sound like old farts, but who can complain about $6 tickets? Waking up and heading to a 10 AM showing isn't a bad way to start a Saturday or Sunday, imo.

maxcriden

Personally only a couple of those are potentially appealing to me, I really like blockbusters but those all happen to be ones I am not keen on, and then a few other movies I'm not interested in. I'm hopeful Spider-Man will be good, and I like The Mummy series also, but I haven't seen a trailer for either (though I've seen Spider-Man in Civil War) so I don't know too much of what to expect. I didn't know what Atomic Blonde was but it looks potentially interesting.

Upcoming releases I'm interested in otherwise:

The Circle
Book of Henry (Trevorrow)
Despicable Me 3 (maybe)
Baby Driver (Wright)
Wonder
Coco
Jumanji (maybe)
Downsizing (also a maybe)

BumRush

In theatres, no matter what:

May 5th: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
May 19th: Alien: Covenant
July 7th: Spider-Man: Homecoming
July 14th: War for the Planet of the Apes
July 21st: Dunkirk

I think I saw 6-7 movies in the theatre all of last year.

Cartman86

Banned
and surprisingly I am finding it tough to really care too much about any of them. Even GotG 2. Hell the last Apes film was fantastic, but i'm not really excited for another.

Honestly June looks like the most disappointing movie month to me in quite some time. May doesn't seem great here either considering GOTG comes out this month.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not for me. Main movie I'm interested in is Spiderman and GotG Volume 2 to a lesser extent. The rest I'll catch on a steaming service.

Edit: Wonder Woman is something I'm interested in but I'm waiting for reviews and audience consensus as I've not really enjoyed the DC live action fair the last few years. I'm also sort of interested in Dunkirk but only as an excuse to go and drive out to one of the real deal IMAX theaters for some eye candy.

chaislip3

Guardians, Spider-Man, Baby Driver, and Dunkirk for me. Maybe Planet of the Apes if I have time and Wonder Woman if reviews are decent.

Sephzilla

Guardians, Pirates, and Spiderman are the only ones I'm interested in. Pirates looks like it might be better than people are expecting. I'm on the fence about Alien

More Baby Driver peer pressure.

Besides that I'm most excited for War of the Apes and Dunkirk. Atomic Blonde should be fun too. Gonna hate-watch Alien, and will probably watch and then promptly forget most of the superhero movies.

I had no freaking clue that GotG 2 came out the first weekend of May. My parents are in town that weekend. Can you say date night?!!

I sure as hell can!!!

Oersted

We are doing this dance every year, don't we? And truth to be told, I don't see the insanity. Is it because many of those have a big budget?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm actually lukewarm on this summer's crop of movies. I'm curious about Wonder Woman because I really want it to be good. The first Guardians movie I liked well enough, but it didn't leave an impression on me like it did other people. So I'm not expecting to lose my mind over Vol 2. Baywatch looks like floating garbage. It'll review low but people will eat it up anyway, like most big comedies.

I'd say Atomic Blonde, Baby Driver, and War for the Planet of the Apes are my most anticipated summer flicks this year. Spider-Man: Homecoming looks fun too, I guess.

kunonabi

Just Guardians and atomic blonde for me. Maybe Baywatch but the trailers have been pretty light on the bouncing boobs. Alien is another maybe. I've hated everything released to promote it aside from that first still so it will depend on reviews.

i'm going to be real though. ill probably end up seeing maybe 1 or 2 in the theater because of responsibilities. However, when they release in 4k blu-ray i will pick up a good amount on that list (dependent on the review and transfer ect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom