• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Story of Super Mario World | Gaming Historian

Bullet Club

Super Mario 3 was better, Super Mario 4 had the advantages and disadvantages of using new hardware AND following up on one of the greatest games of all time.

3 is awesome, especially considering the power of the system it came out on. For me, World took what was great in 3 and made it even better.

I have no issue with people preferring 3 over World though.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Pretty much a perfect game as far as I’m concerned. The only thing I hate about it are the auto-scrolling cave stages, and I never liked the look and sound of cave stages in general (I really dread going through Vanilla Dome every time).

It’s one of my favorite pick-up-and-play games. A year rarely goes by without me playing some SMW. SMB3 was more ambitious, but to me, SMW cut out a nice slice of redundancy from SMB3’s formula and what is left is platforming at its most basic. Yoshi is better than all the extra costumes from SMB3 - you can find him throughout the whole game, and you can even get him back when you lose him. Something you can’t really say about that Hammer Bro suit, that looked like the most epic shit on the manual but was easier to lose than a life in SMB 8-2.

No, SMW has less than SMB3 on paper, yet it does so much more with less, and it’s a much better game. Much bigger stages too, compared to the bitesized levels in SMB3, which way too often are over before they really began with the exception of - guess what? - caves and autoscrollers.

93xfan

Banned

A nice, long video about a classic game. The best Mario game? Maybe.

Amazing game!

Mario 3 is my favorite of all time, but World is so much fun

3 had perfect sized levels, better challenge progression, an awesome continue system where enemies, castles and boulders on the map didn’t return, better music, better art style.

world did secrets better, let you replay any level, power blocks and secret roads were a ton of fun, flying was amazing, had yoshi.

i can respect people saying they prefer either game more.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I watched this yesterday, I noticed gaming historian barely puts out videos anymore.

I remember him saying a few years ago he hired some people so he can get more videos out (then videos came out even slower)

Wonder if he lost interest or just too busy with other real life stuff.

SantaC

If he was smart he would split this video into two different ones. Because he talks even more about the launch of super nintendo than Super Mario World.

Title of his video seems a bit inaccurate

nkarafo

SMW never impressed be that much because i was already all over Sonic back then. Graphically at least, SMW looks very basic and bland compared to the visual masterpiece Sonic was in 1991.

I still liked it as a game and it certainly has more depth than Sonic but with the amazing SMB3 before it, SMW felt like a small evolutionary step (with barely improved graphics). But with Sonic there was no previous game to prepare you for it.

Never liked it.
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF

Thaedolus

Gold Member
91 was a hell of a Christmas. SMW, Actraiser, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, UN Squadron, F-Zero…my brother figured out how to hook the stereo outputs to the big speakers and he knew all the buzz words from the magazine to explain to me how impressive all the graphics were. And my friend got a Genesis that year. What a time to be a kid.

My absolute favorite Mario game.

I wish they made a modern 2D "New Super Mario World", or something like that. An HD game in that art style would look beautiful.
Knowing how safe the NSMB games are, it would probably suck and be a disgrace to the original SMW just like NMSB2 is a disgrace to SMB3. I also think the NSMB art-style is ugly.

I'd still love a more direct follow up using the same art-style (a throwback ala Sonic Mania) that grabs everything that SMW did and expands upon it, something that does what Super Mario Odyssey tried to do with 3D Collect-a-thon Mario but with 2D Sidescroller Mario.

Something that brings every element from all the classic 2D Marios (SMB1, SMB2, Lost Levels, Land, SMB3, SMW and Land 2) That would be a true SMW2 (No offense to Yoshi's Island, that game is equally fantastic, it's just not a real sequel)

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I also think the NSMB art-style is ugly.
I was referring to World's art style in my post. I thought it would look fantastic in HD.

I should've probably said "Super Mario World Returns" instead of "New Super Mario World". 😂

But I agree with you on this 100%:
I'd still love a more direct follow up using the same art-style (a throwback ala Sonic Mania) that grabs everything that SMW did and expands upon it, something that does what Super Mario Odyssey tried to do with 3D Collect-a-thon Mario but with 2D Sidescroller Mario.

Something that brings every element from all the classic 2D Marios (SMB1, SMB2, Lost Levels, Land, SMB3, SMW and Land 2) That would be a true SMW2 (No offense to Yoshi's Island, that game is equally fantastic, it's just not a real sequel)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'd still love a more direct follow up using the same art-style (a throwback ala Sonic Mania)
Sonic Mania did this because that style and gameplay was the best Sonic ever had, nowhere to be found in later games.
Mario can offer good gameplay without sticking to its past in terms of graphics. Nintendo know this, that’s why they keep changing styles for Mario games. I personally never had a problem with NSMB’s style, especially when it came to better hardware than the DS’s.
NSMBU is arguably on par with SMW for creativity and design. Too bad it came at the worst time, in the worst place.

Markio128

I remember being in gaming heaven when I first bought the SNES, a pack with SMW and Street Fighter 2. I’m not sure which is my fave Mario game; M64 or SMW, but they are both top teer. Never actually felt any love for SM3, though it was fun.

nush

Is it wrong that I spend more time watching videos about games than actually playing them?

Talking about or watching about more than playing is normal. Unless you are watching lets plays of games you actually own.

RAIDEN1

What would have been better is a history about lesser known titles...something like a history of Virtua Fighter, what brought about the need for a 3d fighter in 1993...and its game changing effect on the video-game industry beyond the beat-em-up scene..

SantaC

Great video. Well researched and informative. Super Mario World is still the best 2D Mario for me. A defining masterpiece for the Super Nintendo and platform genre.
Honestly it wasnt much different from this retrospective made 2 years ago. It even uses some of the same footage.

I really wish people would apply some CRT filters in old games in a documentary like this. All the footage is of the gaming looking nothing like it did at the time. So ugly.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo’s crimes are not being accountable for graphics
nintendo years GIF

Nintendo has to pull the trigger and attack Sony and Microsoft, provide their games with realist graphics.

Sonic Mania did this because that style and gameplay was the best Sonic ever had, nowhere to be found in later games.
Mario can offer good gameplay without sticking to its past in terms of graphics. Nintendo know this, that’s why they keep changing styles for Mario games. I personally never had a problem with NSMB’s style, especially when it came to better hardware than the DS’s.
NSMBU is arguably on par with SMW for creativity and design. Too bad it came at the worst time, in the worst place.
To be honest I have to disagree, Sonic Advance exists and Sonic 4 was OK as a mobile game but shouldn't have been ported to consoles, or marketed as a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, that's also another reason why I don't want a NSMB-styled sequel to SMW btw, It's not like that matters anyways, a Mania-styled Mario that recaptures the charm that the original classic Mario games had would be a better choice.

I kinda find it a bit hypocritical that people are like "SEGA doesn't know what they're doing Sonic, they keep changing the gameplay!" but then the same people will praise Mario for the same thing.

And nah, NSMBU is bland as fuck, it lacks the feeling of adventure that Super Mario World had, is way too easy and just feels like the past 3 NSMB games. You played NSMBWii and you've already played U. It just can't be compared to SMW.
Talking about or watching about more than playing is normal. Unless you are watching lets plays of games you actually own.
Eh I think a lets play can have it's own unique value, I like to see blind lets plays of games I love just to see their reactions, it's part of the appeal, like playing the game for the first time again. I also like to see other kinds of lets plays like OneyPlays just for the humoristic value, feels more like a funny podcast with videogames in the background.
I was referring to World's art style in my post. I thought it would look fantastic in HD.
Oh! Yeah, my bad, I think an animated style would be gorgeous, just imagine a Mario game looking like Rayman Origins and Legends.

Great documentary

Super Mario World is still one of the greatest launch games of all time, and probably my favorite 2D Mario game despite all the love people give to Mario 3 (which is also good). This was really my first "next gen" experience as a kid.

And of course Nintendo shattered next-gen again with mario 64. Hopefully he does a documentary about that game.

Too bad Nintendo isn't as ambitious these days as they used to be, although arguably BOTW was ambitious in different ways.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I think you can't really go wrong between Super Marip Bros 3 or World. Both are fantastic timeless games. I give a slight edge to super Mario world for its wonderful world map. But SMB3 isn't a slouch there either.

It's tough. Both are great.

With regards to NSMB, I think the later games are actually pretty good, level design wise. But they're held back by their generic art styles and music. Give them better audio visuals and they'd probably be classics

Top Bottom